Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

If I'm wearing armor from LPAM 1.0 I can update to 2.0 and everything will still work, yes?

As far as I know, yeah. Some of the old armor stats have changed, and (in the changelog) I listed which armors had their meshes changed. It's probably best if you take the armor off before you update.

The other thing is, I'm pretty sure that the quest-related script for adding items to leveled lists is a one-time thing. Because of that, it's recommended that you start LPAM v2.0 with a new game.

Console commanding 'resetquest LPAMDistributionQuest' might trick the game into running the script again (this time with all of the new entries) but I'm not sure if it will cause redundancies or other strangeness.

Quick EDIT: Moving this from the bottom of the other page.

Alright, LPAM v2.0 is up and available
Download Link

FEATURES:
    -16 new pieces of equipment, bringing the total to 37 armors, outfits, helmets, goggles, and even a backpack!
    -Two versions: One balanced for vanilla armors, and one balanced for JSawyer.esp.
    -At least 50% better integration than LPAM v1.0, guaranteed! Most armors have been added into repair lists with similar items, conform to traits like "Four Eyes" and "Traveling Light."
    -Better than LPAM v1.0!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm currently using the Underground Hideout New Vegas version 4.3, which unfortunately doesn't support the GRA dlc. However, the next update, 4.4 doesn't say anything about it either; anyone using this mod who could let me know whether the armory display walls will handle GRA stuff yet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Holy crap, is that helmet from Metro 2033?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Cirosan posted:

Having trouble pinpointing the exact cause of the Fear the Reaper HP bug. All of the usual suspects don't seem to be the reason for the glitch, which concerns me. It also means that this may have some unfortunate implications for CCO's Classic Perks module.

So! If any of you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to do some bugtesting for me. I've already gone through the motions myself, and at this point I need a larger sample size to solve things and put my concerns to rest.

The problem: I am beginning to worry that more than just the Fear the Reaper trait screws up gaining HP at level up. In fact, I have some reason to believe that other traits in CCO might also cause level-gained HP to break, even if they have absolutely nothing to do with HP.

What I need from you: People who've played with CCO's Classic Perks installed, have you had any problems with not gaining any HP when you level up? If you haven't had any problems like that, post what CCO traits and perks your character has. If you do have problems like that, again post which CCO traits and perks you have.

A simple way to test this out quickly is to just load the game, open your Pip-Boy and see what your max HP is, then use the rewardxp console command to level yourself up, and then see if your max HP has increased or not.

What would also be helpful is if any of you would be willing to quickly make a new character, choose some of CCO's traits at creation, check your HP the second you're out of Doc Mitchell's house, and then use the console to level yourself up and see if your HP has increased. If it has and there's no problem, post which traits you chose. If it hasn't and there is a problem, also post which traits you chose.

I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer. Like I said, I've tested things very thoroughly on my own, but I need a bigger sample size before I can be sure where the problem is. The sooner I sort this out, the sooner I can crush this one last elusive bug.

Regarding this:
It hadn't happened to me, and then at one point I noticed that my HP was lower than it used to be.
I had no CCO Traits; I'm not certain which perks were added by CCO though, so I can't be sure about those.

When I checked the game settings, it turned out that fAVDHealthLevelMult was 0, instead of the 2 that CCO has it set to by default.

I hadn't used the "Don't Fear the Reaper" trait, by the way.
After setting fAVDHealthLevelMult back to 2, using the console, my HP instantly corrected itself back to the 186 that I was expecting, based on what I know of the HP formulas.

Then, I levelled myself up, and Mutated into the 'Don't Fear the Reaper' trait.
The description says that I should only gain half as much health on level-up, but in fact, taking 'Don't Fear the Reaper' set fAVDHealthLevelMult to 0 again, meaning that I gained no health on level-up.

I would also note that because health is recalculated retroactively when that game setting is changed, taking 'Don't Fear the Reaper' late-game by using Mutate causes you to lose a large chunk of HP, but doesn't retroactively grant you additional perks, making it a colossal disadvantage.

Edit Again:
Okay, it wasn't CCO at all. The issue was with the Project Nevada rebalance module; somewhere in there it had a setting for fAVDHealthLevelMult, which was being applied by a script every time I loaded a game, and overwriting the changes made by CCO.

So hey, for me at least, CCO doesn't give any problems in that area!
A negative result is a result, okay?

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 26, 2012

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Can anyone figure out why my game crashes when I try to enter the Repcon testing site with these mods? I can go most everywhere else but I can't enter the building otherwise it's crashing time.

Edit: gently caress it, I just deleted most of the mods and I'm starting over again. The Fallout and Elder Scrolls mods always hurt me more than they love me yet I keep going back to them.

ACValiant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roobanguy posted:

Holy crap, is that helmet from Metro 2033?

It might be. I'm not sure. Am I allowed to say? It could be.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Argh, My game was running fine and then I occidentally launched from FOMM without Steam being loaded which gave me the drat launcher which overwrote all my ini settings.

The game loaded fine but DUI had the massive hosed up font problem so I reapplied the Darn font settings back in the ini and now my game CTDs on launch, but just a second longer than the usual missing master CTD. Normally for a missing master it CTDs on the first slide but at the minute it is crashing after changing to the second slide.

How annoying. Does anyone know what could be causing it? I thought maybe the fint file got overwritten too somehow soI thought about reinstalling DUI but I'm worried I'll have to re-install my numerous other UI mods, some of which are then linked to gameplay mods, which I might have to reinstall etc, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kuno posted:

Argh, My game was running fine and then I occidentally launched from FOMM without Steam being loaded which gave me the drat launcher which overwrote all my ini settings.

The game loaded fine but DUI had the massive hosed up font problem so I reapplied the Darn font settings back in the ini and now my game CTDs on launch, but just a second longer than the usual missing master CTD. Normally for a missing master it CTDs on the first slide but at the minute it is crashing after changing to the second slide.

How annoying. Does anyone know what could be causing it? I thought maybe the fint file got overwritten too somehow soI thought about reinstalling DUI but I'm worried I'll have to re-install my numerous other UI mods, some of which are then linked to gameplay mods, which I might have to reinstall etc, etc.

Your game is crashing because you hosed up the fonts section of the .ini, probably. Go back into the .ini and make sure you replaced it exactly as DarnUI requests: No extra fonts, no misspellings, no multiple instances of the [font] header. Then, stop launching the game through the FalloutNVLauncher. Anytime the launcher is...launched...even if you don't start the game up with it, it'll snatch your fallout.ini and revert a lot of it to default settings. Even if it's set to "Read Only."

You can avoid this by making sure Steam is already running when you try to launch the game, and that you are starting the game through alternate executables like the NVSE launcher, FOMM, or the 4GB executable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Police Automaton posted:

Little bit of information many armor modders don't know: When you have an armor mesh, every armor part named "Upperbody" in the nif (or rather, beginning with "Upperbody") won't be rendered in first person mode. This is kind of important for many armors to avoid camera problems.

Oh my God, I can finally fix that loving Mysterious Stranger trenchcoat that kept loving up the first-person view.

Please, tell me how it's done!

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
I'm using CCO and a few mods that add armor to the game, including Police Automaton's. I'd like to make a compatibility patch that adds these armors to CCO's scripts that add a bit of damage resistance. Can I do this using FNVEdit, or do I finally need to teach myself how to use GECK?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
CCO will work with those armors out of the box, iirc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've used two computers and three browsers over the last twelve hours and every time I try to download a Nexus mod, I just get a popup with a 404. Is this happening for anybody else?

Edit: Attachment isn't working. Hopefully it doesn't show up as a table-breaker later or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Gyshall posted:

CCO will work with those armors out of the box, iirc.

That's great! What about other custom armors though? Do the scripts dynamically recognize armor, or do they need to be referenced somewhere?

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Crigit posted:

That's great! What about other custom armors though? Do the scripts dynamically recognize armor, or do they need to be referenced somewhere?

According to the readme thing, CCO'S DR module works by giving the player a hidden perk that calculates your DR based on your DT; it doesn't actually change anything about armors themselves.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Actually...
From what I've seen, CCO implements a set of armour category lists (Light, Medium, Heavy, etc.) and uses the armour's position within those lists to determine the DR the player is given.
So, any new armours won't break the existing setup, but they probably won't give you DR either, unless my understanding of the mod is completely wrong.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

Actually...
From what I've seen, CCO implements a set of armour category lists (Light, Medium, Heavy, etc.) and uses the armour's position within those lists to determine the DR the player is given.
So, any new armours won't break the existing setup, but they probably won't give you DR either, unless my understanding of the mod is completely wrong.

The code goes like this:

code:
set armor to player.getEquippedObject 2

if getArmorDT armor <= 15 && armor.isInList CCODRLightArmor == 0
	addFormToFormList CCODRLightArmor armor
elseif (getArmorDT armor > 15 && getArmorDT armor <= 20 && armor.isInList CCODRMediumArmor == 0)
	addFormToFormList CCODRMediumArmor armor
elseif getArmorDT armor > 20 && armor.isInList CCODRHeavyArmor == 0
	addFormToFormList CCODRHeavyArmor armor
endif
Which makes me believe that it scans all available armors, and then dynamically adds them to one of the lists so that they receive appropriate DR bonuses.

I want to say that this happens after the armor is equipped, as it feels like there is generally a brief pause between equipping armor and receiving the DR bonuses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I've used two computers and three browsers over the last twelve hours and every time I try to download a Nexus mod, I just get a popup with a 404. Is this happening for anybody else?

Edit: Attachment isn't working. Hopefully it doesn't show up as a table-breaker later or something.

The Nexus can be unreliable, sometimes it is just not up, or not serving file downloads.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So I don't know what I was thinking when I installed all these mods to make the game harder/more realistic. It seemed cool at first, having to struggle in the wasteland to survive, but really it's just tedious. Now I think I'll mod my game to add a bunch of cool and fun stuff instead.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46811

Actually released something for a change (M79 retexture)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46811

Actually released something for a change (M79 retexture)

Looks nice, downloading right now. So Arenovalis, I've got to ask: Are you ever planning on touching some of the energy / heavy weapons? A few of them (plasma defender) could use some love.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
If I ever have the time, maybe. I might whip up one as a proof of concept at some point.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

code:
code stuff
Which makes me believe that it scans all available armors, and then dynamically adds them to one of the lists so that they receive appropriate DR bonuses.

I want to say that this happens after the armor is equipped, as it feels like there is generally a brief pause between equipping armor and receiving the DR bonuses.

Yeah, that seems reasonably clear. Thanks for posting the code, C-O-P. Also, props to Cirosan for making such an elegant system.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Looks nice, downloading right now. So Arenovalis, I've got to ask: Are you ever planning on touching some of the energy / heavy weapons? A few of them (plasma defender) could use some love.
Bah! So if Nexus is working for you, why the hell is it still not working for me?! It doesn't even give me the option to choose my download. I click the file and it goes straight to the boxed 404.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Jesus lord, turned IWS all the way up. Getting ambushed by ten monsters each time I discovered a new place. On the plus side, it feels like factions actually control an area.

Is there a motorcycle mod that doesn't suck? I tried the most popular one on Nexus out, and wasn't very impressed. Not sure if it's Gamebryo or lovely coding, but it feels like glorified sprint and keeps making this super annoying crash noise literally every five seconds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

Jesus lord, turned IWS all the way up. Getting ambushed by ten monsters each time I discovered a new place. On the plus side, it feels like factions actually control an area.

Is there a motorcycle mod that doesn't suck? I tried the most popular one on Nexus out, and wasn't very impressed. Not sure if it's Gamebryo or lovely coding, but it feels like glorified sprint and keeps making this super annoying crash noise literally every five seconds.

This mod was mentioned in the other New Vegas thread. It doesn't allow you to physically drive the motorcycle, but rather, it acts as an immersion-friendly fast traveling system (sort of like the one from FO3's FWE) and introduces random encounters while fast traveling. Pretty smart.

You will not find a vehicle mod that allows you to reliably move around. That is the Gamebryo engine.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, I'll try that version instead. loving Gamebyro. I don't know if the second motorcycle mod is any better, but I'm too lazy to download it. It apparently has the option for machine guns on it, but knowing Gamebyro, it'll probably do the same irritating crash noise.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

JackMackerel posted:

loving Gamebyro. I don't know if the second motorcycle mod is any better, but I'm too lazy to download it.

Then thanks for posting about motorcycle mods, I guess?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I meant the other drivable one, which, I think, uses code from the first one and I'll shut up now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm fixing up a smoking mod, trying to think of a decent effect for the cigarettes to give you. Coolness obviously so something like a CHA boost seems natural but that seems a lot for something you are going to have going 24/7 unless you like nicotine withdrawal. Plus there is also the question of getting a bonus from the cigarette itself and/or the tobacco/nicotine.

Suggestions?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Definitely charisma. And I think 1+ perception, since nicotine helps people focus.

-1 Agility for poo poo in your lungs. Not sure if the engine allows for eventual status effects, since immediately getting slowed down for taking a smoke ~BREAKS MY IMMERSION~

Edit: V - Man, I forgot about that. Would be redundant with Steady, though.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 27, 2012

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 2-style cigarettes where smoking "calms your nerves" and temporarily reduces weapon sway would be neat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe a small boost to AP or AP regeneration? Would pair well with VATS or bullet time, although a little odd with sprinting.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Pwnstar posted:

I'm fixing up a smoking mod, trying to think of a decent effect for the cigarettes to give you. Coolness obviously so something like a CHA boost seems natural but that seems a lot for something you are going to have going 24/7 unless you like nicotine withdrawal. Plus there is also the question of getting a bonus from the cigarette itself and/or the tobacco/nicotine.

Suggestions?

I made this one: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42153, feel free to butcher the scripts and anything else if you want. What I'd suggest (and wanted to put in myself before I lost interest) is making craftable cigarette variants out of the chems that are in game, that'd basically give only a part of the buff a chem has, but work over a far longer period. Turn it into a recipe, slap medicine requirements on it and you have buffs for the healer class.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Police Automaton posted:

I made this one: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42153, feel free to butcher the scripts and anything else if you want. What I'd suggest (and wanted to put in myself before I lost interest) is making craftable cigarette variants out of the chems that are in game, that'd basically give only a part of the buff a chem has, but work over a far longer period. Turn it into a recipe, slap medicine requirements on it and you have buffs for the healer class.

This is the one that gets rid of all the crappy dialog trees and poo poo, right? I've been looking for this forever.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Regarding the DR module: You're all partially correct. DR is calculated based on your DT, but the class of armor you're wearing affects the formula that the DR calculation uses. New pieces of armor are scanned as soon as the player equips them. A DT of 15 or lower is classified as light armor; between 15 and 20 is medium armor; over 20 is heavy armor. If the player is wearing light armor, DR is equal to their DT minus 5; medium, DT minus 10; heavy, DT minus 15. These thresholds are fairly arbitrary, but were based off of the mean values of vanilla armors. And by "based off" I mean I opened the Fallout Wiki and glanced through the DT values of armors for a few minutes and then pulled a number out of it.

Crigit posted:

Yeah, that seems reasonably clear. Thanks for posting the code, C-O-P. Also, props to Cirosan for making such an elegant system.
Thank you. It really does mean a lot to hear people say that they enjoy my work.

Speaking of which, I'm still trying to narrow down this Classic Perks HP bug, but I haven't had as much free time as I would like right now. I may have pinpointed the cause of the Fear the Reaper bug, but that still doesn't explain the bug occurring when the player has other traits active. If anyone else wants to make a few more bug-testing runs and report back, it'd be a great help, but it's nothing urgent or anything.

In regards to Fear the Reaper not giving extra perks but lowering HP retroactively: That's a very astute observation. I had no idea that setting those GMSTs worked retroactively. This oversight will be corrected for next release.

As for PN's Rebalance not playing well with Classic Perks: At a closer look, the two scripts are duking it out. I thought CP's failsafe scripts would be enough, but I didn't understand how PN's Rebalance did things. Again, something to be fixed for next release.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cirosan posted:

Thank you. It really does mean a lot to hear people say that they enjoy my work.

Well then, hear it some more...Your stuff is great. Thanks for all the thought and effort you put into it!

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I want to start modding this game big time. What is the best way to learn how? Adding some quests or people?

My dream mod would be a place where you encounter a group of people who are trying to recreate pre-war life based on their limited knowledge. But they need help in some areas. (like What form of Law they need, Post-war "Kill for stealing"
It would have some quests that allows you to unlock more stuff until you become Mayor and you will gain caps and stuff for free. A little like RTS but the place is already built.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Supeerme posted:

I want to start modding this game big time. What is the best way to learn how? Adding some quests or people?

My dream mod would be a place where you encounter a group of people who are trying to recreate pre-war life based on their limited knowledge. But they need help in some areas. (like What form of Law they need, Post-war "Kill for stealing"
It would have some quests that allows you to unlock more stuff until you become Mayor and you will gain caps and stuff for free. A little like RTS but the place is already built.

Have you ever modded a Gamebryo game before? From what you're describing, you're going to need to know a lot about everything: Making new NPCs, making new cells and buildings, new scripts, dialogue, quests...and I've learned that a lot of things are overlapping, like how I needed to make a basic quest to run a script to drop new weapons and leveled lists into preexisting ones. In these games, nothing is ever as simple as modifying what already exists, directly, because of the severe conflicts that you can create from doing so.

If you have no experience, I would recommend starting small. You try tackling the mod you're describing and I think you'd be overwhelmed and give up before you made any headway with it. Find a relatively simple mod, figure out what it's supposed to do, and then crack it open in FNVEdit + GECK and see how it does it. Make changes to it, expand on it, and test it out in-game. Learn to love right-click "use info" in order to unravel what references what.

EDIT: Cirosan, how did you implement the 2x bonus to tagged skills and where can I find it in your plugin? Is it 'skillpointstagskillmult'?

Nevermind, figured it out!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 27, 2012

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Other thank changing a few modded Armour and weapons in Oblivion, no I don't have a lot of experience. It's a pipe dream I know but it's always something I wanted to see in NV.

Is there any mods out there that allows you to start in the Legion instead of Goodsprings? I want to play as one of the Legionaries. I know there is a mod that expanded the Legion a bit more and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Supeerme posted:

Is there any mods out there that allows you to start in the Legion instead of Goodsprings? I want to play as one of the Legionaries. I know there is a mod that expanded the Legion a bit more and stuff.

Try this.