Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think it's worth waiting around for an extra GCD most of the time. Sure, you will almost certainly lose at least one enemy to the DPS, but they can take the damage and you will get the enemies back with one GCD once you reach the wall. Plus, that's damage that you aren't taking, so it's basically free health.

It's ultimately a minor time loss, but I prefer to err on the side of caution in random parties. There's some mobs that'll stop to do AoEs during the pull, and the new dungeon especially has a surfeit of gigantic hitbox mobs that can make hitting them all with an AoE challenging, so I think it's better to dither for an extra second and get a second AoE out instead of running the risk that someone catches enough strays and gets clobbered before you can safely wrangle everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If you use legacy movement and auto face you can also just plink mobs with your ranged move while running away from them towards the next pack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Isn't "oh poo poo I missed a guy" what Provoke is for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

girl dick energy posted:

Isn't "oh poo poo I missed a guy" what Provoke is for?

Provoke doesn’t work well in the still-running situation because it only puts you once at the top of the enmity stack, and if others keep doing damage while you aren’t, they’ll quickly peel that one off. I prefer throwing an axe since I can do it every gcd while running as long as I have LoS. (I have Illegal Software that lets me do mouse over targeting on the enemy list, which makes it especially easy in different scenarios.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also as a Tank your ranged attack has increased threat generation and no cooldown, while provoke has a cooldown in addition to what Subjunctive said.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am just so bad at dodging boss attacks that do big windup animations. The ones where you get the orange damage area too quickly to get out of it. I got very used to looking for orange on the ground and the UI elements so every time it happens I have to remind myself it's a thing.

Trusts are great for the first run to learn these, and I get a chuckle when Alisaie just doesn't dodge a big attack. It's annoying to wipe, but at least I'm only wasting my own time.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 13, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Provoke doesn’t work well in the still-running situation because it only puts you once at the top of the enmity stack, and if others keep doing damage while you aren’t, they’ll quickly peel that one off.

Note that this was changed around Shadowbringers' launch: it now puts you at the top of the Enmity table and generates additional Enmity on top of that. You still gotta attack it at some point to keep it stuck to you, but it won't immediately snap back to its previous target if you don't hit it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Vermain posted:

Note that this was changed around Shadowbringers' launch: it now puts you at the top of the Enmity table and generates additional Enmity on top of that. You still gotta attack it at some point to keep it stuck to you, but it won't immediately snap back to its previous target if you don't hit it.

Patch 6.2 also increased the size of the excess enmity it gives, probably because in tank swaps it wasn't unusual to pull agro right back after someone taunts off you with a big crit, especially if shirk was on cd

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I kinda feel like Provoke and Shirk could just be combined into one ability. Make Provoke put you at the top of the list, and then take some of #2's enmity. Admittedly that would remove some of the coordination required in tank swaps, but tbh the game doesn't have a lot of stuff that REQUIRES coordination in that way, so shirk/provoke kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in that aspect imo. It's not like Shirk has any uses aside from tank swaps.

The only use case that this eliminates is if your other tank refuses to swap, you can just dump enmity on them then turn off tank stance and hope for the best.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's not like Shirk has any uses aside from tank swaps.

Trolling hunt trains with a party of 8 tanks all shirking to a single tank to guarantee top aggro and then resetting the mob.

That aside, there is a real use for Shirk in current content. If a tank dies in P7S partway through the fight, they need to get back to 2nd in aggro quickly to stop the secondary auto or potential tankbuster from melting a non-tank. If the healer is busy with other things and can't top them off with an additional healing spell right away, the freshly revived tank can't hit Provoke ASAP or else they'll lose their rez invuln and just get pasted by the auto anyway. The MT shirking to the OT is usually enough of an aggro lead that this will still get the OT to second in aggro and they'll still have their rez immunity to not just die again before the healers can give them an extra heal.

Edit: This applies to all content with double autos or where 2nd aggro matters, but those fights are relatively rare.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Previous Posts:
Part 1: Working through the City-State MSQ and Arcanist Job Quests
Part 2: Side-Quests and Starting off with the Pointy End of the Stick (Beginning Lancer)
Part 3: Saya gets dumped and so heads to the Waking Sands to continue the MSQ

Part 4: Saya does the dumping this time, off a cliff!

New Lancer digs!

Overall starting to get some cool and fashionable gear outside of a few standouts, it's all coming up milhouse :)

In the Lancer guild I see these two having a stand off, they just let anyone into the Lancer guild these days no wonder Foulques is channeling boomer energy. :haw:

This recruit is much more reasonably dressed.

My chill vibes with the newbies gets interrupted by the plot

"Saya you really need to get your boyfriend under control, HE'S MURDERING PEOPLE!"

"LOOK I DON'T HAVE A CHOCOBO YET BECAUSE I KEEP DOING SIDE QUESTS OKAY!? GET OFF MY BACK!"

I like how they're working in some pretty interesting stories, especially into the Job quests, I just wish the cause for Foulques grievance being fantasy elf racism was slightly better telegraphed; like I get the idea that his obsession with "courage" and his grievance with the guild is this messed up idea of "My comrades were cowards" -> "Ergo the guild are cowards" -> "I will get my revenge by showing them what COURAGE REALLY IS!" because up until now my main idea of what was happening was a rather eccentric feud between like a travelling spearman/alumni of the guild who felt like things went to piss in his absence you know? Like up until now I was thinking "His methods are extreme, but maybe he has a point, the guild maybe isn't as challenging as it could be to newbies but Foulques is nigh murderous and most recruits won't survive his trials."

Instead it being he was actually exiled because he and his buds stole from the guild but when he confessed they all scapegoated him feels like a slightly sudden turn, maybe I missed something very subtle in the story up until now, but I think this would've been better if the guildmaster for the Lancer guild was maybe a little more cagey as to the beef between Foulques and the guild, or maybe if we had some interaction with one of his former "comrades" who sold him out who were still bad apples to this day who maybe deserves some sort of punishment for their failings.

But otherwise my complaint is more like it feels like a jump between where we left off with the Boars and here; otherwise this is a pretty good story for what it is. And this is some very :black101: imagery.

"I can fix him" Says Woman who is Worse.

F: "You cannot defeat me for I am the wind!!"

S: "You may be the wind, but I AM A HURRICANE!!!"

*Epic battle ensues in which I struggle to press buttons between trying to take screenshots*

"You can break up with people normally you know, jumping off a cliff is a LITTLE extreme okay?" :mad:

"drat Saya that was cold of you to just push him off a cliff like that, oh yeah, one of the others saw everything and that's what they told everyone... By the way, nothing personal kiddo, but can you go somewhere else? Here, here's a buddy of mine who can teach you instead, no hard feelings? kthxbai."

:geno:

"Yeah sure I can help complete yer training, but we're staying away from cliffs capiche?"

Saya: :argh:

Time to find solace at the only place Saya knows where to find it, at the bottom of a mug of ale. :smith:

And by joining a cult of chuuni weeb edgelords!

I do a quick side quest to catch a road runner.

They also send me out to get bullied and make me cry. :(

I go out and have some epic mage battles:

"Did this Lalafel just bite out this dudes throat!?"

Mood. :smith:

Do they not teach you about "deals with a devil" in Thaumaturge school?

I don't think its a good idea to hold that urn.

Maybe I should do something?

*Whispers under his breath* "I reject my humanity jojo..." :drac:

"What was that?" :crossarms:

"NOTHING!!!" :grin:

*visibly struggling to hold in evil laughter* "Alright jobs done Saya, lets return to my pitiful foolish siblings."

At the hideout, which they insist on calling it, as a compromise as Saya refused to call it a "lair", Saya's like, "Hey I think somethings wrong with your brother"

"HOW DARE YOU AMBUSH ME LIKE THIS! I AM OUT OF HERE I REFUSE! REFUSE YOU HEAR! TO BE CROSS EXAMINED LIKE THIS! I PLEAD THE FIFTH AND I'LL BE GOING! SAYANARA!"

"Look Saya, what I said back there wasn't me, I didn't mean to say that your tail was fat, I hope that we can both be adults about this and you apologize for the things I said. Now over there in that cave I dropped my contact lenses can you go get them for me?"

"Why am I compelled to accept EVERY REQUEST made by EVERYONE I meet!?"

Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

Darkness blacker than black and darker than dark,
I beseech thee, combine with my deep crimson.
The time of awakening cometh.
Justice, fallen upon the infallible boundary,
appear now as an intangible distortions!
I desire for my torrent of power a destructive force:
a destructive force without equal!
Return all creation to cinders,
and come frome the abyss!
Explosion!

*Casts Fire*

Cocobuki: "Your menacing evil aura that paints your soul blacker than the void of the deepest coldest abyss!!!" :supaburn:
Saya: "The weird glowy thingy!" :buddy:

*Jojo posing intensifies*

I got chewed out for letting his brother escape. :sigh:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you like chuuni edgelords you will continue to have a great time with them/blm quests

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god those little popotos are edgelords addicted to ether who can't manage to go five steps without accidentally making a pact with a voidsent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Thaumaturges are great. I like how many of their lessons are just "don't get hit" and "avoid fighting something tougher than you."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The WoL ends up on the wrong side of many fights, but the Miner ARR questline is right up there for the stupidest. Let's go out of our way to help a petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat who has been deliberately endangering workers because his poor feelings were hurt. Sure would be terrible if his reputation were ruined for all the things that he's done.

This is after we go out of our way to get a gift for the petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat's bully son because his feelings were hurt after losing a bet he made.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 14, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't even have to go get the Darksteel ore because I have 80+ chunks in my inventory already, and I'm still mad I finished that quest tbh. Should have walked away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sassassin posted:

The WoL ends up on the wrong side of many fights, but the Miner ARR questline is right up there for the stupidest. Let's go out of our way to help a petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat who has been deliberately endangering workers because his poor feelings were hurt. Sure would be terrible if his reputation were ruined for all the things that he's done.
Correct!

quote:

This is after we go out of our way to get a gift for the petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat's bully son because his feelings were hurt after losing a bet he made.
As someone with a lovely parent, I'm sympathetic to Wide Gulley's attempts to prove he's his own person. He's like Blanstyr but with an actually good reason.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

one of these days we'll get Blanstyr's sad backstory, just you wait

(The WoL might actually be Blanstyr's sad backstory, tbh)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should actually do more armorsmith quests, I finished Blanstyr going out in full plate and failing to kill a squirrel with a hammer, loled heartily, and went to do things I cared about more. I actually like that it seems like they're making an attempt to make him more than the old man yelling at clouds of the guild.

Although the last thing I need at this point is more HW crafting. Thank you, initial goldsmith quest, for wanting loving hardsilver which is three maps deep into MSQ progression. Not to mention carpenter and weaver wanting holy materials, only doable by either spending literally tens of thousands of gil or from a timed node, again three maps deep, that requires flight to reach. I haven't checked MB prices for holy water, but given the general price for other HW crafting mats there's no way it's cheaper than the vendor's mistletoe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It used to be worse. The Idyllshire vendor who sells the HW crafting quest mats only started doing so recently.

HW crafting was hosed up and, like a lot of HW systems and mechanics, they've walked back on it since.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kwyndig posted:

Oh god those little popotos are edgelords addicted to ether

Ain't their fault that someone found a way to make meth-alcohol

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

I should actually do more armorsmith quests, I finished Blanstyr going out in full plate and failing to kill a squirrel with a hammer, loled heartily, and went to do things I cared about more. I actually like that it seems like they're making an attempt to make him more than the old man yelling at clouds of the guild.

Although the last thing I need at this point is more HW crafting. Thank you, initial goldsmith quest, for wanting loving hardsilver which is three maps deep into MSQ progression. Not to mention carpenter and weaver wanting holy materials, only doable by either spending literally tens of thousands of gil or from a timed node, again three maps deep, that requires flight to reach. I haven't checked MB prices for holy water, but given the general price for other HW crafting mats there's no way it's cheaper than the vendor's mistletoe.

Uh you're underselling it. Hardsilver sand is 4 maps deep (Churning Mists) and ore is 5 (Hinterlands) and also a hidden mat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

derra posted:

Uh you're underselling it. Hardsilver sand is 4 maps deep (Churning Mists) and ore is 5 (Hinterlands) and also a hidden mat.

Oh right, I forgot the Sea of Clouds which is a side offshoot until you decide to go punch Bismark.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, HW crafting mat availability is gaaarbaaaage. It's a shame because most of the crafting quest storylines in HW are really good! But screw you if you want to do them on-level and without just buying turnins off the MB, I guess. (I had my crafters outleveling my MSQ for HW, because of a problem*, and that was just a constant struggle of "can't get to the zone to get the poo poo I need." I still remember how much futile mental effort I spent trying to get to the Hinterlands before MSQ opens it. Turns out you can't!)

* The problem is my priorities

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, HW crafting mat availability is gaaarbaaaage. It's a shame because most of the crafting quest storylines in HW are really good! But screw you if you want to do them on-level and without just buying turnins off the MB, I guess. (I had my crafters outleveling my MSQ for HW, because of a problem*, and that was just a constant struggle of "can't get to the zone to get the poo poo I need." I still remember how much futile mental effort I spent trying to get to the Hinterlands before MSQ opens it. Turns out you can't!)

* The problem is my priorities

Hello fellow Hinterlands pathfinder. We never found a path.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Blue Cloud Coral for Mind Dissolvent :shepicide:
At least the Mogpoms had the decency to be the only thing available at their fishing spot; Blue Cloud Coral has like 8 other fish in its singular spot with no specific bait to acquire it easier :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Frankenstein glams, eight jobs on two plates.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Frankensemble

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Post cancelled, I did more testing and the fastest way to beat Little Big Beast is literally just rushdown with spammed Wind-Up Gentleman from the ARR Hildy quests. The boss is a monster, so it's weak to Poppets, and Wind-Up Gentleman is a Poppet, not a Gadget like the Airship and Cursor.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2022

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I am just so bad at dodging boss attacks that do big windup animations. The ones where you get the orange damage area too quickly to get out of it. I got very used to looking for orange on the ground and the UI elements so every time it happens I have to remind myself it's a thing.

Trusts are great for the first run to learn these, and I get a chuckle when Alisaie just doesn't dodge a big attack. It's annoying to wipe, but at least I'm only wasting my own time.

Yeah, there are quite a few fights in the game where you have to keep an eye on the actual boss to see what attack will come - is the right or left hand raised, is the boss leaning in or out, etc, to be able to dodge the attack.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Heran Bago posted:

Something that helped me was splitting off the target cast bar in the HUD options so I could move it and make it bigger. It's down near where my eyes are looking now and much easier to notice a cast coming, along with its name. That's usually enough info for me to get out of the way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Something that helped me was splitting off the target cast bar in the HUD options so I could move it and make it bigger. It's down near where my eyes are looking now and much easier to notice a cast coming, along with its name. That's usually enough info for me to get out of the way

yep this changed my life, i was suddenly somewhat competent at dodging busters

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's a couple enemy casts that I've set sound triggers for in ACT, because I never remember when they're going out. Off the top of my head, the two most recent are Elenchos in EX3 and Choros Ixou in P6S.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

lol, Raubahn continues to own.

Things have really kicked off with Operation Archon, all of a sudden there's a rad multi-stage boss fight and things feel much more like a ff game in trerms of stakes and scope, it's really cool.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Things have really kicked off with Operation Archon, all of a sudden there's a rad multi-stage boss fight and things feel much more like a ff game in trerms of stakes and scope, it's really cool.

The instanced duties following Operation Archon were remade in the last year so they're a little more up to par with the modern game. They still have some old jank but mechanically they're good indicators of where the game is heading as you go through the expansions.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

When I started playing and got introduced to Beef McLargeHuge here carrying the sultana like a parrot on his arm, my choice of grand company was easy.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Philonius posted:

When I started playing and got introduced to Beef McLargeHuge here carrying the sultana like a parrot on his arm, my choice of grand company was easy.

If you start in Uldah your first real encounter with Raubahn is at a fancy dinner where you're sat next to him and he keeps droning on about the war from five years ago until your character passes out.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The true reason is that the Flames have the quickest to access GC Quartermaster and Squadron Room.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I joined the Flames because of their sick exclusive helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

After hitting 90 and getting to the end of the MSQ with my BLM I have finally switched to a new class. Now I get to be a shiny new tank (DRK) where everything rests on me to not be awful and boy I feel awful. It's one thing to gently caress up and get hosed as a BLM - in fact I've found alot of groups kind of expect it. But it's scary to gently caress up as a tank. Nobody has been mean or anything - the opposite in fact - and I've announced that I'm new on the two dungeons I've done so far, but boy I am sweating the whole dungeon. Died twice in the 2nd raid from thinking I was just like all the tanks I've played with and wall pulling all the mobs to them. That got me killed a bunch. So I'm going to be a baby I guess until I unlock more mitigation skills I guess.

I have two general questions - can anyone give me a two sentence "here's what to do as a brand new DRK?" and "what's the best recommended way to level up an alt class?" From what I've read it's basically to chain run dungeons and doing hunts. How do you guys handle gear while leveling up an alt?