Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, did he end up admitting the SA mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

My brother used to work at an art school and he was in charge of admitting foreign students, checking their credentials, etc. He also read the application letters. There was a prospective student from a country in West-Africa who, in his cover letter, thoughtfully included he did volunteer work with "depraved communities". Bro had a sensible chuckle about that one.

my youth pastor made the same mistake

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Miss Navajo 2021: Niagara Rockbridge https://www.instagram.com/niagara_rockbridge/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The name suits her. And I don't mean that as a joke or insult or anything.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Al Kaline is a Baseball Hall of Famer. He is not a Batman villain with a gun that shoots ammonia.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Manuel Steele

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Danielle Steel's alter ego

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Christ, a new co-worker's children are named Avalon, Serenity, and Cydonis. Her hobbies include anime and cosplay, shocking, I know.

Marcade has a new favorite as of 21:19 on May 21, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Fanny Chambers Gooch Iglehart

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wow, Fanny AND Gooch. Such coverage.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Her parents knew what they were doing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Last time I googled it, I read that the name Fanny actually originated in England itself, and was popularized there in the 18th century. But the word refers to genitals in British slang. I am having trouble reconciling these two claims.

I wouldn't say Fanny is a particularly common name in Flanders, I think that's more of a francophone thing (one of my former coworkers from Wallonia was named Fanny), but there is a character in one of the longest-running Flemish comic book series who is called that. Suffice it to say it does not have the same connotations over here.

She is, however, and of course, a blonde teenager with a perfect figure who is constantly put into revealing outfits for contrived reasons. This is a comic for children. I never thought about it lol

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

quote:

Fanny is a feminine given name. Its origins include diminutives of the French name Frances meaning "free one", and of the name "Estefanía", a Spanish version of Stephanie, meaning "crown". [citation needed]

The popularity of the name has been steadily declining since the end of the 19th century.[1] In British English, fanny has been a slang term for vagina or vulva since the 1830s. In American English, fanny is a slang term for the buttocks in use since World War I.[2] In New Zealand, the Registrar of Births will no longer accept the name for a baby's birth certificate.[3]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jorma means wang
Urpo means idiot
Antti coupled with any surname beginning with Hi- spoonerizes into the thing Hercule Poirot is allergic to
and yet these names are quite common.

Just because something is a bad word doesn't mean people don't hoist it on their kids as a name.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I posted about it in the PYF Historical Facts, but I think it merits posting here:

The East India Company's first vessel was called the Scourge of Malice.

Which they then renamed the Red Dragon.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Andromeda Dunker

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Hannah Barefoot

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Proudfee-!

Oh.

Nevermind.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Not sure if this is cool or bad, Dewey Butterfield.

E: In googling the name, someone by that name was arrested for child sex crimes, so gonna go with bad on this one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There is a model named Lucky Blue Smith. His sisters are named Cheyenne Starlie, Daisy Clementine, and Pyper America because their parents wanted to make up for them having the most basic boring last name. He has apparently also decided to do that, because his children are named Gravity Blue, Rumble Honey, Slim Easy, and Whimsy Lou.

Has Nick Cannon had any kids recently? Even Legendary Love is better than Slim Easy.

edit: apparently Elon Musk's newest twins are Strider and Azure, which proves that Grimes is most of the issue with the kids' names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Slim Easy is either a cigarette or a condom, and no-one will convince me otherwise.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Hey, it's ya boy, Skinny Penis, here to introduce the new Slim Easy line of form fitting condoms.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

edit: apparently Elon Musk's newest twins are Strider and Azure, which proves that Grimes is most of the issue with the kids' names.

They're pronounceable, but they still suck.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rumble Honey sounds like the title of a dodgily translated sidescrolling beat em up.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.ajga.org/player/asterisk-talley-1

Asterisk Talley

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Marcade posted:

Not sure if this is cool or bad, Dewey Butterfield.

E: In googling the name, someone by that name was arrested for child sex crimes, so gonna go with bad on this one.

I guess now we know the answer.

Do we Butterfield?

No, we do not.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Aristurtle Records posted:

A few years ago there was a news story about a nine year old girl in New Zealand who was made a ward of court so she could change her name from Talula does the Hula from Hawaii.

Article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7522952.stm

I like the selection of names that were allowed:

"Officials had blocked Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy and Yeah Detroit, he said, but Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay had been allowed."

In my mind those three are siblings

My first job in highschool was working at a grocery store. A super hippie lady would come in on a semi regular basis. Her kids were named Ocean, Shadow, and Dove Whisper.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I wish my name was Violence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

UwUnabomber posted:

I wish my name was Violence.

It can be! You can be called whatever you like.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Nah, the only free pass is if your parents name you Violence. Otherwise, you have to be cool enough to call yourself that, and goons aren't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://x.com/stevenperkins/status/1798744052105707644

if you don't want to click through, it is "giuseppe da homo" an immigrant arrival to ellis island

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Guy Mann's original name

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Violence is my middle name.

No, it really is. My parents were weird"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Guy Mann's original name
lol