Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Yinlock posted:

afaik it seems to be more of a case of "won't" than "can't afford"

ok then. let them fail if they wont afford good wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol the prc is garbage

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SpaceGoku posted:

labor cost is a tiny fraction of the expense of our produce, undocumented farm laborers aren't exploited because we couldn't afford food if they were paid fairly, they're exploited because farm owners can get away with it with zero punishment
Right, and now their punishment is they lose laborers and refuse people who would work if they could live off from the wage, which they cannot due to the farms not wanting to do so, 'small' or not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't necessarily say i feel bad for the farmers who are gonna lose their farms because they don't have a bunch of illegals to pay less than minimum wage anymore

especially since the vast majority voted trump

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

ICE actually seems to murder less minorities than cops

otoh, the ICE's murders are almost 100% minorities

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

who could have possibly foreseen such consequences???

truly beyond the ken of mortal man

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ICE, who's literal job description is to hurt minorities however possible, is struggling to keep pace with the cops

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

financially racist posted:

i can't necessarily say i feel bad for the farmers who are gonna lose their farms because they don't have a bunch of illegals to pay less than minimum wage anymore

hey you talked about this a while back about being sick as a dog before your finals just curious how they went

i suggested you email your profs because i was in a similar situation once before my finals but dunno if you saw it after loogs probed you

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So Assassins Creed, if its all based on genetic memory do they only remember their ancestors up until the point they nut or like after somehow?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

The problem is agriculture is gonna suffer because it's been on the drug of being able to exploit immigrants for low wages.

you could say this about all businesses these days really

it turns out immigration really is a problem, but it's people taking advantage of them instead of evil job-stealers

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

So Assassins Creed, if its all based on genetic memory do they only remember their ancestors up until the point they nut or like after somehow?

Donald Trump is the 45th president of the United States

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Duscat posted:

otoh, the ICE's murders are almost 100% minorities

and yet they still can't match the big boys

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cumshitter posted:

hey you talked about this a while back about being sick as a dog before your finals just curious how they went

i suggested you email your profs because i was in a similar situation once before my finals but dunno if you saw it after loogs probed you

i ended up not sleeping the night before i had to take 3 exams and was still sick

i got a 96, a 95 and a 95 on those three exams rofl

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Another thing they're probably going to find out is that it's not really unskilled labor

Yeah, it's not easy to plant and pick and bundle. Even with machinery. Farmhands are integral to not only our own food supply, but a big portion of our economic position as a food exporter.

Illegal Immigration being framed the way it has been is just insanity. The two sides are "THEY'RE MOOCHERS" and "WE NEED THEM TO CONTINUE EXPLOITING THEM" and I can only hope it comes to a head and we start thinking about treating them like human goddamn beings

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Mexico eyes duty-free corn deals to counter Trump

quote:

Mexico, the world’s biggest buyer of US corn, is considering offering duty-free access to Brazilian and Argentine maize as an alternative to American imports in a move that could have big consequences for US farmers worried about Donald Trump’s trade and tax agenda.

Mexico at present imports 98 per cent of its corn from the US, and total US farm sales to Mexico were $17.7bn last year — five times greater than when the North American Free Trade Agreement came into force in 1994. Mexican corn imports from the US were worth $2.3bn in 2015, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

But Mr Trump, US president, has slammed Nafta as unfair to the US, vowing to renegotiate the deal or walk away, impelling Mexico to speed up a search for alternative suppliers in South America.

quote:

“We’re pretty far advanced with Brazil . . . Argentina is a few steps behind,” he said, adding that he expected to visit Argentina in April or May and soon after to meet Brazilian officials in his sixth such bilateral meeting since 2015.

Mr Baker said Mexico could give South American producers the same terms US farmers now enjoyed. “It’s going to be the result of negotiations but . . . if we want to give zero [tariffs], we have the possibility, if it suits us,” he said.

quote:

Without Nafta, US farmers would face expensive access to Mexico. Under World Trade Organisation rules, corn would face a consolidated tariff of 194 per cent. “Some people don’t realise that in the US,” Mr Baker said.

He noted that although Mexico had taken account of recent “brighter” comments from Wilbur Ross, US commerce secretary, and Peter Navarro, the White House’s top trade adviser, that were “brighter” than Mr Trump’s, “the reality is that the US has not yet . . . [officially] outlined its objectives, so we don’t know what they want . . . There have been some reassuring declarations but these are not the actual talks.”

US farmers are also becoming increasingly concerned. John Heck, chairman of the US National Grain and Feed Association, recently told industry executives that the organisation would “fight tooth-and-nail to preserve the many positive features” of Nafta for US agriculture.

The double whammy of US farms facing labor shortages and Mexico turning toward other markets.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 27, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i don't know poo poo about farming but we can probably survive planting season with a weakened labor force

once we actually have to harvest it'll be a shitshow though

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

apatheticman posted:

They do. There was even a flashback in the second game that specifically establishes it.

Edit: Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSapMzB7rBw

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i ended up not sleeping the night before i had to take 3 exams and was still sick

nice! glad it worked out

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

extremely How High scene voice: study sick, take the test sick, get sick grades

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

OhFunny posted:

The double whammy of US farms facing labor shortages and Mexico turning toward other markets.

yeah this is legit how famines happen but w/e it isnt' like 10% of the US already struggles with hunger or anything

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don't know poo poo about farming but we can probably survive planting season with a weakened labor force

once we actually have to harvest it'll be a shitshow though

where's that article about alabama or georgia or wherever where they tossed out the illegals and lost billions of dollars cause nobody was there to harvest the produce lmfao

that on a nationwide scale will own and i'll be happy that the exploitative fuckers get wrecked (but i'll be sad for the hardworking immigrants who just want a better life for themselves and their families)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i'm really mad about the kushner thing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

OhFunny posted:

its literally that south park episode where mexicans emmigrate to mexico because the usa sucks rear end

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Did the Assassin's Creed movie delve into the whole gods who are aliens or humanity's creators or maybe from the future I wasn't really paying attention poo poo (I think the sun's gonna explode?) or did they sidestep all that

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

OhFunny posted:

HAHA! YES!

Take that Iowa.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

if it makes you feel better ivanka is currently wishing he was a handsome canadian prime minister

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

OhFunny posted:

hey theyd need less labor to handle demand so it all works out!!!!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

OhFunny posted:

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail.

good job, jerk

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

skiing? i'm also not a big fan of how he's sitting his legs in that one picture it's hell of weird

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In extremely hank hill voice: Mexicans giving Americans famine, bwaaaaah

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail.

corn is not a crop that is affected by migrant labor shortages, though

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Yinlock posted:

ICE actually seems to murder less minorities than cops

It's only been two months, give em a chance!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yinlock posted:

if it makes you feel better ivanka is currently wishing he was a handsome canadian prime minister

this rear end in a top hat hasn't worked one goddamn second in his entire life and now he's going to destroy the government because he's loving the president's daughter

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

good job, jerk

*plays a nanometer-long violin for the financial fucken times' "intellectual" "property"*

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SpaceGoku posted:

yeah this is legit how famines happen but w/e it isnt' like 10% of the US already struggles with hunger or anything
Nah we'll just have more corn than we know what to do with.

Maybe they'll grow something else sustainable, like Hemp for food and textile production.

Grown by robots of course

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I buy all my produce from old men sitting by roads

It's funny, like 10 years ago I thought it would be nice if we one day were able to reduce the amount of cheap corn heading into Mexico so that there'd be more reasons for mexican farmers to grow old and weird strains of corn that have been around down there for a while. I feel like I must've touched a monkey's paw at some point.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 27, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/846184141179834368

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

crazy cloud posted:

*plays a nanometer-long violin for the financial fucken times' "intellectual" "property"*

they've been the good money paper ever since murdoch turned the wsj into a rag

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This movie got Omar and Jeremy Irons.

What a loving waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

its literally that south park episode where mexicans emmigrate to mexico because the usa sucks rear end

much like the reduced immigration numbers trump was just bragging about

• Locked thread