Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It's so beautiful, I'm in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

The air model has the same silhouette as Ralph Wiggum being thrown through the Simpson’s window :laffo:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think people have been painting their 3D prints as Ralph after seeing it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Also, after I finish moving, I want to see about buying some sheets of SLDF decals, and also if I can get some custom sheets of Macross decals (UEDF and Skull & Crossbones so I can expand Skull Company), are there any good recs for a provider?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, managed to get half my completed company of DC Sword of Light ruined when the wind whipped up while I was priming other models and proceeded to carry white paint over them after I had varnished them and set them far to the side (:argh:), but here's the survivors:

Also finally decided on Marik Militia and House Hiritsu for my FWL and Capellan lances. Liked the color schemes and I did kind of like the Aris Sung novels featuring Hiritsu; maybe I'll paint up a spare Stinger and/or Wraith in that style in addition to the lance of each I'm planning. Got the paint finished for the Militia, just need the decals and basing (also varnishing, but I'm gonna wait a while on that until I'm not concerned about stroking out at the thought...):

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If they were already varnished you may be able to just remove the specks of paint with a gentle wipe of acetone on a cotton bud.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arquinsiel posted:

If they were already varnished you may be able to just remove the specks of paint with a gentle wipe of acetone on a cotton bud.

Not really specks but a light coating (you can see a little on the front of the Shilone base/stem to get an idea; that was the least harmed though), but I'll give it a shot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least the base is definitely an easy fix :unsmith:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alright, I've got my Kerensky's Orion sitting in a fresh 50% dilution of LA's totally awesome, the Ultrasonic Cleaner's up to temperature, and it's on a 30 minute cycle.

Let's see if that paint will come off.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alright, I've got my Kerensky's Orion sitting in a fresh 50% dilution of LA's totally awesome, the Ultrasonic Cleaner's up to temperature, and it's on a 30 minute cycle.

Let's see if that paint will come off.

Good luck, and Kerensky be with you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
After 30 minutes, most of the blacklining has been killed, as has the silver & blue metallic paint inside the weapon barrels.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I remember my biggest actual concern with Alpha Strike's alternate RfEDP (roll for each damage point) optional rule: It skews the points curve in favor of high damage units even more.

1) Under the standard rules, crit chances are even which gives inexpensive, low damage units a niche as crit hunters (especially in numbers). Under the RfEDP alternate rule, units with higher damage become significantly better crit seekers than low damage units. Even if they can only score one critical hit per turn, they get so many more opportunities for the random through-armor crit.

2) The guarantee of being able to split fire, even at a ToHit penalty, means that the high damage unit is no longer wasting some of its time by finishing off a weakened unit. In standard play, a Timber Wolf that does 7 damage to a Blackjack and leaves it at 2 structure either has to waste 5 of its damage finishing it off on the next turn or move on to a different target and hope a weaker teammate can finish it off. With RfEDP, it just finishes off the Blackjack and immediately rolls into something else.

With RfEDP it's never worthwhile to bring those cheap, low-cost units that you'd normally use to finish off a weakened target or critseek.

Excellent points! I think bigger units with more firepower being able to roll more crits kind of reflects how they would work in BattleTech - if you’re rolling for 10 different weapons systems, the chance for you to get those floating crits or headshots just goes up a lot. But you are definitely right in the method making them more powerful.

I think that low-cost units do still have a role - if they’re fast and can get those rear shots in. I’ve noticed that fast hovers like Harassers are killer in Alpha Strike. Impossible to hit with their TMM of 4, and the two damage they output goes up to three when shooting in the rear, which is what they will definitely do with their movement of 20”.

What really loses any use case scenario in Alpha Strike are cheap SLOW units. Perfect for random OpFor I suppose.

On your point 2: This is actually the part I dislike about the way multiple attack rolls are written in the book. I prefer to roll all the dice at once and if I want to split my fire, I need to designate a certain amount of damage to the primary and secondary targets FIRST (much like BattleTech).

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 18, 2024

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

It's been several years since I played Alpha Strike, but when I did we always just used the basic system. Might have been part of why I didn't particularly care for it.

Depending on how many years it’s been, the rules might’ve changed a bit (for the better, as far as I can tell). The first edition of Alpha Strike seems to have had some weirdness to it and the appendix and then Commander’s Edition took steps to fix the weirdness.

I definitely recommend trying AS with multiple attack rolls or the pilot die a try. It’s a cool game. Better yet - put it on a hexmap for some true lightning-fast BattleTech fun. I played a hexmap Alpha Strike lance vs lance game in about half an hour the other day.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Southern Assault does option 3, with the caveat that you designate a pair of dice as your crit dice. This set rolls with everyone else, but you can only sneak a crit in if this pair rolls a natural 12.

I still managed to lose a pristine Warhammer to someone rolling 2 12’s in a row like that, but at that point the odds are so stacked against it happening that i couldn’t even be mad. I also like that every attack could potentially finish a mech no matter what, even if the odds are tiny.

Interesting compromise. Takes away the feelsbad of RAW but keeps the critical hit chance at the intended level. I’m considering a follow-up to my video because I’m getting a ton of GREAT discussion on this, including here :)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The chad answer is to simply not feel bad about your dice results in a board game.

Single Attack Role supremacy.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

a cyborg mug posted:

It’s been real hard finding the time to sit down and make a video recently, but I wanted to get this one out before I go on vacation.

https://youtu.be/E1r5CuxEr2o?si=v_9G33YoGpqMfBiu

It’s about rolling dice in Alpha Strike. I go through the four options I know of:

Option 1: RAW: Throw 2d6 and deliver full damage if hit
Option 2: From the rulebook, as above but roll 1d6 per damage point and any 3+ rolls hit (why would anyone use this?)
Option 3: From the rulebook, roll 2d6 per every damage point
Option 4: DFA ”pilot die” method, roll one big die and then 1d6 per damage point, add up each 1d6 and pilot die to see if you hit

In what was quite a surprise to me, all of the methods apart from #2 result in the exact same damage statistically. See Pile of Dice’s excellent breakdown of the math here: https://zacgaming.wordpress.com/2020/11/16/alpha-strike-multiple-damage/

Where the difference lies is most of all critical hits and how the game feels.

In my simulated 10000 rolls to hit, RAW had a critical hit chance of 2.32%. Pilot die more than doubled that to 5.32%. 2d6 per damage point tripled RAW to 7.35%. And I forgot to mention it in the video but my calculations did take into account the fact that you can only get one natural 12 critical in the multiple attack rolls and pilot die methods. This does change the game a lot because criticals will bring back some of that detail and granularity and BattleTech feel back into the abstracted Alpha Strike experience.

Pilot die and multiple attack rolls also make the game feel a bit more like BattleTech where you’re not just firing a big laser once, but multiple weapons systems. Multiple attack rolls even allows you to target multiple enemy units by dividing your damage. RAW has the potential to feel really bad because you might whiff your biggest attacks all at once - even if the numbers are the same statistically, the potential for feelsbad is elevated compared to the other options.

Icon of Sin posted:

Southern Assault does option 3, with the caveat that you designate a pair of dice as your crit dice. This set rolls with everyone else, but you can only sneak a crit in if this pair rolls a natural 12.

Yeah, I played with a group in the DMV that does the multiple rolls but one set of dice are your crit dice and really, really liked it. I felt my lights and mediums survived a lot longer as one hit didn't destroy your Fire Moth immediately.

MadDogMike posted:

Also finally decided on Marik Militia and House Hiritsu for my FWL and Capellan lances. Liked the color schemes and I did kind of like the Aris Sung novels featuring Hiritsu; maybe I'll paint up a spare Stinger and/or Wraith in that style in addition to the lance of each I'm planning. Got the paint finished for the Militia, just need the decals and basing (also varnishing, but I'm gonna wait a while on that until I'm not concerned about stroking out at the thought...):

Hey, I just painted some Marik Militia for a graduating senior in my game club this week!

NinjaDebugger posted:

When they said the UrbieLAMs were just a joke and not legal I didn't think they'd make Alpha Strike cards for them, because that actually makes them playable. We live in an Age of Wonders.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 18, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Since nobody got back to me on that discord question I went to make one, only to remember that someone else had mentioned this to me months back and I had already started doing it: https://discord.gg/kpYSVKHK

a cyborg mug posted:

Excellent points! I think bigger units with more firepower being able to roll more crits kind of reflects how they would work in BattleTech - if you’re rolling for 10 different weapons systems, the chance for you to get those floating crits or headshots just goes up a lot. But you are definitely right in the method making them more powerful.
See that's the thing where Alpha Strike's granularity stops earlier and still leaves lights under-served. Who has the better chance of rolling more through-armour crits in each game: a Hellstar or a Javellin?

a cyborg mug posted:

Depending on how many years it’s been, the rules might’ve changed a bit (for the better, as far as I can tell). The first edition of Alpha Strike seems to have had some weirdness to it and the appendix and then Commander’s Edition took steps to fix the weirdness.

I definitely recommend trying AS with multiple attack rolls or the pilot die a try. It’s a cool game. Better yet - put it on a hexmap for some true lightning-fast BattleTech fun. I played a hexmap Alpha Strike lance vs lance game in about half an hour the other day.
They almost certainly have changed, but the few times I played it didn't really engage me that much. We were always doing huge multiplayer games and for some reason Alpha Strike didn't really do much to change the size of the games, how long they lasted, how many things died etc. It just made the gameplay less fun and groggy for me. I know others from the group loved it and play it regularly though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I am dishonored warrior TrashbornKicker3050. I first started clawing people with my toenails when I was still in the sibko. By the time of my trial of position I became preoccupied with the concept of “Jade Hawks” and thought about them constantly, until my thought process became unClanlike and I would repeat things like “I jump 5 and overheat 9” and “I falcoom my srms and claw” in my head for hours, and I would get really aggressive, start painting EI implants on my face with highliters etc, basically turning into a protomech. I always wondered what the kind of “post malvina” style of fighting was all about. I think it’s the scientists putting bird genes in our vats, basically the mind of a big parrot expressed through the body of trueborn warrior. I would advise all people who “get” partial wings to be careful as it likely means you have a predisposition to bad decisions. Seyla

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

General Battuta posted:

I am dishonored warrior TrashbornKicker3050. I first started clawing people with my toenails when I was still in the sibko. By the time of my trial of position I became preoccupied with the concept of “Jade Hawks” and thought about them constantly, until my thought process became unClanlike and I would repeat things like “I jump 5 and overheat 9” and “I falcoom my srms and claw” in my head for hours, and I would get really aggressive, start painting EI implants on my face with highliters etc, basically turning into a protomech. I always wondered what the kind of “post malvina” style of fighting was all about. I think it’s the scientists putting bird genes in our vats, basically the mind of a big parrot expressed through the body of trueborn warrior. I would advise all people who “get” partial wings to be careful as it likely means you have a predisposition to bad decisions. Seyla

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The Commander's Edition of Alpha Strike is going to undergo a revision to try to organize it better and I really wish I could be part of that editing team just to cut down on wordiness and get to the meat of the rules. So many lance/star abilities or pilot abilities are just... 50% fluff, with rules interwoven. I love fluff, but separate it and put it at the start or end, not interwoven.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
If they use the Battlemech Manual as a template, that'd be an awesome revised AS rulebook

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We played our first game trying to properly use the LAM rules, which meant I had to do a lot of learning of the WiGE rules. This means in theory I should be able to add WiGEs to games going forward, which is neat.

However, another question came up that I'm not sure if I overlooked in the rules or if I'm just not understanding fully.

Let's say the LAM is in AirMech mode and chooses to set its movement speed to flanking. The pilot decides to land, but has MP remaining. Since you've landed, are you just done moving for the turn? You can't "flank" across the ground, right? It would have to be a Walk or Run and you can't combine movement modes as far as I can tell.

Also, not being able to torso twist as an AirMech really cuts down on their usability. I didn't realize how limiting that would be.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Let's say the LAM is in AirMech mode and chooses to set its movement speed to flanking. The pilot decides to land, but has MP remaining. Since you've landed, are you just done moving for the turn? You can't "flank" across the ground, right? It would have to be a Walk or Run and you can't combine movement modes as far as I can tell.

LAMs in AirMech have separate WiGE and ground movement, their ground speeds in AirMech are w1/r2. If you land, your movement ends.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

PoptartsNinja posted:

their ground speeds in AirMech are w1/r2.

:stare: I need to read that section again. Thanks!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it helps, their statline will usually read [walk]/[run]/[cruise]/[flank], so for example 1/2/8/12

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The format I have doesn't list Walk or Run under AirMech mode, so I was using the BattleMech mode stats. Whoops.

I also see there's a "fuel" stat, but I'm guessing this doesn't affect AirMech mode?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
wolfhound 2x

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends are big into this right now and I've been waiting 15+ years for them to get into a minis game where I don't need to assemble anything. I see there's a lot of mechs named after big ol' cats. Are any of them good? I mean obviously there's the Mad Cat, I remember that one from MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Any 'mech you like the looks of is a good 'mech. BattleTech isn't WYSIWYG, so you can proxy any unit you want as long as you can tell what you're using apart.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I think most/all of the 'Cat' mechs are clan designs and have been around long enough that they'll have good variants. There are some exceptions - the Hellcat is stupid new and pretty much only exists because people really liked the Hellhound redesign back in Mechwarrior 4, so it's only got two variants. It's also from the IlClan era, so it's got some fancy tech in it that's probably a bad idea for a 50 tonner.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There’s a Panther and it’s got little cat ears on its head.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
the nova cat is one of the least feline mechs i've ever seen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Apparently in Germany the Mad Cat is called the Catamaran!?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can see how that happens.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Man, how do you get your highlight lines so clean?

Dingo with a joint posted:

the nova cat is one of the least feline mechs i've ever seen.

You've just earned yourself a Trial of Grievance you surat. Nova Cat (B) for life.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Tried to copy your sand bases, Nebalebadingdong. Not sure if it's really that much easier, but it sure is a lot more fun :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

inscrutable horse posted:

Tried to copy your sand bases, Nebalebadingdong. Not sure if it's really that much easier, but it sure is a lot more fun :)

you loving nailed it! they go faster as you practice them. consider it a race to see if you can paint the base faster that way than putting on the basing material and waiting for it to dry and all that.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

i actually think the lines are kinda chunky on that one. folks like arclight miniatures put out such clean models, i'm trying to aspire to be more like them

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

inscrutable horse posted:

execution wise this is fantastic. I just wish it was a different color, like plum into lavender highlights. I think that would make it pop

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LifeLynx posted:

My friends are big into this right now and I've been waiting 15+ years for them to get into a minis game where I don't need to assemble anything. I see there's a lot of mechs named after big ol' cats. Are any of them good? I mean obviously there's the Mad Cat, I remember that one from MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Mad Cat isn't named after a cat, it's because it's a mixture of a Marauder and a Catapult.

Nova Cat is a Clan that has a totem heavy Mech named after themselves.
Smoke Jaguar is another Clan, who field the Ebon Jaguar, a popular heavy Mech.
Tiger is a tank, largely because the early days of the game had some Wehraboos making decisions.
Leopard is a dropship.
So is the Lion.
Cheetah is an Aerospace Fighter.
Jaguar is a somewhat obscure light scout Mech.
Cougar is a ubiquitous Clan light Mech.
Lynx is kind of a wet fart of a medium Mech.

That's about all the big cat names I could find.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You've just earned yourself a Trial of Grievance you surat. Nova Cat (B) for life.

it looks like a mall cop. why would a feline clan sign off on an appearance like that? head-shakin' stuff, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GD_American posted:

Mad Cat isn't named after a cat, it's because it's a mixture of a Marauder and a Catapult.

Nova Cat is a Clan that has a totem heavy Mech named after themselves.
Smoke Jaguar is another Clan, who field the Ebon Jaguar, a popular heavy Mech.
Tiger is a tank, largely because the early days of the game had some Wehraboos making decisions.
Leopard is a dropship.
So is the Lion.
Cheetah is an Aerospace Fighter.
Jaguar is a somewhat obscure light scout Mech.
Cougar is a ubiquitous Clan light Mech.
Lynx is kind of a wet fart of a medium Mech.

That's about all the big cat names I could find.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cave_Lion