Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yoshifan823 posted:

If I ran marketing for Bad Moms, I would be furious that Fergie released a single called MILF $ a week after my final trailer was released. Like, "I wanna kill Fergie" furious.

They can still cut new trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
This is a very good fan trailer.

And I must share it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGV6FgAu3Y

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't like the choice of music and the end sucks but GODDAMN does that movie still look amazing decades later.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a really good cut and yeah, 2001 could easily be a contemporary movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason the latest Ghostbusters commercial decided to just go ahead and show the Aykroyd cameo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason the latest Ghostbusters commercial decided to just go ahead and show the Aykroyd cameo.

They don't give a poo poo about the movie experience itself, they just want to get you in seats.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm a little disturbed that the trailer shown over here (Netherlands) seems to avoid showing Leslie Jones as much as possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davidspackage posted:

I'm a little disturbed that the trailer shown over here (Netherlands) seems to avoid showing Leslie Jones as much as possible.

Don't be. From what I've seen Leslie Jones is going to wish the movie avoided showing her more.

It says a lot about GB2016 that Gamesradar are sucking its metaphorical dick multiple times a day and telling us how wrong the haters were, but their own reviewer only gave it 3/5.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jedit posted:

Don't be. From what I've seen Leslie Jones is going to wish the movie avoided showing her more.

It says a lot about GB2016 that Gamesradar are sucking its metaphorical dick multiple times a day and telling us how wrong the haters were, but their own reviewer only gave it 3/5.

Ah yes, Gamesradar, home of all important movie reviews.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GonSmithe posted:

Ah yes, Gamesradar, home of all important movie reviews.

Gamesradar are now the web outlet for Future Publishing's Total Film and SFX magazines, among others.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm not really planning on seeing Ghostbusters but reviews have been pretty good and I'm sure there are other places to complain about it

Also I've never heard of TotalFilm and it sounds really great

quote:

The Total Film news section, providing details on upcoming films, includes first look photos, on-set visits and exclusive "sneak peeks". Regular features include: Ever Met Tom Cruise? where a behind the scenes person is interviewed, e.g. a stuntwoman or a casting director; You Talkin' To Me? where stars answer questions posed as famous film quotes and Red Light, Green Light for what is hot and what is not in movieland.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

morestuff posted:

Also I've never heard of TotalFilm and it sounds really great

To be fair, the value of individual contributors can overpower lovely page-view gimmicks. I can say "gently caress that site, sounds like a lot of bullshit," but I still visit Hitfix because I like Drew McWeeny and Alan Sepinwall, and it's still somehow possible to read their articles over their lovely site design and emphasis on memory-monster video embeds, so...

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ghostbusters is fine, not great but okay and also not terrible. Neither side wins. Nobody will care in a month. Or until the next one comes out!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGvTRG-iud8

It's a shame he's crazy, Gibson feels like the best possible fit for the Taken riffs everyone's doing these days. These one looks surprisingly ok, it's directed by the French guy who did the Mesrine movies with Vincent Cassel a few years back

DivisionPost posted:

To be fair, the value of individual contributors can overpower lovely page-view gimmicks. I can say "gently caress that site, sounds like a lot of bullshit," but I still visit Hitfix because I like Drew McWeeny and Alan Sepinwall, and it's still somehow possible to read their articles over their lovely site design and emphasis on memory-monster video embeds, so...

Yeah, I mostly just thought the overwritten PR talk was funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

morestuff posted:

I'm not really planning on seeing Ghostbusters but reviews have been pretty good

no they haven't lmao

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Groovelord Neato posted:

no they haven't lmao

"Pretty good" is pretty much the perfect description of the reviews it is getting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's 50 percent with top critics.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Groovelord Neato posted:

no they haven't lmao

"Top Critics."

But regardless even reading the top critics reviews... not that many of them slam it. Even their critiques seem to be "pretty good but ultimately pointless given the franchise."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
9 out of 10 Dentists.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Knowing Netherlands I can't say I'm entirely surprised about that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like that this, of all movies, was the one to finally make nerds realize the RT number is useless and they have to actually read the reviews.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We should give up on those reviews for now. I think we will only be able to value Ghostsbusters 2016 for it's true worth ten years for now, when we'll watch the movie while taking a red-eye flight with a budget airline. Yup.

Alhazred posted:

Knowing Netherlands I can't say I'm entirely surprised about that.

drat, who let the cat out of the bag? Our whole shtick is that we pretend to be the most liberal country in the world but that we're secretly a bunch of big racists. Guess we'll need a new gimmick...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's not useless it is very useful, just not for the reason people seem to think. Zootopia is 98% not bad. It wasn't in my top ten animated movies in the last five years but not bad. It's basically best used for ensuring you won't see a stinker.

It's great for identifying truly lovely films coming in at 11% or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
98% for "not bad" seems like the definition of useless. The majority of films are somewhere around "not bad". The word for that is "average".

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

RT's helpful for identifying divisive films, I usually really like stuff I see that's marked 50%.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Wait youre telling me this website wont guarantee that ill like a movie???

That even though critics generally like it, tastes differ???

Ps zootopia was dull as gently caress

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mierenneuker posted:

drat, who let the cat out of the bag? Our whole shtick is that we pretend to be the most liberal country in the world but that we're secretly a bunch of big racists. Guess we'll need a new gimmick...
Zwarte Piet blow the whole thing wide open.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Zwarte Piet blow the whole thing wide open.

I guess that's why they didn't have Patty in the ads, they would have thought it was a Xmas movie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ammanas posted:

zootopia was dull as gently caress

agreed.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

98% for "not bad" seems like the definition of useless. The majority of films are somewhere around "not bad". The word for that is "average".
Most movies are terrible. You just don't hear about them because they're so god awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lmzJ9g2BA
Trailer for Rebirth, a movie premiering on Netflix this Friday. Looks pretty interesting and stars the stoner guy from Cabin in the Woods in an actually serious part. Although I'm not sure I buy him and Adam Goldberg being around the same age.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

It's a shame he's crazy, Gibson feels like the best possible fit for the Taken riffs everyone's doing these days.

yeah, because he's crazy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
RT fails movies like Ghostbusters because it pretty much takes reviews as either good (fresh) or not good (rotten) with nothing in between so stuff that is 3 stars out of 5 can just as easily be posted as "rotten" throwing the whole thing out of curve. This is why you will get idiots saying "see even the critics didn't like it and that is why it is rotten on RT" without giving it much thought.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Trailer for Rebirth, a movie premiering on Netflix this Friday. Looks pretty interesting and stars the stoner guy from Cabin in the Woods in an actually serious part. Although I'm not sure I buy him and Adam Goldberg being around the same age.

I know :thejoke: but I love how they ripped off the graphics from those hilarious Scientology videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j3cG-Iu6Q

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Madkal posted:

RT fails movies like Ghostbusters because it pretty much takes reviews as either good (fresh) or not good (rotten) with nothing in between so stuff that is 3 stars out of 5 can just as easily be posted as "rotten" throwing the whole thing out of curve. This is why you will get idiots saying "see even the critics didn't like it and that is why it is rotten on RT" without giving it much thought.

it usually works the other way tho?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Groovelord Neato posted:

it usually works the other way tho?

Yes. If a movie gets a 3/5, that would be a fresh rating.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I know :thejoke: but I love how they ripped off the graphics from those hilarious Scientology videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j3cG-Iu6Q

There's no couching it either. Straight up imitation. They even got the glazed look of fanaticism down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God, I love it when you can see where people took things directly from poo poo like that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I'm getting a kind of The Game vibe from that. Looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone needs to tell the head of Ubisoft European Operations about things you should and should not say when pumping poo poo loads of money into a movie campaign.

‘Assassin’s Creed’ Movie Won’t Make Money, Ubisoft Chief Says

:ughh:

• Locked thread