Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Are there many non-gas station WaWa locations anymore? I thought that was a lame strategic move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tezer posted:

Are there many non-gas station WaWa locations anymore? I thought that was a lame strategic move.

I haven't seen a new one open but the old ones are still around.

Large Testicles posted:

There is no such thing as a good convenience store in this hellhole that is California tho

You at least probably have good tacos everywhere you turn, not gringo poo poo with kale and mushrooms.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Phanatic posted:

I haven't seen a new one open but the old ones are still around.

You at least probably have good tacos everywhere you turn, not gringo poo poo with kale and mushrooms.

i live in a predominantly cracker, republican voting area so i actually have to drive like 45 minutes for good food, everything around me is loving terrible

there's one decent taco place nearby but it's hit or miss. their cochinita pibil is loving amazing though when it's right

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Please move the food chat to the food thread, thanks!

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

The Anime Liker posted:

That sounds British, so I'm assuming it's unseasoned wet poo poo on flavorless dry poo poo.

Australian, and it's impossible to get a bad Bunnings sausage. It's literally a beef sausage, barbequed, on a slice of bread, with a selection of simple sauces and optional fried sliced onion. $2.50 at the major DIY hardware chain, Bunnings, run to raise money for local charities and community organisations.

It was an issue of national significance when the instruction came out to put the onion underneath the sausage when tradition was for it to be on top.

But this is the Pictures thread, so required favourite funny picture. There is not an Australian parent that won't have a private chuckle at this one.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

:hmmyes:

If y’all ain’t smoking a meat for at least 4-6 hours it probably ain’t barbecue hth.

Anything less is just “grilling”.

4-6 hours? My meat would be chaffed af by then no matter how much sauce you used. It's just not meant for that kind of sustained friction.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zedprime posted:

It's absolutely criminal that these

are called beaver nuggets and not Bucee's Balls.

I've eaten about 2 full bags worth of these in my entire life, and I think I'd puke if I had to eat another one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh wow, Australia has bodegas?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
No, that's Hammerbarn, the not-Bunnings in the Bluey universe.

Which is our giant hardware warehouse.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

snail posted:

Australian, and it's impossible to get a bad Bunnings sausage. It's literally a beef sausage, barbequed, on a slice of bread, with a selection of simple sauces and optional fried sliced onion. $2.50 at the major DIY hardware chain, Bunnings, run to raise money for local charities and community organisations.

It was an issue of national significance when the instruction came out to put the onion underneath the sausage when tradition was for it to be on top.

But this is the Pictures thread, so required favourite funny picture. There is not an Australian parent that won't have a private chuckle at this one.

Help, I began forming an opinion on the price of the drill

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

And $39 for a hermit crab in a coconut shell?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

If you start having opinions you will look more like me

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

zedprime posted:

It's absolutely criminal that these

are called beaver nuggets and not Bucee's Balls.

You know, i’ve tried to eat these with milk thinking they’d be like corn pops double plus plus but they were pure rear end. Then again i hate bucees for completely ruining our #1 gas station when they opened the one in new braunfels. Revenue dropped by like 90%

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Mmmmmm. I could really chow down on some Big Basted Quorn

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Did I miss bbq chat?

https://twitter.com/munchies/status/970335591626936320

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Belongs in the cursed images thread

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Elissimpark posted:

No, that's Hammerbarn, the not-Bunnings in the Bluey universe.

Which is our giant hardware warehouse.

There’s something of an equivalent in the US’s Costcos, which all have a place after checkout where you can buy a hot dog and drink combo for $1.50. Obviously a loss-leader since you are going to be spending decent money at Costco even on a small trip (it’s a bulk goods store, not exclusively hardware).

Once I had some dental work and somehow decided that it would be a good idea to get a Costco hot dog while the right side of my mouth was completely numb. I would not recommend it, as every bite was a confusing mess of mouth textures.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh wow, Australia has bodegas?

No... Lots of Chinese, Japanese and Korean convenience stores though, at least where I live. We're nowhere near a Spanish-speaking country.

E: well, we're nowhere near any county, but literally the other side of the world from anywhere they speak Spanish.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

These fill me with a deep melancholy and I can't identify the reason

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Driving me up the wall there's one that repeats.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

god it's such an embarrassing tweet, they should seriously delete this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

So I just read the article and it sorta blew my mind because I agreed with this for years and it turns out ... so do Vice? The article is like "outside the US all these 'American BBQ' joints are springing up based on Brooklyn BBQ and it sucks, why is it happening"

quote:

Few would argue that the barbecue being served in Brooklyn is better than in Texas, so why is a Kings County adaptation that is already a bastardized adaptation the one that is furthering the cause?

"BBQ here [in Brooklyn] can be whatever you want it to be and your BBQ place can look like whatever you want it to look like," says Mylan. "In the last ten years Brooklyn has really loved taking something with a long tradition elsewhere and loving with that trope, whether you're talking the dive bar, soul food, French bistro, Mexican cantina, diner, or BBQ. Results are variable and some things perhaps are better left unmolested, but, through Brooklyn (and NYC in general), a pathological desire to rework these tropes has given the rest of the world carte blanche to gently caress with things like BBQ as well, and adapt that type of food to the local diners preferences."

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to imitate the inimitable Aaron Franklin in Buenos Aires, calling their brisket "Austin-style." Would there be outrage? Cries of heresy? Maybe it is just that the Brooklyn brand is already so exploited that no one really gives a poo poo anymore?

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Jul 2, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Depiction of American goons whenever their poo poo-tier chain restaurants are brought up (1978, colourised):

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ultrafilter posted:

The authentic Philly experience.

No, that's leaning over the curb with your George's Roast Pork (at the top of 9th St) so the juice doesn't hit your shirt.

The Anime Liker posted:

God, I miss Philly.

We're here for ya :grit in:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

LawfulWaffle posted:

There’s something of an equivalent in the US’s Costcos, which all have a place after checkout where you can buy a hot dog and drink combo for $1.50. Obviously a loss-leader since you are going to be spending decent money at Costco even on a small trip (it’s a bulk goods store, not exclusively hardware).

Once I had some dental work and somehow decided that it would be a good idea to get a Costco hot dog while the right side of my mouth was completely numb. I would not recommend it, as every bite was a confusing mess of mouth textures.

The Costco hotdog store is part of Costco. The Bunnings sausage tent is set up outside the entrance and is manned by volunteers from which ever community group or sports club has it for that day, so it's amateur grill hour.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Elissimpark posted:

The Costco hotdog store is part of Costco. The Bunnings sausage tent is set up outside the entrance and is manned by volunteers from which ever community group or sports club has it for that day, so it's amateur grill hour.
Just don't order one delivered by drone...

Man faces $9000 fine for using a drone to pick up a Bunnings sausage

quote:

The video shows a drone flying over a housing estate and crossing a four-lane road before hovering over the Bunnings barbecue.

An alleged accomplice then places a snag into a receptacle which is connected to the drone by a string. It is unclear if the man asked for onions.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hell no.

Let it stand as a forever testament of what everyone outside of New York knows about New York: it's the city equivalent of a Disney cruise.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/P5y582u.mp4

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I've worked for Wawa for the last 7 years. I joined just after the company decided that they no longer wanted to be a deli/market, but rather a one-stop shop for everything food/drink related. The menu has ballooned to include tacos, burgers, chicken sandwiches, pulled pork, fries, pizza, salads. We had pasta for a year before it was discontinued (it was terrible). There are smoothies, cappuccinos, iced coffee, cold brew, iced tea, lemonade, lattes, macchiatos, matcha, bubble teas just got added. The common theme throughout all the food is that it's not very good, it's just fast.

The rolls used to be fresh every day, now they come in par-baked and can last up to 3 days. The meats used to be fresh sliced, now come in the wettest, foulest-smelling bags (especially the turkey). The chicken is tough, the beef and pork are bland. The burgers are greasy and unappealing.

Corporate had immense pressure to raise wages and did so, but cut labor hours. No matter how busy you are, you're always using too much labor. Are you short-staffed? Keep all the stations open, no matter the stress it places on the workers who keep showing up.

Not to mention delivery and curbside. You've been waiting 20 minutes for your hoagie? Sorry I've gotta finish the 15 hoagie order that came in before yours for the person who couldn't be bothered to come here in person. Please stop giving me a death-stare.

I've finally committed to getting a new job, can't wait to leave.

Edit: Basically what I'm saying is: stop going to wawa. It's not very good and "it's such a great company to work for" is just corporate propaganda.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Jul 2, 2022

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What is this tiny spit of meat I'm looking at here? Where's the rest of the meal?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

White Light posted:

What is this tiny spit of meat I'm looking at here? Where's the rest of the meal?

Would you really want more of whatever that is

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

looks like unseasoned boiled boneless rib meat pieces. If someone served me that I'd ask to the see the chef, so I could berate him and possibly punch his lights out for serving me dog food instead of a real meal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shoot him, too. loving break his legs. smash his teeth!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
spit upon him! strike him with many blows! scourge him! place a robe on him, and also a crown of thorns upon his brow in mockery of... hang on a moment

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kwyndig posted:

looks like unseasoned boiled boneless rib meat pieces. If someone served me that I'd ask to the see the chef, so I could berate him and possibly punch his lights out for serving me dog food instead of a real meal.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Kwyndig posted:

they mock you but you're right

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Tree Bucket posted:

spit upon him! strike him with many blows! scourge him! place a robe on him, and also a crown of thorns upon his brow in mockery of... hang on a moment
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...

... no wait.