Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
An excellent argument against TV news in general by...an old guy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

"Doe, John H. "Is your pet rock suffering from depression?" The Kikakee Times. 27 Jan. 2016. A3. Print."

"Doe, John H. "Is your pet rock suffering from depression?" The Kikakee Times. 27 Jan. 2016. A3. Web. 6 Mar 2017"

"The Depressed Rock. Bedrock Tales. UPN, Chicago, 4 Apr. 2017"

The preceding suggestions are offered as a public service to America's affirmative-action political cartoonists to help avoid this...

:tinsley: : *GOOGLE IT.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I'm struggling to keep up with all the stuff going on; did Susan Rice actually do something illegal in her actions towards the White House or what?
They're flipping out about it because it provides a nice distraction about what exactly is being dug up.

Keep in mind this is the same party that, nearly a year ago, said a leak's source doesn't matter. They're a pack of liars who will do anything for power or to save their asses. It's best to just assume they're full of poo poo by default., and then look at real news stories to see what it is they're trying to cover up.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

It's people like Ramirez that make me hope against hope that God IS real, and there IS an afterlife, and there IS a heaven as popular culture depicts it, just so I could die happy knowing shitwads like him would indeed be cast into the lake of fire to suffer torment everlasting.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

DallaDalla posted:

and lastly omg I hate it - THE BIBLE DOESN'T SAY THEY BUILT PYRAMIDS. Exodus 1:11 "So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh." They built cities. The pyramids are irrelevant.

B-b-b-but blood makes poor mortar! Charleton Heston Moses said so!:jewish:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DallaDalla posted:

There was no mention of an Israeli subgroup or tribe until the time of Ramses II's successor, Merneptah, circa 1225 BC. They looooved to ritually and artistically depict their conquered enemies, and they have nothing to list for them until then, which would be strange given that we have fairly detailed records from ~ 1350 BC onward thanks to the Armana letters, as well as duplicate records from places like Hattusas and Ebla.

Pyramids were built through forced corvee labor, which pulled agricultural workers out of their districts for 3-4 months a year after the crops were planted but before the harvest. There are records of how corvee labor was used from different eras of Egyptian history.

Most impactful for me, however, was the absence of the word 'slave' until the Persian conquest circa 700BC. Until that time, forced labor was used for prisoners of war, however, they were not property, nor were their progeny. They were owed labor to the state/their employer for a certain period as a result of being captured or exchanged after the war as part of the booty or treaty. After their labor contract was finished, they were free citizens, allowed to leave or become full Egyptian citizens.

So I guess the quibbles some have are semantic, but it's strange that the Egyptians wouldn't mention a) the tribe they conquered and b) never describe the events of the Exodus (as they recorded everything else, good and bad).

There's a certain rationality to both if that period of slavery ended with a horrifying bout of plagues that brought the country to its knees. A proud people would not depict the worst moment of their own history.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
These days pretty much every Tinsley comic could just be replaced by Dana Carvey's old man character screaming "I'M OLD AND I'M NOT HAPPY!!"

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Fulchrum posted:

There's a certain rationality to both if that period of slavery ended with a horrifying bout of plagues that brought the country to its knees. A proud people would not depict the worst moment of their own history.

They did, it was called the Hyksos.

Besides you don't get all this death and destruction without something, some evidence of mass famines or deaths of firstborn children.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fulchrum posted:

Their enemies would have gleefully documented this poo poo. There's wars between Egypt and Assyria where we only have only a vague inkling of what happened because both sides ended up claiming a win. Egypt wasn't a vacuum by the late bronze age.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

These days pretty much every Tinsley comic could just be replaced by Dana Carvey's old man character screaming "I'M OLD AND I'M NOT HAPPY!!"

Dana Carvey is actually funny tho

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Donald Trump’s missile strikes against Syria – US president ordered bombing of airbase in retaliation for chemical weapons attack blamed on Bashar al-Assad regime"

Telegraph:

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Dugout Doug almost got us into WW3. It's actually a lot easier to maintain your honor and love for your country when you've been blown into a radioactive vapor, doncha know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAsGuWmXLVw

SSNeoman posted:

Wow. Two of those Bok opinions aren't complete poo poo. Crazy times.

Well, one of them, at least.

Obama never had a war on coal, and if natural gas is so much better (and cleaner!), why bother with coal at all? Also, under Obama, both crude oil and natural gas production rose dramatically, so why does Bok think he was fighting them?

Democrats were going to lose the filibuster the first time they used it, so why cry over spilt milk? For all their crocodile tears, Republicans took a whopping 47 minutes from the first cloture vote failure to get rid of it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Dana Carvey is actually funny tho

DallaDalla
Jan 24, 2006
HollaHolla!

Fulchrum posted:

They absolutely recorded EVERYTHING they could; they might mythologize it, but it would be there. As was mentioned earlier, the conflict of power between the Semitic-derived monarchy in the north at Avaris, (the heretofore mentioned "Hyksos", which was not their name but the name the Egyptians later gave them to disparage them) was recorded from the winner's perspective, but historians can easily see this as a simple power struggle between elites in the more multicultural and cosmopolitan north vs. the more fundamentalist and nativist south at Thebes.

Also, plagues? C'mon now. Frogs falling from the sky? Darkness? The Nile turning to blood? All clearly metaphors for inclement weather. It's possible that a bad harvest made some people leave in hopes of better farming elsewhere, but the Exodus is an insane narrative.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wow thats actually really deep that the poster implies that Pistachio is one of his disguises instead of being the main character

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gotta wonder if they actually know that the air strike did jack poo poo or not.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wow thats actually really deep that the poster implies that Pistachio is one of his disguises instead of being the main character

Wait... You didn't know that movie is actually a Dana Carvey biopic?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

Gotta wonder if they actually know that the air strike did jack poo poo or not.

they don't care

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

1000 faces...but none of them are his

it's tragic

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Whoah, whoah, whoah there, Buster...

Who allowed the proper use of crosshatching in here? Get Ramirez out here to show him how it's done.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

MrUnderbridge posted:

Whoah, whoah, whoah there, Buster...

Who allowed the proper use of crosshatching in here? Get Ramirez out here to show him how it's done.

You're just too uncultured to appreciate Ramirez's genius style of leaving giant white halos around every character so that they don't get lost in the garbled, endlessly crosshatched background :colbert:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Bonus 2013 McCoy:

Chip Bok posted:

The Syrian leader used nerve gas on his own people. President Trump responded by using 59 cruise missiles on Syria.

An intelligence report says that the North Korean leader used nerve poison on one of his own people too. His brother.

Chip Bok posted:

The Trump/Russian conspiracy theory is dragging. For one thing, no real evidence is being presented. And for another Trump bombed Syria, the ally of his alleged co-conspirator Vladimir Putin.

Meanwhile, there is evidence Team Obama spied on Team Trump. Bloomberg‘s Eli Lake and others broke the story last week. Obama national security adviser Susan Rice purused raw intelligence data on Russians’ conversations with Trump associates. Spying on foreigners is legal but spying on Americans isn’t. When American citizens get caught up in foreign surveillance their names are supposed to be masked in the intelligence report.

Follow the Unmasking

But Susan Rice had American names unmasked. Adam Housley at Fox News reported that she then circulated raw reports with the unmasked names.

quote:

The unmasked names, of people associated with Donald Trump, were then sent to all those at the National Security Council, some at the Defense Department, then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and then-CIA Director John Brennan – essentially, the officials at the top, including former Rice deputy Ben Rhodes.

Somewhere along the line somebody leaked Michael Flynn’s name and he was forced to resign as Trump’s national security adviser. Kimberley Strassel in the Wall Street Journal suggests that FBI Director Comey has a conflict of interest in all this. And that it’s even possible “his staff was among the leakers.”

Andrew McCarthy wrote a column in National Review titled Susan Rice’s Unmasking: a Watergate style scandal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know "AGC" is the running joke of the whole thread and this isn't an original insight by any means, but goddamn, Glenn actually drew this, sat back, and thought "yep, this makes the GOP look like the good guys".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I 100% guarantee Mike Lester was against bombing Syria when Obama wanted to do it.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Pakled posted:

I 100% guarantee Mike Lester was against bombing Syria when Obama wanted to do it.

Koopa Troopa already gave them their excuse. He claims he was against President Obama attacking Syria, but for donald doing it because donald's attack "was better planned and executed".

Christ, I want to see that shitbag die painfully.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Oh no! the Republicans are going to use Gorsuch to destroy the Supreme Court!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is this supposed to be for or against the 'nuclear option'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Emptyquoting this.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chip Bok posted:

The Trump/Russian conspiracy theory is dragging. For one thing, no real evidence is being presented.
Obama national security adviser Susan Rice purused raw intelligence data on Russians’ conversations with Trump associates. 
🤔

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kek

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Trump's missile "strike" hurt Assad about as much as a pesky booger.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Donald Trump founded Skeleton Fraternity. I did NOT see that twist coming. :monocle:

Sandpuppy posted:

Trump's missile "strike" hurt Assad about as much as a pesky booger.

Two-time Pulitzer winner Michael "angelo" Ramiriz adds an awkward bolt to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's neck. "Certainly, this is the most relevant criticism I could add to my depiction of this man", he said, amazed at his own genius. "By adding this single bolt, I will remind people of the famous scene where Frankenstein's Monster got a missile lodged up his nose, which utterly defeated him forever."

:perfect:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

American missile strikes will merely accelerate the release of gas by Assad et al. A good, if bleak, cartoon.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ya gotta give me the yellow demon eyes!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Internet Webguy posted:

Ya gotta give me the yellow demon eyes!

huffing too much poison gas will do that to you

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pakled posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Of course Bagley plays Warhammer.

• Locked thread