Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as far as mechanics i spec for I went whole hog on harbinger and ritual and expedition and delerium last league and now im so sick of it i never want to see any of it again. so with the economy changes and archnem changes maybe I'll go back to blight and heist or something. maybe harvest now that it's more of a fire and forget thing. it depends on the build, if im really zoomy then heist is incredibly easy and not a problem. if im not it's one of the worst tortures in the game besides the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Melee players just need to harvest craft one good weapon and they’re set until ubers, the hell are you talking about

The campaign is new to me every time because I do different builds almost every league and have done so since beta, would recommend

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Prediction: by 3.20 or even mid-league they will change some stuff around with divine orbs, such as turning exalts back into the metacraft option or changing some div cards from exalts to divine orbs.
I don't think GGG took into account how many div cards there were to generate exalt orbs and they were still 100c+ every league and how few options there are for divines.

Other prediction: rarity affecting currency drops means the powerfarming groups with a specialized culler will be making GBS threads out currency like we've never seen before and they will be pulling stacks of exalts and divines out of every map while the peasants scrounge for pennies, expect a video within a week of league start of that.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Rarity only affects currency drops in the very narrow case of AN mods converting item drops into currency. This might be a big deal or it might be absolutely nothing, but its only relevant in very few rares (which are already more rare than before)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They got rid of that one keystone that added a rare mod so probably not as insane as it could be. I wonder if rare mods affect drops in mechanics or if it's just 'raw' mobs? Cuz nobody farms Heist for XP or drops from mobs, but if high level contracts have 4 mod rares you can farm those for quite a while longer than you'd expect. Plus you can still like, run juiced blight maps.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

They got rid of that one keystone that added a rare mod so probably not as insane as it could be. I wonder if rare mods affect drops in mechanics or if it's just 'raw' mobs? Cuz nobody farms Heist for XP or drops from mobs, but if high level contracts have 4 mod rares you can farm those for quite a while longer than you'd expect. Plus you can still like, run juiced blight maps.

Heist mobs stop giving Xp after a while literally because people wouldn't stop farming them for insane Xp/h

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Rage vortex is very good because you can run around while it's yeeting on a boss or rare. I used bladestorm to map and build rage in 3.18. the mapping speed was adequate, great for bossing of course. sounds like alk and ben are gonna use it to league start too

shame they made chain breaker even worse

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I want rage vortex to work with poison so bad. I wish it worked with claws...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
There is a way around that...

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a good guide on running heists for profit. i like heist well enough that i might do it this league but i don't think i do it in a way that builds up blueprints or anything like that fast

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The problem with heist - at least for me - is that you are not in maps

Maps are ridiculous with the atlas passives . The next league mechanic is also in maps

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Wuxi posted:

You do not ever under any circumstances drop the Fortify node on Champ. Its literally the reason you go Champ and the biggest reason why its such a strong ascendancy.

Cleave has a low mana cost and works perfectly fine with Elreon crafts. Switching in Lifetap is a massive damage loss, since you don't just have to get Impale nodes, you also want the Physical Mastery for 40% Lifetap damage and probably Cannibalistic Rite too. Thats not doable on a crit build.

Rage is an option, but its a lot of micro-management for not a lot of gain.

Overall Melee is going to be fine. Earthshatter is fine, Earthquake is fine, maybe Sunder will be good, Lightning Strike is great. Molten Strike is fine, its biggest issue is that Lightning Strike exists. Rage Vortex and Shield Crush are both good skills too.
Stuff like Cleave/Sweep/Bladestorm is usable as well.
With the big outliers EA/Seismic/DD nerfed I don't think melee is in a worse state than spells anymore. Yes, you have a lower uptime on bosses than ranged and DoT builds, but melee can scale very hard to make up for it. Just don't expect to ever have fun fighting Uber Sirus
lol if you think melee is fine, also melee cannot scale way harder than ranged and dot builds either lmao what year is this. like even if you somehow ignore how well EA or seismic trap or minions scaled there's still spectral helix which crushes most other melee options as a pseudo-ranged choice (while also sucking rear end to play) mainly thanks to how Nightblade functions.

like the people playing chieftain are gonna have more luck doing totems or fire convert reap than they are slams. and one of the other viable melee skills is getting completely kneecapped because of more stun immune monsters existing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wuxi posted:

Heist mobs stop giving Xp after a while literally because people wouldn't stop farming them for insane Xp/h

yeah, i mean nobody farms them for that anymore. or at least most people don't. it's still slower than 5 ways. but you can go for a shockingly long time in those things. it takes like 3 or 4 minutes before the mobs stop giving drops and xp.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

is there a good guide on running heists for profit. i like heist well enough that i might do it this league but i don't think i do it in a way that builds up blueprints or anything like that fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkm6VhWW64

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

lol if you think melee is fine, also melee cannot scale way harder than ranged and dot builds either lmao what year is this. like even if you somehow ignore how well EA or seismic trap or minions scaled there's still spectral helix which crushes most other melee options as a pseudo-ranged choice (while also sucking rear end to play) mainly thanks to how Nightblade functions.

like the people playing chieftain are gonna have more luck doing totems or fire convert reap than they are slams. and one of the other viable melee skills is getting completely kneecapped because of more stun immune monsters existing.

The best build of last league was literally Omni LS and thats a melee skill and compared to DD/Seismic/EA it barely got touched. Earthshatter, Rage Vortex and Helix easily get you into the endgame on a SSF budget. Sunder looks great damage-wise but its hard to gauge how impactful the wave speed is going to be.
Melees problem has never been pure numbers, its always damage application. Thats why you can roll a 1mil dps Cleave build with Champ defense on a Terminus Est. Thats why the preferred choices for melee are Earthshatter/Earthquake, Rage Vortex and Lightning Strike.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
this is gonna be ranger league for me. whats a good ranger league start. eventually i want to end up doing some kind of tshot poison with sniper's mark shenanigans. so i guess i could start with the ole caustic arrow and toxic rain combo?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As was mentioned above, you can fly through the campaign with spectral helix.

Cuastic/TR still works too yeah

also PCONC

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Elentor posted:

You need to be invested into something to complaint about the most trivial stuff in it. If I start playing a game just now and don't like it and leave a review of it it will certainly be about broad strokes, not a cynical one-off about some minor thing they added this patch I didn't even get to see.

Oh no, I get that. I just see the insanely melodramatic "GGG can't even make a fun game" kind of comments from people who've played like addicts for at least 3+ years to be kind of funny. Just quit my dude.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alchemists mark is going to be my first new skill to use for sure .

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

FZeroRacer posted:

like the people playing chieftain are gonna have more luck doing totems or fire convert reap than they are slams.

if you want to do slams, maybe it's better to pick an ascendancy class that is meant for melee slams, and not the totems/caster ascendancy with one bad slam-flavored node (that doesn't work with any of the synergies you'd use if you went for a slam build).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ignite slam may work with that new mark

Probably not.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol jungroan is pushing an ice trap inquis for his league starter, using the new sunblast belt. But man it looks like it'll be nearly EA levels of delayed damage since the belt makes your traps detonate after one second, and enemies can't trigger them.

So you toss, wait for trap to land, arm, wait one second, then it donates. Meanwhile you're already a screen away.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

queeb posted:

Lol jungroan is pushing an ice trap inquis for his league starter, using the new sunblast belt. But man it looks like it'll be nearly EA levels of delayed damage since the belt makes your traps detonate after one second, and enemies can't trigger them.

So you toss, wait for trap to land, arm, wait one second, then it donates. Meanwhile you're already a screen away.

I predict the build feels like poo poo. Traps already suffer from throw time + trigger, and adding roughly .5 - 1s to that is going to be brutal.

If you watch people clear high tier maps with mines, they throw in front of themselves and detonate as they go. This build will do something similar, except all the enemies will still be alive when you walk through them.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
ES zerker was not useless this league either!

Wuxi posted:

I never do the league mechanic until at least Foothills, probably maps. Campaign is quick and relatively painless as it is and stopping for basically anything is just a waste of time for me

same

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Reiterpallasch posted:

CF champion is a lot less rare-dependent and stronger at lower budgets I think unless the unique item changes make haemophilia expensive somehow, and then you can respec into gladiator if you decide you want to push the build to much higher gear levels.

Any chance you got a link to a build guide? Not seeing it on the usual aggregators.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlxYuPC71_wjdkewnpamYEr_wTeGXNEZodjOB-MwGxM/edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcEQwUGxq0

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FZeroRacer posted:

* drop the fortify node (if you're pure melee like this build you can have perma fortify through the mastery) and get Adrenaline. there are multiple ways to trigger Adrenaline and it's a massive DPS boost

All the dangerous stuff in the game are tuned around Fortify falling off, as well as other buffs you can't self-sustain. Perma-Fortify is very strong.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

I predict the build feels like poo poo. Traps already suffer from throw time + trigger, and adding roughly .5 - 1s to that is going to be brutal.

If you watch people clear high tier maps with mines, they throw in front of themselves and detonate as they go. This build will do something similar, except all the enemies will still be alive when you walk through them.
at the very least sab's 'when your traps trigger other traps trigger' would still work but there's a ton of stuff that trappers rely on that would never work. like tinkerskin becomes worthless and you can't get frenzy charges or power through master sapper/high explosives. testing with sunblast now and the trigger time is real, real long.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That new mark with focal point seems almost too good to be true.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

sunder feels like a better 2nd character after league start, because trade will have the helmet enchant and the alt quality gem more available (and you'll have the cash) to further increase the wave speed. the base 60% buff plus another 30% sounds good on paper

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

External Organs posted:

If you don't wipe to the fire fury on The Coast are you even living

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Larry Parrish posted:

im not an expert but it seems like the real reason melee will suck

I think it's just the inherent disadvantage melee has in almost every RPG type, and is exaggerated in ARPGs. It's a lot easier to stay alive (esp in a game as one-shot-with-no-explanation heavy as POE) when you don't have to be near the boss.

Melee is fun though, so every now and again, I get suckered back into it.

Jinnigan posted:

I played with this a little last league. People have already linked some good guides, but the TLDR is:

- Run deception contracts (quickest to earn blueprint reveals, plus stacked decks to sell)
- Reveal unusual gems blueprints (4 wings preferred)
- Reveal div and currency rooms (others might be good depending on the league, and once you get a feel for how many rooms you can deal with)
- Price check the alt qualities (or look at poe.ninja gems for which ones are above the 5c/10c mark or whatever)
- Regading lenses are good too

I only did it for a few hours - I just found it so goddamn boring. But even then, with my extremely sub-optimal play, there was no doubt it was a money maker. Decent gems/lenses, by POE drop rate standards, aren't that uncommon - but the content is so much a loving snooze fest that (comparatively) no one will do it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Elentor posted:

All the dangerous stuff in the game are tuned around Fortify falling off, as well as other buffs you can't self-sustain. Perma-Fortify is very strong.
keep in mind that Adrenaline also gives a decent chunk of phys reduction and with the changes you can easily get around 180% increased fortification duration, making each stack last 17s. previously the maximum was 10s.

in most scenarios dropping a support gem for fortify and picking up first to strike or conqueror should result in you dealing more dps or being tankier. previously the issue was that generating fortification stacks for most builds is a PITA due to the dumb rear end ailment calculations they tied it to (fixed by doubling stacks gained on hit, to be seen how well that works in practice) and stacks falling off too quickly both of which should be far better now.

and also important to note that first to strike and conqueror are both reduced damage straight up, while fortify is reduced damage from hits. as damage over time is more of an issue than ever having something that helps mitigate that is huge too.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Fortitude is unconditional and the biggest chunk of defense you have. Its unconditional less damage from hits, reduced DoT taken, armour/evasion and attack speed. Every other form of defense champ has (besides Inspirational) is conditional and way way worse. You never die when you are prepared and ready, you die when you aren't and Fortitude means you are always more prepared.
If other defenses can't provide the same they are worse, no matter how big their numbers are.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Wuxi posted:

Fortitude is unconditional and the biggest chunk of defense you have. Its unconditional less damage from hits, reduced DoT taken, armour/evasion and attack speed. Every other form of defense champ has (besides Inspirational) is conditional and way way worse. You never die when you are prepared and ready, you die when you aren't and Fortitude means you are always more prepared.
If other defenses can't provide the same they are worse, no matter how big their numbers are.
it's not reduced DoT taken. fortification is very specifically less damage taken from hits. dots are not hits.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

They changed fortification to be less damage taken from hits alone, but in return they added ways to get more of it, so you can get like 25+% less damage taken from hits which is huge. Or you can spend skill points on making it worse to get it somewhere else than your own ascendancy I guess

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

They changed fortification to be less damage taken from hits alone, but in return they added ways to get more of it, so you can get like 25+% less damage taken from hits which is huge. Or you can spend skill points on making it worse to get it somewhere else than your own ascendancy I guess
if you're expecting to get more fortification stacks then you need a way to generate fortification. champion's ascendancy gives you 20 fortify, not max fortify. so if you're focusing on a build that involves getting beyond 20 fortify champ's node is already somewhat redundant since you're baked in fortify generation elsewhere.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

it's not reduced DoT taken. fortification is very specifically less damage taken from hits. dots are not hits.

You always use the Fortification mastery.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

FZeroRacer posted:

if you're expecting to get more fortification stacks then you need a way to generate fortification. champion's ascendancy gives you 20 fortify, not max fortify. so if you're focusing on a build that involves getting beyond 20 fortify champ's node is already somewhat redundant since you're baked in fortify generation elsewhere.

I use the overlord cluster node because it doesn't come with the -3 fort penalty. But it has a weapon type restriction. It's less focusing on going beyond 20 and more taking perma-fort so all the conditional mods are always on. it's IMO the way to go, also the extra fort effect you pick up from the small asc nodes is nice.

when I play melee I mainly play slams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Wuxi posted:

You always use the Fortification mastery.
oh right that's fair.

still, i'm convinced that with the fortify generation changes it's better off to invest the ascendancy points elsewhere and move some of the tree points into the reworked Steadfast wheel. it's hard for me to think of any fights where you can't maintain full fortification if each stack lasts 17s.