Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zark the Damned posted:

What format are you building for? Friendlies, or a Tournament, or what?

For friendlies just take whatever you want and discuss with your opponent what's appropriate for the scenario you're playing.

If you want to go Battleforged (to gain access to Command Points) it's still quite simple:

• Choose which detachment you want to make (e.g. Patrol, Batallion, Brigade, etc.)
  • Fill it with the minimum number of units plus whatever else you want to wedge in there. e.g. for a Batallion you need 2 HQs and 3 Troops, but can throw in more stuff.
  • Repeat with additional Detachments
  • If you're using Matched Play rules, each Detachment must share a common faction (e.g. Imperium, Chaos, Eldar, etc.)

In your case, assuming you have no other units, you can use a Patrol Detachment plus an Auxillary:

Patrol:
2 HQs (Lord & Sorceror)
1 Troops (Chaos Marines)
1 Elite (Chosen)
1 Fast Attack (Bikes)

Auxillary:
1 Fast Attack (Raptors)

True this only gives you 2 CP (none for the Patrol and -1 from the Auxillary) but it's Battle Forged.

Alternatively, if "a bunch" is enough models to field two units, you could get 4CP by passing them and one of the HQs into an Outrider detachments.

Patrol:
1 HQ (Lord)
1 Troops (Chaos Marines)
1 Elite (Chosen)

Outrider:
1 HQ (Sorceror)
3 Fast Attack (Raptors, Raptors, & Bikes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Giant Isopod posted:

Anyone with the new Celestine model, what base sizes does she and her pals have?

Celestine's on a 40mm, the Gemini are on 32mm's.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

downtimejesus posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played in forever, but I don't understand how to structure my army for detachments and all that stuff. BACK IN MY DAY you just needed an HQ and two troops. I'm trying to play Night Lords, I have bikes and a lord and a sorcerer, some chosen, a squad of normal marines, and a bunch of raptors. I don't know how to make it so I get more command points or whatever, or so it's legal.

I just don't know where to start to make a legal list.

It's very much like the old Force Org chart, except now instead of one chart everyone has to use, you select from a menu of smaller, more diverse charts, and get benefits (in the form of more Command Points) for taking more restrictive or harder to fill ones.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Friends, I am back on my bullshit:

After using the Nephilim a couple of times in 8th, and repeatedly thinking that the bomber would be better, I finally painted this thing, like 2 years after assembling it. The DA flyers have, in the 6->7 and 7->8 transitions, gotten both better and cheaper every time, and are finally maybe less than complete garbage. Excited to use this stupid loving thing.

I'm psyched you've finally painted that thing. Looks great!

Here's hoping it bombs the poo poo out of some of Shadow Daishi's Wulfen next time you guys play

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SteelMentor posted:

Celestine's on a 40mm, the Gemini are on 32mm's.

Thanks!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Helping a friend of mine work on a guard list he's putting together. It's super infantry heavy, but he wants it that way.

His plan is one MT battallion with 2 tempestors, 2 command squads, and 4 scion squads. One squad is 2 flamers + 2 meltas, 1 is 4 plasma + plasma pistol, 2 are 4 volleyguns, and each command squad is 2 volleyguns and a medpack. Backing them up are two taurox primes and two valkyries, with the vehicles loaded for AT work. Other battallion is cadian with a lord commissar, commander, 3 infantry squads with heavy bolters + GLs, and 2 anti tank HW squads. The whole MT batt is going to go offensive while the cadians hold the objectives in and around the deployment zone. His idea is that the scion squads will go in vehicles while command squads and tempestors will stay in reserve to deep strike where needed to support the scions. The plasma and melta squads go in valks, volleyguns in the tauroxes. Third det is a sisters of battle patrol with celestine plus 5 sisters carrying storm bolters and a heavy bolter.

Tons and tons of anti infantry (We've got a lot of horde lists here) but I'm worried it's pretty light on AT. The cadian heavy weapon squads are pretty accurate with the company commander though, he's running each with an autocannon and 2 lascannons I think. Then battle cannons + ACs on the tauroxes and lascannons + hellstrikes and door guns on the valkyries. He's been slowly working on this list since 8th dropped, his main is raven guard but he's got most of the scions ready now.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 6, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm building a loyalist Alpha Legion force of mixed Primaris and small Marines. The idea is a ship of pre-Heresy dudes got lost in the Warp and popped out. I have a Mark IV Tac Squad I want to represent the original leaders of the company. I'm thinking of converting them to Sterngard Vets. Any counter suggestions?

Also trying to decide which Chapter I want to use, rules-wise.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Aren't the alpha legion rules a C&P of the raven guard rules

Anyway sternguard are legit as hell. You could turn them into regular company vets too though. With company vets you can emulate legion tactics, like having a squad of 5 guys all with plasmaguns.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Sternguard are great if you leave them mostly or completely with their special bolters. If you want to trick out with combi or special weapons, take Company Vets instead.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah. A big bunch of sternguard with their bolters using their stratagem are scary as hell. I've had them gun down tau coldstars that got cocky.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Alternatively, if "a bunch" is enough models to field two units, you could get 4CP by passing them and one of the HQs into an Outrider detachments.

Patrol:
1 HQ (Lord)
1 Troops (Chaos Marines)
1 Elite (Chosen)

Outrider:
1 HQ (Sorceror)
3 Fast Attack (Raptors, Raptors, & Bikes)

Yeah, a "bunch" is actually 20 raptors, and I have 9 bikes. I know I need three squads with Terror Tactics to dumpster units after morale, so I wanted three squads of raptors? But I didn't know what detachments I needed to make that happen. Outrider + Patrol seems to do that, thanks!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Have gravis captains obsoleted terminator captains? The only real advantage the terminators have is combi-weapon and deep striking. T5 3+/4++ seems equal to or better than T4 2+/4++ in most cases, and the gravis can just take the free armor relic if you really want it. Gravis gets an extra attack, and unless you go real cheapo on the captain with a power sword there's no real price difference between the two. Gravis is actually cheaper PL I believe. The terminator can go in a stormraven or land raider at least, which is a decent reason to use one.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah. A big bunch of sternguard with their bolters using their stratagem are scary as hell. I've had them gun down tau coldstars that got cocky.

I'm just going to throw out that I distinctly remember you telling me that the Sternguard strategem wasn't worth the 1cp after I got really excited about it when the codex dropped.

For Stenguard it's also worth considering taking storm bolters. They're only a little bit more expensive and are flat out better in most distance groups. I personally still prefer the special issue bolters for the coolness factor but they're generally less efficient.

chutche2 posted:

Have gravis captains obsoleted terminator captains? The only real advantage the terminators have is combi-weapon and deep striking. T5 3+/4++ seems equal to or better than T4 2+/4++ in most cases, and the gravis can just take the free armor relic if you really want it. Gravis gets an extra attack, and unless you go real cheapo on the captain with a power sword there's no real price difference between the two. Gravis is actually cheaper PL I believe. The terminator can go in a stormraven or land raider at least, which is a decent reason to use one.

The ability to deep strike is a pretty big deal, to be fair. It's a hell of a lot easier to get that Terminator Captain where he needs to be.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

I'm just going to throw out that I distinctly remember you telling me that the Sternguard strategem wasn't worth the 1cp after I got really excited about it when the codex dropped.

I said it's not worth it for 5-man squads. When you've got 10 of them blazing away in rapid fire it can be worth it. Overall it's still only another 2-3 AP-2 wounds on average most of the time but it gives you more opportunity for dice to happen. It's not going to pay off a lot of the time, but sometimes it'll pay off big. The game has small enough sample sizes that adding +1 to wound on 20 shots can easily fall well outside of the statistical average. I'd rather spend 1 cp on hellfire shells since that's statistically going to get you more bang for you buck but you can only do that once a turn. Especially nice if you stack it with other buffs like Storm of Fire, I've been using that in every game since first seeing it in action and it's pretty brutal. With storm of fire, the special issue bolters become AP-3 on a wound roll of 5+

Alternative take: People change opinions after several months of gameplay. Storm bolters are probably overall going to do you better but I don't really want to source 10 non-terminator storm bolters.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 6, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

downtimejesus posted:

Yeah, a "bunch" is actually 20 raptors, and I have 9 bikes. I know I need three squads with Terror Tactics to dumpster units after morale, so I wanted three squads of raptors? But I didn't know what detachments I needed to make that happen. Outrider + Patrol seems to do that, thanks!

Don't forget you start out with 3 CP in addition to any bonus ones for detachments. :mil101:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

Gravis has obsoleted Terminator Captains without any weapon options who plan to deploy and walk up the field. If you were playing one of those, then yes, switch to Gravis. But if you wanted to move him faster than 5 inches a turn or whatever, or take a thunder hammer or combimelta, then no, Termie captains still have a place.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

So how the gently caress do you smooth greenstuff down when its in a fold that you cant reach? I had/have to do a lot of work to actually attach the cape but I get the feeling that if I dont get it smooth in the folds it'll look like poo poo when undercoated.

Other than that I still need to sculpt up a shield to replace the book on the iron halo, another one for the broach on his chest and make some tassets to cover the glue damage around the hips.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Artum posted:

So how the gently caress do you smooth greenstuff down when its in a fold that you cant reach? I had/have to do a lot of work to actually attach the cape but I get the feeling that if I dont get it smooth in the folds it'll look like poo poo when undercoated.

Other than that I still need to sculpt up a shield to replace the book on the iron halo, another one for the broach on his chest and make some tassets to cover the glue damage around the hips.

With these:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Awesome, thanks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Artum posted:

Awesome, thanks.

FYI, you can get them on Amazon for like $6 a set.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Artum posted:

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say this conversion/kitbash is super cool.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

FYI, you can get them on Amazon for like $6 a set.

Thats a good shout, the single brushes were being sold for £6.50.

Ayn Marx posted:

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say this conversion/kitbash is super cool.

Thanks, I wanted the birthday captain but still had some problems with it and I realised that building my own was eminently doable. As it stands that's a left leg body and arms from the intercessor kit, right leg from the sword lieutenant, pistol from the hellblasters, dark angels commander power fist, head from the new ultramarines kit, badge from the old ultramarines kit, right pad from the vanguard veterans, cape from a gravis captain and backpack eagle from the old plastic librarian and at this point it would have been cheaper to pay the ebay markup but wheres the fun in that.

Artum fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 6, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
If people wanted to know when Necromunda is out, it will be the last weekend of November.

Also all the old Bangle and Dangle and Deathwatch stuff goes on last chance to buy tomorrow.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/10/will-women-be-represented-in-40k.html

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/10/was-sisters-of-battle-meant-released.html

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
If plastic sisters that look anywhere near as good as the new necromunda female sculpts is a thing then no amount of willpower can stop me from emptying my accounts.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Astra Milfitarum

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, quick rules q for the new Guard book. Specifically the Laurels of Command relic.

Each time an officer with the laurels issues an order, roll a die, on a 4+ you can immediately issue a second order to the same unit. This is a bonus order which doesn't use up one of their Voice of Command usages.

This seems pretty good already, especially comboing stuff like FRFSRF with the reroll 1s order.

However this relic specifically doesn't have any 'can't generate additional orders' text like you see on things which generate extra shots or attacks like the Storm Troopers doctrine.

Does this mean that after rolling a 4+ and getting a second order, you then roll again and potentially get a 3rd, 4th, 5th order on the same unit?

Also with the Cadian Warlord Trait, when you issue an order to a unit roll a die and on a 4+ you also apply the order to a nearby unit. Do you roll for the bonus orders you get with the laurels? If so can these bonus orders be applied to the same unit or do they have to be spread out like normal?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

chutche2 posted:

If plastic sisters that look anywhere near as good as the new necromunda female sculpts is a thing then no amount of willpower can stop me from emptying my accounts.

Supporting evidence: Celestine and the geminae both look pretty great.

Counter example: Inquisitor Greyfax and the special edition canoness both have power heels

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Aren't their Aus prices the fault of import costs and local taxes though? Reducing the price would cut into their profits.

Also GW will absolutely not reduce their existing prices because it would harm their prestige.

That's the excuse, but anyone who understands import costs/local taxes knows that the figure GW has arrived on for their mark up is utter bullshit.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

Supporting evidence: Celestine and the geminae both look pretty great.

Counter example: Inquisitor Greyfax and the special edition canoness both have power heels
To be fair to the canoness model, it's basically 1:1 with the original Blanche artwork which, yes, has power heels with little flame nozzles on them. It's obvious what the sculpt was aiming for even if it's goofy and kind of dumb.

Greyfax, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

If people wanted to know when Necromunda is out, it will be the last weekend of November.

Any new whispers on the Tyranid codex?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Thanks, I wanted the birthday captain but still had some problems with it and I realised that building my own was eminently doable. As it stands that's a left leg body and arms from the intercessor kit, right leg from the sword lieutenant, pistol from the hellblasters, dark angels commander power fist, head from the new ultramarines kit, badge from the old ultramarines kit, right pad from the vanguard veterans, cape from a gravis captain and backpack eagle from the old plastic librarian and at this point it would have been cheaper to pay the ebay markup but wheres the fun in that.

Yes but he's awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

15 down, 95 to go!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

xtothez posted:

Any new whispers on the Tyranid codex?

I thought that had already been announced for middle of november. I'll check.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

dexefiend posted:

15 down, 95 to go!

Make sure to train your children to continue your great work when you pass.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Thundercloud posted:

I thought that had already been announced for middle of november. I'll check.

Next codex is Eldar or Nids. Then the other one of those 2 after that.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I'm trying to put together a small, elite CSM list and would appreciate feedback.

No one who I play locally runs hordes of any kind so I'm not too worried about dealing with 250 guardsmen. The Rhino is in there because I was ~70 points shy of 2000 and don't have any more terminator models.

Total CP: 7

++ Vanguard Detachment++

Black Legion

Abaddon the Despoiler

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour

Chaos Terminators
5. Combi-meltas, powerfists, reaper autocannon

Helbrute
Power scourge, Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Helbrute
Twin lascannon, Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Chaos Rhino

++ Vanguard Detachment ++

Black Legion

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour
Eye of Tzeentch, Death Hex, Warptime

Chaos Terminators
5. Flamers and axes

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought
. Left Arm: Hellflamer, Hellforged chainclaw
. Right Arm: Butcher cannon

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought
. Left Arm: Hellflamer, Hellforged chainclaw
. Right Arm: Butcher cannon

++ Total: [98 PL, 1996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the Greyfax model is one of the best female ones they have.

I dunno. I think the problem is an oversexualization of female Models, such as the female Tech-Priest Dominus who is completely robotic except for her chest and her tits just happen to be hanging out.

It would make sense for someone like Greyfax to have ornate armor. It would make sense to have another female inquisitor with just basic power armor.

I think the answer is a mix of ornate armored models and some that are just wearing normal gear or clothes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The beef against boob armor is that armor with hard separate boob cups is both not historic and also would be very bad armor that is more likely to kill you than save you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How are you supposed to know your mans are womans if they don't have megatits and lipstick