Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Apparently the cost of not having to deal with a bajillion my password doesn't work support requests. Must have been a lot of calls/emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

geonetix posted:

Who needs internet security, right? :smith:

It makes sense when you consider the reduced number of technical support questions related to forgotten or mistyped passwords. A 16 character password would effecitvely take 16 million years to crack according to http://howsecureismypassword.net/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MEAT TREAT posted:

It makes sense when you consider the reduced number of technical support questions related to forgotten or mistyped passwords. A 16 character password would effecitvely take 16 million years to crack according to http://howsecureismypassword.net/

Ug, taking the caps out makes my blizzard password go from 10 day to 3 hours. I use an authenticator so I don't feel like I need a stronger password.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

poemdexter posted:

Ug, taking the caps out makes my blizzard password go from 10 day to 3 hours. I use an authenticator so I don't feel like I need a stronger password.

At 10 days you were screwed no matter the caps, it's only really secure once you hit the years. And to hit that mark it's easier just making it longer than adding caps and weird symbols. Seriously the password fuckthisgayearth takes 5 million years to crack and is very easy to remember.

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

I can't wait for 'how secure is my credit card number'

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

We're sorry but we can only verify the security of your credit card by checking the last 3 digits on the back of your card.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MEAT TREAT posted:

At 10 days you were screwed no matter the caps, it's only really secure once you hit the years. And to get hit that mark it's easier just making it longer than adding caps and weird symbols. Seriously the password fuckthisgayearth takes 5 million years to crack and is very easy to remember.

That password is longer than 16 characters, so you can't use it on Battle.net, and is extremely vulnerable to a dictionary attack.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

quiggy posted:

That password is longer than 16 characters

pre:
fuckthisgayearth

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

MEAT TREAT posted:

Regardless of that, I think it's a bad habit to truncate passwords, refuse characters (something blizzard does too, for example '@' and '#' are refused) and make the password case insensitive. The more entropy you allow, the more secure your password can be, if your users feel the need to.

edit: added extra characters to negate e-mail remarks (even though it's a valid remark and people who use their e-mail address as their password deserve to get their accounts stolen)

geonetix fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 23, 2012

abiogenesis
Feb 4, 2009
I received this email from my institution's IT dept in response to a query about passwords:

quote:

linux/unix silently truncates passwords to 8 characters

It does this not only when you set up your account, but every time you log in as well.
Which means I can type in ********cockshitcuntfart as my password and it will work.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

geonetix posted:

'@' is refused

That makes sense as a way to keep stupid people from using their email address (or their email address simply reversed) as their password.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

abiogenesis posted:

I received this email from my institution's IT dept in response to a query about passwords:

It does this not only when you set up your account, but every time you log in as well.
Which means I can type in ********cockshitcuntfart as my password and it will work.

They're dead wrong, though. This hasn't been the case for years if not decades.

Unless they mean "our linux/unix systems truncate passwords to 8 characters (because we have configured them to do so)", in which case they're right, but idiots.

E: except even then they're wrong, because even if you configure PAM or whatever to truncate, you'll get a warning about that when you set your password, so there's no "silently" about it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

abiogenesis posted:

Then your IT is bad.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2179649/are-passwords-on-modern-unix-linux-systems-still-limited-to-8-characters

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

quiggy posted:

That password is longer than 16 characters, so you can't use it on Battle.net, and is extremely vulnerable to a dictionary attack.

(size of dictionary)4 tends to be a pretty big number. "extremely vulnerable" is a gross exaggeration.

I'd also point out that unless Blizzard just lets connections make 50 million guesses at a password, the password strength only really matters if an attacker acquires their database. At that point, (as long as you don't have a common password), the complexity of the hashing algorithm is as important (if not more) than the strength of your password. It would take significantly longer to bruteforce a case-insensitive bcrypt hash with an appropriate work factor than a case-sensitive SHA1 hash.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008

LordKaT posted:

This isn't code, but it's related, and my face almost imploded when I read this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152409863?page=1

:psyduck:

The reasoning seems pretty straight forward. Less support calls about passwords. Majority of account passwords are compromised from user phishing or a keylogger. And using the hardware authentication makes a compromised password less of an issue.

I also think facebook does similar shenanigans where it will try a few rules to change your password and let you login. Such as invert alpha characters as if the user typed with caps lock on or invert first character as if it was auto capitalized.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I think the bigger issue is that it can be a sign that your password is stored in plaintext somewhere. A hash would generally make a differentiation between "FuckThisGayEarth" and "fuckthisgayearth".

(The other, more plausible solution is just turning all input to lowercase letters, but given the "security" of several large corporations these past few years, I suspect the worst.)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you don't have an authenticator attached to your bnet account pretty much anything even vaguely suspicious results in it getting locked. If you do have an authenticator, your password strength is unimportant. Brute forcing any password better than the account name or "password" would be pretty hard.

Zamujasa posted:

I think the bigger issue is that it can be a sign that your password is stored in plaintext somewhere. A hash would generally make a differentiation between "FuckThisGayEarth" and "fuckthisgayearth".

(The other, more plausible solution is just turning all input to lowercase letters, but given the "security" of several large corporations these past few years, I suspect the worst.)
There is basically no difference in how you implement case-insensitive passwords if passwords are stored in plaintext or hashed. WoW account hacking was a Really Big Thing for a few years, and so it seems likely that if they were doing derpy things on their end someone would have managed to attack the servers rather than rely on keyloggers.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Hibame posted:

invert first character as if it was auto capitalized.

How the christ can a control tell if the first letter was autocapitalized...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

epswing posted:

How the christ can a control tell if the first letter was autocapitalized...
"as if"

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Have you ever called your bank and you've had to insert your web password over the phone?

So if your password was 'fuckthisgayearth' you'd type in 9285244148398124. It worries me how they do that conversion.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

ijustam posted:

Have you ever called your bank and you've had to insert your web password over the phone?

So if your password was 'fuckthisgayearth' you'd type in 9285244148398124. It worries me how they do that conversion.

I would hope that they produce and store a second "touch tone phone" hash when you are initially selecting the password, but if they didn't plan for that when they first created the system...

edit: And even then, you've massively decreased the amount of entropy in basically every password, which is still pretty bad.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quiggy posted:

Goddamn that is a pretty thorough dictionary if they have, "fuckthisgayearth"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

I would hope that they produce and store a second "touch tone phone" hash when you are initially selecting the password, but if they didn't plan for that when they first created the system...

edit: And even then, you've massively decreased the amount of entropy in basically every password, which is still pretty bad.

With the 8-character limit that a lot of banks have it'd be pretty reasonably to simply hash every possibly choice of letters from the keypresses.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Zamujasa posted:

Pretty sure that's how they do it.

It's just a game password, and not brute-forceable (against their servers), so meh, reasonable enough.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

Goddamn that is a pretty thorough dictionary if they have, "fuckthisgayearth"

Just checked, even the rock you list doesn't have it. In any form. So using "fuckthisgayearth" was a pretty safe password to use.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Guys, please stop giving out my super secure password.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Just change it to fuckthisstraightearth. We won't tell.

pigdog posted:

Pretty sure that's how they do it.

It's just a game password, and not brute-forceable (against their servers), so meh, reasonable enough.

Don't they have billing information in their accounts? Plus, if you've spent enough time getting your WoW character to whatever the max level is, I imagine it's got more than monetary value to you.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

MEAT TREAT posted:

This assumes that only 250 million passwords can be attempted per second, which is a pretty drat low estimate.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Munkeymon posted:

Just change it to fuckthisstraightearth. We won't tell.

God drat it, and I just got done changing all my passwords

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

This assumes that only 250 million passwords can be attempted per second, which is a pretty drat low estimate.

I dunno, I think that's a pretty reasonable estimate for a desktop CPU. Obviously you can go a lot faster if you have a big cluster of GPUs, but that's not really the point the site is trying to make.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zhentar posted:

I dunno, I think that's a pretty reasonable estimate for a desktop CPU. Obviously you can go a lot faster if you have a big cluster of GPUs, but that's not really the point the site is trying to make.
Even with just the mid-high-end GPU in my desktop that I use for gaming I can get >1bn/s. It's pretty much guaranteed that an attacker who has access to the hashes will be using at least one GPU to attack them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Even with just the mid-high-end GPU in my desktop that I use for gaming I can get >1bn/s. It's pretty much guaranteed that an attacker who has access to the hashes will be using at least one GPU to attack them.

Against someone with access to the hashes, the complexity of the hashing algorithm is far more important than password strength as soon as you get outside the really dumb things like "your account name backwards" and "password".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That's why you salt your hashes, of course. GPUs can't handle all that umami flavor, and they have to throw up every three servings, leaving half your results invalid.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

tef posted:

http://ismycreditcardstolen.com/

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Good luck when VISA find them. They're less tolerant of parody than the olympics.

(mycreditcarddetails.co.uk got shafted)

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's why you salt your hashes, of course. GPUs can't handle all that umami flavor, and they have to throw up every three servings, leaving half your results invalid.

Better yet, don't try to think about hashing/salting/storing passwords yourself. There are plenty of good password stretching schemes with well written libraries. Bcrypt is good. PBKDF2 is good. Hell, glibc/some BSDs' crypt() is good if you use the right options. Pick one and never worry again.

Or everyone keep doing your own crypto because that will keep a steady supply of stories rolling in to this thread :shobon:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Functional programming in zsh.

$ sum(){ foldl λ a b . 'echo $(($a + $b))' }
$ list {1..100} | sum

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gotta admire the guys who knowingly and deliberately set out to make something terrible. Like whoever invented unify and surrender algorithms.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Fren posted:

Functional programming in zsh.

$ sum(){ foldl λ a b . 'echo $(($a + $b))' }
$ list {1..100} | sum

Do you really have to use that lambda character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Strong Sauce posted:

Do you really have to use that lambda character?

It's just an alias for another function, you can use "lambda" instead.