Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, who killed someone street racing?

We have the same rule here, where even if you manage to get a plea deal for a lesser charge, you still get hit with the full fine. It may be a deferred sentence type deal as well, I'm not sure. It's been at least 3-4 years since my last ticket, man I used to spend way too much time at the municipal courthouse.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

zapateria posted:

Doesn't Finland have some percentage of your income as fines? Would be fun to see some 1%'er from the US be fined a million dollars for speeding.
Yep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_fine

Sweden uses it as well, and the value of the day fine is based on your income, dependants, children, saved fortune, etc.

Our law also has a nice little clause which says if your standard of living noticeably exceeds your taxed income level the court will assume you're lying about your income and adjust the fine accordingly. (And probably sic a tax audit on you)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

marauderthirty posted:

Wait, who killed someone street racing?

It was an old local news story. Some guy just drove like a maniac everywhere and kept getting tickets and suspensions and ignored them and eventually caused an accident with his riced out 1989 Accord and killed someone.

I wasn't planning on following his footsteps or anything, but I have heard of getting away with ignoring tickets, though mostly red-light camera tickets because of legal bs and the yellows being shortened to catch more drivers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Did 575 miles on the Speed Triple today. Pretty sore, taking breaks every hour or so helped a lot, though. Given the option I wouldn't do it again.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's only like 5 hours of riding on a Speed Triple

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

No, sadly we don't. At least not for traffic violations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Well I can just go ahead and shut the gently caress up. I opened up the KLR exhaust expecting a cloud of fiberglass, but instead I found a handful of what could be described as solidified "puddles" of carbon and glass. The can was otherwise empty. Repacked it and it sounds better.

Aaaand I'm still screwed. Mostly my fault for neglecting the exhaust and not laying low around cops. Despite bulletins from the CHP itself indicating that officers should not cite people just for the gently caress of it, there are plenty of examples of officers issuing 27150(a) tickets for illegal exhaust due to it producing a "harsh or excessive noise." I wouldn't be giving a second thought, but today, right around the corner from my house, I saw the motor cop who pulled me over. Must be local. I have a feeling I'd get a binder full of tickets if I ran into him again with the old exhaust installed.

Seems like I should dig up a stock KLR boat anchor after all. Too bad I threw mine out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Didn't notice it until now, but around the 15th, the official service bulletin went out in the BMW dealer net about the S1000 con rod bolts. It's just a lack of loctite on them, as was rumored. Said there were some instances of them loosening up at high RPM, no more details than that. The repair job is listed as around 5 hours of paid warranty labor. Turns out you have to split the engine cases to get to those bolts. They wrote up a special 20 page repair manual addendum on it and made a special parts kit of everything needed.

They don't give specifics on what range of bikes are affected, you have to check an individual bike by punching its VIN into their dealer net. Just says it's some 2012 bikes made before June 1 this year.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

No, sadly we don't. At least not for traffic violations.
Not for speeding alone, but for reckless driving.

https://lagen.nu/1951:649

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did 575 miles on the Speed Triple today. Pretty sore, taking breaks every hour or so helped a lot, though. Given the option I wouldn't do it again.

Eh? How tall are you? Fat? Mine's been the comfiest long distance bike I've ever had.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

_Dav posted:

Eh? How tall are you? Fat? Mine's been the comfiest long distance bike I've ever had.

5'11" or so, 185, not in the best shape and better core strength would've helped. But I had a Kreiga tank bag filled with clothes and I basically laid down on it and was pretty comfy. Where I had problems were with my knees feeling cramped / needing a good stretch after an hour or so and for some reason my right thumb hurt like holy hell, although I suspect both of those may be aggravated pre-existing conditions. Nevertheless I can see the appeal of a bike that puts your legs more out in front of you for long rides.

Doing about 225 miles tomorrow, thankfully a lot more mountain roads than highway this time.

E: I also inadvertently scheduled my riding vacation in a 100+ degree heatwave so that's not helping the comfort aspect. Wicking shirt/shorts and mesh jacket/pants are keeping it from being that bad as long as I stop and hydrate regularly.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 1, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Per suggestions regarding my Multi having idling issues on start, I threw some seafoam in and rang it out pretty good, traumatizing some Amish folks in the process, I imagine. In addition I installed new plugs... are these old ones fouled?

I got to upgrade to Iridiums. It seems to be starting much stronger now, but I won't know for sure until I can take it out for a while.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Those look absolutely ancient. And yes, carbon-fouled (but probably the two go together).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

orthod0ks posted:

Per suggestions regarding my Multi having idling issues on start, I threw some seafoam in and rang it out pretty good, traumatizing some Amish folks in the process, I imagine. In addition I installed new plugs... are these old ones fouled?

I got to upgrade to Iridiums. It seems to be starting much stronger now, but I won't know for sure until I can take it out for a while.

I wouldn't "upgrade" your plugs, hope that works out OK. Lots of cars/bikes really only like the OEM designed plug.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

n8r posted:

I wouldn't "upgrade" your plugs, hope that works out OK. Lots of cars/bikes really only like the OEM designed plug.

They're considered the goto plug on the mts forums. I checked first.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

n8r posted:

The Iridium plugs are usually the same spec' just with better, harder wearing plating, no? My KTM has Iridium as the OEM, there isn't even a standard version available - I'm pretty sure KTM commissioned the plug purely for the LC4 and LC8 as the plug dimensions are used for no other vehicle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I dunno - changes in resistance or spark quality? Apparently it matters in some situations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

ReelBigLizard posted:

The Iridium plugs are usually the same spec' just with better, harder wearing plating, no? My KTM has Iridium as the OEM, there isn't even a standard version available - I'm pretty sure KTM commissioned the plug purely for the LC4 and LC8 as the plug dimensions are used for no other vehicle.

So that's why its $17 a plug, drat. What about the rc8?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

5'11" or so, 185, not in the best shape and better core strength would've helped. But I had a Kreiga tank bag filled with clothes and I basically laid down on it and was pretty comfy. Where I had problems were with my knees feeling cramped / needing a good stretch after an hour or so and for some reason my right thumb hurt like holy hell, although I suspect both of those may be aggravated pre-existing conditions. Nevertheless I can see the appeal of a bike that puts your legs more out in front of you for long rides.

Doing about 225 miles tomorrow, thankfully a lot more mountain roads than highway this time.

E: I also inadvertently scheduled my riding vacation in a 100+ degree heatwave so that's not helping the comfort aspect. Wicking shirt/shorts and mesh jacket/pants are keeping it from being that bad as long as I stop and hydrate regularly.

Huh, strange.. Did you get the gel seat or the normal people seat? I might have broken in my touring arse better than I thought then, although I am a tad shorter..

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was under the impression the platinum/iridium plugs just had longer lasting electrodes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

They only really make sense if you have a car with spark plugs that are a bitch to replace.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

They only really make sense if you have a car with spark plugs that are a bitch to replace.

Or if you have a Buell with one spark plug that is a bitch to replace.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Or a Honda with a frame spar across the spark plug holes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Or a Honda with a frame spar across the spark plug holes.

Wassup CBR600 bro?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

Wassup CBR600 bro?

929 Krew

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

929 Krew

Oh poo poo, now we have to knife fight or something to the musical stylings of Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Oh poo poo, now we have to knife fight or something to the musical stylings of Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.

There's no replacement for displacement :colbert:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Z3n posted:

There's no replacement for displacement :colbert:

See: Harley-Davidson

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

stevobob posted:

See: Harley-Davidson

Isn't Triumph the king of production displacement?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah. The H-D 110in engine is pretty huge, but that's still only 1.8l...the Rocket III is 2.3 litres / 140in.

Here's a 2000cc single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygyk_eCMGzU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

_Dav posted:

Huh, strange.. Did you get the gel seat or the normal people seat? I might have broken in my touring arse better than I thought then, although I am a tad shorter..

Regular seat. My arse was fine, other than swampass from the heat - pretty impressive, my old Z1000 seat was a torture rack after an hour or so.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My friend was telling me about a community that complains about loud things. They have a subsection dedicated to motorcycles.

Noise Off posted:

Do not approach or attempt to reason with motorcycle riders. When possible, take down their license plate number and call the police.

Learn the existing noise codes in your community and how it applies to motorcycles. Lobby elected officials for EPA stamp enforcement.

Raise public awareness in your community and speak up at public hearings and meetings.

If you see a motorcycle shop opening up in your community, organize with community groups and send a clear message that the sale and installation of illegal exhaust systems will not be tolerated.

Riders who choose to ride with illegal exhaust systems ruin the image of the lifestyle and sport of motorcycling for others. Responsible riders and motorcycle clubs should advocate the use of legal exhaust systems.

http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php

Apparently ADVrider guys invaded them a while back. Their forum is pretty entertaining if you're bored.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
That list seems pretty good to me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
We are a coalition of citizens, elected representatives, researchers, law enforcement professionals, and activists...

Coalition: a group of idiots with excess free time who meet once a month at a Ramada Inn, debate for an hour, and conclude that we must all work together. Since no actual work takes place between meetings, each one ends with this same insight.

Activist: a member of several coalitions.

I agree with their list as well, but jeez, teach a kid to read ferchrissakes. Then they might grow up to be analytical thinkers invulnerable to received opinion such as loud pipes saving lives, cherry bombs making Nissan Sentras faster, etc.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 5, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If I could fabricate then each bike I owned would have the stock exhaust, and a bypass just after the header so at will I could unleash hell on earth all while passing visual inspection.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Marv Hushman posted:

We are a coalition of citizens, elected representatives, researchers, law enforcement professionals, and activists...

Coalition: a group of idiots with excess free time who meet once a month at a Ramada Inn, debate for an hour, and conclude that we must all work together. Since no actual work takes place between meetings, each one ends with this same insight.

Activist: a member of several coalitions.

I agree with their list as well, but jeez, teach a kid to read ferchrissakes. Then they might grow up to be analytical thinkers invulnerable to received opinion such as loud pipes saving lives, cherry bombs making Nissan Sentras faster, etc.

I feel like calling yourself an activist is a tricky thing. I mean is it like being a hipster: if you call yourself one than you aren't *really* one? That always confused me. I mean I met someone the other day, and after she introduced herself as "an activist," my brain kind of shut down and I immediatey got bored.

On the topic of motorcycles, I would love to see a debate between these fine citizens and a gaggle of folks who "know for a fact" that loud pipes save lives. :allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pretty sure there's a regulation in our vehicle inspection code, required yearly for every registered vehicle, that says the exhaust has to be stock with no holes. Pretty much every shop I know of ignores that regulation, including ours. AS A BMW OWNER who doesn't like loud things I'd like to fail those bikes for that stuff, but I'm pretty confident we'd lose a lot of customers over that. If loud pipes are banned in the inspection regimen, then a shop that inspects a bike with loud pipes is performing inspections wrong and subject to bigass fines, which the cops can easily call them on. But the cops ignore it too. So it's just widely accepted by riders, PTA members who hate riders, mechanics, and cops that bikes are obnoxiously loud and nothing really needs to be done about it. Kind of a self perpetuating problem.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Any thoughts on how long a bike should be allowed to sit before it's time to sell it or part it out? My KLR might see a few hours of riding every 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Any thoughts on how long a bike should be allowed to sit before it's time to sell it or part it out? My KLR might see a few hours of riding every 2 weeks.

A few hours of riding every two weeks is well more than the average Harley. If you're running it enough that it cranks and the fuel stays good you're fine.

Of course if you're at that point where you're tired of it and looking for a change, you'll know it.