Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

TontoCorazon posted:

Sorry if its been discussed before but is there any good roms out there for the Tmo Samsung Galaxy SIII?

Cyanogen and stock are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Cyanogen and stock are the best.

Thanks, any stock in particular?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

I'm running PreludeDrew (Evervolv)'s current ICS build, 2.2.0a2 and so far don't have any major problems to report. 4G is a no-go and video records at a low framerate, other than that everything works fine. No crashes, random reboots, etc. I've been on his ICS since April and love it.

Unfortunately he's shifted all development to JB, and his current JB ROM seems to have some GPU driver issues and has no working camera at all in my experience (though some claim it works.

In a pleasantly surprising follow-up, the JB builds are now pretty much as usable as ICS is/was. Main camera live preview is sometimes weird (looks like there's an interlaced overlay when this happens), though it doesn't affect actual photos and rotating the view seem to fix it. FFC and WiMax are still no-gos, but those are just as irrelevant to me as they were on ICS.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Hello folks,

I am interested in rooting and trying out CM10 on my AT&T Galaxy S3.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_(AT%26T):_Full_Update_Guide

I was going to use that guide to get me there. I am curious, if I root and install a custom recovery loader, etc, new ROM, will I be able to ever go back to a completely stock phone and stock loader, in case something happens to the phone where I need to take it in for service? Kind of like on an iPhone where you can just reinstall iOS and be good to go?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes, you should be able to flash to a stock ROM using Odin or whatever if you run into problems. The phone does have something that will set a flag if it detects that someone has flashed a new ROM, so keep that in mind if case something happens to the phone and you want to flash everything back to stock to get under warranty. There are ways around it on the XDA forums but it is probably easier just to assume that your warranty will be void as soon as you start flashing things.

I just got an ATT SGIII a couple days ago and will probably look at putting CM10 on it sometime soon since the sheer amount of bloatware is already making me crazy. Let me know how it goes.

e: The last page talks about warranties and flash counters so you should look at that. But yeah, you should be able to get back to stock pretty easily if you want to.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 30, 2012

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Anyone who uses better battery stats have any idea what DirectTrack is? Its been preventing my phone from going in to deep sleep for a few days now. I'm running CM10 nightly from 9/26 on an SG3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bobert51 posted:

Anyone who uses better battery stats have any idea what DirectTrack is? Its been preventing my phone from going in to deep sleep for a few days now. I'm running CM10 nightly from 9/26 on an SG3
It's an adware platform. Some app you have uses it.

Also, you should try this new service called "Google" (pronounced "goo", like the sticky stuff, then "gull", like the bird). You can type in anything you'd like to know more about and it will give a list of links to things that might be relevant to what you typed. When you come across something you don't know, like in this case "DirectTrack", you can just type those words into the box in the center of the screen. I did that and the very first link was something that explained all of this and more.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So if I want to go from stock ATT SG3 to CM10 without tripping the counter is this the best way to do it?

1) Odin the rooted stock version on the XDA forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426)

2) Install CWM

3) Have CWM app install the nightly CM10 build

Or am I missing a step here? For reference I'm coming from the first Galaxy S which had its share of problems but was incredibly easy to flash stuff to.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So I'm trying to figure out how to root my AT&T SGS2 that I've updated to ICS, but the guides are a little, uh, daunting and don't really seem to explain things well (to me). The ones for rooting it originally do, but I don't know if ICS will gently caress it up!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

The Mattybee posted:

So I'm trying to figure out how to root my AT&T SGS2 that I've updated to ICS, but the guides are a little, uh, daunting and don't really seem to explain things well (to me). The ones for rooting it originally do, but I don't know if ICS will gently caress it up!

Grab the rooted stock image from here and flash it with Odin or Heimdall. Avoid formatting any partitions from the recovery menu in the process. You should be able to flash and have it work without wiping anything, but it's worth noting.

Once you've verified that it's working you'll want to flash a new kernel in case you ever need to wipe a partition, since Samsung kernels have a bug which will damage the flash memory during the formatting process.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

LastInLine posted:

It's an adware platform. Some app you have uses it.

Also, you should try this new service called "Google" (pronounced "goo", like the sticky stuff, then "gull", like the bird). You can type in anything you'd like to know more about and it will give a list of links to things that might be relevant to what you typed. When you come across something you don't know, like in this case "DirectTrack", you can just type those words into the box in the center of the screen. I did that and the very first link was something that explained all of this and more.

Ah! Thank you, that website clears everything up! Can I buy you a forums upgrade? Or if you just give me your paypal I'll send you some cash. Anything I can do to repay your kindness, just let me know.

E: It appears that the DirectTrack is a bug with CM10 d2vzw builds after 10/23. Despite googling all over the place I wasn't able to find any relevant information about it in search results, but after poking around on XDA it appears to be a pretty wide spread issue. Anyone else having this issue, don't bother with the website linked above, not related to this problem.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 1, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bobert51 posted:

Ah! Thank you, that website clears everything up! Can I buy you a forums upgrade? Or if you just give me your paypal I'll send you some cash. Anything I can do to repay your kindness, just let me know.

E: It appears that the DirectTrack is a bug with CM10 d2vzw builds after 10/23. Despite googling all over the place I wasn't able to find any relevant information about it in search results, but after poking around on XDA it appears to be a pretty wide spread issue. Anyone else having this issue, don't bother with the website linked above, not related to this problem.
DirectTrack is however an analytics and ad-serving platform for many services, including Android. Here is a trade piece talking about how Astro uses DirectTrack for its ad-serving. Interesting to note in the piece is that all apps you install via Astro as well as any downloads initiated by Astro are also sent back to DirectTrack for incorporation into your advertising. (As good a reason as any to uninstall Astro in my view.)

In any case the descriptions of the problems in the xda thread seem to indicate that CM10's DirectTrack and DirectTrack the analytics firm are unrelated (especially since the wakelocks are audio-related even when using Google's Play Music and I'd consider it unlikely that Google is using someone else's analytics). It appears to be an unfortunate naming coincidence in what CM's audio layer is calling a certain process as evidenced by three commits from 25th:

Change I3434bfdf: audioflinger: Add support for post proc effects in Direct Track
Change I4d931bfa: libhardware: Add new APIs to support effects with DirectTrack
Change Iafa7611f: libhardware_legacy: Add APIs to support effects with DirectTrack

I haven't noticed the same since those commits (maguro) but it would be nice to know if other SGS3 variants are seeing the same thing. It might be wise to roll back to pre-9/25 until the issue gets resolved.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Thanks for jinxing me. Now directtrack is murdering my battery.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I'm using a rooted Nexus 7 with Nova Launcher, and was hoping I could find a command with ROM Toolbox or something to toggle the auto-rotation setting. I want to be able to link it to the rotate-clockwise/counterclockwise gesture as a way to lock/unlock the homescreen rotation. I find I have issues with leaving auto-rotate on all the time and pulling down the notification bar seems clunky for that purpose. Any ideas?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks for jinxing me. Now directtrack is murdering my battery.

Fwiw, it hasn't happened yet on the 10-1 nightly, but I (obviously) haven't been running it very long. CM built in updater is a cool feature though.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is there a way of changing how CM10 or Apollo uses a single button inline remote?

I want it to work like an iPhone, one press pauses music, two skips forward, three skips back. As it stands I can only pause.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Anyone still using a rooted Evo 4g?

Person im staying with has one, And its awful on gingerbread. Any GOOD ICS/JB roms that are honest daily drivers? 4G totally not an issue because well, wimax.

Miui Looked promising, And its ok looking and I guess it would be ok. Its just anything but gingerbread would be so much better.

Id really like something ASOP as possible, is CM kinda "the" way to go with the old evo? Because even stock gingerbread is ugly as poo poo, and we're trying to lay off the skins and poo poo this time around. And gently caress gingerbread.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the easiest way to root an LTE Gnex running 4.1?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dickeye posted:

What's the easiest way to root an LTE Gnex running 4.1?

Probably Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit. It will install SuperSU so if you want to switch to Superuser, you'll have to install Superuser, give it root permission, then get some kind of root browser and remove SuperSU.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

Any GOOD ICS/JB roms that are honest daily drivers?
Id really like something ASOP as possible, is CM kinda "the" way to go with the old evo?

No.

Yes.

Use a stock rooted rom or Cm7.X. If it's that god awful then pay for a new phone for them, until that point quit bitching about how awful gingerbread is. It's perfectly serviceable on an older device. Any ICS rom will likely be plauged with the same issues that long have been issues on the G2 until very recently. Ergo nonfunctional video recording, graphical glitches, retention of app root privileges, and so on.

Expecting any of the latest AOSP editions to function on older devices from the Evo/Incredible/G2 era without extremely dedicated and talented developers to write kernel code and component interface code from scratch is asinine. I literally only got onto ICS in the last month thanks to such talented developers. However the base code for CDMA radios is likely to never entirely exist.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 2, 2012

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MC Hawking posted:

No.

Yes.

Use a stock rooted rom or Cm7.X. If it's that god awful then pay for a new phone for them, until that point quit bitching about how awful gingerbread is. It's perfectly serviceable on an older device. Any ICS rom will likely be plauged with the same issues that long have been issues on the G2 until very recently. Ergo nonfunctional video recording, graphical glitches, retention of app root privileges, and so on.

Expecting any of the latest AOSP editions to function on older devices from the Evo/Incredible/G2 era without extremely dedicated and talented developers to write kernel code and component interface code from scratch is asinine. I literally only got onto ICS in the last month thanks to such talented developers. However the base code for CDMA radios is likely to never entirely exist.

I totally can see this phone running a similar build to the nexus S considering how similar hardware is on them.

Video recording is non issue, we have other poo poo to do that with.
4G means nothing to her.

gently caress it, Maybe ill just put CM on it and see if she likes it. Least I know itll be decent.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Put CM7 on it. The Nexus S and the Evo 4g are completely different devices in far to many ways for them to be compatible in the software department. At the most basic, you have a totally different SoC powering each. So no, there is no way for them to "run a similar build" since they're completely different phones in nearly every way. Please refer yourself to the following stats pages courtesy of GSM Arena

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_evo_4g-3427.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s_4g-3884.php

Your statement would be more accurate if you were talking about the Captivate/ (GSM)Nexus S.

Edit: Oh I just remembered something. GPS on Cm7 is somewhat wacky. A buddy of mine has the Evo and has experienced a lot of issues over time with GPS being spotty as gently caress. Keep a flashable file of the latest rooted OTA on the SD card in the event you have to flash it to re-establish EFS data.

You can find many of the roms you'll need here and here

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 2, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Probably Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit. It will install SuperSU so if you want to switch to Superuser, you'll have to install Superuser, give it root permission, then get some kind of root browser and remove SuperSU.

He wouldn't have to remove SuperSU though, right? Whatever one is installed last takes precedence and the other does nothing? Also, isn't SuperSU superior to Superuser?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He wouldn't have to remove SuperSU though, right? Whatever one is installed last takes precedence and the other does nothing? Also, isn't SuperSU superior to Superuser?
Well you have to remove the binary and it would be a good idea to remove it just in case they conflict.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Or just flash another ROM, which is the more likely scenario

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The toolkit doesn't list JO03O as an option, just JO03H. Will it still work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dickeye posted:

The toolkit doesn't list JO03O as an option, just JO03H. Will it still work?
Stock image is supposed to be JRO03O according to Google. Are you sure you selected Toro as your device?

I know the binaries for H were made available but I believe that's for Crespo, Crespo4G, and Wingray.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MC Hawking posted:

Put CM7 on it. The Nexus S and the Evo 4g are completely different devices in far to many ways for them to be compatible in the software department. At the most basic, you have a totally different SoC powering each. So no, there is no way for them to "run a similar build" since they're completely different phones in nearly every way. Please refer yourself to the following stats pages courtesy of GSM Arena

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_evo_4g-3427.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s_4g-3884.php

Your statement would be more accurate if you were talking about the Captivate/ (GSM)Nexus S.

Edit: Oh I just remembered something. GPS on Cm7 is somewhat wacky. A buddy of mine has the Evo and has experienced a lot of issues over time with GPS being spotty as gently caress. Keep a flashable file of the latest rooted OTA on the SD card in the event you have to flash it to re-establish EFS data.

You can find many of the roms you'll need here and here

Obviously internal hardware is different. I more ment the phone had similar enough powered hardware. But yeah we've decided on cm. She's on the newest ota though and in considering saying gently caress it and buy a used phone. Its just not worth the hoops to root and poo poo. Unless there's some fancy 1 click solution that works these days.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Try UnrEVOked or REVOlutionary

http://revolutionary.io/

I had good luck with the latter on a friends evo a while back. Not sure if it's any good on the latest OTA though.

quote:

HTC EVO 4G, running radio baseband versions:

Supports those.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

EbolaIvory posted:

Anyone still using a rooted Evo 4g?

Person im staying with has one, And its awful on gingerbread. Any GOOD ICS/JB roms that are honest daily drivers? 4G totally not an issue because well, wimax.

Miui Looked promising, And its ok looking and I guess it would be ok. Its just anything but gingerbread would be so much better.

Id really like something ASOP as possible, is CM kinda "the" way to go with the old evo? Because even stock gingerbread is ugly as poo poo, and we're trying to lay off the skins and poo poo this time around. And gently caress gingerbread.

CM7 is my daily driver, and it is very very solid for me. So solid that I am not upgrading my phone even though I have my upgrade available, waiting for the next google phone release cycle. I get issues with maps/gps occasionally, but it usually arises from me leaving maps open with the screen on for a long period of time (plugged in in the car for example). It doesnt happen if I am using navigation. I personally think it is an overheating issue, but YMMV.

Everything else works well as far as I can tell, I bought a new battery a few months ago and the battery life is finally back to 1 charge/day.

Also a question about my wife's GS3:

Could be the wrong thread, but the constant notifications from roaming guard, and "select input method" is a persistent ICS/JB feature, and not a result of samsung touchwiz, correct?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MC Hawking posted:

Try UnrEVOked or REVOlutionary

http://revolutionary.io/

I had good luck with the latter on a friends evo a while back. Not sure if it's any good on the latest OTA though.

Supports those.

I'll see if those work. Hboot is 2.18 or whatever on hers so its updated as far as it can get.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Then that won't work. Unfortunately I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the state of one click root methods for the Evo beyond rEVO so I apologize for my lack of ability to help beyond this point. It might take some time but dig around and let us know what you find!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

EbolaIvory posted:

I'll see if those work. Hboot is 2.18 or whatever on hers so its updated as far as it can get.

Just use the official HTC unlock here

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Just use the official HTC unlock here

Just FYI this won't give you S-off but for ROM flashing it works great. I've been using the latest CM7 nightlies and they're more than stable.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I tried flashing the latest CM10 nightly for my gsm Nexus, it basically spent 40min spinning the cyanogen logo on boot. Is there a simple fix for that or should I just flash back to my backup?

E: Ahh I had forgotten to format the cache/data stuff before the flash. It works now :P

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 2, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've got an ATT skyrocket SGH I727.

I'm running 4.0.3
Basband I727UCLD2

Sky ICS 4.2D-8

I want to wipe my device and start with a newer rom and a new gmail account.

I went on XDA Dev to try and find what I should move to and wanted to loving shoot myself after 15 minutes.

I want a rom where everything works and I can still have root and decent battery life.

Help me all knowing goons.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So are their really no apps for Android that can query a battery for load cycles, age, and actual maximum mAh capacity?

All the battery apps seem to display info obtained from the OS, and not the battery hardware directly.

One of the neat things I like on MacBooks, iOS devices, and some PC Laptops is the ability to query the battery hardware directly to give me info on design capacity, current capacity, load cycles, etc.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Also a question about my wife's GS3:

Could be the wrong thread, but the constant notifications from roaming guard, and "select input method" is a persistent ICS/JB feature, and not a result of samsung touchwiz, correct?

I think the roam guard thing might be carrier specific, I've never seen it on T-Mobile or Verizon SGS3. But yes the select input notification is just the way things are with ICS and beyond.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I'm gonna flash CM onto my GSM Gnex as I've had it for a while now and I feel like tinkering with it.

Should I go with the nightly builds? I'm not sure I'll be bothered enough to flash a new rom every night unless there's an automated way to do it (I have no idea), so is it worth me just going with the stable or experimental builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

tomm posted:

I'm gonna flash CM onto my GSM Gnex as I've had it for a while now and I feel like tinkering with it.

Should I go with the nightly builds? I'm not sure I'll be bothered enough to flash a new rom every night unless there's an automated way to do it (I have no idea), so is it worth me just going with the stable or experimental builds?

My GSM GNex is running the M1 Experimental version and I love it. My TF201 doesn't have any Monthly builds yet, and is perfectly stable on a nightly from 9/30. I'd go with either the M1, wait for M2, or the latest nightly. Then just update with each M release, or grab a new nightly once every week or two.

One thing you have to understand about CM's nightlies are that their definition of Nightly is far above and beyond what even most Release Candidate builds are. That and the fact they're already built on top of a stable ASOP build, there isn't much risk in running a nightly. They say things "might break" and that nightlies are "experimental" and untested, but really the only things that aren't stable are the features that CM adds on top of the default JB, but even those I've rarely had any issues with.