Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FreeKillB posted:

In conclusion, I think Jester underperforms when compared to any non-Antiquarian class, and this was my judgement even back before Highwaymen and Lepers got their substantial buffs. You can certainly find success using one, especially in lower-level dungeons, but I'm over 100 hours into the game and I still feel like I can't wrap my head around how the designers intended the class to be properly used.

Jester has been a mess of a character, even before release. During EA, you had to choose between either purely support jester with no attacks, or purely offensive with his low damage range, and in both instances you almost always had 1-2 skills that was always grey-d out.

Shame really. I just wish Finale either did comically more damage or didn't debuff you. That debuff is too harsh to ever consider using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
You wouldn't let a clown fix a leak in the john. So why do you let these jesters tear down the biz? Yeah! I don't care if he is Mr Notorious Vvulf. Can he croon?

Gooooulet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How big do you guys set your rosters? I currently have had 20 (one of each plus couple extra vestals, arbalests & occultists) and it's becoming a financial pain to maintain even one party to full skill/equipment load.

edit: aaand there go my jester and bountyhunter. Good news everyone, there's room on the roster again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

double nine posted:

How big do you guys set your rosters? I currently have had 20 (one of each plus couple extra vestals, arbalests & occultists) and it's becoming a financial pain to maintain even one party to full skill/equipment load.
I try to double up on each class, but I realize this requires some degree of patience and luck. Why? Because in Champion level dungeons, monsters like the Giant (from the Weald) have a chance to smash your hero for a massive 60 damage Treebranch Smackdown, putting them instantly on Death's Door. Then, if you get even more unlucky, the enemy might follow that up with a volley of blight attacks. Sometimes your hero is doomed, so a backup is really nice to have. This isn't a necessity, it's just a precaution.

And I should mention that the RNG can go in the opposite direction - there's a chance you'll have a town event where your recently smashed hero can be brought back to life.

As far as money goes, when in doubt, sell your duplicate trinkets, or sacrifice a few trinkets which you aren't using very often. Recruit Antiquarians, and try going on some low level money runs for cash. Short and Medium length missions are relatively quick, just bring a dedicated tank to protect the Antiquarian. You may need a secondary healer, too. You said you had a spare Arbalest, and they're excellent backup healers.

Thankfully, you don't need to go through your entire roster and min/max every single unit. That's something I would reserve for the late game, like Champion level dungeons, or the Darkest Dungeon.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 17, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Hurried shot is really good for the Arbalest and I always spec it on her in case the party gets surprised or shuffled. Rather than have her spend several turns trying to move back you can snowball the speed buff and do damage at the same time.

I always tend to do Sniper Shot/ Mark/ Bandage/ Hurried Shot. Her healing is actually very strong if you give her the medic's bracers, especially coupled with another healer.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

So I've started playing the game again since not looking at it for about a year.

The balance seems a lot better but I just had a nasty party wipe on the Hag.

My level 3 heroes refused to take the mission, so I sent in my level 2s, and they waltzed through the entire dungeon taking almost no stress damage and healing back up to full during every fight.

Then they encounter the Hag and she completely shuts them down before I could even escape. What the gently caress?!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Started a new game, ran into the collector in my 4th corridor. Nice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The hag is a tough fight, but she doesn't have anything resembling an instant shutdown; the whole fight is about slow, agonizing attrition. The key is having a proper loadout to face her: attacks that target rank 3-4 are critical (every person needs to be able to hit those ranks). Your party needs to be able to hit those ranks easily even after someone gets tossed into the pot. The best strategy is ignoring the guy in the pot and DPS racing the Hag down before she can cook him.

Hellions dominate this fight. Bring 2-3, give the front 2 Iron Swan, give all of them If It Bleeds, you win.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Umbra Dubium posted:

So I've started playing the game again since not looking at it for about a year.

The balance seems a lot better but I just had a nasty party wipe on the Hag.

My level 3 heroes refused to take the mission, so I sent in my level 2s, and they waltzed through the entire dungeon taking almost no stress damage and healing back up to full during every fight.

Then they encounter the Hag and she completely shuts them down before I could even escape. What the gently caress?!

The Hag is my least favorite fight in the game because you're just racing to kill her before she eats your entire party. The pot has too much HP to break people out quickly, and she almost always gets an immediate deathblow chance on them when they get dumped. If you don't crush her in the first few turns she can easily grind you down, and there's not much you can do once you lose momentum.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

double nine posted:

edit: aaand there go my jester and bountyhunter. Good news everyone, there's room on the roster again.

I try to have a few characters that can fit in each role and slot, so I can make an effective team for any quest at a moment's notice. Gotta have a boatload of Vestals to constantly rotate though, too. It's also important to think about raising a few characters to use for certain bosses or for use in the Darkest Dungeon itself.

Samopsa posted:

Started a new game, ran into the collector in my 4th corridor. Nice.

I saw a screenshot of a guy who ran into a Shambler during the tutorial.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I did that too, it really helped me get DD :gonk:

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Alabaster White posted:

I saw a screenshot of a guy who ran into a Shambler during the tutorial.

That sounds amazingly IC, if it makes sense to say that about a game.

Something something aesthetic :D

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

The hag is a tough fight, but she doesn't have anything resembling an instant shutdown; the whole fight is about slow, agonizing attrition.

Any advice for the Hag in New Game+? I'm going to try your strategy, but I don't have multiple Hellions yet. How about using a Highwayman as a substitute for a Hellion? Seems like Riposte is invaluable for boss fights, and he has a bleed similar to the Hellion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Muraena posted:

That sounds amazingly IC, if it makes sense to say that about a game.

Something something aesthetic :D

Not sure if it's the same guy but I had to find video evidence and ... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtDRBE6rWY

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
and he kills it, too. :black101:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how in gods name are you speccing your arbalests

An excellent question. I was drunkposting and could have been more clear. I think - if I recall correctly - the point is that I couldn't bandage the blighted/stunned/marked Hellion because she was now behind the Arbalest, and the Arbalest cannot Bandage Pos. 4. So, removing the mark via Flare was preferable to shooting and probably not killing a spider for the purposes of saving the Hellion, considering the first two spiders were or were going to be YAWPed. I thought the hellion had enough HP left to take two non-marked hits, but not two marked hits. This was probably correct, but the turns didn't work out that way mathematically and the spiders got in more than two attacks.

Jedah posted:

What kind of trinkets are you using on your melee characters, like the Hellion? I've found that the Ancestor's Signet Ring paired with the Flesh's Heart Trophy works well. The Hellion really benefits from additional accuracy, since she can't afford to miss those critical Iron Swan shots. She also needs protection, since she's a bit squishy.

I've found that trinkets like the Ancestor's Bottle provide health bonuses which help make up for the fact that some Champion monsters hit like trucks. Another reliable trinket combo I've used is the Focus Ring paired with the Overture Box. The Hellion gets more maximum health, accuracy, and even a crit bonus. The Box cancels out the Focus Ring's dodge reduction, too.

Here's a list of good melee trinkets: (favorites in bold)

Sun Ring - very good standard trinket for most dungeons, including Champion difficulty. Additional accuracy and damage bonuses rule.
Ancestor's Candle, Ancestor's Pen - both are great for any melee hero. Just get some accuracy in your other slot.
Cleansing Crystal - if you are tired of getting status effects up the rear end, try this one. Great for Champion dungeons.
Tough Ring - for dealing with crazy Champion strength monsters and hard-hitting bosses.
Heaven's Hairpin - very useful stress relief and accuracy bonuses, can be acquired in the early/mid game.

Legendary Bracer - pair this one with an item that has +SPD, like the Feather Crystal. That combo is pretty solid.
Vvulf's Tassle - but only if you have a Marking party. Very good for killing bosses.
Dismas's Head - very strong in theory, but the negative traits nearly rule this one out. Added stress damage and health reduction sucks.
Crescendo Box - I prefer this one to Dismas's Head, the damage bonus and SPD are both very good, and there's no health penalty.
Berserk Charm - similar to Dismas's Head, this item has negative traits. If you insist on using it, make sure to get additional accuracy.

Heavy Boots - very good early/mid game tanking trinket, with plenty of move resistance and prot.
Hell's Hairpin - for torchless money-making runs.
Brawler's Gloves - just don't move out of position 1. Pair this item with Heavy boots?
Sun Cloak - standard tanking cloak, but not bad at all.
Life Crystal - very good health bonuses, at the loss of speed. Not bad.
Warrior's Bracer - good damage bonus for starting out.
Warrior's Cap - good accuracy bonus for starting out.
Swordsman's Crest - good damage bonus for starting out.

Any Stun amulet + Barbaric YAWP is great. Just bring lots of herbs to clear the debuff.

Both the Ancestor's Moustache Cream and Ancestor's Handkerchief deserve to be mentioned, since they can help deal with status effects. I just prefer using the Cleaning Crystal.

Here's a list of all the trinkets.

Thanks for that list; I'm going to go through my trinket list and look for some of those that I may have and just am not using in favor of other items - I am (still) at mid-game @ about week 75 or so, and I only have 2 level 5 heroes so haven't done any Champion dungeons yet. I've got several of those items on the lower end of the rarity spectrum that I just haven't tried too much because of the negatives associated with some of them. No ancestor trinkets. I'm building up some steam, though. For whatever reason I'm trying to level everyone up into the level 4-5 range before I kill more bosses. I keep getting #rekt, and maybe I'm thinking that just a bit more training / upgrades will make the difference.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do note the Cleansing Crystal is not the greatest pick for hellions, because it reduces their chance to inflict bleeds. It's great on other melee classes though, (and even better on Occultists).

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Sent a team lead by Dismas into the ruins. They "encountered" a Shambler and never returned.

Two weeks later Dismas walks back into the hamlet and refuses to talk about it.

Huh.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Sent a team lead by Dismas into the ruins. They "encountered" a Shambler and never returned.

Two weeks later Dismas walks back into the hamlet and refuses to talk about it.

Huh.

Wtf

Did he like, die in combat and then suddenly show up again or what

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Wtf

Did he like, die in combat and then suddenly show up again or what

Roleplaying it a little, but yeah he died.

Then there was a town event when I got back from a later mission giving me the option of one of my heroes returning from the dead. Of course I chose the one with all the gold invested in him instead of some no-name mooks.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That would be an incredible random event to add to the game, though. Party wipe, then a few weeks later one of the members shows up like nothing happened. As you start using them again strange things happen, like they get instant afflictions out of the blue, or the Collector shows up on every mission they're on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They could return with some special PTSD affliction where all their dialogue is replaced by elipses, regular enemies are less stressful, but bosses and minibosses (or, for bonus points, whatever "Killed" them the first time) are super stressful, and they refuse to go on Darkest Dungeon runs.

That's probably too complicated, but I dunno; I like the hypothetical trade-off of getting back an old party member who's become hardened (and thus effective) against the little things but you can never let him handle the big ones again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

For whatever reason I'm trying to level everyone up into the level 4-5 range before I kill more bosses. I keep getting #rekt, and maybe I'm thinking that just a bit more training / upgrades will make the difference.
Good luck on Champion dungeons, I felt there was a big jump in difficulty. I agree, training and upgrades will make a difference. The Cove, in particular, almost requires you to get some upgrades. Champion Piranha men are no joke. Their spears have ridiculous range, and their crits are extremely powerful. I wouldn't mess around with them until you've got an upgraded tank and healer.

On that note, the idea of leveling up your heroes before attempting end game bosses is very good. Just try to use camping buffs before you attempt the boss, it'll help a ton. For example, the Man-at-Arms can buff the entire party with Weapons Practice and Tactics, which can make a huge difference.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

double nine posted:

Not sure if it's the same guy but I had to find video evidence and ... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtDRBE6rWY

Thanks for the link. Dismas surviving something like six deathblows during combat just to die to bleed after was a cherry on top of the Darkest Cake.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I got this game recently and have the general impression that buffs and debuffs (except blight and stun) aren't very good, am I missing something or do they become more useful later on?

Also barbaric yawp is rediculous and I see no reason why I would ever not run a hellion

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

I got this game recently and have the general impression that buffs and debuffs (except blight and stun) aren't very good, am I missing something or do they become more useful later on?

Also barbaric yawp is rediculous and I see no reason why I would ever not run a hellion

You're pretty much correct. There are a few niche strategies using buff/debuff abilities: you can stack -dmg% debuffs to neuter a boss/miniboss's damage down to nothing, or stack dodge buffs to make one or more characters untouchable. But you have to build your team with that specific plan in mind for it to work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah a good example is that there's a sequence-breaking strategy for the final boss that requires stacking a gigantic number of buffs on a leper to function; is it super cool? you bet. is it powerful? absolutely. but do you need to know EXACTLY what you're doing before you even form the party? oh hell yes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

you have to build your team with that specific plan in mind for it to work.
Late game Darkest Dungeon in a nutshell

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are attacks like Rubble of Ruin/Time's Up based off Prophet's/Vvulf's base damage or are they their own seperate thing?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If a team gets a name from the combination list (like Red Hook, Usual Suspects etc.) does this mean they're a more efficient combination than others? I can't seem to find the list of names atm, but some of them, Tank'n'Spank for instance, seem to suggest they have a working gimmick.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Nah, it's just a certain list of combinations that are named.
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Party_Combos

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

as an example, there is a named combination for four jesters or four men at arms

these are not what would be considered efficient combinations by rational minds

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

as an example, there is a named combination for four jesters or four men at arms

these are not what would be considered efficient combinations by rational minds

There's one for a combo of 4 Lepers :zombie:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you debuff an enemy with 0 protection to give them less protection do they have negative protection and take more damage or does it just remove protection which is already there?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

If you debuff an enemy with 0 protection to give them less protection do they have negative protection and take more damage or does it just remove protection which is already there?

Pretty sure it just caps out at 0% PROT and doesn't go into the negatives.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Alabaster White posted:

Are attacks like Rubble of Ruin/Time's Up based off Prophet's/Vvulf's base damage or are they their own seperate thing?

Not sure on Vvulf but last I played you could definitely completely neuter the Prophet by reducing his damage

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Cicadalek posted:

Not sure on Vvulf but last I played you could definitely completely neuter the Prophet by reducing his damage

Thanks, I'm gonna try this strategy on the New Game+ Prophet. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Occultist, due to his unpredictable heal. Sometimes I just feel like I'm being trolled by his 0 hp heals. But I think you found a specific boss battle where he shines. The Occultist's debuff can also be used to neuter the Champion Giant's Treebranch Smackdown, which is a real blessing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cicadalek posted:

On level 3 dungeons don't forget to run debuff trinkets, I lost my favorite Grave Robber because he resisted my Occultist's debuff and one-shot the dude immediately after. I almost took him down without losing anyone else with big Iron Swan hits, but alas.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My dream patch at this point is one where they allow the abomination to pair with religious characters. I just want to play him more, man. How about the god-people take more stress damage from him? Then at least I could level him more easily, and maybe jester--vestal--abom--xxxx would be a decent party if you're not doing anything too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ragnar34 posted:

My dream patch at this point is one where they allow the abomination to pair with religious characters. I just want to play him more, man. How about the god-people take more stress damage from him? Then at least I could level him more easily, and maybe jester--vestal--abom--xxxx would be a decent party if you're not doing anything too hard.

Could always double-up on Occultists. Or supplement the Occultist heal with an Arbalest.

I honestly wish the Religious/Atheist trait was something you could manipulate. Like, maybe have God-Fearing or Mediator bring about the religious trait and Faithless/Witness make some people the opposite.