Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I think Wyzard and I have already been explicit about the problems that doing it this way causes, namely, lots and lots of people dropping shade under facially-innocuous statements.

it’s almost as if you need some sort of system where people apply those rules based on discretion and common sense. you could call these people “moderators”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

it’s almost as if you need some sort of system where people apply those rules based on discretion and common sense. you could call these people “moderators”

We already know Rand isn't suitable to be one though, he was demodded at RPG.net for a personal attack in an infraction notice. Should have tone policed himself better, I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Follow up: So if you get removed as a mod at RPG.net you should automatically be banned, right? No lenience, the forum rules are iron. So Rand is in the exact same bucket for saying "gently caress you" once as an admitted statutory rapist. :thumbsup:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Arivia posted:

Follow up: So if you get removed as a mod at RPG.net you should automatically be banned, right? No lenience, the forum rules are iron. So Rand is in the exact same bucket for saying "gently caress you" once as an admitted statutory rapist. :thumbsup:

Now, now let's not be too hasty.

McFarland hasn't publicly admitted anything yet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Gosh, where to start....

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

But, this is not one situation. This is a pattern of incidents throughout, essentially, western culture going back indefinitely that is starting to come to light and get the attention it deserves. It is going to become extremely necessary very soon for places like RPGNet (and Something Awful for that matter) to have a very clear and specific process for dealing with harassment between users and especially by staff. We absolutely have to assume that other moderators and site admins on various websites are going to be accused of doing horrible things. It is completely appropriate to discuss, in the thread about this industry, how these situations are going to be addressed in the future, and to look at an immediate and current situation as an example.

I think it should be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Going "Gosh, this sure is sad, but what about the wider implications of one-sided accusations impacting the hapless accused?" Sounds an awful lot like the same old distraction tactic of questioning a victim's legitimacy under the guise of "academic inquiry", which you say you're not doing and don't want to do. I don't get why this hole needs to be plumbed right now.

Jimbozig posted:

Well how about this forum? If I post "Serf came to my house and killed my dog because of my bad posting," what should the mods here do? Even without adding the emotional stakes of sexual abuse, it's not an easy question. Adding a sexual abuse element to the allegation makes it even more fraught. What is a good policy for this forum, and for forums in general to deal with allegations of off-site misconduct and crime between forum members?

I would like it formally and officially known that forum's poster Jimbozig killed my dog. What will the mods do about this heinous act?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

"hillariously incompetent" and not "unprofessional" and while certainly leaning more towards being a personal attack than just a statement of fact, I really want to reiterate my point about tone policing and legitimate frustration here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i killed all your dogs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

i killed all your dogs

I didn't have a dog, but you killed my not-having-a-dog so I have a dog now. Its name is Pepperoni. I think I kind of like having a dog now. :unsmith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Serf posted:

i killed all your dogs

You'll never work in this industry again. I, Shannon Applecline, declare it so.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

The personal attack rule doesn't really care about degree?

Holy poo poo are you unable to understand any degree of nuisance in words and phrasing. You understand the very basic concepts of letter of the law and spirit of the law right? Like I don't have to teach you about intent?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

LatwPIAT posted:

"hillariously incompetent" and not "unprofessional" and while certainly leaning more towards being a personal attack than just a statement of fact, I really want to reiterate my point about tone policing and legitimate frustration here.

This is what I was thinking of, for what it's worth, I didn't go back and actually check the posts though. That one also got a ding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RPZip posted:

This is what I was thinking of, for what it's worth, I didn't go back and actually check the posts though. That one also got a ding.

So is Onyx Path worse at layout than Siembieda and his old wax machine?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wish this conversation hadn't devolved into just a bunch of complaining about RPG.net's forums moderation. That's unfortunate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

So is Onyx Path worse at layout than Siembieda and his old wax machine?

Oh! It's my turn!

Let's see-

No.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I wish this conversation hadn't devolved into just a bunch of complaining about RPG.net's forums moderation. That's unfortunate.

better than novel-length posts of hand-wringing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

excuse me, is that a personal attack?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Serf posted:

but y'aaaaaaaaaaaall! what if i really did kill jimbozig's dog because of his bad posting? surely that's a thing that could happen and shouldn't be compared to a person actually getting raped as a child, right??

Yeah, I specifically posted something NOT comparable because the idea of posting a comparable thing even in a hypothetical disgusts me. I don't want to post about hypothetical child rapes.

This whole thing is sick. I once was tutoring a guy at Ryerson and he was a regular and started getting familiar. Too familiar. Started showing me texts from hot girls or whatever. This guy was hot, so he always had plenty of girls interested. One day he tells me that a 14 year old girl is hitting on him and asks me should he go for it? I told him no - gently caress no - that is a crime and she is a dumb kid and you can just go gently caress one of your other girls how is this even a question - what the gently caress. Do not do it.

WHY? What the gently caress is wrong with society that this guy who can have all kinds of girls thinks he has no responsibility to any of them? That he can take advantage of all of them? Regardless of any and all circumstances?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Arivia posted:

Uh excuse me if the forum rules don't work you can sue Lowtax for your first amendment dead baby rights.

Can't sue Lowtax. He can't be held accountable for uncurated third-party content on his site.

I am not making GBS threads you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LF caused the Secret Service to have to interview Lowtax like twice right?

and then he also got interviewed about Slenderman

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jimbozig posted:

WHY? What the gently caress is wrong with society that this guy who can have all kinds of girls thinks he has no responsibility to any of them? That he can take advantage of all of them? Regardless of any and all circumstances?

I feel like it's because our society elevates people that do that. Economically, socially, or...otherwise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

Dunno how long you've been on RPGnet, but a little background for general understanding:

Once upon a time, RPGnet had a serious problem with people pulling poo poo like "Oh, I'm not saying that being gay is bad, per se, and I definitely don't hate gays, but here's my theological argument that homosexuality is a choice and a sin and gays will burn in the lake of fire for eternity, according to the only correct reading of the Bible." So a series of rules had to be created to deal with that. Somehow, this eventually evolved into a system where calling someone out for arguing in bad faith is a personal attack, and knowing what a corporate HR department does is technically the same as ethnic slurs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bewilderment posted:

LF caused the Secret Service to have to interview Lowtax like twice right?

and then he also got interviewed about Slenderman

LF caused the secret service to visit Lowtax once. A fyad poster also got a visit from them once and they made him cry and explain goatse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mostly I miss the stupid comic draft threads. It was stupid nerdy fanficcy poo poo, but it was super fun. And now I’m banned forever.

:smith:

The Wyzard
Feb 7, 2013

Extra Legal

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mostly I miss the stupid comic draft threads. It was stupid nerdy fanficcy poo poo, but it was super fun. And now I’m banned forever.

:smith:

Try appealing and promise not to do whatever actually got you banned anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Wyzard posted:

Try appealing and promise not to do whatever actually got you banned anymore.

Can't. I freaked out over emails and was told in no uncertain term that any emails I would send would be deleted without being read.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Wyzard posted:

You are not wrong.

The problem, more specifically, is not "separate the art from the artist." It's "separate the art from between one artist and a whole bunch of other artists who collaborated imperfectly on the same work."

If Matt were the only person who worked on Beast, this would be a different question, even in the absence of the present allegation.

I'm pretty familiar with the controversy as it occurred during the Kickstarter and immediately in the aftermath. I'm not familiar with the article you're referencing, but several people have mentioned it so far. I'm likely not quite up to speed on the issue if its as definitive as its been implied to be. I suppose I should track it down and read it before I say anything else.

F&F is more a forum thread than an article but it is pretty drat diffinitive and why people here are extremely comfortable declaring it a game about celebrating and defending the abuse of children.

Beast is so very much a passion project by the man accused of raping a 16 year old that no other designer fully explained WHY the game found it necessary to celebrate and defemd the abuse of children. In fact, I can pull up multiple posts of multiple OP writers establishing that they were not sympatico to the lead writer than has been accused of raping a 16 year old, that they were hoping that future, not-being-written-by-the-guy-accused-of-raping-a-16-year-old books would help expand the game, that they worked on the parts that very explicitly were not about celebrating and defending the abuse of children.

Beast is a preeminent example of auteur theory, but is also unfortunately an example of bad art, and this accusation has not altered these outlooks whatsoever.

I'm certain you feel very welcomed by the presence of a man accused of raping a 16 year old girl in your community. I can only hope that you are comfortable with what your embrace of a man accused of of raping a 16 year old represents to people who are made not welcome.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

i killed all your dogs

I am a dog.
I am also immortal.
You dweeb, you colossal fuckup.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well, sure didn’t take long for people to start using the rape of a teenager as a weapon to try and settle scores with people for other moderation decisions they didn’t like. No siree bob.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well, sure didn’t take long for people to start using the rape of a teenager as a weapon to try and settle scores with people for other moderation decisions they didn’t like. No siree bob.
The rape of a teenager by a (now-ex)moderator that the other moderators are willing to accept as a continued member of the community (because whether or not they have qualms about keeping him as a forum member, the fact is that if they stay in a moderator post they are effectively standing by the site owner's decision there) seems like precisely the sort of thing which ought to put a spotlight on the moderation. The scrutiny might not be comfortable, but you know what happens when people given positions of authority get to brush away all scrutiny by saying "Oh, it was just that one bad apple, there's nothing more to see here!"? More abuse happens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No, you know what happens? MARXOTEENS

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Lisa Stevens' statement was pretty lacking in any sort of acknowledgement of mistakes, in fact broadly 'yeah, we're the good guys, of course we'd never do any of this, you can trust us'

Eric Mona, on the other hand has amazingly admitted that they've been screwing up. It's the first acknowledgement i've seen from anyone from Paizo.

https://twitter.com/erikmona/status/923101478083969024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

No, you know what happens? MARXOTEENS

I drink my marxoteen every morning to keep my bones as strong as my conviction to seize the means of production

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not sure whether i'm more surprised that Beast being designed by a sex criminal makes it immune to criticism or that my being left of Clinton makes me a Marxist teenager.

This has been an educational thread.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Serf posted:

love to debate the rules of another forum on this forum.

That's because you can't do it on RPG.net without getting moderated.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Serf posted:

i killed all your dogs
Didn't take Skill Focus: Killng the Dog though, did you?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Point: If, legally speaking, it's in the guy's best interest for him not to post at all...

...Then why not go through the act of performative justice and ban him?

First, you come out ahead of the situation. Always a plus.

Second, you put a stop to people coming out of the woodwork saying 'I've been banned for less'. People will stop questioning your moderation logic, because right now they've got a drat good reason to question it.

Third, and I can't emphasize this enough, you stop looking sympathetic towards alleged child rapists.

The facts of sexual assault and rape do not justify caution/inaction - false accusation rates are anywhere from 2 -10 percent, with the real rate likely being closer to 2 percent because some studies had very generous definitions of 'false'.

This kind of equivocating logic is usually employed by people who don't want to confront skeletons in closets. I can understand why - it can be very difficult to accept that a colleague or a friend is capable of monstrous acts. It is much easier, and much more convenient, to sweep it all under the rug and pretend like nothing's happened. Besides, he must be going through a lot right now because he has to deal with this accusation, right?

Provided that the accusation is true (extremely likely), whatever he's dealing with right now doesn't hold a goddamn candle to the poo poo the person he raped when they were a child did, does, and will continue to go through for the rest of their life.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 25, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I know I'm just a nobody and who cares about my opinion, but I'd seriously advise banning McFarland. I don't understand why you wouldn't. Not only is it damaging to a major part of RPG.net's mission goal, but its going to hang like a toxic fog over the site, constantly being an elephant in the room and undermining everything. Sure, there's a possibility he has been falsely accused. I get it, he's your buddy and he's not like that and blah blah blah. Get over that. It's slim and extremely unlikely, especially since he willingly stepped down from his moderator position, but it exists. If that's creating reluctance, guess what? It's access to a forum, not a jail sentence. It's not a right, it's barely a punishment and he can always be unbanned.

Other scumbags have been banned for this kind of thing before. For example, Duck Call Lass was revealed as a harasser and got turfed from the community despite being an RPG creator. In light of that I have to question why not McFarland?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 25, 2017

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Lightning Lord posted:

Other scumbags have been banned for this kind of thing before. For example, Duck Call Lass was revealed as a harasser and got turfed from the community despite being an RPG creator. In light of that I have to question why not McFarland?

It was a long drat time before Duck Call Lass -- formerly Kynn, which is how she was known in other online circles -- was finally banned from rpg.net, and it only happened when her aggressive "you are not progressive enough for my exacting liking so I will use that to attack you" antics finally got to be too much to bear. Her history as a rapist was well known in said other online circles (I was there) before she popped up on rpg.net -- which looked to be, from my point of view, blatant looking for greener pastures after explosions elsewhere -- and involved circling the wagons, and any attempt to point out this on rpg.net was squashed and squashed harshly because ... look, a bunny!

So, yeah, there's a certain continuing trend to be found there, it seems.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LuiCypher posted:

Third, and I can't emphasize this enough, you stop looking sympathetic towards alleged child rapists.

:agreed:

I'd add that taking punitive action against people for revisiting (extremely valid) criticism of Beast in light of current events makes moderators look downright supportive of him.

Not only is he left uncensured, but you're punishing people for discussing the problems of his victimization based fantasy game? It absolutely looks like your taking a side, and not the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And trying to defend those bannings by saying that books are collaborative works, and therefore any criticism of them is a group attack, is a ludicrously weak defense. You might as well ban all discussion of music and movies as well, and any product that was not produced, edited, and published by a single individual.

• Locked thread