Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did David spend all 10 years experimenting with the black goo, or did he also investigate the engineers' city or libraries or whatever? Can we assume David knows everything (or at least a shitload) about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did David spend all 10 years experimenting with the black goo, or did he also investigate the engineers' city or libraries or whatever? Can we assume David knows everything (or at least a shitload) about them?

I think so but because he's insane his only takeaway is information pertinent to his quest to master creation and procreation to make a perfect being. Like how in Prometheus he explicitly figures everything out because he works out the language but no one thinks to ask him anything and he doesn't really divulge anything beyond immediate need.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

Rewatching Alien Resurrection and holy smokes its a lot worse than I remember. Like its so overwhelmingly Joss Whedon its insane, its like a TV show.

Having the autistic looking Newborn thing murder the Alien Queen was unforgivable, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

viral spiral posted:

Having the autistic looking Newborn thing murder the Alien Queen was unforgivable, too.

They were so cheap they borrowed the Alien Queen from what's his names personal collection of original Aliens props/outfits instead of making a new one and then ripped its mouth off.

I hate that movie so much. Like I feel like if they got just any workmanlike script along the same lines it would have been great to let Jeunet just go completely nuts. But literally every moment something almost good sort of happens you feel the hand of Whedon make it bad. I hate that movie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but it has Ron Pearlman.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I assume the new born was a male alien but they never show its dong. Lost potential. It could of been truly horrifying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Its dong was designed, you can certainly find the concept art of it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

I assume the new born was a male alien but they never show its dong. Lost potential. It could of been truly horrifying.

The original design for the Newborn had visible genitalia, and the studio saw it and said "holy poo poo we can't show that on screen" and had to fight the director over digitally removing it.

It gets mentioned (along with a couple photos of the original props) in this thread in one of the comments, partway down the page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/2t5wqk/i_know_most_people_arent_very_fond_of_this_film/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That looks so much better. Here's a quote from where its linked,

quote:

"Jeunet (director) was adamant that the Newborn have genitalia, a mix of both sexes. However, Fox was uncomfortable and even Jeunet eventually felt "even for a Frenchman, it's too much". The genitalia were digitally removed in post-production."

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Kinda looks like Baphomet there.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:stare:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

everything in that movie except maybe the ship is so loving poorly designed and ugly. gently caress its like made for syfy levels of bleh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There's something just hysterical about it. Alien just shoving its crotch in your face. "Eh? Eh? Like what you see?"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He's got nothin' to be smug about.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

porfiria posted:

He's got nothin' to be smug about.

Fans debate, how much bigger could it really get

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yes; that’s the plot of The Crossing, and is part of his motivation for nuking the earthlike planet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For those in the LA area, Elite Casting is casting extras for Alien: Awakening. So if it's your lifelong dream to get killed by an Alien or to play a virus-bombed Engineer or something, now might be your chance. :v:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For those in the LA area, Elite Casting is casting extras for Alien: Awakening. So if it's your lifelong dream to get killed by an Alien or to play a virus-bombed Engineer or something, now might be your chance. :v:

Nice. I was worried they wouldn't actually make a direct continuation of the Prometheus/Covenant series after Covenant's middling performance, but that seems like a positive sign.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i wonder how long alien js going to stay a relatively high-budget horror film. i could see it going the way of universal soldier and doing like six non-theatrically-released films or something. i am kind of surprised it hasnt happened already tbh

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That would be pretty sad. Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are awesome, but they have the advantage that the titular creature is just a jacked human being. The alien needs some production value.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

That would be pretty sad. Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are awesome, but they have the advantage that the titular creature is just a jacked human being. The alien needs some production value.

To be honest I don't think it does. You could do a low-budget Alien film and do so well, you'd just need directors focusing more on a smaller scale and minimizing the Alien's appearances (which honestly isn't a bad thing at all, it's part of what made the original work so well despite the pretty lovely Alien suit.)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I don't think it does. You could do a low-budget Alien film and do so well, you'd just need directors focusing more on a smaller scale and minimizing the Alien's appearances (which honestly isn't a bad thing at all, it's part of what made the original work so well despite the pretty lovely Alien suit.)

Yeah, it's not technically impossible, but I do think it would be a lot harder.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

An alien movie forced by the constraints of its budget to focus more on suspense and character, that would be terrible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

An alien movie forced by the constraints of its budget to focus more on suspense and character, that would be terrible.

Are there a bunch of great DTV sci-fi thrillers I'm unaware of? (I would honestly love if the answer was yes)

Like, Alien hides the alien a lot, but you aren't making the Nostromo sets on a DTV budget.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

but you aren't making the Nostromo sets on a DTV budget.
They tried. The answer was a lot of McDonald's takeout boxes!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You aren't going to get Ridley Scott to do an Alien movie on a limited budget, you're paying for the talent. Or whatever, take his name out of it, you're not going to get top line talent to make a sci fi movie with an artificially limited budget just for the hell of it. The guys making the DTV movies for tiny budgets are usually doing that for a reason.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You aren't going to get Ridley Scott to do an Alien movie on a limited budget, you're paying for the talent. Or whatever, take his name out of it, you're not going to get top line talent to make a sci fi movie with an artificially limited budget just for the hell of it. The guys making the DTV movies for tiny budgets are usually doing that for a reason.

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be him. I think the hope is that, like with the two good DTV Universal Soldier movies, that you catch a talent who is (if there is any justice) on the way up. Hell, Luke Scott is just getting his start and can do a middling Ridley Scott impression.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be him. I think the hope is that, like with the two good DTV Universal Soldier movies, that you catch a talent who is (if there is any justice) on the way up. Hell, Luke Scott is just getting his start and can do a middling Ridley Scott impression.

I think there's a risk that they take into account beyond just the budget for that one movie though, and that's diminishing the brand or the property itself. So Covenant coming up short, but not being an outright flop, is still better than doing a mediocre low budget, amateurish movie fit for DTV, which forever taints the whole idea of an Alien movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I think there's a risk that they take into account beyond just the budget for that one movie though, and that's diminishing the brand or the property itself. So Covenant coming up short, but not being an outright flop, is still better than doing a mediocre low budget, amateurish movie fit for DTV, which forever taints the whole idea of an Alien movie.

Case in point: the two AvP movies, which were made on limited budgets and with lesser directors.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Case in point: the two AvP movies, which were made on limited budgets and with lesser directors.

False. AVP had roughly the same budget as - and made about the same amount of profit as - both Alien Resurrection and Alien3. Each was around 60 million.

AV|P:R had only a slightly lower budget, being made for 40 million.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are there a bunch of great DTV sci-fi thrillers I'm unaware of? (I would honestly love if the answer was yes)

Like, Alien hides the alien a lot, but you aren't making the Nostromo sets on a DTV budget.

To put this further in perspective, every corridor we see in Alien Resurrection is a single hallway they reused over and over again, and then turned on its side to use for Ripley's vertical pit cell, and they also cut the big running shootout towards the end of the movie due to budget reasons. A direct to video budget wouldn't even come close.

Starship Troopers 2 and 3 are an interesting curiosity. They got the people who did the special effects for the original to work on them, so they're DTV movies with some genuinely impressive CG effects for DTV stuff. But for anyone wondering if DTV Alien would work I mean put either of them side by side with the original ST and :laffo: Anyway the second one works within the budget by having a battle at the beginning and having the rest of the movie be a mash-up of elements from Pitch Black and The Thing. Some stuff the original was infamous for like the gratuitous nudity and brain sucking stuff works well in this smaller scope sci-fi horror kind of story. I would never call it great but they tried. Haven't seen the third one.

Mimic 3 is sort of not embarrassing and works within its budget? IIRC it's a Rear Window kind of movie where someone is spying on someone doing experiments regarding the bugs with Lance Henriksen?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

False. AVP had roughly the same budget as - and made about the same amount of profit as - both Alien Resurrection and Alien3. Each was around 60 million.

My mistake, I should have done my homework first on the overall budgets.
I remember reading anecdotes from the StudioADI guys about budget restrictions on the AvP movies, and that being the main reason why the Alien costumes and designs in the AvP movies are reused and retooled 'Alien Resurrection' props and costumes.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
I watched most of Shinya Tsukamoto’s filmography recently, including the three Tetsuos. What I wouldn’t give for that guy to make an Alien flick.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

$40 million is a significantly below-average budget in 2007 Hollywood. Average cost of marketing in 2007 was $36 million and average production costs were roughly $65 million.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/01/business/fi-cotown-mpaa1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/200-million-rising-hollywood-struggles-721818

That's the cost of all studio movies. When you factor in the kind of movie AVP:R is, it is way the hell under average on production costs.

Inflation is also an enormous factor. $55 million in May 1992 money = $82 million in 2007 money. In effect, the stated cost of AVP:R + the average marketing budget (which I guarantee you AVPR was well above) does not cover the cost of Alien 3's production budget alone in inflation dollars.

Therefore yes, these are below average budget movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dont even fink about it posted:

$40 million is a significantly below-average budget in 2007 Hollywood. Average cost of marketing in 2007 was $36 million and average production costs were roughly $65 million.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/01/business/fi-cotown-mpaa1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/200-million-rising-hollywood-struggles-721818

That's the cost of all studio movies. When you factor in the kind of movie AVP:R is, it is way the hell under average on production costs.

Inflation is also an enormous factor. $55 million in May 1992 money = $82 million in 2007 money. In effect, the stated cost of AVP:R + the average marketing budget (which I guarantee you AVPR was well above) does not cover the cost of Alien 3's production budget alone in inflation dollars.

Therefore yes, these are below average budget movies.

You also have to consider that even outside of inflation, the cost of making movies has risen dramatically. 'Aliens' cost $18million to make in 1986, adjusting for inflation that's about $40million. There's absolutely no way you could make 'Aliens' today, with all its practical effects and sets, for $40million.

Just going off their directors alone, the first three Alien movies were practically lightning in a bottle. All three had relatively green directors who, unbeknownst to anyone at the time, were also completely brilliant, which mitigated the cost of their salaries. The studio was getting an incredible bang for their buck at the time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

You also have to consider that even outside of inflation, the cost of making movies has risen dramatically. 'Aliens' cost $18million to make in 1986, adjusting for inflation that's about $40million. There's absolutely no way you could make 'Aliens' today, with all its practical effects and sets, for $40million.
Why is this, anyway? Do people just expect a higher fidelity of effects or what? I don't remember any effects shots in Aliens that was particularly dodgy. Special effects shops always seem like they're going under (the digital ones, at least) so it doesn't seem like the extra money is going to them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Movies haven't actually gotten that much more expensive, the accountants have just gotten more brazen :ssh:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed when Walter and David have a musical robot bonding session, they specifically spell out that Walter can't create unlike the older synthetics. Yet when he plays following David's finger guidance, he starts a little melody by himself near the end.

Is it a little hint, or am I reading way too much into this/misinterpreted something ? Sorry if this was discussed already.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

I just noticed when Walter and David have a musical robot bonding session, they specifically spell out that Walter can't create unlike the older synthetics. Yet when he plays following David's finger guidance, he starts a little melody by himself near the end.

Is it a little hint, or am I reading way too much into this/misinterpreted something ? Sorry if this was discussed already.

No, I think you're correct to read it that way. It's the first step of David unlocking something in Walter that leads to the full emergence at the end of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, I think you're correct to read it that way. It's the first step of David unlocking something in Walter that leads to the full emergence at the end of the movie.

Except for the part where David reveals himself to be David with Mother at the end of the movie.