Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Well this was a pleasant result to wake up to. Cheers englol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And here I was thinking it couldn't get any funnier after seeing England lose 5-0 to one of the worst Aussie sides of recent history. Surely England cant get any more amusing than the last few months of World Cup horror and now this.......?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The team selection for the last two tests was mind-boggling: why are you playing two batting all rounders and only three proper bowlers? Why are you got picking at least one proper spinner in the West Indies - a country where average spinners take all the wickets in First Class cricket? Why are you batting Buttler at 8, when he's clearly better than Moeen and Stokes? Why are they even playing stokes anyway: he's not a great batsman and he's a lovely, lovely bowler...

I bet you Rashid goes back to Yorkshire and starts bowling a load of poo poo: that's what always happens with England bowlers that go on tour with England

also lol at $500 being the man of the match prize; west indies cricket really is broke

e: don't worry guys, Jimmy Anderson is man of the series, all is right with England and nothing needs to change

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

notaspy posted:

We've gone from having no batting but good bowling,now its the other way around.

From what I have seen they have neither

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Lolengland.

Lolwindies.

Lolcricket.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

gently caress it, I'll take that one. :D

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Nice to wake up to a good bit of Englanding.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's not exactly England test cricket, but I went to the USA vs Bermuda ICC Americas Region Division One Twenty20 2015 match here in Indianapolis today. It was my first time seeing live cricket, and it was awesome!

The Bermuda batsmen lost wickets in just about every way possible, which was great for explaining the game to some of the spectators who had never seen cricket before. There were only around 50 of us watching, but everyone was excited and cheering. It went down to the final couple of overs, and the USA batsman hit a no-doubter 6 to end it!

I don't think I'll be able to get off work for the midweek games, but I'm hoping to go see the final USA match on Saturday. Yay cricket!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

sounds better than english test cricket tbh

to be serious; I usually try and go whenever a big team comes to Scotland while touring England and its usually fun even though Scotland get absolutely hammered all the time

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

It's not exactly England test cricket, but I went to the USA vs Bermuda ICC Americas Region Division One Twenty20 2015 match here in Indianapolis today. It was my first time seeing live cricket, and it was awesome!

The Bermuda batsmen lost wickets in just about every way possible, which was great for explaining the game to some of the spectators who had never seen cricket before. There were only around 50 of us watching, but everyone was excited and cheering. It went down to the final couple of overs, and the USA batsman hit a no-doubter 6 to end it!

I don't think I'll be able to get off work for the midweek games, but I'm hoping to go see the final USA match on Saturday. Yay cricket!

You are enjoying cricket the right way and I am glad you had fun. Make sure next game to get everyone to create a beer snake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgSzT8j9XI

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Byolante posted:

You are enjoying cricket the right way and I am glad you had fun. Make sure next game to get everyone to create a beer snake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgSzT8j9XI

Holy poo poo that is amazing. They don't sell beer (or anything, actually) at these matches, but I'll have to try that at the next baseball game I go to!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

camoseven posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing. They don't sell beer (or anything, actually) at these matches, but I'll have to try that at the next baseball game I go to!

So beer snakes are purely cricket things? I'm surprised that they don't do that at baseball games, considering the amount of beer that gets drunk and the amount of 'down' time the spectators have when there is nothing to watch.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Someone should combine all of these into a calendar and send them to the English selectors.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They look absolutely devastated that their holiday has been cut short.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

:nws: for visible nipples on Jimmy

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 4, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Phwoah look at the nipples on Jimmy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

IceAgeComing posted:

The team selection for the last two tests was mind-boggling: why are you playing two batting all rounders and only three proper bowlers? Why are you got picking at least one proper spinner in the West Indies - a country where average spinners take all the wickets in First Class cricket? Why are you batting Buttler at 8, when he's clearly better than Moeen and Stokes? Why are they even playing stokes anyway: he's not a great batsman and he's a lovely, lovely bowler...

I bet you Rashid goes back to Yorkshire and starts bowling a load of poo poo: that's what always happens with England bowlers that go on tour with England

also lol at $500 being the man of the match prize; west indies cricket really is broke

e: don't worry guys, Jimmy Anderson is man of the series, all is right with England and nothing needs to change

Did they give any reason why they didn't play Rashid?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Seams posted:

Quotas

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seams posted:

Got to stick with a winning team, even if the bowling line up is clearly flawed and our plan of using Moeen as our first choice spinner only worked against India due to a purple patch

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Got to stick with a winning team, even if the bowling line up is clearly flawed and our plan of using Moeen as our first choice spinner only worked against India due to a purple patch

Its worth listening to the cook interview on the TMS podcast. He was convinced moeen is a first choice spinner and that they were winning until the lost unexpectedly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

England. Lmfao.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Stuart Broad looks like he either wants to eat Cook or have dirty sex behind the shed with him

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

camoseven posted:

Aw dang, I was there too! It was quite a good time. I was hoping to get the week off to go see the rest of the matches, but work is preventing that from happening.

Cat Terrist posted:

Stuart Broad looks like he either wants to eat Cook or have dirty sex behind the shed with him

Why not both?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Cook has just had quite a pop at Graves for his 'mediocre West Indies' comments before the game.

Hopefully this hastens the captaincy going elsewhere

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Maybe he should've called England mediocre. loving garbage would be more accurate though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Middlesex have done a pretty great collapse.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
County lads have got to show they can collapse properly before going on to collapse at the Test level.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Has KP been put back in the team yet?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Has KP been put back in the team yet?

I know we arw joking but where would he play?

I don't think he could work as an aggressive opener like the Warner or that Indian fella - sawag?. 3,4 and 5 are sorted. He could come in a 6 but would he be happy about that? Any lower would be just silly as he is not an alrounder.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
KP in for Stokes, Steven Finn in for Moeen to give England the right-arm fast-medium bowler they desperately need.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Finn was England's slowest bowler in the World Cup - the fastest was fuckin Chris Woakes.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
But he was England's hat-trickiest bowler. He must be good.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

notaspy posted:

I know we arw joking but where would he play?

I don't think he could work as an aggressive opener like the Warner or that Indian fella - sawag?. 3,4 and 5 are sorted. He could come in a 6 but would he be happy about that? Any lower would be just silly as he is not an alrounder.

Aside from England being a boys club how is bell sorted. 1 big score, then 11, 1 and a pair in the final test is loving awful.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bell is one of England's finest ever batsmen, didn't you see the list a few pages ago? The stats don't lie.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Even Graeme Smith gets it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...aeme-Smith.html

Doesn't matter though, he's getting it.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Trott has done the decent thing and announced his retirement from international cricket.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It was obviously coming; you could tell as we walked off after the last innings at Barbados

Although I do wonder why he decided to play in Barbados if he decided to retire in Grenada; but its not him that chooses the team and perhaps he thought he could go out on a high or something

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

IceAgeComing posted:

It was obviously coming; you could tell as we walked off after the last innings at Barbados

Although I do wonder why he decided to play in Barbados if he decided to retire in Grenada; but its not him that chooses the team and perhaps he thought he could go out on a high or something

Or Cook begged him to play so he wouldn't have to pick Lyth?

Geoffrey continues to pop off at Cook and Moores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Byolante posted:

Aside from England being a boys club how is bell sorted. 1 big score, then 11, 1 and a pair in the final test is loving awful.

A hundred and a fifty thank you very much. If you go back to the ashes in 2013 out of 35 innings he has past 50 in 13 of them. He is fine where he is just had a bad game.

Form is temporary, class is forever.