Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

evobatman posted:

Where the gently caress do you live, and what bank is this?

Probably Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

evobatman posted:

The nominal interest rate is mostly meaningless without knowing the rate of inflation.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

hahahaha Jesus. Jesus Christ.

Printer just got here and 80% through the very first example print provided by the manufacturer, the unit fries out and one of the axis fails.

Which one is it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

New Zealand and most savings accounts pay 2.75% to 4.4% depending on the bank and the credit rating. Mortgages suck though with 5% to 7% interest rates.

Cicero posted:

The nominal interest rate is mostly meaningless without knowing the rate of inflation.

Inflation is officially 0.8% according to the Reserve Bank but is looking like going deflationary some time over the next year or two before they'll look at adjusting the OCR.

You could also get some 4 year bonds from the Government for 3.5% if that gets you off. They're only AA+ rated though.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 4, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

NancyPants posted:

Which one is it?

Ultimaker 2

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Devian666 posted:

They weren't when I looked. If only they used a forum type format instead of upvoting pushing the lovely responses to the surface first.

This is why I can't read Reddit threads. It's not a conversation, it's like a bunch of up-voted comments with little mini bickering fights underneath them.

Devian666 posted:

New Zealand and most savings accounts pay 2.75% to 4.4% depending on the bank and the credit rating. Mortgages suck though with 5% to 7% interest rates.

Inflation is officially 0.8% according to the Reserve Bank but is looking like going deflationary some time over the next year or two before they'll look at adjusting the OCR.

You could also get some 4 year bonds from the Government for 3.5% if that gets you off. They're only AA+ rated though.

Savings accounts with 4% yields and inflation under 1% sounds like a great way to have everyone leave their money in the bank, driving down demand until prices begin to fall, and eventually you're in a recession/depression. I don't think I've ever heard of an insured (I'm assuming) demand deposit account yielding 3% more than inflation.

Then again, your toilets flush the wrong way, so who knows.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
We have a weird situation where our largest city has crazy property prices that are probably 25% too high. Plus there is a lot of investment and real economic growth there. However the remainder of the country could do with an interest rate cut to get a boost of additional money. If the Reserve Bank cuts rates Auckland will go into a full blown property bubble, if they increase rates the Auckland bubble will settle down but the rest of the country will suffer.

While we're heading towards 0% inflation we have actual economic growth. We temporarily have everything backwards.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Blackjack2000 posted:

This is why I can't read Reddit threads. It's not a conversation, it's like a bunch of up-voted comments with little mini bickering fights underneath them.

Savings accounts with 4% yields and inflation under 1% sounds like a great way to have everyone leave their money in the bank, driving down demand until prices begin to fall, and eventually you're in a recession/depression. I don't think I've ever heard of an insured (I'm assuming) demand deposit account yielding 3% more than inflation.

I honestly want to make a reddit plugin that will allow you to pick how many levels past the OP you are shown just for how much idiotic karma whoring and random stupidity is in reddit threads. Usually the responses directly to the OP can be counted on to be on-topic, but holy poo poo, by level 3 it's like a demonstration of 1/2 of the population is under the average intelligence line.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Blackjack2000 posted:

High rates could be high real growth or lack of liquidity. If it's pack of liquidity, they should probably print some drat money and bump inflation a little to stabilize the rate. If it's real growth, money saved is being taken out via loans (probably on crazy housing construction) and all is fine, probably. Prices shouldn't fall so long as the loan market is in sync with the savings rate.

Py=MV, mothafuckas

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

You can find some pretty :psyduck: situations if you browse around gofundme:

Ashley posted:

My name is Ashley. I am currently going to school for photography. I've always been one to follow my dreams. I've had this dream of going to Greece once I graduate. I have a dream job of traveling the world and taking pictures. Greece would just be the starting point in my career. I'd want to live in Greece for a few months. I want to learn the culture, visit the islands, speak their language (or what I can learn of it in a few months), and have the time of my life while I'm there. I could give you a whole shpeel about myself and different ways to sweet talk you, but the truth is, once I graduate I'll be something like 60k in debt from a 3 year photography program from a school who doesn't really care about education, from photography teachers who can't use a Nikon and tell you to go rent a Canon, and sacrificing my time, gas, and money for a school that is an hour and a half away, spending 12 hours a day, twice a week, for an education I probably could've learned off of YouTube. But you know what? No one gets anywhere now days unless you have some type of pretty dressed up fancy looking piece of paper that says "degree" on it. Am I right? Your help is greatly appreciated in so many shapes and forms. I am greatly appreciative of those who have helped me out already. Thank you everyone.

She only received ~$1,000 of her $15,000 ask.

(vvvv This was pretty cute though)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

How much you want to bet almost no real photography job she looks at cares if she has a pretty piece of paper, and is far more interested in her portfolio?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pig slut lisa posted:

Well, technically, I suppose she is right in thinking that a degree provides a lot of signalling value to employers. But not for one in photography, and not for a college that is unaccredited(?).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SMBC had a comic a few days back on couples and their spending habits.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pig slut lisa posted:

gently caress it, that's still $1000 bucks. If I want to go on vacation, I'm paying for the whole thing like a sucker.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

That is either adorable or a sick burn. Actually, I don't see why it can't be both.

Photography degrees tend to be bad with money because as another poster said, your portfolio does most of the talking for you. They can be great for networking if you're at a good school, although those tend to be spendy.

The fact that she claims she's just doing it to check the "I have a degree" box is what puts it over the top: jesus christ you idiot, at least get a degree in business or something else that would be 1) helpful to your photography, which you could be doing on the side and 2) also be a decent fallback if that doesn't pan out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bad with money: my roommate in college got a photography degree at Purdue and now works registers for a living with 3 kids in section 8 housing... 12 years after college

And now I feel old realizing it has been that long.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MJBuddy posted:

High rates could be high real growth or lack of liquidity. If it's pack of liquidity, they should probably print some drat money and bump inflation a little to stabilize the rate. If it's real growth, money saved is being taken out via loans (probably on crazy housing construction) and all is fine, probably. Prices shouldn't fall so long as the loan market is in sync with the savings rate.

Py=MV, mothafuckas

It's high real growth. Housing prices aren't slowing down are there is a shortage. More people are forced to save rather than buy as banks are only allowed up to 10% of the mortgage book as >80% LVR which to play it safe most banks only have 5% >80% LVR mortgages on the books. There's no shortage of liquidity.

There is some real inflation hidden behind the CPI manipulation as well.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here is a pretty bog standard "help I spend all my money and don't save anything" offering from reddit. It's not really notable except for this reply:

Bonus: that dude's comment history is absolutely full of gems

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Here is a pretty bog standard "help I spend all my money and don't save anything" offering from reddit. It's not really notable except for this reply:

Bonus: that dude's comment history is absolutely full of gems

This incisive treatise is worth highlighting:

quote:

After traveling the world and screwing my fair share of normal women and prostitutes, plus observing lady boys. I have come to the conclusion that being a whore is pretty much common place among women.

Women seem to naturally 'Whore up', using makeup and various clothings to enhance and expose their genitalia, so to attract a good mate to pay their way. Most likely because they know that they need to have somebody to look after them when they have their baby.

Women get frightfully angry when they are asked if they are a ladyboy. And by the way you honestly must ask in this day and age. But the reason they get angry is because it highlights the whore persona that they are putting on. Even though they want to deny it subconsciously.

Men are completely oblivious to this game and only see a sexually attractive young woman and all they want to do is drool and blow their load into her hot wet and warm vagina.

Women end up hating men because they feel that he is sex mad and clueless. Which is true, but she fails to see her whore image staring back at her self covered in whore paint.

Men will often lose interest after conquering the goal between her legs. Then it starts to fall apart when both parties start to realize they are now living with someone who annoys the poo poo out of them.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thesaurus posted:

Great, now I need another shower. Gross.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

Lovely. It's really difficult to pick a favorite line.

Ok, so my mother-in-law hosted Easter dinner.
    3 whole hams (30lbs-ish eyeballing it)
    6 gallons of "7-layer salad" - served in a storage
    3 different versions of 7-layer dip, which together added up to about a gallon
    1 gallon of potato salad
    3 dozen deviled eggs
    And a dessert pot-luck of about 4-5 cakes and pies with a smattering of cupcakes and candy

There were about 16 adults and about 4 small kids. That's honestly more people than she expected. She likes to send food home with everybody because her family establishes social status by giving stuff away. Food's a great way to score points because if people don't accept it then they're wasting food.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

On the other hand, she maybe also likes to make sure her family is fed well?

I look forward to holidays for this reason. Home cooked food, that I didn't have to make. It's wonderful. Bring tupperware, pack it with things that will reheat well or are served cold. Good with money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Home cooked food is good with money even in larger quantities, to be honest. 30 pounds of ham at, oh, a couple dollars a pound, and can the rest really cost more than that? 120 dollars for 20 people is $6 a person, doing lovely eyeballing. More expensive with more expensive meat, of course, but that's pretty good.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Well ya, the meal was cheap per calorie/macronutrient. But the quantities were probably at least four times more than necessary. That's easily twice as expensive as the most generous hosting guideline of "just double it" would be. And she didn't ask ahead of time if I anybody wanted to take any home. Basically, she could have accomplished all of her goals at less half the cost, including sending food home with anybody who wanted it. Despite my herculean efforts to the contrary, a lot of that food is going to rot.

But yes, in the end, we're only talking about a couple hundred bucks max, on this meal. The issue doesn't show up until you see it in every financial interaction that family has. It's like watching two guys fight over who's more generous by paying for dinner, except that they both end up paying and they still only get the one dinner. My complaint is in context of already being sensitized to that interaction, and you guys can't see it. Sorry, it takes a lot of the fun out of the story.

Folly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 6, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
One thing I've learned in my relatively short time in the professional world is that buying food/giving food is very, very, very good with money. I've been shocked by how much goodwill a $20 lunch generates.

But gently caress family, though. Freeloaders!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Folly posted:

Well ya, the meal was cheap per calorie/macronutrient. But the quantities were probably at least four times more than necessary. That's easily twice as expensive as the most generous hosting guideline of "just double it" would be. And she didn't ask ahead of time if I anybody wanted to take any home. Basically, she could have accomplished all of her goals at less half the cost, including sending food home with anybody who wanted it. Despite my herculean efforts to the contrary, a lot of that food is going to rot.

But yes, in the end, we're only talking about a couple hundred bucks max, on this meal. The issue doesn't show up until you see it in every financial interaction that family has. It's like watching two guys fight over who's more generous by paying for dinner, except that they both end up paying and they still only get the one dinner. My complaint is in context of already being sensitized to that interaction, and you guys can't see it. Sorry, it takes a lot of the fun out of the story.

Well as long as she's maxed out her Roth IRA, wears sensible shoes, and drives a used car worth $2500 or less I'm willing to let her push the $6/person envelope on Easter dinner for 20 people

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well as long as she's maxed out her Roth IRA, wears sensible shoes, and drives a used car worth $2500 or less I'm willing to let her push the $6/person envelope on Easter dinner for 20 people

Reminds me of this (NSFW language or whatever):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWKrncseUw8

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Going to a big home-cooked family holiday meal, and not bringing a bunch of empty tupperware, is Bad With Money.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

There was a reddit or the other day who took out 160k in private loans for an art degree. He was trying to make the argument that by choosing to default on the loan he was being altruistic (actual word used).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Phrasing posted:

There was a reddit or the other day who took out 160k in private loans for an art degree. He was trying to make the argument that by choosing to default on the loan he was being altruistic (actual word used).

It's opposite day today. Especially given that he must have spent money on a lot of consumer bullshit to end up owing that much.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

It's opposite day today. Especially given that he must have spent money on a lot of consumer bullshit to end up owing that much.

Haha you are not familiar with the American university system are you? Current tuition - no living expenses whatsoever and no accounting for constantly increasing tuition and fees - can easily exceed $160k for a four year liberal arts degree at American private schools.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 6, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haha you are not familiar with the American university system are you? Current tuition - no living expenses whatsoever and no accounting for constantly increasing tuition and fees - can easily exceed $160k for a four year liberal arts degree at American private schools.

Then students in the US are completely hosed. That's your future house gone as well as any chance of not being a debt slave for a social studies degree. With a choice between reverse mortgaging your life or becoming rich by being a plumber the choice is easy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Devian666 posted:

Then students in the US are completely hosed. That's your future house gone as well as any chance of not being a debt slave for a social studies degree. With a choice between reverse mortgaging your life or becoming rich by being a plumber the choice is easy.

Oh it's completely hosed all right. It's not such an easy choice though when the only narrative out there is "go to college to get a good job", and the trades are looked down upon as poo poo work for dumb people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the trades aren't exactly a quick path to wealth either, yes it is a better option than getting a 160k art degree and then entering a trade anyway, but there's a lot of "grass is greener" thinking among people who suggest it

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Didn't that guy go to one of those scammy for-proft Art Institutes (or was that a different Reddit trainwreck)?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Devian666 posted:

Actually it's very difficult to become a union plumber these days as the journeyman positions are insanely competitive. You also need to deal with the kind of folks who became plumbers in the days when you could get a great job with any college degree, so there's that.

Your knowledge of American union employment and education seems limited.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Powerlurker posted:

Didn't that guy go to one of those scammy for-proft Art Institutes (or was that a different Reddit trainwreck)?

I went to one of those to the tune of about $80k. My wife and I both had parents willing to cashflow it, otherwise we wouldn't have probably gone. Looking back that is actually somehow a worse reason to go, but you couldn't tell 20yo me much of anything.

I am making 60k a year now and both sets of parents are fine financially so it's all good I guess.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Going to a big home-cooked family holiday meal, and not bringing a bunch of empty tupperware, is Bad With Money.

Even better with money is borrowing a bunch of tupperware from your family that you never return.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I've had those schools contact me and try to work in an internship program where their students receive "real work experience" for no pay. What they're really trying to do is say that they have connections and that their students work with X studio, so they can package that as a pitch to doe-eyed teenagers and prey on their dreams.

No thanks. In my current job, we have only one unpaid internship and we genuinely hired out of it. Because paying people for their work isn't actually some incredible good-- it's baseline minimum level for dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Radbot posted:

You also need to deal with the kind of folks who became plumbers in the days when you could get a great job with any college degree, so there's that.

I cannot emphasize this enough, the trades are full of retards. They are remarkably anti-intellectual, they do not care in the slightest about you and you will be harassed/bullied into doing things that are clearly unsafe and undoubtedly illegal. Don't like it? Quit. Son or nephew of a guy I hate for no apparent reason? I'll make you quit. There are good guys/crews of course, but best of luck finding them.

Or you could go ahead and take career advice from Mike Rowe, a theater major when spends about a single day with blue collar workers on their best behavior.

• Locked thread