Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

izationalizer posted:

Excellent debut from my tied-for-my-favorite guitarist ever. Nice. A reissue, I assume?

Yeah that's a reissue but here are a couple original pressings and a reissue of America I got a couple years ago.

I have pretty solid collection of Kottke records too, all original

Here's another gem, an original pressing of volunteers by Jefferson Airplane signed by Jorma and Jack to my dad, I actually got it signed for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

abraham linksys posted:

I've outgrown my single plastic crate full of records, and I'd like to upgrade to some proper storage. I was going to get the Ikea Kallax (the new Expedit replacement), but all of the shelves in the series require wall-mounting, and I don't think my landlord would appreciate that. Anyone have good, compact storage ideas that don't require wall-mounting?

I use a simple wooden bookshelf thingy, it's like 1x3 cubes, my small collection fits perfectly in it, and they're only like $15 at craft stores.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

abraham linksys posted:

I've outgrown my single plastic crate full of records, and I'd like to upgrade to some proper storage. I was going to get the Ikea Kallax (the new Expedit replacement), but all of the shelves in the series require wall-mounting, and I don't think my landlord would appreciate that. Anyone have good, compact storage ideas that don't require wall-mounting?

Hopping on the Ikea Kallax bandwagon. Here's my 2x2. It works out pretty well and is only 35 bucks.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

HollisBrown posted:

Fahey/Kottke/Jefferson Airplane

Nice! I have 6-7 OG Fahey records, but I'm always on the hunt for more. And I have zero Kottke, which is a travesty; I should at least already own the album that has "Vaseline Machine Gun" on it (that's the black and white one, right?). Also, that Fahey Christmas record is tied for my favorite Christmas record of all time, along with that Sonics/Wailers/Galaxies thing. Totally different vibes on each record, but both are essential, IMHO.

*Very* nice Jefferson Airplane record, too! I don't have much in the way of autographs, although I do have a couple pretty cool ones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

izationalizer posted:

Nice! I have 6-7 OG Fahey records, but I'm always on the hunt for more. And I have zero Kottke, which is a travesty; I should at least already own the album that has "Vaseline Machine Gun" on it (that's the black and white one, right?). Also, that Fahey Christmas record is tied for my favorite Christmas record of all time, along with that Sonics/Wailers/Galaxies thing. Totally different vibes on each record, but both are essential, IMHO.

*Very* nice Jefferson Airplane record, too! I don't have much in the way of autographs, although I do have a couple pretty cool ones.

I got my copy of Fear of Music signed by David Byrne. It's my only signed record (though I do have various autographs from people of varying levels of fame).

The poster under the record is also signed by both of those people. I lucked out that night. Also Annie Clark is tiny.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

HollisBrown posted:

I'm late to the party but here's my newest score:

Blind Joe Death by John Fahey

And here's my current setup:

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't heard of him before, and I'm very glad I know him now.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't heard of him before, and I'm very glad I know him now.

You're supremely welcome, I grew up listening to Fahey and I take every opportunity I can to turn people onto him. He's one of the most evocative musicians of all time, also a fantastic writer.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

You're supremely welcome, I grew up listening to Fahey and I take every opportunity I can to turn people onto him. He's one of the most evocative musicians of all time, also a fantastic writer.

It's one of those revelatory moments, like when I discovered Fela Kuti.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

If only Fela Kuti's Afrodisiac wasn't so drat expensive. It's a fantastic album, and it's approved by Brian Eno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABl5cVKJhM

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Wronkos posted:

If only Fela Kuti's Afrodisiac wasn't so drat expensive. It's a fantastic album, and it's approved by Brian Eno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABl5cVKJhM

Still expensive, but they release the vol #3 box set tomorrow that has Afrodisiac and Zombie (among other records) for $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Box-Set-Curated-Brian-Eno/dp/B00MUUP9AY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Still expensive, but they release the vol #3 box set tomorrow that has Afrodisiac and Zombie (among other records) for $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Box-Set-Curated-Brian-Eno/dp/B00MUUP9AY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=

Awesome, I had no idea! These box sets are great; I have #1 and #2 and the quality of the pressings as well as the sourcing of the full-size artwork (finding even medium-res images on Google for my digital copies is near impossible) is impressive. Glad to finally see Shakara and Zombie in there, which were my two entry portals to Fela and which were noticeably absent (to me) from the first two box sets.

If I'd known this was coming so soon, I wouldn't have just spent $100 on MoFi Grateful Dead reissues. ...Or not.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, thanks a lot for mentioning that; now I have an excuse for buying another box set :downs:

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Preordered that new Earth album about two months ago, but I've been gone for a while so I have yet to pick it up. Getting it this week, pretty sure it's the bronze pressing.
Anyone else grab it? How's the quality on it? I'd look through the posts but I missed out on a good 17 pages and that's a lot of reading I don't have time for.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
OK, so this doesn't have anything to do with vinyl, per se, but you guys are smart and I figured you might know. Anyway, a friend just asked me about "expensive" cables and speaker wire, and it occurred to me that I really don't know much about the topic. I've always just used cheap (albeit gold-plated) cables from Radio Shack, and my speaker wire, while pretty thick, isn't particularly high-end. Has anyone compared nice cables and/or speaker wire to cheap ones? Does it make a big difference in sound quality? If so, I might have to invest in some higher-end stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

izationalizer posted:

OK, so this doesn't have anything to do with vinyl, per se, but you guys are smart and I figured you might know. Anyway, a friend just asked me about "expensive" cables and speaker wire, and it occurred to me that I really don't know much about the topic. I've always just used cheap (albeit gold-plated) cables from Radio Shack, and my speaker wire, while pretty thick, isn't particularly high-end. Has anyone compared nice cables and/or speaker wire to cheap ones? Does it make a big difference in sound quality? If so, I might have to invest in some higher-end stuff.

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Thanks for this, fuckin' hilarious! Although to be fair, most people who care about this sort of thing say that Monster cables are mediocre and waaay overpriced.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

izationalizer posted:

Thanks for this, fuckin' hilarious! Although to be fair, most people who care about this sort of thing say that Monster cables are mediocre and waaay overpriced.

It's all just copper wire though. Adding fancy wrap and filling it with sand doesn't change anything. I don't even know what gold plating does. My guess is nothing.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It's all just copper wire though. Adding fancy wrap and filling it with sand doesn't change anything. I don't even know what gold plating does. My guess is nothing.

Gold conducts better than copper, but if it's used on connectors it tends to wear off and not do anything. Also putting it on the connector when the rest is copper doesn't really do anything as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

keyboard vomit posted:

Gold conducts better than copper, but if it's used on connectors it tends to wear off and not do anything. Also putting it on the connector when the rest is copper doesn't really do anything as well.

I'm not convinced a solid gold interconnect would sound better in a double blind test. My money is on no.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I'm not convinced a solid gold interconnect would sound better in a double blind test. My money is on no.

Definitely not, the only difference would be less resistance in the wire itself. There's nothing that would make the signal any different.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

keyboard vomit posted:

Copper actually conducts better than gold, but gold is advantageous for connectors because it doesn't oxidize. As a conductor, silver is better than both, but only by a little bit over copper.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So does this mean I shouldn't get those gold plated wall sockets?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I can understand gold plating for the simple reason it doesn't oxidize, as long as you aren't constantly plugging and unplugging the coating wouldn't really wear off. Then again if you get to that point just use steel wool. You can be sure none of the internal wiring of any consumer electronics are gold tipped.

Everything beyond that is pure bullshit though, buy whatever is cheap and doesn't feel like it'll fall apart.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone knows the main way to get your system sounding better is to add a $10,000 power cable.

(This is what audiophiles actually believe).

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Thanks for the input, fellas! I suspected that it was mostly (or entirely) just snake oil--which is why I never really considered upgrading my cheap ones--but it's good to hear others' opinions, too.

EL BROMANCE posted:

$10,000 power cable.

Just $10,000? Pfft.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Everyone knows the main way to get your system sounding better is to add a $10,000 power cable.

(This is what audiophiles actually believe).

Don't forget your $100,000 turntable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I had a discouraging experience today. Went to an antique store that had a bunch of crates of LPs in the back room. It's one of the most incredible collections of folk music I've ever seen, and a really good collection of blues, 60's rock and a little bit of jazz. Everything for a buck a record.

And most of it needs to be thrown away. I was passing up on OG Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf records because I was afraid to bring them into my house. Covered in mold, some of it looking fire damaged.

I still bought 40 records from the ones that were in decent (read: not going to kill me) shape. Score so far seems to be Woodie Guthrie's Talking Dust Bowl 10" on Folkways. I got a lot of Folkways records. A lot of Allen Lomax stuff. A still-sealed Issac Hayes record, even!

I'll post some photos as I go through. I might even go back and look for more, but I was having trouble breathing by the end of it. What a loss. The guy running the store said he had to already throw out some of it.

Edit: Joao and his Bossa Kings - Cool Samba from 1962 appears to be very collectible, too. And it's in good shape.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 2, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Don't gently caress around with mold. I recently had to go through two rounds of antibiotics for a throat problem caused by a big stash of moldy/mildewed 45s. If you're really going to dig through it and kick up a bunch of water damage mold then put a mask on. Serious, some busted Cadet lps ain't worth legionaries disease.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JehovahsWetness posted:

Don't gently caress around with mold. I recently had to go through two rounds of antibiotics for a throat problem caused by a big stash of moldy/mildewed 45s. If you're really going to dig through it and kick up a bunch of water damage mold then put a mask on. Serious, some busted Cadet lps ain't worth legionaries disease.

I've got a respirator at home for cleaning them off. I didn't touch the worst boxes.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

The Vinyl Thread - Bring a gas mask

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Vinyl thread meets Metro 2033 thread, finally!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bought like 20 records the past few days, and I'm getting to the sad point where I can't remember what I have at home versus what's being sold

I did get an awesome 6 LP Reader's Digest set of 30s and 40s swing music though. Total Falloutcore.

Moldtalk though I did get a bunch of old 78s and a giant old 40s radio/phonograph that was my great-grandmothers a while back, and some of the 78s were in decent shape but oh man the moldy ones were scary as gently caress.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 3, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think when you've gotten to the point where you might actually be risking your life, you've taken a hobby too far.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't consider it a good enough hobby if you are not risking your life at some point

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

I don't consider it a good enough hobby if you are not risking your life at some point

I've never been in the situation where I needed a respirator, but I do have a lot of old records, old books, and old comic books and have often wondered if I'm building myself a nest of mold spores.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

3dou posted:

Don't forget your $100,000 turntable.

Who even ARE these people? If you like records enough to drop some serious scrilla on a turntable, isn't it likely that you know enough about records to know that you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns in terms increased audio quality per dollar spent?

After all, most people dig their loving records out of a moldy bargain bin...

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Friday night, popped a bottle of red wine and puttin on these fine records with the wife:

Check you boners out later.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My wife had gall bladder surgery yesterday so no sexy time record spinning for a while.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Defleshed posted:

Who even ARE these people? If you like records enough to drop some serious scrilla on a turntable, isn't it likely that you know enough about records to know that you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns in terms increased audio quality per dollar spent?

After all, most people dig their loving records out of a moldy bargain bin...

Some people have way more money than sense. Also, when you're throwing down that kind of money, it's less about the music and more about it being a status symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Managed to snag my favorite Prince record today and my current favorite Scott Walker record. I used to be pretty bored by Scott 3, but the more I listen to the syrupy orchestration the more I like it.