Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

5436 posted:

The tap to wake and ok Google features just don't work reliably on the N9. Probably the best two features and they are always buggy. Tap to wake fails constantly for me now. Ok Google almost never works from sleep.

Works pretty much perfectly for me on mine, both wake with double-tap and "OK, Google".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Decius posted:

Works pretty much perfectly for me on mine, both wake with double-tap and "OK, Google".

My ok Google from sleep will work only after a restart. After that it will not work until another restart. Tap to wake works 90% of the time but it's very annoying when it doesn't.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
In a move that will likely horrify most inhabitants of this thread, I needed a new tablet and so I bought a Tescos' Hudl2. And I'm really happy with it.

This will now be my 3 or 4th tablet (having started with flashing cheap grey market hardware, and moved through the Asus Transformers) and I'm pretty clear on what I use a tablet for. Reading books, playing boardgames, occasional web / email / calendar. Maps when I'm on holidays. So I'm happy to use something that's solid and just works. And if the tablet is cheap? Then I always figure that I can replace it earlier and still be ahead.

For the non-UKers, Tescos is a massive chain of supermarkets with their fingers in everything - insurance, phones, loans, banking, holidays, etc. It's been estimated that 20% of all money spent in the UK goes through Tescos. The tablet comes with a custom launcher with all sorts of links and features that tie into Tescos various shops - not only groceries, but their own Amazon & Netflix equivalents: blinkbox for digital books, films and movies. It's a competent launcher and I can see someone finding those shopping features useful, but I'm happy without. I replaced it with Go Launcher and haven't looked back. Little or no bloatware as a result.

Bad stuff? The device is a little heavy, so you may find it slightly awkward held in one hand. The battery may run down a little fast if you play videos or games that are heavy on graphics. Also, your friends will sneer when you reveal that you use a tablet from a supermarket chain.

Good stuff? Good price. Wifi and GPS seems robust (after the Asus tablets). Fast enough. Standard charger. 8.3 inch screen for us readers - big but not too big. Display seems pretty crisp. External compact SD slot. Comes in a stupid variety of colours if that matters. Seems pretty solid. Mostly - it just works.

So this is why I'm happy with a desperately uncool tablet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

outlier posted:

So this is why I'm happy with a desperately uncool tablet.
What OS version is this shipping with? The biggest thing that makes me weary of recommending this to people is that I figure it'll never be up to date.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Tunga posted:

What OS version is this shipping with? The biggest thing that makes me weary of recommending this to people is that I figure it'll never be up to date.

It's on 4.4.2 Kitkat but they haven't seem to of said anything about updating to lollipop yet.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

JoeMB posted:

It's on 4.4.2 Kitkat but they haven't seem to of said anything about updating to lollipop yet.

That's right. The word seems to be that updates are slow but do arrive. (And having previously had tablets and phones where major updates just never occurred at all, I'm happy with any schedule.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm having an annoying lollipop issue right now with notification popups. I get a hangout message and the notification pops up at the top of the screen. I can't seem to be able to DO anything with the notification except swipe it away. If I touch it or double tap it, it doesn't take me into hangouts. If I keep doing stuff in the app I'm in, usually the notification disappears and becomes a normal notification and I can then pull down the shade and interact with it (though, every once and awhile, the notification popup will get stuck.)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

bull3964 posted:

I'm having an annoying lollipop issue right now with notification popups. I get a hangout message and the notification pops up at the top of the screen. I can't seem to be able to DO anything with the notification except swipe it away. If I touch it or double tap it, it doesn't take me into hangouts. If I keep doing stuff in the app I'm in, usually the notification disappears and becomes a normal notification and I can then pull down the shade and interact with it (though, every once and awhile, the notification popup will get stuck.)

I found that just last night, really annoying.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Well after using my Nexus 9 for over a week I'm sad to say it's getting returned. I'm running into some really enjoying issues that could be hardware or could be software, but aren't worth living with and hoping for a fix.

One deal breaker is I think buginess in the auto backlight control. It will frequently get confused and start flickering the backlight to low and high values that are really distracting. This seems to happen at low levels of light, but my Nexus 7 never had a problem in the same light. Even when I turn off auto backlight I still sometimes see the flickering so I'm concerned its a hardware bug.

The other issue is if audio plays for a long time, like a podcast plays for an hour or two, it will suddenly get scratchy and horrible sounding. If I pause and play again its fixed so I think its a software bug, but come on that is a ridiculous bug to ship and never happened on my Nexus 7 with kit kat.

There are other smaller issues like I definitely am noticing significant slowdowns and stuttering when switching to the home screen now. If I had to guess it must be memory or resource leak since it seems to happen after its been running for a few days.

Battery life is quite frankly poor. I only listen to podcasts and surf the web, yet it can barely make it a day on a charge (and even then sometimes not a full day!).

The heat issue is concerning too, the back gets quite hot just watching a YouTube video and surely isn't good in the long run for the tablet.

I really wanted to like this device but either I got a bad one, the N9 hardware is not well optimized/buggy, Lollipop has some serious issues, or some combination of the above. I'm personally going to hold off quite a bit on upgrading my Nexus 7 to Lollipop. I guess ythe Nexus 9 is going back for an iPad Mini or maybe Air.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Well, ol' Bessie (the Acer Aspire laptop) overheats basically every time I use it. Got 4 years (give or take) of hard college & business use out of it, so I guess that'll do for it.

As an alternative to a tablet, I recommend to everybody that they get a Chromebook. They are genius: light, long-lasting battery, & sturdy construction, BUT with all of the features of a full-size laptop. They do Word/Excel/Powerpoint in abbreviated online versions and surf the web flawlessly (which, let's be real, is what most of us spend most of our computer time doing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar or is deluding themselves).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, the N9 is getting another update pushed to it starting today (along with the rest of the 5.0 images) so it may be worth holding on to it a tiny bit longer to see if this patch fixes your issues.

On an amusing note, Amazon just informed me that my tablet (which I have been using for the past week) isn't expecting to ship until the 19th and here's a $10 credit to make up for it. Ok.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bull3964 posted:

On an amusing note, Amazon just informed me that my tablet (which I have been using for the past week) isn't expecting to ship until the 19th and here's a $10 credit to make up for it. Ok.

:cool: Me too. Thanks Amazon!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Me three, and I even canceled more order on the 3rd because Amazon didn't ship.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My nexus 7 died a few weeks ago, so I recently got a Galaxy tab 7 4th generation.

I gotta say, I like this thing a lot. Lighter than my n7, a fuckton faster, and it even has a smaller footprint. I also like having a physical home button, it's nice being able to press that to wake up the device instead of the power button. Very happy with it so far.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Updated my N10 to Lollipop, it's beautiful, no more juddery scrolling, a device reborn.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My nexus 7 died a few weeks ago, so I recently got a Galaxy tab 7 4th generation.

I gotta say, I like this thing a lot. Lighter than my n7, a fuckton faster, and it even has a smaller footprint. I also like having a physical home button, it's nice being able to press that to wake up the device instead of the power button. Very happy with it so far.

Was it a 2012 or 2013 N7? I saw the Galaxy tab 7 at Staples but I'm somewhat overly attached to the N7 tablet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Alder posted:

Was it a 2012 or 2013 N7? I saw the Galaxy tab 7 at Staples but I'm somewhat overly attached to the N7 tablet.

A 2012. I would have kept it if it didn't poo poo out on me, but it did so here I am.

I really do like it, though I guess if you're one of those people who sperg out about Samsung UI stay away? It doesn't bother me and actually multi window mode owns bones. Read some reviews on it because they definitely cut corners to keep the price down and performance up (no ambient light sensor for example) , but I think they nailed the ratio.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 13, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

A 2012. I would have kept it if it didn't poo poo out on me, but it did so here I am.

I really do like it, though I guess if you're one of those people who sperg out about Samsung UI stay away? It doesn't bother me and actually multi window mode owns bones. Read some reviews on it because they definitely cut corners to keep the price down and performance up (no ambient light sensor for example) , but I think they nailed the ratio.

I had the 2012 16GB wifi but it was slowing down dramatically so I sold it at loss. I haven't paid much attn to the Samsung UI though. Is it fixable w/custom launcher apps?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Alder posted:

I had the 2012 16GB wifi but it was slowing down dramatically so I sold it at loss. I haven't paid much attn to the Samsung UI though. Is it fixable w/custom launcher apps?

Probably, for the most part? Not really sure tbh.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

2013 N7, flashed the 5.0 factory image. It's sat for like 25 minutes playing the boot animation and doing nothing else. Anyone else experience something similar? Does it just take that long to start up on first boot?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

N7 2012 is stuttering a bit, better than kitkat though. 20 minutes on the boot up for the first time sounds right, I suspect its due to ART doing the precompiling.

Pulled it off the charger at ~8am to now (9pm) this morning to see how the batt drain on a fresh install was and it sat there sipping very little

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

2013 N7, flashed the 5.0 factory image. It's sat for like 25 minutes playing the boot animation and doing nothing else. Anyone else experience something similar? Does it just take that long to start up on first boot?

Mine sat forever, I power cycled it and it booted up to an upgrade screen saying it was on step 10-11 of 13, then booted up fine. Not sure what it's doing, but I'm guessing that's normalish? I'm pretty new to Android though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The switch to ART is going to take forever if you have a lot of apps. For whatever reason, they don't give a progress bar on the app upgrade process.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Power cycling did the trick for me. v:shobon:v

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Tunga posted:

Updated my N10 to Lollipop, it's beautiful, no more juddery scrolling, a device reborn.

Can't wait. Did you do a reset as well or just straight upgrade?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

Can't wait. Did you do a reset as well or just straight upgrade?
Just fastboot update, no wipe. I don't use it a lot though so it's not exactly full of stuff.

I did get an "Updating apps x/y" progress indicator on first boot. It took ~15 minutes with ~150 apps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Priss In Plate posted:

Power cycling did the trick for me. v:shobon:v

Tried that repeatedly, it just sat there on the spinning circles animation again. I let it sit overnight with no movement. I also tried re-flashing 5.0 again thinking it was a bad flash, no luck.

I wound up reverting it to 4.4.4 again using the factory image, then unpacking the 5.0 image file and manually flashing each partition. Now it actually booted and is sitting on the dalvik-ART conversion process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Credit where credit's due.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lollipop-50-available-nvidia-shield-november-18

Shield tablet getting 5.0 on Nov 18th.

I love this new trend of manufacturers falling over each other to get updates out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Guessing the shield handheld isn't getting it at all

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The official forums are saying it'll be coming for the portable at about the same time as the tegra note 7. Random forum user said April, and an nVidia rep said not that late.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heh, looks like amazon sent me a 10$ credit for the tablet I canceled + 5$ credit for the cover that apparently won't arrive until Dec 1st.

After about a 1.5 weeks of use from me (home + train), I am definitely keeping mine. I don't use automatic brightness on any devices, so maybe that is an issue, but I have not seen it. I have not really noticed any large slowdowns between games, comics, and browsing. Occasionally there are stutters going to the recent apps like reviews/people have noted. Battery life is adequate to good, possibly because I use airplane mode when commuting? But even then all day at a friend's house watching football (browsing and checking scores on the tablet) it lasted basically as long as his Air 2, which is all I can ask for. I love the size and aspect ratio.

Perfect device? No.
Fits what I wanted and need? Yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon told me they were giving the $10 credit, but the reality is it isn't there. The email was likely a misfire.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Amazon told me they were giving the $10 credit, but the reality is it isn't there. The email was likely a misfire.

Sounds like the kind of mistake they should offer you a small gift card for as an apology.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I looked for the android gaming thread and couldn't find it so I figured this is as good of a place as any to ask.

Do any of you use stand-alone bluetooth gaming controllers for your tablet/phone/nexus player? I bought myself a cheap one for 15 bucks and it doesn't work....going to RMA it back to Amazon, and I don't want to get the same model so I'm looking to get something better.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Good grief Google needs to pull Lollipop and finish testing it. I just tried to do a factory reset of my N9 but it seems to have hard locked up. I'll give it 10 more mins or so but this nuts if you can't even reset the device.

edit: Geeze after 5 mins it finally started to do the reset. Be warned if you do a factory reset it is super flakey and weird.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 13, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I looked for the android gaming thread and couldn't find it so I figured this is as good of a place as any to ask.

Do any of you use stand-alone bluetooth gaming controllers for your tablet/phone/nexus player? I bought myself a cheap one for 15 bucks and it doesn't work....going to RMA it back to Amazon, and I don't want to get the same model so I'm looking to get something better.

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273

They have a few old megathreads for individual games or apps too.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Tunga posted:

Just fastboot update, no wipe. I don't use it a lot though so it's not exactly full of stuff.

I did get an "Updating apps x/y" progress indicator on first boot. It took ~15 minutes with ~150 apps.

Upgraded after a terrifying hour of bootloops and a crash course in fastboot/adb.

Never again... :sigh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

Upgraded after a terrifying hour of bootloops and a crash course in fastboot/adb.

Never again... :sigh:
My Nexus 5 is on "Optimising apps" now so we'll see what happens. So far I spent exactly 30 seconds fastbooting the factory image as normal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heh, looks like amazon sent me a 10$ credit for the tablet I canceled + 5$ credit for the cover that apparently won't arrive until Dec 1st.

The official HTC cover? I ordered it from amazon and there's no date in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Lollipop runs surprisingly well on the N10. Didn't fix the Lost Connection issue, but that's as far as I know a hardware issue the series had, so it wasn't expected. No reboot so far, which is already better than KitKat. *knocks on wood*

Maybe 2 % standby drain in about 12h, very impressive (although slightly worse than the N9 in this regard). Seems the days of it being out of battery after four days of non-use are finally over.

Decius fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 13, 2014