Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ror posted:

This "two hosts" thing is clearly bullshit, I can't really see it as anything but a way to soften the blow of the news.

I can't think of a way of making "Mike Richards is the new host" worse other than adding, "and so will Mayim Bialik sometimes" unless you substitute either name for Dr. Oz.

Of the guest hosts, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

I can't think of a way of making "Mike Richards is the new host" worse other than adding, "and so will Mayim Bialik sometimes" unless you substitute either name for Dr. Oz.

Of the guest hosts, anyway.

It's truly like they took last week's backlash and went "how can we make people hate this MORE?"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

WarEternal posted:

I wasn't around to read the thread consensus on his run, but was it that he was purposefully given a bad editing job? Because I found it really loving weird when watching the episodes, but only now do I feel like there was malicious intent behind it.

I find it pretty unlikely that they would intentionally edit the show to make it worse. What’s more likely is that the amount of reshoots needed to make a seamless show wasn’t feasible, time wise or editing wise.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Holy Hell, did Joe really need to impersonate Dangerfield like that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Holy Hell, did Joe really need to impersonate Dangerfield like that?

I laughed out loud at this :haw:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mangosteen! I got the correct response because of these dumb forums

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mlnhd posted:

lol same

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mlnhd posted:

poo poo, a hell of a time to not watch Jeopardy because the TV is broken

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Brianna, if you’re reading this, you did great

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bloody hell, that was a frustrating Jeopardy today.

Matt essentially got double the time on a Double Jeopardy response - a $12,000 swing - and yet another horribly worded Final.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

christmas boots posted:

This but Andy Daly

only if he's doing Dom Dimello

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ror posted:

This "two hosts" thing is clearly bullshit, I can't really see it as anything but a way to soften the blow of the news.

Both of them will forever be tarred by "it took two people to do what Trebek did".

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

xarph posted:

Give LeVar his own quiz show, just one not produced by Merv Griffin Productions.

Yeah, I get the sense that people disliked LeVar Burton, but I found that he brought a kind of genuine (and awkward) enthusiasm and authenticity to the role that would've been a perfect fit for Jeopardy. I think he would have grown into the job really well, and it sucks that he didn't get a second week to show how he hosted with more familiarity with the role.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe it’s because I know what we have to live with forever but I’m finding Joe Buck far less annoying after a couple of days apart from the fact that he’s a talking caps lock button.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mennoknight posted:

And a little somethin for daddy

Did anyone else find Joe Buck actually kind of charming and funny tonight? Was he actually good or do I just think that now that the dark times are upon us?

E: ^ yeah, that

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it takes two of them to do the job maybe letting the producer be one of the candidates was maybe not such a hot idea

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Maybe it’s because I know what we have to live with forever but I’m finding Joe Buck far less annoying after a couple of days apart from the fact that he’s a talking caps lock button.

Yeah, his volume and cadence are off but he's clearly having fun and is a likeable dude.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I really like JB. Also he kinda looks like Thomas Dolby :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

It looked and sounded like one of the production coordinators moved his mic down his lapel on the first commercial break of his first episode, because just wow

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Cyril Sneer posted:

I really like JB.

JB Smoove should definitely be the next host actually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/justin_klugh/status/659236511565639680?lang=en

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Joe Buck is a little yelly but overall a really good host. He'd never take it even if offered but I'd have been fine with him as the permanent host.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why isn't Andre Braugher the new host

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I wrote a short story Jeopardy murder mystery. (Hopefully Golbez takes this with good humor, i don’t actually mean you any harm sir).

Story

Ike Prichard was smiling. His scheme went according to plan, and the announcement made him official, he knew he was in the clear.

But then he heard a forbidding Big Bang in the background

The next thing he knew, he heard a snap and then felt a push

If not for forums poster Golbez, diving to knock Prichard out of the way, the chandelier would have dropped on him

But who would have rigged the chandelier? Prichard thought.

Thankfully, as executive producer, he knew who would clean up Golbez’s crushed remains. As always, he would make someone else do the work.

Flashing a nazi symbol that he still didn’t know was a nazi symbol, Prichard knew he would have to be careful.

As he was smiling to himself though, Prichard’s never saw the club as it swung from behind to knock him out.

As he looked up, seeing the angry face of Buzzy, club raised, the final words heard as darkness crept in was “what is Natural Selection, not Executive Selection, Bitch”

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's beautiful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As someone who enjoys the show but not obsessively and has been watching this whole situation with casual curiosity, was there any kind of push for Kenan Thompson to get a shot? Or was that seen as disrespectful given Trebek's passing?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Sweet merciful crap, The Red Bulls sound like a energy drink because Red Bull owns them you freaking clue writers!

Is it me or is Joe haming it up to the point of Dada? If they hadn't just redone the set, it's possible he would've gone all Eric Andre on it for the finale.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

how did two grown rear end people miss one of the easiest finals I've ever seen. even if you didn't know it, there is only one reasonable guess

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

big trivia FAIL posted:

how did two grown rear end people miss one of the easiest finals I've ever seen. even if you didn't know it, there is only one reasonable guess

absolutely blown away by second place betting more than ~2000. you've watched this guy from the audience for the last 3 games and he's 1-for-3 on FJ. just give yourself the *opportunity* to win, drat

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

big trivia FAIL posted:

I blew it. I didn't know what the category was (I fast forwarded from round's end to the music) and said All The President's Men with Nixon being the allegorical whale taken down. I didn't know Jaws was published in 1974 either so with the film in 1975 I would assume a book to film adaptation would be longer than a year.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
just found out one of my old trivia-writing coworkers (nicolle) is on tonight, they're very very sharp. if matt falters he could be in trouble

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spokes posted:

just found out one of my old trivia-writing coworkers (nicolle) is on tonight, they're very very sharp. if matt falters he could be in trouble

A few local friends know Nicolle from UChicago scavenger hunt, they should be a force here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL one of my Facebook friends from J! also knows Nicolle, it looks like they're very connected in the trivia world.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mennoknight posted:

Chip Gardner, honorary mayor of Hollywood

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ho ho ho hoooo Golly

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m watching last nights episode now and I kind of want Joe Buck to host forever.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Spokes posted:

She was was very strong early on.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I thought Nicolle was gonna pull it off until that daily double

E: I’ve been amusing myself all week imagining a Joe Buck hosted Celebrity Jeopardy with Artie Lange as a contestant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

‘Like Choosing a Pope’: How Succession Got Messy at ‘Jeopardy!’

Nothing too earthshattering in it, though there's an insinuation that Mike Richards, shall we say, massaged the focus groups that were an important factor in deciding the next host:

quote:

Sony said that while Mr. Richards initially led the hunt for Mr. Trebek’s replacement, he moved aside after he emerged as a candidate.

But as executive producer, Mr. Richards retained a key role in selecting which appearances by each prospective host would be screened for focus groups, whose reactions weighed heavily in Sony’s decision-making, according to three people familiar with the show’s internal deliberations. The other supervising “Jeopardy!” producers were excluded from that process, the people said.

Asked about Mr. Richards’s role, Sony referred to a memo from its TV chairman, Ravi Ahuja, who told staff that after the company began considering Mr. Richards as a potential host, “he was not part of” the selection process. The ultimate decision was made by Tony Vinciquerra, the chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

And also what could be perhaps read as some subtle shade from Ken at the end:

quote:

“I knew ‘Jeopardy!’ was in a spot this year, and I mostly wanted them to have a smooth transition,” Mr. Jennings said. “I was not going to lobby for that job in the media, ever. I was not going to plant stories about what a promising young candidate I was. I wasn’t interested in doing any of that. I am a company man.”