Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just use wabbajack instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Average Bear posted:

Just use wabbajack instead.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Every modlist on Wabbajack sucks atm though. Every one of them has something wrong with them. Living Skyrim has booba and pervert mods, low quality quests/dialogue (Falskaar lmao), and generally broken poo poo like a window floating in the middle of the hallway of the LotD Safehouse hallway.

The Phoenix Flavor variants all have Simonrim, which I don't understand why anyone would prefer that over Enairim. Vanilla is not a model to replicate. It's there to be replaced. It also lacks a good aesthetic. And most damningly, it uses the worst alternate start choice possible: skipping the intro cutscene but still using the vanilla intro.

The others are either simply graphical revamps or "Skyrim: Survival Dark Souls But Tedious and Bad". Tinvaak looks good but I haven't tried it. Khajiit players are always sus, so there will probably be horny mods in there for some reason.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Average Bear posted:

Every modlist on Wabbajack sucks atm though. Every one of them has something wrong with them. Living Skyrim has booba and pervert mods, low quality quests/dialogue (Falskaar lmao), and generally broken poo poo like a window floating in the middle of the hallway of the LotD Safehouse hallway.

The Phoenix Flavor variants all have Simonrim, which I don't understand why anyone would prefer that over Enairim. Vanilla is not a model to replicate. It's there to be replaced. It also lacks a good aesthetic. And most damningly, it uses the worst alternate start choice possible: skipping the intro cutscene but still using the vanilla intro.

The others are either simply graphical revamps or "Skyrim: Survival Dark Souls But Tedious and Bad". Tinvaak looks good but I haven't tried it. Khajiit players are always sus, so there will probably be horny mods in there for some reason.

wait, what perv mods does LS have?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

wait, what perv mods does LS have?

I've put 200 hours into it and I'm curious too.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I went somewhere that had NPCs in the diabella robes with they nipples and pussies hanging out. I haven't gotten far but seeing that was enough. It was some sort of tavern where no one has dialogue lines.

It still seems like the best potential mod list to prune and add to. I tried to add a quest mod thinking it was safe, but when I loaded my save I was naked and my dog was invisible.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Also this is the coolest thing I've seen today: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58489?tab=description

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Average Bear posted:

I went somewhere that had NPCs in the diabella robes with they nipples and pussies hanging out. I haven't gotten far but seeing that was enough. It was some sort of tavern where no one has dialogue lines.

It still seems like the best potential mod list to prune and add to. I tried to add a quest mod thinking it was safe, but when I loaded my save I was naked and my dog was invisible.

I’ve been playing 3.5 for a bit and haven’t seen anything like that. A couple of the npcs have a serious case of anime face but everyone has their clothes. I did find prostitutes in one corner of Riften but they’re dressed, it’s literally “pay 20g, fade to black, nothing else happens”. They also made a big deal on their site and discord about how they’ve got some “nevernude” mode installed, so the naked ladies you saw may have been something that snuck past them in a previous release.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
not only that but the maintainer has went out of his way to make sure that even at the base mesh level every pc and npc is wearing underwear - if there is something like that then it's a bug that can be reported to him and it will be removed

i also put about 200ish hours in 3.5 of LS3 and saw nothing like that

e: i dug around in the discord because i was curious about this and apparently the switch to full SFW came in the transition from LS2 to LS3, they really want the modpack to be SFW and streamable, they had one issue with a custom follower NPC showing up nude post loading in LS3 version 3.2 or so and it was immediately hotfixed when reported, no issues reported since then and TONS of horny nerds begging to be able to turn nude mode back on, which is not supported and would require regenerating all of the body meshes to do - so you should be in the clear!

Mad Wack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 21, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

:aaaaa:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Can someone explain what this means in terms understandable to someone with such low brain power they probably wouldn't be able to cast spells with this can understand?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

amazing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Can someone explain what this means in terms understandable to someone with such low brain power they probably wouldn't be able to cast spells with this can understand?
The description page, and the author's posts in the comment section do a poo poo job of explaining it.

The idea is that you wear that muse doohickey which is an EEG device. And connect that to your PC that runs his mod. When the algorithm interprets the measured brainwave activity as you being unfocused, tired, etc, you'll do low magic damage. When the algorithm interprets the measurements as you being focused, calm, collected, etc, you'll do lots of magic damage.
Basically be all "zen" if you want to be a mage with that mod.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I was hoping it autocast spells based on your EEG readings, not just modified their strength.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

skysa is so cool

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I played Skyrim ages ago and am feeling tempted to dip back in. I dont know how heavy I want to go on mods since it's been so long since I played and I feel like there was plenty I didn't experience, but I guess I'm kind of looking for some mod recommendations that target a vanilla+ with QoL and maybe some extra touches, particularly something to make pew pew magic a bit more interesting? (So that I do not just fall back into playing sneaky archer) Augh, just looking at the recommendations in the OP makes it so easy to feel like I can just get carried away figuring I should get more like combat and skill revamps.

That Living Skyrim thing seems sort of tempting if only because it sounds like it will give me a bunch of stuff and remove any of the thinking and work on my part, but some of the stuff I'm seeing scrolling the description sound a bit funky (xp only on quests and completing dungeons, magic takes time to learn?)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

SPERG is good. all you really need are that and game fixes of some kind and you'll be set.

If I were in your shoes and seriously trying to avoid the stealth archer trap I would use Thunderchild and Wintersun. They're not vanilla, but they're also not insanely immersion-breaking to the degree that a lot of other mods are. And there is no way in hell you would want to be a stealth archer dork when you can just shout at people a lot. Wintersun adds god worship, which may not be your thing but it a) buffs out a layer of your character that you might not even think about and has Talos worship which lets you you shout a thousand times in a thousand thousand ways.

but that's just my opinion so yeah maybe just stick with SPERG. You can get an immortal dog/sabrecat/baby mammoth/walrus thing to follow you around and sell your stuff. You can also get perks that make torches useful, and you can't stealth arch when you have a torch in your hand :eng101:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If you are doing a magic overhaul mod you might want to look into an enchanting mod as well, because in Vanilla Skyrim there’s no damage increase% enchants for destruction which causes it to scale horribly for the player.
Most people use Summermyst (including me) but I’ve heard good things about another one called Thautomology or some magic word like that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've been using Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim for some new spells, though Odin seems to be pretty popular right now. Apocalypse adds several D&D themed spells to the pool like Slay Living and Circle of Death for Restoration which is pretty rad.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you are doing a magic overhaul mod you might want to look into an enchanting mod as well, because in Vanilla Skyrim there’s no damage increase% enchants for destruction which causes it to scale horribly for the player.
Most people use Summermyst (including me) but I’ve heard good things about another one called Thautomology or some magic word like that.

Alchemy works too imo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I assume I'll need normal Skyrim (not SE, it sounds like modding around that is kinda borked cause of AE?), Mod Organizer, then it sounds like SKSE is essential, but I'm a little unclear on the state of other bug fixes and must-have patches.
SkyUI seems a must for convenience, but also cause SPERG needs it. (I also see I need the uncapper for SPERG)
If I'm getting SPERG, will a magic overhaul still work?
Then an enchanting mod (summermyst) sounds like a good idea too.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Alchemy works too imo.
Is this a mod name, or just saying you can use alchemy to buff destruction? :v: (or a suggestion to grab an alchemy mod?)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SE is still far better and more stable than the original game, you should absolutely be using it. That said, due to the recent update, you might just want to use the Downgrader to go back to version 1.5.97.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oxyclean posted:

So I assume I'll need normal Skyrim (not SE, it sounds like modding around that is kinda borked cause of AE?), Mod Organizer, then it sounds like SKSE is essential, but I'm a little unclear on the state of other bug fixes and must-have patches.
SkyUI seems a must for convenience, but also cause SPERG needs it. (I also see I need the uncapper for SPERG)

Is this a mod name, or just saying you can use alchemy to buff destruction? :v: (or a suggestion to grab an alchemy mod?)

either/or. I think SPERG also has things that either buff magic damage or buff potion/poison duration. I don't think I even have Alchemy mods outside the perk trees that come with SPERG, come to think of it. If I did have an alchemy mod it would make it so torchbug thoraxes and butterfly wings and other chillbug ingredients were replaced by idk butterfly kisses and dusty moth footprints and glowing torchbug smooches or something and wouldn't kill them when I harvest them. I can only ever buy those things because UGH with killing those guys.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The LE holdouts in 2021/2022 are usually people who don't want to redo their mod order or their hardware can't support SE. SE/AE is more stable and allows more than 255 plugins thanks to ESL flagging, but is more demanding on hardware.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Renaming the reagents gathered to "smooches" would certainly make that one mod that turns butterflies into big tiddy faeries significantly less horrific. Well, sorta.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gyoru posted:

The LE holdouts in 2021/2022 are usually people who don't want to redo their mod order or their hardware can't support SE. SE/AE is more stable and allows more than 255 plugins thanks to ESL flagging, but is more demanding on hardware.

Is it? It runs much better on my 6 year old system than LE ever did.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

So I played Skyrim ages ago and am feeling tempted to dip back in. I dont know how heavy I want to go on mods since it's been so long since I played and I feel like there was plenty I didn't experience, but I guess I'm kind of looking for some mod recommendations that target a vanilla+ with QoL and maybe some extra touches, particularly something to make pew pew magic a bit more interesting? (So that I do not just fall back into playing sneaky archer) Augh, just looking at the recommendations in the OP makes it so easy to feel like I can just get carried away figuring I should get more like combat and skill revamps.

That Living Skyrim thing seems sort of tempting if only because it sounds like it will give me a bunch of stuff and remove any of the thinking and work on my part, but some of the stuff I'm seeing scrolling the description sound a bit funky (xp only on quests and completing dungeons, magic takes time to learn?)

I actually really like the Experience mod, and I thought I was going to hate it. It's probably frustrating for folks that like to level grind, but it never felt like levels were terribly slow in coming, and it was actually a pleasant surprise when they did, rather than my having to keep track of what skills I'd raised all the time. I though the cap on skill gain based on level would also be something I would want to raise, but I never really felt the need.

Edit: honestly, it felt like I leveled a little too fast, but I haven't really looked into what Lexy's preset is. I might cut the xp gain down on my next game.

Edit edit: actually, a bit more of an explanation:

Quests give xp, the more important/difficult the quest, the more xp you get, so Main Quests and big faction quests give large chunks, but wandering around doing radiant quests will give it too (so mods like Missives contribute). It's optional, but you can get a small amount of xp from killing things. You also get XP from discovering places, and oh boy are there a lot of those. There's a mod that adds some xp for reading books, etc.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2021

zhar
May 3, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

I used this list as a base. It uses simon magus overhaul mods (simonrim) which is regarded as being vanilla+ afaik (see earlier in the page someone complaining about it being too vanilla) but you can see the goals on that intro page.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How does this look? Any obvious QoL/bugfix stuff I should grab? Just generally good overhauls to consider grabbing? I'm leaning towards being magic focused so I made sure to get stuff for that, but I'm wondering if a general melee/combat overhaul might still be a good idea. I mostly just want to avoid stuff that's gonna be confusing/hard/lost to someone who hasn't played Skyrim in forever.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

looks like a pretty solid list imo.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Is it? It runs much better on my 6 year old system than LE ever did.

SE is more demanding but by very little. It's like saying instead of a 10 year old PC for LE, you need a 9 year old PC for SE.

Edit:
Actually a better comparison would be LE could be run on junk hardware at the time if you turned everything down. You need a computer actually from the 21st Century to run SE.

nessin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 22, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oxyclean posted:

Most of the big magic overhauls have patches so SPERG perks will work on the spells they add. So you'd need SPERG, the magic overhaul, then the patch

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

I'm wondering if a general melee/combat overhaul might still be a good idea.

There's no such thing as a melee or combat overhaul that's any good.

Not being snarky, but they're all either tedious, jank, or unfun. Mostly 3/3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

How does this look? Any obvious QoL/bugfix stuff I should grab? Just generally good overhauls to consider grabbing? I'm leaning towards being magic focused so I made sure to get stuff for that, but I'm wondering if a general melee/combat overhaul might still be a good idea. I mostly just want to avoid stuff that's gonna be confusing/hard/lost to someone who hasn't played Skyrim in forever.

Didn't see this post first. The files page for Apocalypse has a SPERG patch you'll want, you might already have downloaded and I just can't tell because I know when you download two files from the same nexus page, it tends to merge the mods into the same select thing, but I want to double check you got it. and I think SPERG should be ahead of Apocalypse in load order, but I'm not sure that actually matters.

Edit: I might throw in Zim's artifacts, I'm pretty sure it's compatible with with everything you got right out of the box and gets rid of leveled artifacts and makes the useless ones more interesting.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/9138

Double edit: I guess there's a SPERG patch built into the Apocalypse installer now, I first wrote that thinking you were using Oldrim.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 22, 2021

Burns
May 10, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's no such thing as a melee or combat overhaul that's any good.

Not being snarky, but they're all either tedious, jank, or unfun. Mostly 3/3.

Or try to make Skyrim into Dark Souls or some other game it was never meant to be.

I completely share your sentiment.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like Attack behavior revamp.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I've been enjoying Engarde + True Directional Movement (along with I think some animation replacers? whatever Aldrnari has) quite a bit. It probably fits into the "like Dark Souls" category, but I've never played Dark Souls so I can't compare.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
SkySA and True Directional Movement are a fun combo that don't try too hard to emulate Dark Souls. It's a fun way to play in third person especially if you haven't played in a while

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I did another thing: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58903

This uses SPID to distribute some gear from Beyond Skyrim - Bruma to your normal Skyrim bandits... but in a way that doesn't touch any records at all. I kept the spawn rate very low (1%) so that you will see the gear periodically, but it will be outside the norm. I've been using it for a while now and it works fine. Cyrodiil gear is rare, but it happens.

Meanwhile, Bloodchill Manor (from the AE CC content) is... hilariously low-effort. The design is relatively mundane (it's essentially a straight corridor with some antechambers of varying quality), the quest is barebones, and, very loving strangely for a vampire-themed home, it doesn't even have thralls for you to feed on.

It also has a conflict with one of my mods (I think it's the Ice Claws mod that places custom shrooms around the map that permanently increase carry capacity by 1 when you eat them). That buries the entrance to Bloodchill Manor in the ground, making it unreachable outside of the console. That said... I don't think I'm going back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I too have kinda gotten back into skyrim lately with AE after not playing since, uh, release. On the PS3, where after god knows how many hours my save bloat consumed the playthrough, :laffo: I'm not too terribly concerned about going all out on modding everything but I was kinda wondering if there were a handful of specific things that might be solvable with some AE-compatible mods.

Mainly I'm looking for a means to make movement a bit better/faster/smoother, maybe adding skills not unlike the acrobatics from older games (or to enable stuff like to be able to jump while sprinting, on odd footing, etc), something to make dual wielding a little less clunky, and maybe something for inventory management because I really forgot how clunky looking for stuff i have on me felt. Oh, and while I know that levelled items aren't really quite as much of a thing as they were in oblivion, maybe something that, if I throw some cash into an item, I can 'reset' its level to scale closer to what I currently am?

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 23, 2021