Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Lt is probably better than ancient but I've seen the ancient + apothecary combo and it's kind of hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Lt is probably better than ancient but I've seen the ancient + apothecary combo and it's kind of hilarious

Man shoots, man dies, man shoots again, man lives?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also, the restriction against shooting characters specifies "In the shooting phase". Out of phase shooting can snipe.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Also, the restriction against shooting characters specifies "In the shooting phase". Out of phase shooting can snipe.

Chances are they are being killed in the shooting phase...just not their own.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Desperate measures when a man wishes for goony company, but even the worst of us assholes in this thread would be better than NaziGuard Guy or Freeballer Utilikilt or Dicksisters Creeper.

Right? 40k Discords and other communities have given me the irrational fear that if I try and branch out to make new friends I'm going to spend many a night learning about how actually men are the ones that are oppressed and how women only want to gently caress Chads. GW is right and good for wanting to control the online image of their games via the official social media accounts.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Isn't the wording "the" shooting phase, meaning the restriction would apply to both your and your opponents shooting phase? I don't think you'd be able to shoot out of a close combat, so the only realistic situation I can see that would lead to character sniping would be losing a model during the psychic phase.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Isn't the wording "the" shooting phase, meaning the restriction would apply to both your and your opponents shooting phase? I don't think you'd be able to shoot out of a close combat, so the only realistic situation I can see that would lead to character sniping would be losing a model during the psychic phase.

There's a few other niche cases, like killing so many models the unit is no longer in melee, or deaths caused by vehicle explosion in the fight phase

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shadin posted:

Right? 40k Discords and other communities have given me the irrational fear that if I try and branch out to make new friends I'm going to spend many a night learning about how actually men are the ones that are oppressed and how women only want to gently caress Chads. GW is right and good for wanting to control the online image of their games via the official social media accounts.

Honestly I've met a ton of good people through 40k. A high number of nerds obviously but mostly harmless and definitely not weirdo reddit types.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Let's all sit and think about how Chuche's post and Corrode's fit together there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Honestly I've met a ton of good people through 40k. A high number of nerds obviously but mostly harmless and definitely not weirdo reddit types.

I think most communities are good people, with an obnoxious minority who taint the whole.

Heh heh. "Tainted whole."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 5, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Oh my sweet summer child, you have lived a charmed life.

40k is like the bilge. The worst of all eventually trickles down.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

same

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Beerdeer posted:

Let's all sit and think about how Chuche's post and Corrode's fit together there.

TTerrible , please ban this joker.

Corrode posted:

Me too, actually. I'm not sure that is the norm, but I've got a good group of a dozen or so close friends that I only know through 40k, plus a bunch of random internet 40k/30k buddies.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

A great deal of the networking I've done in my life is directly related to 40k. I would not have the job I have, the tenets I rent to, the roommate I live with, and lifelong friends I've made without this gay dead game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Naramyth posted:

A great deal of the networking I've done in my life is directly related to 40k. I would not have the job I have, the tenets I rent to, the roommate I live with, and lifelong friends I've made without this gay dead game.

And look at you now!

:v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Schadenboner posted:

And look at you now!

:v:

Mistakes were made

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So what you're saying is, put Aggressors in the Repulsor, ram the Repulsor into Abaddon, then when he cuts it in half hope they die in a fiery explosion so they can fill him with lead?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

So what you're saying is, put Aggressors in the Repulsor, ram the Repulsor into Abaddon, then when he cuts it in half hope they die in a fiery explosion so they can fill him with lead?

Hmm. Are they actually deployed before they die when you roll to see how many models die when disembarking? Since if they die before they hit the table they can't make use of it. If they do though, I would love to see this happen.

Edit: Yeah you set up all the models, then roll a 1 for the number of models inside and for each 1 pick one to die. So they hit the table first, die, then can use the standard.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Citadels thin plastic glue? 5 minutes may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but they don't hold as nicely as some of the other sculpts, price to pay for the level of customization I guess

I heavily utilize superglue even in plastic models. It's only good if you don't need to adjust that joint's fit, but it's a godsend when you need a solid join ASAP. Most single foot pose models are superglued down so there's no chance they slide or droop, and I tend to also do one arm of two armed poses(god-emperor save you if the sculptor is an rear end in a top hat and made the hands of a two handed weapon separate from both arms), because trying to get three parts lined up when there are 3 joints sliding against eachother is nigh impossible.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Corrode posted:

I met a ham player at a store who seemed really cool up to the point where his finger entered his nose and kept digging for the rest of the 5 minute conversation

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geoff Zahn posted:

I met a ham player at a store who seemed really cool up to the point where his finger entered his nose and kept digging for the rest of the 5 minute conversation

Couldn't find anything worth extracting in 5 minutes?

Poor technique or absurdly high standards?

Either way, you're probably better off not dealing with him.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Felime posted:

I heavily utilize superglue even in plastic models. It's only good if you don't need to adjust that joint's fit, but it's a godsend when you need a solid join ASAP. Most single foot pose models are superglued down so there's no chance they slide or droop, and I tend to also do one arm of two armed poses(god-emperor save you if the sculptor is an rear end in a top hat and made the hands of a two handed weapon separate from both arms), because trying to get three parts lined up when there are 3 joints sliding against eachother is nigh impossible.

The other advantage of super glue is that when you drop your models, they break between separate parts, rather than having the parts themselves snap in half.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Citadels thin plastic glue? 5 minutes may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but they don't hold as nicely as some of the other sculpts, price to pay for the level of customization I guess

How old is it? I remember when I had some glue from my first starter kit it eventually stopped bonding, or it would bond much slower and was getting kinda gummy. Maybe that was just the Florida humidity and a particularly old bottle on the shelf.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How questionable is the quality of the models from those Build + Paint kits? The cheapo dreads and speeders and termos are tempting me

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

How questionable is the quality of the models from those Build + Paint kits? The cheapo dreads and speeders and termos are tempting me

The Dreads and Speeders are apparently fine. The Termies have always seemed to be kinda lovely, in part because they're the really static poses and on slotted 25mm bases.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are they all at the proper scales and level of detail? I just look at the blue plastic and have my doubts but those are some really cheap models

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Are they all at the proper scales and level of detail? I just look at the blue plastic and have my doubts but those are some really cheap models

The Dread is definitely the cheap, lovely, pretty plain one from the old Assault on Black Reach boxes, so you might be able to get a better deal on eBay for one of those, but it will be the correct scale.

The Land Speeder is the same as the standard GW kit, from everything I've seen. It's not exactly a crazy detailed kit to begin with, so I can't imagine the quality is going to take a hit.

I'm not actually 100% sure about the Terminators. I believe the scale is correct, and the poses are current, but I can't be sure. I use the Space Hulk Terminators in my Blood Angels army, so they're not a good comparison. Someone else can probably better answer that.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Missed most of the recast chat, but quality varies wildly. I've seen stuff where you couldn't tell the difference and stuff that was just awful. Your mileage will vary. FW has pretty poo poo quality control, so I don't think you're losing much by going with :china:

Where I think recasting is worthwhile is in getting bits. GW is generally pretty good about designing weapons that are modular (arm swaps on dreads, for instance), but a lot of times if there are maybe three different weapon options, and they might all have one part in common. And of course there's only one of those on the original sprue. So you either build your model with only one of its weapon options hard-wired, or you get casts of the one bit you need to make them swappable. I have zero problems with that, because it saves me the rear end-pain of making the mold and casting the piece myself (which I have done in the past).

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If you're gonna cast small bits like shoulder pads or guns (which absolutely nobody gives a gently caress about if you're doing it for personal use) then avoid the often-mentioned ComposiMold because it's poo poo at capturing fine details, use silicone which is roughly the same price

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Friends, I am back on my bullshit:

After using the Nephilim a couple of times in 8th, and repeatedly thinking that the bomber would be better, I finally painted this thing, like 2 years after assembling it. The DA flyers have, in the 6->7 and 7->8 transitions, gotten both better and cheaper every time, and are finally maybe less than complete garbage. Excited to use this stupid loving thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The build & paint terminators are actually p good if you can pad them out with bits from the regular kit (or the Deathwing stuff from the Dark Vengeance box).

The dreadnought is great.

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I run the apoth ancient combo all the time, its so much fun with Aggressors.. double shots all day. Throw a little Big Bobby G in the background for all the rerolls and call it a day.

e: don't forget to give the ancient the standard of the emperor for those 3+ to shoots when dead.

DanoTuka fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 6, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Black Reach Dread's greatest advantage is that it's compatible with all the classic style Dread arms, including the Forge World ones. If you don't mind the boring pose they're good value.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

Nids and Eldar are October/November, confirmed, but we don't know which order.

I'm chomping at the bit for a reason to throw money at GW over new Eldar - please don't gently caress this up GW

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Plastic sisters q1 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

And having just talked about reasonable people in 40k, a guy on our club Facebook has posted looking for a game and ended with 'I WILL not fight a Codex army until my Orks get one.'

What a dweeb.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

40k is like the bilge. The worst of all eventually trickles down.

I thought that too... until my store ran a Warmahordes tournament.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Plastic sisters q1 2018

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
RE: Recasts

Given the costs of the hobby, and how upset people in the community get with the pricing I honestly thought people wouldn't see it as a slap in the face of the sculpter. I doubt that sculptors get paid royalties on the models (Please prove me wrong) so it isn't like the piracy is taking money away from anyone other than GW. In my mind it's just adding extra people to the hobby who would otherwise be priced out.

It isn't ethical to steal from a company, even from those who can be awful (like charging certain regions more simply because they can and increasing the price on arguably inferior products like pewter to finecast). In terms of damage however, I do not see very much if any to the hobby. Games of this nature need a level of activity to justify purchasing. The more people to play with, the more fun it is. I first bought the game because my friends were playing it for example. I'm interested in picking it up again because it has the largest community. Furthermore, people buying knock-offs can still purchase official items. Someone who may not have been able to afford a full 2000 point army may still purchase Knights or Tanks for example.

In other industries such as the Computer Market, IBM was cloned heavily. The IBM 360 for example had major companies that would wholesale knock it off and in my opinion (rather than fact, because I can't remember the names of papers and articles I read on this) it helped solidify mind share for the product. A worse example is the IBM PC (yeah I know they failed here). Even if people bought Compaq computers instead of PCs, they would still buy Lotus 1,2,3 and other products from IBM. Without this clone market, sales would have gone to competitors completely.

While I clearly don't see this sort of piracy a huge problem ( I think it sits more in the realm of buying knock-off name brand merchandise), I wouldn't really recommend going out and pirating GW stuff. This is mainly a thought exercise for myself and whoever reads my drivel. Plus, GW gives a lot of latitude for building your own models so you might as well just do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Honestly I think recasts are at a good, beneficial place right now for GW.

Suppose a kid buys a Chinese knight, which gateways into two start collecting Skitarri boxes, some boxed sets, the AdMech Codex, rulebook, $60 in paint and hobby supplies, etc.

A fundamental misconception of piracy is that it represents a one-for-one lost sale. But in many cases the "consumer" would never even consider paying full price for the media or goods.

But it can be used to promote associated goods.
I assume this is why HBO brags that GoT is the "most pirated show."