Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like Undertale but hate Homestuck after reading a good huge chunk of it but can understand why Undertale isn't for everyone or why someone might like Homestuck

I think Slowbeef explained Undertale pretty well, he basically said that it's a fun cute little game with a lot of wit and clever ideas and now that it's been declared the best game of all time it absolutely cannot live up to that label when new players are introduced and it massively amplifies any dislike for it

Please do not reply to the GamerGator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

ikanreed posted:

Whatever "side" of gamergate you fall on, gamergate is exactly the kind of intellectual masturbation constantly missing the complex reality forest for the pedantic trees that this thread was made to mock.

Nah. The thing with the Darkly Enlightened, the Alt-Right, and LWers is that they've all turned away from the forest of Reality and declared the clear cut stumps left behind when the chainsaws of Enlightenment went through the most important part of the woods.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"don't harass women" is truly intellectual masturbation you stupid idiot

No you idiot. Just gamergate itself

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
(E: never mind)

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Aug 30, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

No you idiot. Just gamergate itself

Whooooooosh

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I think Slowbeef explained Undertale pretty well, he basically said that it's a fun cute little game with a lot of wit and clever ideas and now that it's been declared the best game of all time it absolutely cannot live up to that label when new players are introduced and it massively amplifies any dislike for it

Like, I legit believe it is the best game of all time but this is basically true because that sets an impossibly high imagined bar for anyone who's going in blind.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Also, those of you who think GamerGate has gone away are tragically mistaken, one need only look to the Ghostbusters thread in CineD to find some right here on Something Awful.

It's fine as long as you don't mention you liked the film there, that you thought it was okay or say you dislike RLM.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I like Undertale but hate Homestuck after reading a good huge chunk of it but can understand why Undertale isn't for everyone or why someone might like Homestuck

The Understuck fandom being loving weird in the first place probably has a lot to do with it. Even on SA the thread for it was full of shipping, arguments about what fanon was better and genuine rants about someone using the term genocide wrong when describing a kill everyone playthrough.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Golden Goat posted:

It's fine as long as you don't mention you liked the film there, that you thought it was okay or say you dislike RLM.

People on this forum are so obnoxious about RLM. I get that people like them and find them really funny and smart, but the amount of hero-worship is unhealthy. I have seen people brigade threads with transphobic poo poo just because a few people said they found the Plinkett reviews misognystic and apparently that meant GBS needed to come into purge all the sjws

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

RLM?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Red Letter Media, the dudes who did those long in-character critiques of the prequel trilogy and why it was poo poo

The only thing they do that's actually good is Best of the Worst tho so idk why people suck them off

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/08/29/reverse-voxsplaining-drugs-vs-chairs/

Things that are not widgets:
-medicine
-real estate
-utilities

People who should think twice about explaining anything:
-Scott Alexander

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dmitri-9 posted:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/08/29/reverse-voxsplaining-drugs-vs-chairs/

Things that are not widgets:
-medicine
-real estate
-utilities

People who should think twice about explaining anything:
-Scott Alexander

Mafioso: Alright Mr. Alexander, you write a blogpost about your views on a subject WITHOUT using bizarre and contrived analogies and counterfactuals, and you leave here ALIVE

Scott Alexander: So, uh, in regards to, uh, invasive species, uh ifgroupXlandedincountryYwithaardvarksthenwewould

BANG

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Also, those of you who think GamerGate has gone away are tragically mistaken, one need only look to the Ghostbusters thread in CineD to find some right here on Something Awful.

This thread knows all too well my experiences with the South Park thread :v:

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People on this forum are so obnoxious about RLM. I get that people like them and find them really funny and smart, but the amount of hero-worship is unhealthy. I have seen people brigade threads with transphobic poo poo just because a few people said they found the Plinkett reviews misognystic and apparently that meant GBS needed to come into purge all the sjws

To be fair to RLM, they seem to hate all their fans and find them to be stupid rear end in a top hat morons.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Joshmo posted:

To be fair to RLM, they seem to hate all their fans and find them to be stupid rear end in a top hat morons.
This is everything goons love ever, for some reason

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is everything goons love ever, for some reason

SA's running theme is that goons hate themselves.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
My immediate reaction when I read Gjoni's rant was pretty much "wow sounds like you are a stage 5 clinger and managed to strongarm someone into a relationship with you because she's overly sympathetic to broken people and didn't want to hurt your feelings; you probably should've seen the warning signs coming and not tried to start a monogamous relationship with a girl who didn't really want a monogamous relationship".

not that I have any idea what that's like at all

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think they try to pretend that it had nothing to do with Zoe now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pomp posted:

I think they try to pretend that it had nothing to do with Zoe now.

On the other hand, they also continue to spend time and effort on complaining about her

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
much like this thread

:lost:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

poptart_fairy posted:

much like this thread

:lost:

Mmmmm nah

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
yeah

I mean, there's a ton of poo poo you can level at Those People, but throwing stones about wasting time and effort on complaining is some spectacular lack of self-awareness even by PYF's usual standards.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

poptart_fairy posted:

yeah

I mean, there's a ton of poo poo you can level at Those People, but throwing stones about wasting time and effort on complaining is some spectacular lack of self-awareness even by PYF's usual standards.

I think the dividing line is calling a SWAT team on someone, which afaik, nobody on this thread has done yet

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which would make for an excellent point of criticism if it was the one used.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I mean this is the same sub-forum that got me this title for straight out calling GG drama and Milo stupid, so I dunno :iiam:

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
i got this title for explaining to someone that gender isn't binary and that being politely requested to use a certain pronoun is "something you should do out of politeness" and "not something that will lead to the death of the english language"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i got this title for shitposting on gbs

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

yeah

This would have a lot more punch if anyone here were claiming that the "PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker" thread is about anything other than making fun of DE/NRx/alt-right types.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

This site is hilarious.

Maybe we should make a separate thread called PYF Tankie or Other Authoritarian Moonbat?

I've started the thread now.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You guys do realize that poptart_fairy is just fishing for attention right?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

A million derisive comments

I feel I should defend myself. I'm in the Dark Enlightenment thread, I know the origins of gamergate and how goddamn stupid it is. The goddamn name of the thing refers to a piece by (noted crazyperson though)Leigh Alexander talking about how gaming has succeeded so much as a medium that developers no longer need to only target people thought of as 'gamers,' and that they can make things that look risky and still come out on top because of it. The weird people who made gamergate happen took this as an insult. Somehow.

But guys, it's been years. This should be over. It's been loving stupid since the goddamn beginning, but it got turned into a culture war thing. Stuff doesn't end when people still want to fight over it, and boy howdy do people still want to fight over it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Everyone shut up about gamergate.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Grondoth posted:

I feel I should defend myself. I'm in the Dark Enlightenment thread, I know the origins of gamergate and how goddamn stupid it is. The goddamn name of the thing refers to a piece by (noted crazyperson though)Leigh Alexander talking about how gaming has succeeded so much as a medium that developers no longer need to only target people thought of as 'gamers,' and that they can make things that look risky and still come out on top because of it. The weird people who made gamergate happen took this as an insult. Somehow.

But guys, it's been years. This should be over. It's been loving stupid since the goddamn beginning, but it got turned into a culture war thing. Stuff doesn't end when people still want to fight over it, and boy howdy do people still want to fight over it.

"Racism won't end if you keep pointing out racism" - what your argument sounds like.

Also Leigh Alexander is not a "noted crazyperson."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Did ClarkHat just post something vaguely pro-Black Lives Matter?

Man, he cashed in that goodwill within the hour.

Source for this speculation: :butt:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

Did ClarkHat just post something vaguely pro-Black Lives Matter?

Man, he cashed in that goodwill within the hour.

Source for this speculation: :butt:

Surely all the "um actually" post-rationalists who love smugly correcting people on science poo poo instantly called him out on imagining evolution as a teleological process, right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Besides the perfect crab would have like laser eyes or flamethrower hands or something. Also it would fly.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
The only thing I know about Homestuck is that it has a really contrived and dumb romance thing based on playing card suits. Also spitting in buckets is involved somehow.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Polybius91 posted:

The only thing I know about Homestuck is that it has a really contrived and dumb romance thing based on playing card suits. Also spitting in buckets is involved somehow.

I hope the people who are currently typing the posts that will lead to derails get urinary tract infections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

The Understuck fandom being loving weird in the first place

What is Understuck?