Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So I've made the decision to pick up a new generation pixel phone, but I am torn between the regular or 2 or the 2XL.

My biggest priority is battery life at this point , and I'm slightly concerned about upgrading to a phablet sized phone (currently on an S5 sport). Each works for my hands and pockets but I obviously can't get a case on them in the store. is there a reason I should go with the 2XL over a 2 with a battery case? Has anyone used either for a long enough time to weigh in? All the reviews basically say the same thing so I'm probably just hemming and hawing for no reason over an expensive purchase.

I'd get the XL. It's not much larger because of the bezels on the 2 and it's got a bigger battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So I've made the decision to pick up a new generation pixel phone, but I am torn between the regular or 2 or the 2XL.

My biggest priority is battery life at this point , and I'm slightly concerned about upgrading to a phablet sized phone (currently on an S5 sport). Each works for my hands and pockets but I obviously can't get a case on them in the store. is there a reason I should go with the 2XL over a 2 with a battery case? Has anyone used either for a long enough time to weigh in? All the reviews basically say the same thing so I'm probably just hemming and hawing for no reason over an expensive purchase.

The 2XL will have better battery life and the size shouldn't be that much bigger if at all than an S5. Also, people always worry about moving to big phones until they do, then there is no going back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dunno what to fuckin do. My S7 will only charge wirelessly now, port is hosed. I dont own a wireless charger, and I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while so I dont wanna sink any money into it (money thats very scarce right now). I have insurance but I dont wanna spoil $100 on the deductible just to end up with the same phone again. $0 or next to it phones are my only real option right now aside from getting it fixed, and options with Koodo are kinda limited. Been looking at the Pixel 2 but I'm a storage rat and the 64gb just wont cut it. I'm using 17/29 gigs on the phone itself then only 18/59 on my SD card is free, which honestly is kinda wasteful in that I have a lot of my music in flac format, when mostly its getting played in the car...through bluetooth. But then I do listen over WiFi on my receiver at home as well. The gf recently got the Essential and I kinda like it, fingerprint sensor is awkwardly placed and the phone overall doesn't feel that great in my hand but to keep my plan its one of the few options I have. Its basically a case of beggars cant be choosers I guess. It'll cost me friggin 275 bucks up front to get the 128gb Pixel which even then I'm not crazy about. I dunno why they had to give it iphone 4 bezel ratios. I guess I'm just hosed either way.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

codo27 posted:

I dunno what to fuckin do. My S7 will only charge wirelessly now, port is hosed. I dont own a wireless charger, and I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while so I dont wanna sink any money into it (money thats very scarce right now). I have insurance but I dont wanna spoil $100 on the deductible just to end up with the same phone again. $0 or next to it phones are my only real option right now aside from getting it fixed, and options with Koodo are kinda limited. Been looking at the Pixel 2 but I'm a storage rat and the 64gb just wont cut it. I'm using 17/29 gigs on the phone itself then only 18/59 on my SD card is free, which honestly is kinda wasteful in that I have a lot of my music in flac format, when mostly its getting played in the car...through bluetooth. But then I do listen over WiFi on my receiver at home as well. The gf recently got the Essential and I kinda like it, fingerprint sensor is awkwardly placed and the phone overall doesn't feel that great in my hand but to keep my plan its one of the few options I have. Its basically a case of beggars cant be choosers I guess. It'll cost me friggin 275 bucks up front to get the 128gb Pixel which even then I'm not crazy about. I dunno why they had to give it iphone 4 bezel ratios. I guess I'm just hosed either way.

Generic qi chargers are $20 and money is tight. It's enough to get by.

Everything else you've written is trying to justify spending money you don't have on a phone you don't need, then freaking out because you don't have money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

What carrier do you have? If you have Verizon your insurance has extended warranty. Really really depends on both who you get, if there is visible Port damage and there can’t be any screen cracks or damage, but if I looked at your phone and the pins weren’t obviously torn off, I would mail out a replacement no cost.

Also, I wouldn’t the Essential. I really wouldn’t get the Pixel 1 at this point unless it’s a lot, lot cheaper. Worse case get a wireless charger and look for a promo for the Pixel 2 or 2XL.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

What carrier do you have? If you have Verizon

As I said I'm with Koodo up here in Canada. I did a cross compare on GSMarena of my current phone, the Essential and the Pixel. I went ahead and called customer support again anyway and they offered me a $200 credit towards a phone of my choice, so now I can keep my plan and get the Pixel 2 128gb for just $75 up front. Man I love Koodo. I've been wanting to try a big phone for a little while and I wish I could have afforded the XL just for the fact of it having sensible sized bezels but oh well. Beggars cant be choosers, but we can get a good deal now and then.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Just get a couple of $20 wireless chargers and start saving for a phone that you won't regret having bought.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just wanna thank everyone for the tips, got 2 lines on Verizon prepaid for ~$105 total. Saving about $40/month vs the separate plans my wife and I had, with both our data needs fully met and arguably better service to boot. :feelsgood:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
Current contract status: Family plan
Budget: <$200 phone
Features I know I want: Great photos and video, app support, security and battery life.

I am poor and have been getting around with the same dumbphone for years. I don't know poo poo about modern phones, but I'm hoping they are cheap enough to get something nice. There's a chance I'll have to change plans due to a conflict with the existing one if I jump from dumb to smart.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Best value camera you can currently get is probably in an iPhone SE. If you buy refurb on eBay you should be able to get it for less than 200$ and until the end the year Apple is replacing the battery for 29$ even if your phone is out of warranty.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
Current contract status: Family plan
Budget: <$200 phone
Features I know I want: Great photos and video, app support, security and battery life.

I am poor and have been getting around with the same dumbphone for years. I don't know poo poo about modern phones, but I'm hoping they are cheap enough to get something nice. There's a chance I'll have to change plans due to a conflict with the existing one if I jump from dumb to smart.

Post here or in the Verizon thread what your plan is and I can tell you how it impacts your plan. Very likely though, it’s just cost of phone.

So at $200, choices are limited. The main low cost phone recommended here is the Motorola G series (I think it is on G5 ?). Those can be found for $200-$250, it’s Android so pretty much any android app will work with it. Just won’t have the bells and whistles of s higher up phone, so decent camera for instance but not mind blowing. Battery life is probably fine.

Pixel 2 and 2 XL are on sale for $550 until end of the month. Not bad for a high end phone, but that’s not in the cost range you listed.

FYI Verizon doesn’t sell the G5, but you can find it either online or at somewhere like Best Buy.

Buying s phone outright shouldn’t affect your monthly plan at all.

Edit: totally missed the iPhone SE recommendation. That would be a really good idea as well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Post here or in the Verizon thread what your plan is and I can tell you how it impacts your plan. Very likely though, it’s just cost of phone.

So at $200, choices are limited. The main low cost phone recommended here is the Motorola G series (I think it is on G5 ?). Those can be found for $200-$250, it’s Android so pretty much any android app will work with it. Just won’t have the bells and whistles of s higher up phone, so decent camera for instance but not mind blowing. Battery life is probably fine.

Pixel 2 and 2 XL are on sale for $550 until end of the month. Not bad for a high end phone, but that’s not in the cost range you listed.

FYI Verizon doesn’t sell the G5, but you can find it either online or at somewhere like Best Buy.

Buying s phone outright shouldn’t affect your monthly plan at all.

Edit: totally missed the iPhone SE recommendation. That would be a really good idea as well.

Battery life on the G5+ is very good, I had a power outage a while back and I watched Youtube and browsed around to pass the time, it was on with full screen brightness for about 6 hours straight, starting at around 90% battery it was only down to about 35% battery when the power came back on and I recharged it.

I will say the camera on the G5+ is pretty disappointing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Duckman2008 posted:

Nationwide tlk&txt share 700.

My brother is very paranoid about me getting a smartphone right now because he has a grandfathered unlimited data thing. If anything about our plan changes, he loses that unlimited and is moved over to the new unlimited, which he says is worse than his current one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Nationwide tlk&txt share 700.

My brother is very paranoid about me getting a smartphone right now because he has a grandfathered unlimited data thing. If anything about our plan changes, he loses that unlimited and is moved over to the new unlimited, which he says is worse than his current one.

Ah, gotcha. Then yeah, getting a smartphone will add $30 a month to your plan in addition to whatever phone costs you are paying up front.

With those plans, it varies on each setup/account whether it’s worth biting the bullet and switching to the new unlimited plans. That being said, it sounds like it’s a non starter anyway, so yeah, your plan will just go up $30.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Okay so this might not be the right place but I can't find a better one. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch a phone number between lines at the same carrier?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

Okay so this might not be the right place but I can't find a better one. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch a phone number between lines at the same carrier?

Need more details on what you are trying to do. In theory, switching phone numbers is just switching a SIM card from one phone to another.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a Moto G4, on t-mobile. I love this phone because its durable, solid battery, and SD card storage (i'm weird about storing mp3s on my phone). But the camera sucks. I noticed this today while scrolling through photos I took when I had an LG G4. I enjoyed the camera quality on that phone. What phones have the best bang-for-the-buck on cameras? I saw the iPhone SE suggestion earlier but I don't want to run Apple.

I'm thinking of an s9 but that's an uncomfortable amount of money for a drat phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

I have a Moto G4, on t-mobile. I love this phone because its durable, solid battery, and SD card storage (i'm weird about storing mp3s on my phone). But the camera sucks. I noticed this today while scrolling through photos I took when I had an LG G4. I enjoyed the camera quality on that phone. What phones have the best bang-for-the-buck on cameras? I saw the iPhone SE suggestion earlier but I don't want to run Apple.

I'm thinking of an s9 but that's an uncomfortable amount of money for a drat phone.

Pixel 1 or 2? Maybe find a discount on a Galaxy S8 ?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Pixel 1 or 2? Maybe find a discount on a Galaxy S8 ?

A first gen pixel is what I was thinking too. But didn't they have some serious reliability issues?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

A first gen pixel is what I was thinking too. But didn't they have some serious reliability issues?

Some are fine and some are not. If you can swing a Pixel 2 is probably a better idea. Longer support anyway.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking on eBay there's roughly a $200 price jump to go from a new Galaxy s7 to an s8. Think that's worth the price bump, based on camera alone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

Looking on eBay there's roughly a $200 price jump to go from a new Galaxy s7 to an s8. Think that's worth the price bump, based on camera alone?

Camera , screen, processor and 64GB instead of 32GB, so yes.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Camera , screen, processor and 64GB instead of 32GB, so yes.

Yeah all the other stuff is improved but I'm not really concerned about that. I found an impressively detailed answer to my question here:

https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-vs-Galaxy-S7_id4340/page/3

I guess the s8's camera is just a notch better than the s7. I'm going to go for a used s7 because I'm a cheap bastard like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The S7 probably won't see any updates while the S8 will get like one more.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

The S7 probably won't see any updates while the S8 will get like one more.

can't you root it to keep Android up to date?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

can't you root it to keep Android up to date?

Don’t base your purchases on the possibility of some random person releasing an update that may or may not be actually secure.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

On the topic of cameras, I know it's stupid to say "my new phone is better", course it is, it's newer. But the camera on the Pixel 2? It's actually mind blowing compared to anything else I've seen short of a DSLR

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

codo27 posted:

On the topic of cameras, I know it's stupid to say "my new phone is better", course it is, it's newer. But the camera on the Pixel 2? It's actually mind blowing compared to anything else I've seen short of a DSLR

What phone did you upgrade to a pixel 2 from?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Country/Provider: USA/ATT
Current contract status: Grandfathered Mobile Share 3GB (+3GB) Plan, month-to-month.
Monthly : ~$75 currently
Budget: <$399 phone (see below)
Features I know I want: Battery life, decent flexibility plans with international calling.

I've been looking at possibly switching away from AT&T, for something that might be a bit less money for (roughly) the same amount of data...Even if I tend to be pretty damned light with data/roaming; I usually use wifi most of the time.

Current point : I've got a 64GB IPhone SE, that I can unlock; I have been considering Verizon, as I can get a discount through my job to knock monthly down to $49.87. (before fees/taxes)

It's still not possible to move a GSM IPhone over to a CDMA provider, is it? Trying to factor in what I could potentially get for around the same amount by trading it in (which I am anticipating I will have to do)

Also, what might be a recommended comparable Android model phone, should I decide to go that route instead?

Google Fi looks semi-interesting, but I realize the choice in phones is quite limited. Out of the choices, would simply breaking down and getting a Pixel 2 be the best choice? Not so sure about the Moto X4 models.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Country/Provider: USA/ATT
Current contract status: Grandfathered Mobile Share 3GB (+3GB) Plan, month-to-month.
Monthly : ~$75 currently
Budget: <$399 phone (see below)
Features I know I want: Battery life, decent flexibility plans with international calling.

I've been looking at possibly switching away from AT&T, for something that might be a bit less money for (roughly) the same amount of data...Even if I tend to be pretty damned light with data/roaming; I usually use wifi most of the time.

Current point : I've got a 64GB IPhone SE, that I can unlock; I have been considering Verizon, as I can get a discount through my job to knock monthly down to $49.87. (before fees/taxes)

It's still not possible to move a GSM IPhone over to a CDMA provider, is it? Trying to factor in what I could potentially get for around the same amount by trading it in (which I am anticipating I will have to do)

Also, what might be a recommended comparable Android model phone, should I decide to go that route instead?

Google Fi looks semi-interesting, but I realize the choice in phones is quite limited. Out of the choices, would simply breaking down and getting a Pixel 2 be the best choice? Not so sure about the Moto X4 models.

Your iPhone SE would work on Verizon, you just have to request ATT to unlock it. Att.com/deviceunlock

I assume you are looking at the 5GB single plan. $60, $55 with autopay, $50ish with a work discount.

Verizon is offering $150 to bring your own device as a port, so you should qualify to bring your SE over, get $150, main term is they charge back the $150 if you leave before 6 months.

If you do switch, feel free to reach out and I can send you a referral code.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Posting from my new (used) LG G5. It's exactly what I wanted, basically just my Moto g4 but faster and a much better camera. And for $120 including a case and an aftermarket battery

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Enjoy your limited time with it before it kills itself.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Enjoy your limited time with it before it kills itself.

tbh it's more fun with cheap used phones, I never have to stress about it being lost or stolen and they're way cheaper

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like, i have three kids, anything expensive is gonna get destroyed

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

Your iPhone SE would work on Verizon, you just have to request ATT to unlock it. Att.com/deviceunlock

I assume you are looking at the 5GB single plan. $60, $55 with autopay, $50ish with a work discount.

Verizon is offering $150 to bring your own device as a port, so you should qualify to bring your SE over, get $150, main term is they charge back the $150 if you leave before 6 months.

If you do switch, feel free to reach out and I can send you a referral code.

I had bought my SE from an Apple store; the unlock process would still go through ATT, correct?

Tests I've done through Verizon's site seem to agree with your assessment that porting it over should work...Just verifying. Guess I could always check at a store too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Killer_B posted:

I had bought my SE from an Apple store; the unlock process would still go through ATT, correct?

Tests I've done through Verizon's site seem to agree with your assessment that porting it over should work...Just verifying. Guess I could always check at a store too.
Did you buy it on an AT&T contract/lease? If so, yeah, you'll have to go through AT&T. If you paid for it outright it *should* already be unlocked. In any case, just go to the AT&T unlock site and plug in your info. It should have it back to you shortly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am back to ask again because now my husband wants to replace his old and busted Moto G (2nd Gen)...

Is the Moto G 5X or whatever the one to get if the 2nd Gen Moto G was basically perfect for one's needs?

Full deets:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobil

Current contract status: Pre-paid monthly, no contract. Unlimited data and texting

Budget (phone/plan): Preferably around $2-300 and same plan

Features I know I want: He streams a looooot of music and listens to podcasts while at work. Oh and no ads. He despises ads.

Bonus points... best deal on said phone right now? I got mine from Best Buy during the Black Friday sale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah but the G6 is due out shorlty and also Nokia has what seems like it might be a good competitor soon, too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Silver Falcon posted:

I am back to ask again because now my husband wants to replace his old and busted Moto G (2nd Gen)...

Is the Moto G 5X or whatever the one to get if the 2nd Gen Moto G was basically perfect for one's needs?

Full deets:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobil

Current contract status: Pre-paid monthly, no contract. Unlimited data and texting

Budget (phone/plan): Preferably around $2-300 and same plan

Features I know I want: He streams a looooot of music and listens to podcasts while at work. Oh and no ads. He despises ads.

Bonus points... best deal on said phone right now? I got mine from Best Buy during the Black Friday sale.

The G5 plus and G5S plus are really good, but as was already said, the G6 is due out soon so it's probably better to wait if you can. As far as the G5 and G5S go they both have good battery life and a headphone jack so they should both work really well for music and podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Hi, my Fairphone 1 is still working but since the software isn't updated any more several critical apps are beginning to outdate it. Before I can afford a Fairphone 2 or other new phone, I'd like to buy a used replacement.

So, what would be a good Android smartphone, that won't be used for gaming or anything intensive like that, supports at least Lollipop and worth around $100 today? Preferably one that is unlocked so that I can use a custom launcher, but I think all Androids are today? Extra points for one that is water resistant.

I'm in Sweden, so any plans would probably not apply to me, I'll have to look around for something that I can use my current operator with.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 12, 2018