Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Or they might have had to close the job without actually making any decisions. Its rare to bother to try to go back to candidates several months later (if it's even the same hiring manager).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lockback posted:

Or they might have had to close the job without actually making any decisions. Its rare to bother to try to go back to candidates several months later (if it's even the same hiring manager).

It's very often this, as a hiring guy myself. The worst case scenario of you applying again is the application gets binned for whatever reason, so it really doesn't hurt to try. I've definitely grabbed people I've seen/tossed before to give them a shot. If you're on the fence, really punch up your cover letter and that'll be the deciding factor usually.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Apply again. I’ve been on the other end of this one and I’ve had jobs reposted for any number of reasons. I’d love it if the well-qualified candidates reapplied. I always assumed that they’d found a job by the time I reposted and would reapply if they were still interested.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Well that completely changes how I look at reposted job listings

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

If I applied for a job, did an interview, never heard back, then see the same/similar job posted several months later, is it worth applying again or can I assume I bombed so hard they didn't even consider me worth sending a rejection email?

apply, but find out why it's come up again, could be a bad place to work and the successful applicant bailed out early.

source: I just did this (as the successful applicant bailing out)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ugh how long does a background check take to come back, anyway? Is this one of those things that takes forever because of Covid now?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

navyjack posted:

Ugh how long does a background check take to come back, anyway? Is this one of those things that takes forever because of Covid now?

Between 5 minutes and never. “Background check” means a lot of different things to different companies.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Got a job interview lined up this afternoon that I am dreading a little bit. The role appears to be an upgrade in every conceivable way except I would have to be in the office 5 days a week. Current role is full-time WFH but it is definitely time to look for an exit. I've been trying to come up with a dollar amount that would make me take the role but I'm not sure it exists. I keep waking up every morning 30 minutes before the bell and thinking to myself that I would have to be on the way to the office already. What good is a job if I can't even work in my underwear all day? I'll go through with it and ask for $gently caress You if I get an offer but if they say yes then what? Commute???

Shats Basoon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 8, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you really do not want to go in to the office five days a week you shouldn't waste anyone's time (including your own) applying for this job

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

“thanks for your consideration, but after some soul-searching I’ve decided I need to work from home in my next role. Best of luck with your search.”

Kudos to you for knowing what you want. Stick with your convictions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dik Hz posted:

“thanks for your consideration, but after some soul-searching I’ve decided I need to work from home in my next role. Best of luck with your search.”

Kudos to you for knowing what you want. Stick with your convictions.
Yeah, this has been my response for the last year. Getting up several hours late is a gift. I shall not squander it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I've recently run into a potential new job/interview counteroffer situation and I'm torn. Never had to deal with a counteroffer before.

So basically here's the background. I'm happy at my current job, with the exception of the pay isn't that great compared to the private sector (I'm technically public, healthcare). A number of weeks ago a private company in the same field reached out to me on LinkedIn about a Senior engineering position. I figured it didn't hurt to hear them out and it turned into the full interview process. The work would be the same field but a different stage of the process than what I currently do, and while it's been a while since I've done some of that kind of work, I know I could do it well. But whether I'd enjoy it as much is a bit of an unknown.

Anyway there were a few initial red flags, mainly before the first interview the HR person/recruiter said that while he had said it was senior, management recently changed their minds and wanted intermediate instead. Between that and when I gave them my salary expectations (I figured I wasn't particularly motivated to move at the moment so why not shoot for the moon? Although what I gave was certainly on par for a senior position in the private sector), they balked a bit and indicated the role salary band was a fair bit lower. But basically I said I had a salary line and putting senior back on the table was also something important to me.

Cut to the most intense interview process I think I've ever had. Including the HR one, it was four separate remote interviews on different days plus a full day of in person interviews including having to give a 30 min formal presentation on a relevant past project to the team. Like it's not like this is FAANG here and I think it must have been 10-12 hours interviewing in total. One of those was a topgrading interview and whoever invented that process should be institutionalized. Two hours of constant questions from my entire career history. I'm in my 30s with a Masters and a decade of experience and they asked about my drat High School extracurriculars. The whole process really left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth given the big time investment and the fact that the questions didn't seem like a particular good use of any of our time. Don't get me wrong everyone I met at this company seemed wonderful and friendly but the intensity of the process for what was at the time on paper an intermediate position just made me wary. Every single one of my colleagues in the field seemed pretty shocked when I described what I went through and said they would have told them to pound sand had they been asked to go through it (which might explain why the job has apparently been posted for months and months).

Anyway cut to a week or two later and they come back with an offer. Pay wise it's great, a massive bump over where I am now and within the pay expectations I told the first interviewer, and when I got the official offer it was for Senior again. However I'd be giving up six days of vacation and the absolute max in five years would be less than I have now, and I'd lose the defined benefit pension I have now (they have no equivalent pension or retirement account matching program). Both jobs are hybrid but I'd be moving from 3 days home/2 in to 2 days home/3 in, and my commute would go from a nice walk to 45 min on transit. But again, it was a big dollar amount they were throwing around.

Because I like my current job I figured it didn't hurt to go to my boss and see what they could do. Without going into exact numbers, they can give me a sizeable bump getting me within 10% of what the other guy is offering base. The other company is offering additional variable comp worth around another 10-12%, but I figure the pension more than makes up for that. I was a bit surprised since I know people who left for more pay (it's almost always been more pay) and they didn't counter with anything like that for them. Plus my current boss also indicated that while I was due to be promoted anyway in a month or so, titles were flexible and I could use Senior if I stayed. Basically, what they're offering is enough of a boost that had they given me this (or told me the promotion would be this) a couple of months ago I would have been happy enough to probably not even go through this whole process. Plus with Canada looking like we're entering a recession real soon, I'm a bit wary of jumping ship from an extremely stable job to being the new guy at place that has had extremely rapid growth over the past few years that, without going into details again, I have concerns about their ability to weather a major recession compared to where I am now.

Anyway aside from the question of big $$$ vs. quality of life, job security, and eventual retirement, I've been trying to figure out what the ups and downs are of accepting a counteroffer and how to best politely turn the other company down if I go for it. There's plenty of articles about downsides to doing it, but they all seem to be written by recruiting firms so they don't seem the most trustworthy. They all go on about being perceived as "disloyal" which is pretty loving funny since company loyalty has been dead for decades in anything vaguely tech related. They also go on about how X% of employees who take counteroffers leave within a year anyway because they were already looking. But I guess in my situation, I wasn't really? So basically if I like the work I do and I think I can still get some career growth here, what are the real downsides to accepting a counteroffer?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

The "disloyalty" thing is a huge red flag to me to never read anything from that author again. It's business not a marriage. If you like the counteroffer do it!

One thing I've used in the past is "another company offered me something that you can't match, so while I'm happy that you would like to work with me, it'll have to wait for another time"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Your interview process and WFH situation has forced me to conclude that I am not a culture fit for your organisation. Thank you for your time".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I just want to re-enforce that I probably wouldn't jump from a comfortable job for a comp difference of 10-15%, especially with the commute difference.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

I just want to re-enforce that I probably wouldn't jump from a comfortable job for a comp difference of 10-15%, especially with the commute difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

"Your interview process and WFH situation has forced me to conclude that I am not a culture fit for your organisation. Thank you for your time".

you should only do this if you really conclude that you don't want to work there in the future.

but yeah:

Lockback posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should only do this if you really conclude that you don't want to work there in the future.

but yeah:
A bullshit interview practice like that would make me conclude thusly. They aren't paying you for that day and half of your working life, so they'll probably lay other bullshit demands on your time going forward. Sooo... yeah :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

A bullshit interview practice like that would make me conclude thusly. They aren't paying you for that day and half of your working life, so they'll probably lay other bullshit demands on your time going forward. Sooo... yeah :shrug:

I don't disagree with that but I don't think I'm in a position to make that decision for the OP!

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Shats Basoon posted:

Got a job interview lined up this afternoon that I am dreading a little bit. The role appears to be an upgrade in every conceivable way except I would have to be in the office 5 days a week. Current role is full-time WFH but it is definitely time to look for an exit. I've been trying to come up with a dollar amount that would make me take the role but I'm not sure it exists. I keep waking up every morning 30 minutes before the bell and thinking to myself that I would have to be on the way to the office already. What good is a job if I can't even work in my underwear all day? I'll go through with it and ask for $gently caress You if I get an offer but if they say yes then what? Commute???

maybe a post for the negotiation thread but I was offered the job. Before the offer I did have an amount in mind that would have made me make the leap which was 30% over what I currently make, high but not unrealistic. The initial offer came in at 5% over. I told her my ask and she hemmed and hawed about market rate and this and that and tried to make me justify my salary. I just said I wasn't trying to get into an argument about it and that was my ask. She increased it to 15% and I said no thanks and wished her luck. End of the saga it appears.

Shats Basoon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 15, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Good outcome, and nice job negotiating here. Sometimes the right answer is for the offer to be abandoned.

fwiw, unless I disliked my job I probably wouldn't move for 15% anyway, unless it REALLY opened up advancement opportunities down the line. 15% to go from WFH to in office+ commute? No freakin way.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I asked this in the negotiation thread, but it's more appropriate here. Anyone have any opinions on the usefulness and best way of making statements on a resume related to the value of work done? For example:

Direct:

quote:

... generated $4.3 million in revenue ...

More vague:

quote:

... generated millions in revenue ...

Generalized:

quote:

... generated high revenue ...

I think it's useful to put this info on a resume, I'm just curious if there is a preferred way to state it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

downout posted:

I asked this in the negotiation thread, but it's more appropriate here. Anyone have any opinions on the usefulness and best way of making statements on a resume related to the value of work done? For example:

Direct:

More vague:

Generalized:

I think it's useful to put this info on a resume, I'm just curious if there is a preferred way to state it.

Always be specific. $4.3M. Those numbers only matter in context and if someone said millions in revenue I dont know if they mean $2M or $200M. That they don't know how that reads is suspect to me and it'd make my bs flag tingle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Always be specific. $4.3M. Those numbers only matter in context and if someone said millions in revenue I dont know if they mean $2M or $200M. That they don't know how that reads is suspect to me and it'd make my bs flag tingle.

I'd assume single digit millions. Otherwise, you'd say tens or hundreds of millions. This can be useful to provide orders of magnitude if you are for some reason restricted from supplying exact numbers. If you aren't restricted, give the real number.

If you write "generated high revenue" your resume goes directly in the recycling bin.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I think that pretty much matches what the other thread was saying. Say the number if you have it (and be able to back it up in some way). Vague values like millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions can be use where restricted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

downout posted:

I think that pretty much matches what the other thread was saying. Say the number if you have it (and be able to back it up in some way). Vague values like millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions can be use where restricted.

Right on, and while you shouldn't make up numbers, you don't need receipts, you know what I'm saying? These things can always be sliced a million different ways, take the way that is not lying but also makes you look as good as possible.

You're not doing yourself any favors being humble or downplaying achievements in a resume. Any of us hiring folks probably can think of a dozen examples of people who almost missed out on jobs because they didn't give their achievements their proper due (while plenty of others are exaggerating the hell out of everything).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

Right on, and while you shouldn't make up numbers, you don't need receipts, you know what I'm saying? These things can always be sliced a million different ways, take the way that is not lying but also makes you look as good as possible.

You're not doing yourself any favors being humble or downplaying achievements in a resume. Any of us hiring folks probably can think of a dozen examples of people who almost missed out on jobs because they didn't give their achievements their proper due (while plenty of others are exaggerating the hell out of everything).

yeah without exaggeration there are two kinds of resume writers: those who are concerned about the provenance and provability of their claims, and those who pump their own tires. you want to be the latter. yes, this feels awkward a lot of the time.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I’ve been at my current job for 8 months and it looks like I am about to fire. Every other job I’ve had in my life I’ve lasted years at. I’m currently panicking and re-evaluating so many life choices.

Should I leave this job off my resume? Will it be a giant black mark against me?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No, a 9 month gap looks worse on a resume than a 9 month job.

You get one mulligan on leaving a job after less than a year every 7-8 years or so. poo poo happens. You'll probably land at a better job at a better company. Many people look back on that time they got fired as the best thing that ever happened for their career. Myself among them.

Are you sure you're about to be fired, i.e. you're already on a PIP or your employer is known to be doing layoffs? Or are you just being insecure?

Assuming it actually happens, it's important to be honest and self improve. Were you fired for poor performance? Ask yourself if it was really the right job/right field for you, and consider how you can improve. Were you fired for political reasons? You might consider how you can gain more proficiency in navigating the political game board you'll find in any organization of any size. Was it simply because some executive wanted to free your job up for their relative/sycophant or your whole team got axed in a reorg? Just a random stroke of fortune that shouldn't bother you, you can just enjoy getting paid to spend the next few months finding a better job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

You get one mulligan on leaving a job after less than a year every 7-8 years or so. poo poo happens. You'll probably land at a better job at a better company. Many people look back on that time they got fired as the best thing that ever happened for their career. Myself among them.

Are you sure you're about to be fired, i.e. you're already on a PIP or your employer is known to be doing layoffs? Or are you just being insecure?

Assuming it actually happens, it's important to be honest and self improve. Were you fired for poor performance? Ask yourself if it was really the right job/right field for you, and consider how you can improve. Were you fired for political reasons? You might consider how you can gain more proficiency in navigating the political game board you'll find in any organization of any size. Was it simply because some executive wanted to free your job up for their relative/sycophant or your whole team got axed in a reorg? Just a random stroke of fortune that shouldn't bother you, you can just enjoy getting paid to spend the next few months finding a better job.

This is all gold and I agree, especially about a bad job every now and then not being a big deal.

Also, if you think you barely escape the ax, you should be looking for a new job now. In general it's going to be easier to find that next thing while you're still employed. Especially if you have longer jobs on your resume just saying "Yeah I moved to this company but even though they are great I am not finding the fit to be what I was hoping for" (never badmouth).

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was given a review that everything was going well about 3 months ago. I made a mistake at work just as they hired my supervisors son to work at the same thing I've done. Last week I was put on final warning for the mistake I've made. If I'm being honest with myself I did gently caress up and I'm seeing a therapist about treatment for focus issues and ADD that again if I'm being honest with myself have been getting worse the last few years. The timing of the son hiring also raised my hackles but theres nothing I can do about that. It is what it is.

I'm just getting a very bad feeling as I was told about 2 days later after that final warning I had 2 weeks to improve. I've been trying to do exactly what I'm told to do but the supervisor with the son has been really hostile and weird and seeing as how he effectively controls my fate it looks bad.

I'm just really REALLY frustrated and angry with the entire situation and myself. I have a family, young kids and literally bought a new car like 3 months into this job so unemployment is TERRIFYING for me! I've been ghosted by at least 2 recruiters after giving them my resume, wasn't even allowed to explain the current situation.

My mental health is kind of in the shitter right now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Morand posted:

hired my supervisors son to work at the same thing I've done

Yeah okay. That's all there is to know here really.

You definitely should prioritize your mental health, but you really need to internalize that there was nothing you could have done here. Your boss was looking for the first excuse to get you out of their kid's way and if it hadn't been that particular thing it would have been something else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah okay. That's all there is to know here really.

You definitely should prioritize your mental health, but you really need to internalize that there was nothing you could have done here. Your boss was looking for the first excuse to get you out of their kid's way and if it hadn't been that particular thing it would have been something else.
Barring the kind of mistake that'd be truly legendary, this is the most sensible read. Your supervisor is trying to get their son a leg up by standing on you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Even if you skate by I'd really suggest leaving this job behind you anyway. Advice applies universally, start looking around. Getting ghosted by recruiters is really nbd. And I wouldn't even bother telling this story to them either, honestly. Just say its not a great fit and you're looking for something new.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Morand posted:

I was given a review that everything was going well about 3 months ago. I made a mistake at work just as they hired my supervisors son to work at the same thing I've done. Last week I was put on final warning for the mistake I've made. If I'm being honest with myself I did gently caress up and I'm seeing a therapist about treatment for focus issues and ADD that again if I'm being honest with myself have been getting worse the last few years. The timing of the son hiring also raised my hackles but theres nothing I can do about that. It is what it is.

I'm just getting a very bad feeling as I was told about 2 days later after that final warning I had 2 weeks to improve. I've been trying to do exactly what I'm told to do but the supervisor with the son has been really hostile and weird and seeing as how he effectively controls my fate it looks bad.

I'm just really REALLY frustrated and angry with the entire situation and myself. I have a family, young kids and literally bought a new car like 3 months into this job so unemployment is TERRIFYING for me! I've been ghosted by at least 2 recruiters after giving them my resume, wasn't even allowed to explain the current situation.

Everyone makes mistakes at work. None of what you’re experiencing is normal. Don’t internalize anything based on this company being lovely.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Morand posted:

Person who hires/fires and who has ADHD here. ADHD is a double edged sword and it looks like you might have been cut a bit. Happens, you'll be okay.

Eight months when you've previously been at places for 3+ years isn't a black mark.

50/50 they're building a case to terminate you. Hedge your bets by getting going on resumes and apply apply apply. If you think they're gonna fire you any effort at the job over the minimum is wasted. Spend that effort on applying.

If you're in the USA and dont mind playing a little rough with them, give them ADA notice of your ADHD disability and request an accomodation that includes more time on assignments. If they've been sued before it'll spook them enough they'll want to paper over your termination better. This can likely buy you some extra time.

Do what you can to rally emotionally. If possible, can you get that sweet sweet hyperfocus component going? Is there a biz you always wanted to start?

FWIW I've been fired twice and every time my life has gotten better. First at 16 from a retail job where I'd buy clothes with employee discount and sell them on eBay. Got a better job at an eBay consignment store 22 hours later. Second time from a FAANG. I had made kinda typical junior level mistakes there, ones highly ADHD related. Ended up with a better job that I liked more after about 60 days. Both of those experiences led to where I am today, a very happy entrepreneur. I was able to complete my master's at the job I got after the FAANG termination. I was able to marry my wife. Life got WAY better...though it took a few months and a lot of work.

This poo poo sandwich has a tiny nugget of opportunity, use your ADHD to find it.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Also like, it's perfectly normal and reasonable to just find another job if your coworkers/managers are actively making you hate life

...they said, angling to do exactly that :v:

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Thank you all for your kind replies. It means a lot.

I’m seeing my Doctor tonight about getting on some type of medication in regards to the ADD. There was a “check in” meeting that my entire team save me had today which was clearly about me. I wasn’t immediately fired after it so progress? I was given a bunch of tasks today too I was able to do without issue so I at least had a decent day and feel better then I have.

If anyone is able to give resume tips or willing to do a quick review with me I’d be very appreciative. I definitely need to revamp it I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Redact identifying info and :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Morand posted:

There was a “check in” meeting that my entire team save me had today which was clearly about me.
This is not normal and is highly unprofessional. Your manager is poo poo.