Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Isn't trans people transitioning in prison an incredibly niche issue to be worried about in an age where Republican control of the government may possibly doom civilzation as we know it?

Commenting on Harris here.

It doesn't matter that she specifically targeted trans people who happened to be in prison. Setting aside that those were the only trans people she had power over so of course those are the ones who would be affected by her, the arguments she used and such were transphobic regardless of context. You can't say "well yes I said bigoted things but only about some marginalized people", or excuse it because the people "deserved it", or whatever.

I mean, I already said that I would vote for her if she was the nominee, but I think I'm fairly justified for not liking her over this as well, and "oh who cares if she wants to deny trans people some rights, Republicans want you to have no rights and are also an apocalyptic death cult" doesn't change that she's still done some really, really lovely things. Hopefully she'll be held accountable for them in the primary.

Which is the context that brought her up in the first place, so. (Well, that and that racists tend to focus on her and Booker while ignoring shittiness from other Dems, and gently caress those people too. Racists are poo poo regardless of who they're being racist towards.)

Edit: DogCat tax, old picture of my family's two cats, from before the smaller one got bigger and started being a dick to the other one, who now avoids him like his life depends on it sadly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

coyo7e posted:

Will once the feminazis and the sjws stopped Girls Gone Wild and Faces of Death and Bum Bumfights what's a middle upper class white boy to do with his free time?

Recognize their true oppressors and help the proletariat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wahhhh wahhhhh I don't want to do work because it's hard wahhhhh wahhhh - Maj

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Roland Jones posted:

It doesn't matter that she specifically targeted trans people who happened to be in prison. Setting aside that those were the only trans people she had power over so of course those are the ones who would be affected by her, the arguments she used and such were transphobic regardless of context. You can't say "well yes I said bigoted things but only about some marginalized people", or excuse it because the people "deserved it", or whatever.

I mean, I already said that I would vote for her if she was the nominee, but I think I'm fairly justified for not liking her over this as well, and "oh who cares if she wants to deny trans people some rights, Republicans want you to have no rights and are also an apocalyptic death cult" doesn't change that she's still done some really, really lovely things. Hopefully she'll be held accountable for them in the primary.

Which is the context that brought her up in the first place, so. (Well, that and that racists tend to focus on her and Booker while ignoring shittiness from other Dems, and gently caress those people too. Racists are poo poo regardless of who they're being racist towards.)

Edit: DogCat tax, old picture of my family's two cats, from before the smaller one got bigger and started being a dick to the other one.

Eh, I'll make the counterpoint that she was acting as an attorney for a state agency in that case and it's not necessarily fair to impute beliefs to an attorney just because they make an argument in a court. Their job isn't to say what they believe, it's to say what they think will win the case.

That said she was the AG and had some discretion so that argument only goes so far.

Personally (and this is just me personally, I understand why you prioritize this issue) I'm more concerned that she doesn't seem any more charismatic than the other potential candidates; to me she comes across kinda like Nancy Pelosi or Dianne Feinstein, someone who plays well in California but not so much outside it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 5, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/AHamiltonSpirit/status/904834303762288640

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

A trans person who was also in prison and currently transitioning? This is a really narrow group.

Could you ballpark for me the minimum size a group has to be before they qualify for constitutional rights?

I thought it was 1 and everyone was entitled to equal protection under the laws of the United States but apparently it's something different?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

A trans person who was also in prison and currently transitioning? This is a really narrow group.

There are more of those folks than you might think. This is an issue that comes up and gets re-litigated fairly regularly. Lots of real horror stories of people who try to castrate themselves with prison shivs and so forth. We incarcerate a shitload of people and oppressed minorities disproportionately so.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

He's the very worst kind of Catholic that doesn't rape children, I hope his eternal damnation, though saying that has now made me a worse Catholic since we aren't supposed to go around saying that such and such is going to hell.

I assumed his excommunication was just a basic fact of life, like how water is wet and humans need oxygen to survive. I know us papists aren't supposed to judge, but we are supposed to call out evil, and King certainly behaves like one whose soul is shrouded in malice and death.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hastings posted:

I assumed his excommunication was just a basic fact of life, like how water is wet and humans need oxygen to survive. I know us papists aren't supposed to judge, but we are supposed to call out evil, and King certainly behaves like one whose soul is shrouded in malice and death.

From what I recall from the bible it's not really that you're not supposed to judge and therefor never judge anyone ever. Instead one is supposed to try and discern between what is right and what is wrong. Not just wander through life not having opinions.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are more of those folks than you might think. This is an issue that comes up and gets re-litigated fairly regularly. Lots of real horror stories of people who try to castrate themselves with prison shivs and so forth. We incarcerate a shitload of people and oppressed minorities disproportionately so.

Isnt it something sad like 2% of the entire US population is currently in a jail or prison of some kind?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also it seems to me that if we want to do something about climate change before it destroys us all, we should make allies of everyone we can, and not say "hey transgendered people I don't care if you die and I won't do anything to stop it, vote for me because if I weren't killing you climate change will anyway"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

This is likely going to start a ripple effect, and bear a schism in the healthcare industry vs. police forces. Nurse supervisors do not gently caress around.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am friends with many nurses and they are consistently both the kindest and the craziest people i've ever met, nobody should dare to gently caress with them, not even cops

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Could they be ending Daca by just making those people citizens? Maybe as a last ditch bid for positive press?

I think my brain has done the thing when you get high enough in Pac-Man, half the screen disappears.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

From what I recall from the bible it's not really that you're not supposed to judge and therefor never judge anyone ever. Instead one is supposed to try and discern between what is right and what is wrong. Not just wander through life not having opinions.

Agreed. Most Catholics however, do not put the Bible as first line of importance, instead they rest on the Catechism or tradition of the Church. The Catholic interpretation generally is built on the idea of Peter, and in turn us, as placeholders for Christ. How we judge others is how God will judge us...it's a huge no no in the Catholic Church to judge the salvation or eternal state of another. We definitely must discern right from wrong and call out evil, but the greek translation of that verse is closer to the theme of salvation than just gauging a list of sin. Which is more or less what I was replying to my fellow papist.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the old ceremony posted:

i am friends with many nurses and they are consistently both the kindest and the craziest people i've ever met, nobody should dare to gently caress with them, not even cops

They're all identical twins so if you gently caress with one of them you gently caress with all of em, kinda like a hillbilly clan.

also they wont heal your pokemon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Buddy, that's where heretics like me come in. Steve King is going to hell.

Right? I'm one of them super-lefty protestants who doesn't even really believe in hell, but I'm 100% certain that God has created a special hell just for Steve King.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hastings posted:

Agreed. Most Catholics however, do not put the Bible as first line of importance, instead they rest on the Catechism or tradition of the Church. The Catholic interpretation generally is built on the idea of Peter, and in turn us, as placeholders for Christ. How we judge others is how God will judge us...it's a huge no no in the Catholic Church to judge the salvation or eternal state of another. We definitely must discern right from wrong and call out evil, but the greek translation of that verse is closer to the theme of salvation than just gauging a list of sin. Which is more or less what I was replying to my fellow papist.

Why is it that most Catholics don't put the bible first, but rel on the Catechism and tradition? As I recall back during the reformation translating the bible was an enormous blow to the authority of the Catholic church and that they really hadn't been sharing the full text as such knowledge would be "dangerous". Could you explain more about why you think that the Catechism and Catholic tradition are viewed as more important than the bible itself?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah, that's me 100%, you've got my number.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

the old ceremony posted:

Grandma was a nurse, MIL is a nurse, I can confirm that this is 100% true. They are generally some of the hardest working, fanatically dedicated, incredibly empathic people upon this benighted planet and they spend half their time cleaning up bodily fluids, tending to horrific injuries and diseases, and dealing with dipshit alcoholics and crackheads. Do not gently caress with nurses. They've dealt with more last weekend than most of us have in our lives. And even if they don't end you on the spot, you'll find yourself one day needing an oddly large needle for an injection, and an unfortunate shortage of lube on your catheter.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

Right? I'm one of them super-lefty protestants who doesn't even really believe in hell, but I'm 100% certain that God has created a special hell just for Steve King.

That's not a particularly hard hell to imagine: a neighborhood of interracial families living the dream.

I guess with spikes, fire, and poo poo why not?

Edit: check out the healthcare stories thread in the goon doctor (YLLS sub). Then buy a round of coffee for the nurse crew next time you have a hospital stay. Unless you're American then you'll be too poor for a round of coffee.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 5, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LegendaryFrog posted:

The sense of dread among my DACA friends for tomorrow's announcement is crushing.
This reminds me of the time Los Angeles had a giant absentee rate in 1994. Kids spent the better part of a week out of public schools.

Prop 187 had just passed and people were freaked the gently caress out over the not knowing.

Majorian posted:

One neoliberal president did a lot of bad poo poo that Republicans then (and now) would happily have done, is my point.
Lol yes, I quite remember when a Neoliberal appointed a Major Donor to an office they had no business whatsoever being in, gave rampantly racist folks the keys to the judiciary, emboldened ICE to conduct shakedown raids or snatch people as they dropped their kids off at school and so forth.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 5, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The greatest conspiracy of the human race is the one perpetrated by particle physicists because particles are in fact tiny suns and earths entire solar systems with people on them. Inside your body is multitudes. This was discovered by Isaac Newton and hidden away in his alchemy notes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Lol yes, I quite remember when a Neoliberal appointed a Major Donor to an office they had no business whatsoever being in, gave rampantly racist folks the keys to the judiciary, emboldened ICE to conduct shakedown raids or snatch people as they dropped their kids off at school and so forth.

Welfare reform, the '94 crime bill, the Gramm Bill, and other forms of deregulation should suffice as "bad things that you'd expect a Republican president to do."

e: Again, don't get me wrong, this isn't a "Republicans and Democrats are equally bad" post. Just that Bill Clinton was pretty bad on a lot of levels.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 5, 2017

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

A man like Sessions doesn't forget though. He'll stick the metaphorical knife into Trump's back at the most oppurtune moment.

Shouldnt be too long. Sessions making the announcement is another example of Trump being too much of a coward to deliver the bad news himself. Killing DACA is a horrible lovely thing no matter who does it, but the political ramifications from this announcement are another story entirely. Sessions is the pawn thrown out there to kill DACA while Trump still pretends to care.

The sheer number of decent hard working people this is going to gently caress over is sickening. But hey, at least the GOP can get rid of immigrants like this person.

gently caress.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hurricane Irma is CAT 4 now and appears to be strengthening

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Retro42 posted:

Shouldnt be too long. Sessions making the announcement is another example of Trump being too much of a coward to deliver the bad news himself. Killing DACA is a horrible lovely thing no matter who does it, but the political ramifications from this announcement are another story entirely. Sessions is the pawn thrown out there to kill DACA while Trump still pretends to care.

The sheer number of decent hard working people this is going to gently caress over is sickening. But hey, at least the GOP can get rid of immigrants like this person.

gently caress.

I'm not sure using Sessions as a human shield is going to work...everyone knows Trump really, really hates latinx people.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure using Sessions as a human shield is going to work...everyone knows Trump really, really hates latinx people.

Of course it's not going to work. But it's Trump. I bet he even flat out says tomorrow after Sessions announcement he "loves these people" and "will take the swiftest action" or "Congress will take care of it this week" to keep them from being deported.

This topic hits waaaaaay too close to home so I'm overly cynical but I have zero faith in Trump not trying to play both sides here and even less faith in this country to not eat it up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Republican voters in Florida still plan to vote for Rick Scott even after he revealed his true form by ripping off the skin of his face exposing a bejeweled skull with glowing eyes. Governor Scott in a official press release responded to criticisms of the states preparedness level for dealing with major hurricanes by stating " It was my plan all along now my skeleton army will grow and I will be unstoppable".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The islands ( cuba, haiti, etc) often knock them down a notch or two. Which sucks for the islands.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Spiffster posted:

Check the date.

And? If any of them believe this, they deserve to be deported.

Trump ran an anti immigrant campaign. He's done everything he could to gently caress them. And now he wants to shred DACA

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hollismason posted:

We're going to keep getting these punishments from God as long as the country remains so far from God's path. I don't know how people can expect to stray from Biblical law so radically and not face consequences. As long as we pretend greed is good, elect people like Trump, permit charlatans like Osteen, as long as we pursue policies aimed at Muslims, at black and latinx people, at the queer community, as long as we fill Congress with cowards like Ryan and McConnell, or tolerate the unconstitutional theft of a SCOTUS seat, as long as we empower the police to act like a military occupation, as long as we deny basic science, as long as people like Arpaio and Sessions are on the national stage, and as long as Nazis feel emboldened enough to march through our cities, God will send punishment after punishment.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Republican voters in Florida still plan to vote for Rick Scott even after he revealed his true form by ripping off the skin of his face exposing a bejeweled skull with glowing eyes. Governor Scott in a official press release responded to criticisms of the states preparedness level for dealing with major hurricanes by stating " It was my plan all along now my skeleton army will grow and I will be unstoppable".

In retrospect, it seemed obvious that a necromancer would be pro-life

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

"oh those liberal elite Americans keep loving each other in the butt and even interracially sometimes. Better slam a hurricane into a southern state." - Republican Jesus

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I thought that said Kompot at first

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mister Adequate posted:

We're going to keep getting these punishments from God as long as the country remains so far from God's path. I don't know how people can expect to stray from Biblical law so radically and not face consequences. As long as we pretend greed is good, elect people like Trump, permit charlatans like Osteen, as long as we pursue policies aimed at Muslims, at black and latinx people, at the queer community, as long as we fill Congress with cowards like Ryan and McConnell, or tolerate the unconstitutional theft of a SCOTUS seat, as long as we empower the police to act like a military occupation, as long as we deny basic science, as long as people like Arpaio and Sessions are on the national stage, and as long as Nazis feel emboldened enough to march through our cities, God will send punishment after punishment.

wait why does liberal jesus punish greed by drowning poor people

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Majorian posted:

Just that Bill Clinton was pretty bad on a lot of levels.
And as bad as that is, it's still not as bad as what the other guys could have done.

I think the mistake from crazy lefties is assuming that the rest of the country isn't Batshit and will support insane ideas like giving people the dignity of affordable healthcare or a wage slightly above the poverty line. The prevailing winds seem to be more conservative than we'd like to believe

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

And as bad as that is, it's still not as bad as what the other guys could have done.

But that's a pretty lousy metric to judge Democratic candidates and politicians by, don't you think?

quote:

I think the mistake from crazy lefties is assuming that the rest of the country isn't Batshit and will support insane ideas like giving people the dignity of affordable healthcare or a wage slightly above the poverty line. The prevailing winds seem to be more conservative than we'd like to believe

The evidence we've got from polls shows that stuff like Medicare For All is pretty popular nationally...

e: I think the real mistake is in assuming that all of these policies fall along a left-right/liberal-conservative axis, when that isn't the case at all. A politician can be socially left-wing and economically conservative simultaneously. Many leading Democrats fall into that category.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh my god, I love him. This guy is amazing.

Can someone explain to me how anyone at 32 has the ability to run for governor? What is involved, behind the scenes to get to that point at 32?

The stupid thing is the republican shills in this state will reject him outright because he's *gasp* Muslim. But so far he's acted more American than any of those dimwits

• Locked thread