Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So at the end of my Girl Scout troop meeting just a short while ago a parent of one of my girls tells me that she had tried to shop at my store during the meeting and the whole place is shut down because they got a hawk in the building. Like, the whole store was barricaded as Animal Control did whatever they had to do, and the whole parking lot was full of news crews. If it weren't so rear end-shattering cold tonight I'd be tempted to run over there real quick and see wtf, but since it's cold and I'm lazy I'm going to wait and see if it shows up on the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I haven't worked in retail for about 8 months but I had a dream that at my old cashier job they gave employees stools to rest on and it was the happiet dream I've ever had.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheModernAmerican posted:

I haven't worked in retail for about 8 months but I had a dream that at my old cashier job they gave employees stools to rest on and it was the happiet dream I've ever had.

I don't know about anywhere else, but the cashiers at Aldi get to sit

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I would still be working as a cashier if I could loving sit for more than half an hour in a seven hour shift. My knees can't take it and I'm only 22. I'd rather not lose my ability to walk when I'm fifty making eight bucks an hour.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm working at Lowes now and they let us sit at the registers. I don't always do it but it's nice to have the option.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Haha, so the hawk thing wasn't some crazy story, it really did happen. http://wtvr.com/2014/11/14/intruder-ruffles-feathers-at-west-end-craft-store/ Apparently it's still there too, they haven't caught it yet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Antifreeze Head posted:

Yeah, that would be the correct corporate response to an employee calling a customer a retard.

Dude lived the dream, though. If my family was financially secure enough for me to be unemployed for a while, I'd jump at the chance to tell an rear end in a top hat customer to gently caress off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Needing extra cash for the holidays. How bad is working part time at amazon warehouse?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Needing extra cash for the holidays. How bad is working part time at amazon warehouse?

According to several coworkers who have worked there before, the money is good for sure, but they will take every cent of it out of your rear end. Be prepared for backbreaking repetitive labor. Also, get some gel insoles for your shoes.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of the better choices to work at but the biggest downside is the large amount of walking you will be doing. I think many people who have done retail had the first two weeks ending up with their feet burning due to not adding some foot powder to relieve the moisture or aching everywhere on your legs. Legs aching for two weeks was the most unbearable part for me and I was just walking around or standing for eight hours around my departments aisles. For Amazon you will be walking many miles a day, some people measured about 30 miles per day during the holiday rush as the norm for a ten hour shift. If you are fine with walking great distances than you will be fine and if not and stick through it you will gain some amazing stamina. Stay hydrated if you do go there as dehydration will be a bitch to go home with. Lastly you will not be allowed to bring in much outside of your clothes as security is tight to prevent theft and depending on your location it will probably be cold in the warehouse during the winter months if your area normally gets around freezing.

Reddit thread of a warehouse employee who worked there and posted about it a year ago. This link should answer some more questions on what a normal day was like. Although he worked in one four years ago it should not have chanced much based on other more current articles and threads I have found.

BouncingBuckyBalls fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 17, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Has anyone here worked for Aldi? What was it like? The one in my town is hiring and I'm considering applying, but I have a few reservations based on a few things I've heard.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Retail Slave posted:

Has anyone here worked for Aldi? What was it like? The one in my town is hiring and I'm considering applying, but I have a few reservations based on a few things I've heard.

I shop there, and it looks like a rough place to work. They always appear to be chronically understaffed, and the Aldis in my city are in rougher neighborhoods. YMMV.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I work in an office but I thought this thread would be pleased to know that my coworkers were all complaining today because the local mall hasn't started playing Christmas music yet and rabble rabble, muslims taking are traditions, it's merry Christmas, not happy holidays, thanks Obama, rabble rabble, etc.

I pointed out that it is not even December yet and they all looked at me like I was retarded :suicide:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Beat your coworkers to death with a tastefully chosen fruitcake.

TIA.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Retail Slave posted:

Dude lived the dream, though. If my family was financially secure enough for me to be unemployed for a while, I'd jump at the chance to tell an rear end in a top hat customer to gently caress off.

I've long said that if I ever came into a huge pile of money, I'd open the Inconvenience Store. Everything is on the top shelf, probably past its best before date, and the employees are all people burnt out on retail to the point that the work for me for free, just because they will be free to treat the customers in any way they choose.

I don't think I'd have trouble staffing the place.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Antifreeze Head posted:

I've long said that if I ever came into a huge pile of money, I'd open the Inconvenience Store. Everything is on the top shelf, probably past its best before date, and the employees are all people burnt out on retail to the point that the work for me for free, just because they will be free to treat the customers in any way they choose.

I don't think I'd have trouble staffing the place.

Please contact me if you ever open such a store. I will pay you to work there.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I haven't thought about this thread in a long time, until today.

One of the front-end employees at my store walked up to me at the start of her shift and said she wasn't feeling well (she had already called out of work yesterday). I told her she needs to give at least 12 hours notice before calling out of work, but if she's too ill to work I couldn't force her to stay. This wasn't good enough for her. She wanted me to tell her to go home like it was my idea, so she wouldn't be responsible for leaving without notice. I told her I wasn't mad, but it would at least count as an absence because someone else would have to overtime to cover her. Still not good enough.

So then she followed me round for a bit, moaning and holding one hand over her stomach and one over her butt. She was loudly talking about her "Fiery hot, explosive diarrhea", and saying things like "I may just poop right here by the food on accident" and "Bad things can squirt out of all my holes".
:magical:

I tell her it's not a big deal, if she can't work she can't work. Still not good enough.

She follows me around more, loudly explaining her symptoms. Then suddenly she stops and says "Hey, can you do me a big favor?" "Can you get some paper towels?".
I turned around, and she's 2 feet behind me, holding both of her hands cupped towards me, completely filled to the brim with vomit. "Look" she said "It just comes right out of me!"
I started dry heaving and just pointed to the door.

What the gently caress! Some employees have no problem showing up to work drunk, showing up late, not showing up at all, stealing, and getting into fights with customers. But when they are legitimately sick, I have to kiss their forehead and tell them to rest well, so they don't feel like they will "get in trouble."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Baldbeard posted:

One of the front-end employees at my store walked up to me at the start of her shift and said she wasn't feeling well (she had already called out of work yesterday). I told her she needs to give at least 12 hours notice before calling out of work, but if she's too ill to work I couldn't force her to stay. This wasn't good enough for her. She wanted me to tell her to go home like it was my idea, so she wouldn't be responsible for leaving without notice. I told her I wasn't mad, but it would at least count as an absence because someone else would have to overtime to cover her. Still not good enough.

So then she followed me round for a bit, moaning and holding one hand over her stomach and one over her butt. She was loudly talking about her "Fiery hot, explosive diarrhea", and saying things like "I may just poop right here by the food on accident" and "Bad things can squirt out of all my holes".

I tell her it's not a big deal, if she can't work she can't work. Still not good enough.

She follows me around more, loudly explaining her symptoms. Then suddenly she stops and says "Hey, can you do me a big favor?" "Can you get some paper towels?".
I turned around, and she's 2 feet behind me, holding both of her hands cupped towards me, completely filled to the brim with vomit. "Look" she said "It just comes right out of me!"

What the gently caress! Some employees have no problem showing up to work drunk, showing up late, not showing up at all, stealing, and getting into fights with customers. But when they are legitimately sick, I have to kiss their forehead and tell them to rest well, so they don't feel like they will "get in trouble."

She should get in trouble for coming in to work when she knew she wasn't well enough to do her shift.

The responsible thing to do if you are sick is to ring in as soon as you know you're not well enough to come in. That way you

1. Give the greatest possible time to find a replacement

2. Avoid doing something to make yourself sicker, increasing the time you need to take off

3. Avoid making anyone else sick

4. Avoid food safety incidents

5. Avoid the bad PR of customers being served by a visibly unwell cashier.

Coming to work and then leaving just screws everyone, and she should be reprimanded for it - as long as it's presented to her in the above way.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Hope you are willing to fork over the hundreds of dollars for an Er visit for a doctors note, because if you're sick at any retail/food job I've ever had it's a doctors note or a write up, regardless of if you give them as much notice as you can, and I've never been able to get to my pcp the day I have the flu to get excused, it's always a few days wait at least for an appointment.

Yoda fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 20, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Yoda posted:

Hope you are willing to fork over the hundreds of dollars for an Er visit for a doctors note, because if you're sick at any retail/food job I've ever had it's a doctors note or a write up, regardless of if you give them as much notice as you can, and I've never been able to get to my pcp the day I have the flu to get excused, it's always a few days wait at least for an appointment.

I know the US has a completely hosed up health system but are there seriously no regular Doctor's clinics where people can see a GP for low level stuff instead of going to a hospital? if so then that's just retarded. They're everywhere here, you can't swing a cat without hitting one, and a great many of them are free; but even the private ones you'd only be looking at about $65 for a standard consultation, with half of that being refunded by Medicare.

We're entitled to take single day absences without getting a note, but even when we need a note, we're explicitly allowed to provide a statutory declaration instead, which you can get done for about $20.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

There's urgent care clinics or a physician's office, but you still can be shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a visit without insurance.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I have insurance. With it I have a $500 copay at the ER. An urgent care clinic cost me $250 (insurance won't cover it) just to walk in, then any additional test they would do (xray etc) would come out of pocket. For a person who lives paycheck to paycheck that's a lot of money to shell out just to not be able to work...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's only if they decide to treat you too. A physicians office could decide they're not taking on new patients or just not take someone they feel may not be able to make payments. I think people talk about the ER in cases like this because they have to see you even if its just giving you a $65 advil and sending you on your way.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The employee is not the problem in that anecdote, the culture of getting in trouble for being genuinely ill is.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I just took a few days off because I was really sick, and I spent the whole time feeling guilty as hell and worrying that it would affect my performance review/eligibility for a contract extension even though I was legitimately bedridden with some horrible infection and was in no state to be around anyone. I'm not in retail but I'm an hourly employee with no paid sick leave so it's a similar situation.

i have been guilty of turning up sick so I could be told to go home, mostly so people don't think I'm faking it but never to that extreme. Needing 12 hours notice to call in sick is bullshit, when I started coming down with this infection from hell it was literally feeling a little sniffly/tired but otherwise ok to shaking and sweating and feeling like I was going to pass out within an hour, so an employee could feel ok the night before then wake up in the morning feeling like death and be SOL for calling out of work without getting in trouble.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Last winter, I was sick for so long (because I couldn't afford to call in more than once every other week, I just could not recover in any decent time) they actually began to suspect that I was faking it the whole time. Like, yeah, dude, totally faking a horrendous wet chest cough and runny nose for two months straight. That's me.

It's kind like when the first Walmart I worked at started investigating me for theft because of how much poo poo I kept turning in that people were stashing in my department at night, only even dumber. :rolleyes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been swamped with work, been spending 10ish hours a day in all kinds of different stores and a long time on the road. Amazingly little to note about horror stories but there is this one store where I've had some things happen that caused undesirable results and the manager has held a grudge against me and man gently caress this guy. When I have to do 5 other stores that day I'd appreciate it if after 4 hours in your store you don't make me wait another hour for a loving sign off. The two issues weren't even my fault, first one was Sony deciding to contract us and not actually tell us how to do the job and the other was the loving store's fault for dropping a power pole on an endcap, drilling down the basedecks AND having a glass case that was too big for its 4 foot section creep into mine so I couldn't install something cause the case was blocking the holes I needed to secure something and fuuuuuck dude this isn't my fault stop holding something against me for over half a loving year now and sign my paper.

Something less irritating: I was mildly amused that to put a certain smart watch into retail mode you just swipe the Konami code on it :)

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Today we were supposed to have only one truck but we ended up having three because two trucks didn't show up yesterday when they were supposed to. The first two loads were no problem and just when I thought maybe the third one wasn't going to show and we would actually get everything done it arrives 45 minutes before we had to leave. It took the guy 15 minutes to back in so we had a half hour to unload the truck and frantically get everything picked up and cleaned up. We barely got the last truck unloaded but some stuff we had leave down for the morning crew to take care of.

I was going to shovel my sidewalk and do laundry tonight but gently caress that, after the night I just had I'm going to just lay in bed and watch TV. Seriously, I'm getting so loving fed up with this god drat trucking company that absolutely can't make deliveries on time because it snowed more than a half inch.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Nocheez posted:

The employee is not the problem in that anecdote, the culture of getting in trouble for being genuinely ill is.

THIS ONE THOUSAND TIMES

You're an rear end in a top hat for not sending her home.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah what the gently caress dude! How dare she get sick!

You are a piece of poo poo. And it is a broken loving system where you get in trouble for being ill. Of course she needed to be sent home. You (or your company) have constructed a system where she's punished for doing the responsible thing. Also in most professional jobs you are expected to call in the morning of, as you likely won't know until then if you can make it in.

My boss doesn't know if I am alive or dead until 10 or 11 am, and I am scheduled in at 8. If I call in before 10:30 I am golden. Granted I don't work in a retail shithole and probably get paid a lot more than this poor girl, but that just highlights how lovely she has it, and makes you seem like even more of an rear end in a top hat for complaining about how you were inconvenienced by her having a meat body that is susceptible to illness.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
At work, there are two people in the entire shop that meet their retail sales goals. The manager, who has actually been caught faking her numbers several times, and a girl who's been working there for 5 years and barely meets the minimum requirements.
None of the staff other than those two have been working at the shop for over 6 months.
The manager just cut the hours of everyone who isn't making their goal down to 20 hours or less a week and told us all that we'd be fired by January if we couldn't meet the numbers. Previously, we had been told that we'd get three write ups, then be fired.
The girl that's been there 5 years told me that the first few years she worked for the company, she never made her goals but since there wasn't a manager at the time she was never fired for it.

The manager actually had the nerve to tell me that she knows I'm under a lot of stress at home right now, and asked if there was anything she could do to help after she cut my hours in half with no warning.

Sure, I've got a $600 rent, $100 car payment, $60 car insurance, $30 cell phone bill, and a $2,000+ medical bill from last month when I had to take a week off work due to an injury(and fell further behind on my bills) and that $360 paycheck isn't quite enough to cover that stuff. I would fuckin LOVE some help. I've got a seriously painful broken tooth too, and no dental insurance, and all I want for Christmas is my two back teeth. At least I'm losing weight cause I can't eat without excruciating pain! :unsmith:

I hate job searching but made a goal to put in at least one application per day.
I just don't want to end up in another lovely situation like with this job, so I'm being really careful about where I apply at.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

candywife posted:

I hate job searching but made a goal to put in at least one application per day.
I just don't want to end up in another lovely situation like with this job, so I'm being really careful about where I apply at.

I would suggest searching online using indeed.com. Depending on what your experience is in you may have positions open for things you are looking for.
Get out of where you are at. Try aiming for 3-5 applications a day if you can, when I apply to places I have a saved resume on my desktop that I will edit a small amount to fit into what the job is looking for. Most places you will find to apply to will take a resume and your basic information. If you need help on your resume there is this goon thread on advice to improve it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Related: Goon Budget ad at bottom of page. :smith:

candywife, I feel your pain. I was in your situation until about last year. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that my "budget" isn't red every month. My second raise (2 in one year, no less!) and move to full time finally pushed me a few cents over what I was spending! If there is a Home Depot near you, maybe check them out? I hate to say "stay in retail" but my store starts people off above minimum wage at least and they are always hiring part-time for the holidays with option to go full if you want it/are available... if you get a store with good management, it can be a decent retail experience. (Except for the customers but they suck no matter what). I hear Costco/Sams Club are good too and pay way better but I think they're harder to get into.

Good luck whatever you do... and keep your chin up. If my lovely luck can get less lovely, so can yours!

Edit for annoyance of the day: OTHER STORES.

Elderly customers come in today to my store wanting to return a cart of tile. They tell the returns cashier they bought a bunch of tile at Store A despite some of it having clearly been opened and tampered with. They were assured it was ok. They did not realize the extent of tampering until they got it home and started opening the boxes. It's all taped-up, written on, and generally picked over. Apparently someone else had purchased a bulk lot, picked through it, put the offcasts back in boxes and returned it at Store A previously.

So the couple went back to Store A to return it and were told they couldn't exchange the tile for new because A didn't have enough to exchange. They were sent to my store, where we did have enough. Sadly we at store B can't resell the old tile because it's in such bad shape, and we are not going to take a loss on another store's mistake. So our returns cashier had to tell these people that A really could take the tile back, and that they needed to go all the way back there to get their money back... which A should have given them in the first place. Heck, we even offer a buy there, pick up here option.... but no, the confounding variable was the customer's Veteran's Day discount (which clearly the other store could never have called and asked us to reciprocate on!), so Store A told the customer that to keep the discount they had to return/exchange all in one go, and thus shrugged the bad tile off on us.

We're supposed to be in this TOGETHER, guys. And that means taking responsibility when your store hosed up, not foisting it on someone else!

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 22, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I got my Thanksgiving/Black Friday hours today!

730am-115 pm Thanksgiving day.

1030pm-545 am Thanksgiving into Black Friday

4-7 pm Friday

:suicide:

I hate my life. :smith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is that seriously a six hour on, nine hours off, seven hours on, crossing through an overnight, to have ten hours off til the next four hour shift? Like, I'm misreading that, right? Because that's loving bullshit.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Sure Wish I Finished Training

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is that seriously a six hour on, nine hours off, seven hours on, crossing through an overnight, to have ten hours off til the next four hour shift? Like, I'm misreading that, right? Because that's loving bullshit.

Well, it ends with a three-hour shift, but yes, you're reading that correctly. And yes, it IS bullshit. So, so much bullshit. At least I have Saturday off after that. And I better have loving Sunday off too.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

therobit posted:

Yeah what the gently caress dude! How dare she get sick!

You are a piece of poo poo. And it is a broken loving system where you get in trouble for being ill. Of course she needed to be sent home. You (or your company) have constructed a system where she's punished for doing the responsible thing. Also in most professional jobs you are expected to call in the morning of, as you likely won't know until then if you can make it in.

My boss doesn't know if I am alive or dead until 10 or 11 am, and I am scheduled in at 8. If I call in before 10:30 I am golden. Granted I don't work in a retail shithole and probably get paid a lot more than this poor girl, but that just highlights how lovely she has it, and makes you seem like even more of an rear end in a top hat for complaining about how you were inconvenienced by her having a meat body that is susceptible to illness.

Sorry you are such an angry person, please never hold a position of any responsibility.
In the real world, there are small business who rely on their employees to work their shifts. Things happen, and people get sick, that's why you call in before your shift -- at the very least right before your shift. Showing up to work unable to work is the worst possible thing to do. Now your shift has already started and you are not working it, so management has to scramble to cover you. This isn't a Kmart situation where I can call up Chuck from the back, this is a "I have to literally turn away product delivery and bank deposits because I have to be alone in the store" type of deal.

Many companies in the US, including the one I work for, have a pool of "requested absence" days that accumulate over time. If you need schedule time off you can no problem, and if you need super quick notice time off you can use your requested absence days. Mine also has 3 "unplanned absences" per year. She used up both, and if you read my post you will see that she also called out the day before. She knew she was sick, and instead of letting us know that she would need another day off, she just showed up. Again, like I said, I told her "it's not a big deal, if you can't work you can't work" but she wanted me to let her walk away from a shift without making any note of it. I can't say that, because my boss is going to notice 10 hours of overtime on payroll, and so someone is going to bring it up to her.

I'm complaining because she was yelling about her diarrhea and vomit, and literally holding 2 handfuls vomit up to me in an attempt to not get written up -- which is out of my hands because I can't magically hide payroll from my boss.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sorry about your insane lack of empathy and Stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Baldbeard posted:

In the real world
The 'real world' is the way it is (in part) because of pieces of poo poo managers like you.