Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Anal Papist posted:

They are filing false reports I don't know US law, but in the UK contacting the police and making a report strong enough to warrant a SWAT team knocking down a door would be enough to get you arrested especially if done maliciously or for entertainment.

It's illegal here, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

dpbjinc posted:

That didn't actually happen. That was from the National Report, which is a fake news clickbait site.

Yea I heard that some ppl think earth is round too

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I braved the gamergate hash tag and I have their list of demands. Disappointing lack of helicopter-related items.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Clitch posted:

The thing that should terrify someone about SWATing isn't the inconvenience, or the discomfort and humiliation of being ordered to the ground and handcuffed in front of an audience. It's an act that causes an innocent person's 4th Amendment Rights to be suspended by a claim of exigent circumstances.

In the video posted earlier, the guy's cuffed, frisked, and detained with no legitimate probable cause, because even an anonymous emergency call claiming an imminent threat overrides his civil rights. They take and search his phone. When he tells them they're being recorded on video, they disable the camera.

Sure, it's all a big misunderstanding, and he may think it's just a funny story to tell his youtube audience, but it's somebody fraudulently causing the suspension of what we consider a basic human right to privacy. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that scares the Hell out of me.

I don't know why but it seems that Twitter brings out the inner shitflinger really easily

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tarnop posted:

I braved the gamergate hash tag and I have their list of demands. Disappointing lack of helicopter-related items.

And a pony. They also want a pony.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tarnop posted:

I like the "social justice" stipulation, suspected that was the actual issue all along.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I'm going to need a fueled airplane with a pilot, ready to go to the country of my choosing. Additionally, I must have 2 liters of Mountain Dew, 8 family sized bags of Doritos, and 4 copies of Call of Duty.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tarnop posted:

i'm glad that the presidents of 4chan, twitter, tumblr and reddit have reached a consensus and are working together to fix game journalism

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Tarnop posted:

I know the guy who created and runs Silverstring, and it's all true. He definitely did contracted writing work on two unreleased games from completely separate indie developers. He's a conspiratorial mastermind and absolutely a lizardperson. His webs and schemes run wide and deep, and we're all playing into his ultimate game.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ardennes posted:

I like the "social justice" stipulation, suspected that was the actual issue all along.

They have quite a nice arc going on.

Reasonable request
Thing they really care about
Burn it all down
Say sowwy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Clitch posted:

The thing that should terrify someone about SWATing isn't the inconvenience, or the discomfort and humiliation of being ordered to the ground and handcuffed in front of an audience. It's an act that causes an innocent person's 4th Amendment Rights to be suspended by a claim of exigent circumstances.

In the video posted earlier, the guy's cuffed, frisked, and detained with no legitimate probable cause, because even an anonymous emergency call claiming an imminent threat overrides his civil rights. They take and search his phone. When he tells them they're being recorded on video, they disable the camera.

Sure, it's all a big misunderstanding, and he may think it's just a funny story to tell his youtube audience, but it's somebody fraudulently causing the suspension of what we consider a basic human right to privacy. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that scares the Hell out of me.

Well and it's basically a matter of time until some retard cop shoots a kid or his parents for pulling out a wallet on one of these bogus raids

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

The whole lego butt thing is very funny and too retarded to not be true #iwanttobelieve #occupygames #cuckhavocandletslipthedogsoffart

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

Poison exists and is a beloved character. there's bridget too...though bridget is a boy forced to live as a girl...does that count?
pretty sure there are others i am forgetting in the metal gear series.

Man poison is frickin great. I dunno if you saw Suave VS RF but that match was down to the wire.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Well and it's basically a matter of time until some retard cop shoots a kid or his parents for pulling out a wallet on one of these bogus raids

bitcoin wallets don't work that way.

Dianetics
Jun 6, 2014
Part of me wants to believe that Zoe is the greatest troll of all time. This poo poo is like the perfect storm of internet poo poo flinging. The idea that this may have been orchestrated is the only thing that keeps me going. I know its too much to hope for and Zoe is anything but a mastermind but part of me still hopes that she's the modern day Andy Kaufman.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Gotta say poo poo looks pretty hosed up in the indie games community and gaming "journalist" community.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Who would have ever thought that video game journalism would be terrible? Anyway, I hope this results in IRA-style bombings and hostage taking.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kelfeftaf posted:

Who would have ever thought that video game journalism would be terrible? Anyway, I hope this results in IRA-style bombings and hostage taking.

The only hostages taken will be anime figurines.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dianetics posted:

part of me still hopes that she's the modern day Andy Kaufman.

no that's Phil Fish

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
The Carlos the Jackal of the Gamer Movement:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

dpbjinc posted:

That didn't actually happen. That was from the National Report, which is a fake news clickbait site.

Oh poo poo, really? Wow...I'm sad to say I totally fell for that.

EDIT: Me and the Escapist...and Gamestop...and Reddit

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/30/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-down-in-the-valley-next-jan/#more-230405

So John Walker's going all in on the "New Gaming Media" tack. I wondered if RPS could be more insufferable, and here's my answer.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Borland posted:

The only hostages taken will be anime figurines.

dont even joke about that, im so triggered right now

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Clitch posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/30/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-down-in-the-valley-next-jan/#more-230405

So John Walker's going all in on the "New Gaming Media" tack. I wondered if RPS could be more insufferable, and here's my answer.

Hmm.

RPS posted:

After the most ugly of starts, Saints Row has gone on to be one of the series most worthy of excitement in recent years. Saints Row: The Third saw the franchise free itself of its genuinely unpleasant origins, and realise itself as a joy-filled, if somewhat problematic, alternative to GTA, rather than a clumsy clone. Last year’s Saints Row IV somehow survived both the collapse of THQ, and the conversion from add-on pack to complete sequel, to become one of the funniest, funnest games ever. So it’s with justified happy expectation that we receive the news that there’s to be a standalone expansion to part VI, Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell.

When did problematic become such a buzzword? Like, I know he's not talking about anything related to gameplay when he uses this word. It's so myopic and vague and says nothing but implies that whatever his sensitivities are, they need to be catered to and to fail to do so is an actual problem that warrants solving. But when the gently caress did the word get hijacked in such a way?

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You, me, everybody

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Clitch posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with this article? (save for the "if problematic" part, but it's John Walker so it could be much, much worse)

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Over 300 pages of this poo poo holy gently caress.

Why are people this goddamn mad over vidyagames?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

2 was the best saints row anyways.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BombiTheZombie posted:

Over 300 pages of this poo poo holy gently caress.

Why are people this goddamn mad over vidyagames?

Everyone in this thread (especially you) got cucked by Philippe Poisson and his loyal purple seacow

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Man Whore posted:

2 was the best saints row anyways.
Exactly this was what was wrong with Walker's article. :colbert:

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

NadaTooma posted:

just burn down the entire internet and start over

But then the NSA has spent all these years and dollers collecting everyones personal data for nothing???!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rainy day posted:

i am definitely going to listen to a thing called "Honey Badger Radio". Yup.

e: fuckin lmao i clicked on the title and its that mra idiot girlwriteswhat. definitely not gonna listen.

Wow, you hate a woman just because you don't agree with her opinions. I think you should send her a death threat or something.

E: I vaguely remember they had a podcast dedicated to how bronies are oppressed by evil feminists, so lol.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

journalism

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Social issues + Gaming = ?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

serious norman posted:

Social issues + Gaming = ?

A more defensible reason to use lesbians as a plot hook?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mutation posted:

the one thing that legit weirds me out is every journalist writing a "DEATH TO GAMERZ" article within the same day.

edit: also I doubt a polygon mods is really indicative of anything about polygon itself

This was actually an interesting piece by Youtuber Internetaristocrat that talks about about that and gives some of his opinions about it.

http://youtu.be/Km3DZQp0StE

Honestly I haven't been keeping up with the thread as fast as humanly possible because I'm too busy hating vaginas and everything they bleed for. But his previous two parts are also pretty drat awesome.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So a friend of mine posted a link to one of the quinnspiracy videos on her facebook wall and was immediately bombarded with negative comments from someone we went to college with simultaneously asking for proof and refusing to look at any of the evidence she was providing. He than later admitted to having met Zoe and said this:

quote:

No, I'm familiar with this controversy. I'm on Twitter, I mostly follow games folks, and I even ended up writing a blog about... well, kind of about everything that's been flaring up recently.

"It's that she slept with her own critics, who then gave her suspiciously outstanding reviews."

I just read through that page quickly. There isn't a single review of Depression Quest mentioned. There are some vague suspicions of Robin Arnott's role in an award. The timing of the relationship versus the award never seems to be made clear.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it was an award for narrative in a game.

I was in the room when Zoë and Patrick Lindsey received a BostonFIG 2013 award for Depression Quest's narrative excellence. It isn't so unbelievable that they'd get a similar award later. It's an excellent game.

And I think it's an excellent game based on my experience playing it before I knew I'd even have a chance to meet Zoë.

I met Zoë in September 2013, at BostonFIG. She reached out to me before the event and then made me feel welcome in a town I knew nobody in.

In a completely non-sexual way, to be clear. We went to a VALVe party together and then to a bar with Patrick and some other games folks.

She had nothing to gain by being nice to me or anybody else in the bar. I'm pretty much a nobody in the games world.

So let's please get the facts straight. If people want to question journalistic ethics in games, great. I think it's an important conversation. But Zoë's privacy is being violated, she's being harassed in completely unacceptable ways, and she's frankly being slandered left and right.

So please at the very least be more precise in your accusations when it involves someone who I consider to be a friend.

That man ended up being Devin Wilson author of one of the death of gamer articles. So I guess everyone is more or less all connected.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

rodbeard posted:

That man ended up being Devin Wilson author of one of the death of gamer articles. So I guess everyone is more or less all connected.

loving mingling indie hipster nerds with their social safety nets

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
LoL I don't know why I get such laughter out of people trying to walk back their comments so quickly now that people started attacking the advertisers of the websites that mocked them. I'm curious if some of these idiotic websites will actually survive this?

Linking these because some people don't like to see the images by default.

I'm sowwy, soo soo sowwy
http://i.imgur.com/4Gd1IW1.jpg

now we're all cordial
http://i.imgur.com/mznqQlk.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

We're all Zoe Quinn.

• Locked thread