Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Whatever are you talking about?

Do I have to worry about this weird poo poo in the game or is it pretty family friendly? I am just looking for mowing down hordes of pirates with goofy powered pirates while listening to podcasts (because I assume the story is nothing special).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I love that all of that sweet irony money has not changed them at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Do I have to worry about this weird poo poo in the game or is it pretty family friendly? I am just looking for mowing down hordes of pirates with goofy powered pirates while listening to podcasts (because I assume the story is nothing special).

The game's fine if I remember correctly.

Heck, the actual manga/show are really tame overall. Something that'd be perfectly fine for teens to watch, from what I've seen of it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

just play RE5 again.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Super casual.

There's a group finder/goons that run the endgame dungeons if you want to do them. Nice and easy joins. All are fast enough that you can log in and ask to run a dungeon and have a group ready in minutes, no prep/scheduling needed.

If you want to do endgame questing like Orsinium/Coldharbour you can do all of it solo if you want, but groups are always starting up in chat for randoms.

Cyrodiil is just join up and ask for an invite to the zerg.

Heists are solo anyway if you like the stealth aspect of Elder Scrolls games ( I forgot to mention, this game has the full sneak/stealing system of Elder Scrolls games, and its a great way to gear up early on. Just go to the armor shop and jack all their swords/armor when they aren't looking. ).

The only thing that requires "planning" is Trials, which basically function as the raids of the game. They only need 12 people though, and according to what I've found online ( I haven't felt the need to do one yet ) are specifically designed to only take 2 hours or so. Considering you can craft endgame gear, can get endgame gear from the Undaunted ( crazy drunks that reward you for hitting up the dungeons with loot ), and can get it from PvPing in Cyrodiil though, I've never felt the need to try and get 12 people together to do the drat things. I think you mainly get cosmetics from them at this point, though I could be wrong.

Thanks for the posts, I've been interested in trying this out but I'm not an MMO player at all.

Do you miss out on content if you play the game purely single player? Are theRe dungeons or quest lines that require a group beyond the Trials you mention?

Basically, I'm interested in some more single player scrolls content. Morrowind is my fave for the atmosphere and quests/lore. Your original post makes it seem a good fit from that perspective. But can I play it purely single player and not miss out on too much.

Is there a way to not see other human players in your game because my immersion and all that? To turn it into a single player game?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Copying from a post I just wrote in another thread:

RE6 Primer:

-I personally thought the campaign was fun as a whole but there's lots of dumb gimmicks and bad vehicle sections. Turn off the optional QTEs in the menu and play with a friend if you can.

-The Mercenaries (arcade) mode is the really great part of the game.

-Combat primer: The important thing to know is that your guns are useful for quickly dispatching a normal enemy if you're in a bind, but they're primarily used to stun enemies and make them vulnerable to special melee attacks.

You have a stamina bar and can spend it in several ways. There's the basic, unprompted melee attack, which is almost always a bad idea. Hitting someone twice will stun most enemies but you're better off just shooting them, it's slow and a bad use of stamina. Sprinting uses stamina. Sprinting into a melee attack is a guaranteed stun and a decent choice. Stunned enemies are vulnerable to special melee attacks that cost no stamina and make you invincible while you're doing them. Pulling both triggers will activate a quick shot that automatically targets and stuns the nearest enemy. This is also a good move in a tight spot, especially with Leon, who can chain these on multiple enemies with his dual pistols.

When you're out of stamina you will be unable to sprint or do melee attacks. Stamina recovers more quickly by standing still, but most quickly by laying down. You can dive to evade enemies, roll onto the ground, and shoot enemies while rapidly recovering stamina. Do that poo poo.

All enemy attacks can be countered, unless it's a projectile attack. Learning the timing on these takes some practice, but is totally worth it. Enemies with weapons are good to practice against because they telegraph their attacks bigtime. Counterattacks are instakills and are fast. Learn to counter the red zombies' leap attack. Use enemies to your advantage: firemen's oxygen tanks can be blown up, zombies with axes stuck in them are easily countered, soldier and cop zombies can be made to shoot each other (that's hard to do intentionally but it happens).

Use your environment, not only in terms of shooting generators and explosive barrels, but just being aware of changes in elevation and barricades that you can easily path through which enemies will find more difficult.

So is it worth it for Mercs alone and pretending Campaign is the Bonus or is Mercs somehow poo poo in 6.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Heavy Metal posted:

RE6 was pretty nutty, to me a bit tedious, I seem to remember a lot of hit spongey enemies, and action that just kind of droned on and on. Not even close to as good as RE5 I'd say, for what it's worth. Which wasn't close to as good as RE4, etc. For co-op it can be a wacky time killer though.

RE6 has some weird apologists. I played it "the right way" according to goons and it still doesn't change all the bullshit you described, or the constant annoying stunlocks from enemies.

It's only potentially amusing if you have a like-minded co-op buddy to collectively groan and :rolleyes: with. RE6 is a bizarre mess of a game and if you ever want to see what happens when a project is divided into separate parts amongst a larger team before mashing it all back together, here you go.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I played RE6 with a very patient goon friend under the influence of booze and I hated just about every minute of the campaign. Ammo was always too low, deaths were always too cheap, the characters and setting were the worst, dumbest things. Ask ShinDragon: As someone who tends to have more patience with 'bad' games, RE6 put me on a ranting spree.

That said, if you do have the patience for it, the combat is great. Pulling off the poo poo you can pull off in Mercenaries mode at the very least made the 10 bucks worth it, but otherwise it's a crapshoot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dying Light is the more fun zombie co-op game at this point.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the dying light expansion is even better than the already great base game, especially with a couple friends loving you over in their own vehicles

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I hope all forms of entertainment follow Resident Evil 7 Biohazard naming conventions and I'm watching a Gunnm: Battle Angel Alita movie at some point.

At the least I want to play a Castlevania: Akumajo Dracula pachislot game.

lmao just googled castlevania pachinko machine and konami has me beat by about 8 years. Even Suikoden has one. I hope there's a Vandal Hearts one out there somewhere.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 15, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

widespread posted:

So is it worth it for Mercs alone and pretending Campaign is the Bonus or is Mercs somehow poo poo in 6.

It's worth seven bucks for mercenaries alone, and I'm not 100% sure but I believe you start with the mode already unlocked due to an unfixed PC port bug.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I am enjoying Torchlight II simply because I can have a mimic as a pet in it. A drooling, bloodthirsty fanged chest that chews the gently caress out of dudes, then I toss all my loot inside it and send it off to town to sell it all for me. :3:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

widespread posted:

Mercs owns and No Mercy Mercs owns as well.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's worth seven bucks for mercenaries alone, and I'm not 100% sure but I believe you start with the mode already unlocked due to an unfixed PC port bug.

GOOD. Else I'd have to resort to modhacks or whatever.

Wamdoodle posted:

Mercs owns and No Mercy Mercs owns as well.

That's good. There's only like 9 characters, right? Or did they add more somehow.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I was under the impression they made Mercs open from the start for PC because having to wait to unlock it is dumb.

There's a handful of characters and plenty of them have alternate loadouts with costumes. REnet might still be a thing so you can get more, but I think the EX costumes have similar loadouts to ones you can get without bothering with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arcen's making a dinosaur game! It looks weird and janky, just like everything else they've ever made, but this time I don't know if it's the kind of jank I'd enjoy playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36r3Olz7a0M

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It looks like they're trying to pull a Goat Simulator and put out something dumb and cheap to recoup from their disastrous last game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Internet Friend posted:

It looks like they're trying to pull a Goat Simulator and put out something dumb and cheap to recoup from their disastrous last game.

I feel like they need to go full-time into strategy games, because their best games (and best sellers, afaik) are AI War and the Last Federation. Everything else was just...jank. And I say this as someone who enjoys most of their catalog. :sigh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Friend posted:

They literally said it's an attempt to make a game they can add to with free unity assets iirc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cant even just make the stupid cash in piece of poo poo they are doing early access for it lol

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
"People like Ark and people like Goat Sim. What if we combined them?"

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Steam finally added a way to customize your discover queue and turn off stuff like Early Access and unreleased games. You can also block specific tags.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Searching for random tags are useless, but no more vr.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

ShadowMoo posted:

Steam finally added a way to customize your discover queue and turn off stuff like Early Access and unreleased games. You can also block specific tags.

Me gusta. I'll still keep it the same since I keep my Front Page heavily filtered already.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Nice. Now if we can only get Lowtax to port this functionality to this thread the forums.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Morter posted:

Woohoo, 100%'d Senran Kagura :toot:

Now...do I try beating one of the other games I bought in the last month? Or buy more games. Hmm...

how many hours did it take you?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol exclude anime and enjoy your search results with 2 hits

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also im totally trying to tag new doom and wolfenstein and poo poo as anime now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Nice. Now if we can only get Lowtax to port this functionality to this thread the forums.

Oh god tell me how to do this

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

explosivo posted:

Oh god tell me how to do this

The blue "Explore Your Queue" link on the first page has a link to where you can do it. If you're looking at a queue there's an option right near the "Next in Queue" button.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The blue "Explore Your Queue" link on the first page has a link to where you can do it. If you're looking at a queue there's an option right near the "Next in Queue" button.

Sweet! If only this worked on the main banner on the front page.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

a7m2 posted:

how many hours did it take you?

46. I'm guessing 5-6 hours of idling/alt-tabbed activities though.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Endless Legend is currently 85% off on the Humble Store. Is the Emperor edition worth the extra $1.50?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

I love that all of that sweet irony money has not changed them at all.

I want to imagine that they're super serious about the whole Bad Rats thing and act like successful avant-garde artists.

It's either that or some person locked in a basement slowly going insane knowing that this is their life's work and legacy.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Main thing I blocked were hidden object games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Endless Legend is currently 85% off on the Humble Store. Is the Emperor edition worth the extra $1.50?

It really doesn't add much, but if the difference is pocket change it's not too bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's just an extra minor race and some more cash going to the devs now.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Morter posted:

46. I'm guessing 5-6 hours of idling/alt-tabbed activities though.

I wonder if it will be too soon for Senran Kagura to get a discount in the summer sale because after getting my phone auth to finally work i am raking in the Cyber Ca$h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

v1ld posted:

Thanks for the posts, I've been interested in trying this out but I'm not an MMO player at all.

Do you miss out on content if you play the game purely single player? Are theRe dungeons or quest lines that require a group beyond the Trials you mention?

Basically, I'm interested in some more single player scrolls content. Morrowind is my fave for the atmosphere and quests/lore. Your original post makes it seem a good fit from that perspective. But can I play it purely single player and not miss out on too much.

Is there a way to not see other human players in your game because my immersion and all that? To turn it into a single player game?

There's a group dungeon for every zone, tied to the Undaunted. Basically super drunks who gather in taverns and yell about who is the best drunk/monster slayer in Tamriel. You don't have to do any of them.

Craglorn is an "adventure" zone which is designed for group play, but it's getting reworked to be solo in the future it sounds like. You can also solo all? of it if you have a good enough build.

Then the Trials.

That's it. Cyrodiil has a lot of single player story content ( remember when I said the game is Oblivion done right? Well Cyrodiil in the game is basically Cyrodiil from Oblivion if the Hero/Martin never got involved until well after the Daedra took the Imperial City/everything was in ruins. Lots of quests in Bruma/Chorrol/Etc and whatnot from people saying "Oh god we need to rebuild these walls/close these portals/figure out where everyone is." ), but it's also the PvP zone, so large zergs are almost always running around taking keeps/fighting over the cities, so you might die a whole bunch while completing those quests if your faction sucks.

Sadly you can't turn the players off in game, but you see less and less as you progress through the zones. Like most MMOs, the majority of the playerbase is in the endgame zones, or the starter zones.

I'm playing it largely like a singleplayer game, and it works for that.

• Locked thread