Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I've been trying to figure out forever if that is actually possible because I can't find if they have the same base circle and journal size and stuff. I don't think adapting the trigger wheel would be hard, but I've never managed to confirm if the cams actually fit in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The M62TUB44 does have a little change on the intake manifold. Right around 3500 RPMS it feels like a super charge took hold and really winds out quite nicely. These V8's are awesome. And they LOVE to rev.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
According to the wiki:
"The engine design also included slightly larger mass-airflow sensor and lower flow intake plenum runners which improved lower RPM torque characteristics at the cost of some high-rpm flow. Non-"TUB" intake manifolds can be transplanted onto a M62TUB44 engine to improve high (>3400) RPM torque and power characteristics"

I'm starting to like the idea of the 5-series. But then i can't swap over my 5k old suspension from my 3-series or any other parts. Do people buy used suspension? I'd be relearning a new car, and would have to buy a new bentley manual too ....

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lowclock posted:

That sounds pretty reasonable for highway mileage. The V8s don't have the VANOS problems that the 6s had, so I would go for one if it was available, but wouldn't limit my search to only those.

E: VVVV Where'd you find that? Everything I've ever read is that that the VANOS and non-vanos motors are almost exactly the same as far as peak power, technically both losing out to the M60 as far as like cam duration and lift and valve sizes and stuff. From the factory the M60 revs higher too.

While no one is really sure why (maybe different intake/exhaust) the non-vanos motors usually dyno higher, around 260-280 at the wheels. And just so I'm not talking out of my rear end, https://www.bmw540ifun.com/Dynos&QtrMile.htm

Of course the Vanos motors will feel smoother with more low rpm torque, but there is half decent evidence to support the early e39 540s are underrated from the factory.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Threw some new summer wheels/tires on the wagon last night, thought I'd grab a snapshot before heading out this morning:

Going from nice Michelin Arctic snow tires to sticky Kumho XSes takes it from responsible mom-wagon to and honest-to-goodness sport wagon.

Any other E46 wagon owners here? I need to ask someone for advice on getting into the rear shock mounts in a wagon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E30 content...

Well I still haven't found any good replacement brilliantrot parts for my 318iS and I'm not too keen on spending 3-4k to get it fixed at a body shop so I'm thinking of parting it out.

Its really hard for me to talk myself into doing it but as much as I'd like to see this car stay on the road, even if it went to another owner, I really can't justify spending the money to fix it. Especially since it wouldn't be more than a 4k car after everything is fixed.

:(

I could keep the suspension, summer wheels, brakes and 1.9z3 rack for use in another car...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

This crease is the bad news:

Low value cars that look and feel nice suck to scrap. I don't know what I'm doing with mine yet, but I'd rather drive the fully driveable damaged 328 than this damned rental corolla

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm getting bummed about my sunroof/headliner project. I'm thinking about just putting my original broken unit back in and just leaving it disabled. Also tried applying headliner to a test piece and while it went on totally smooth, it's got a bad texture for some reason. It's possible I didn't apply the glue smoothly enough but if that's the case then I'm screwed. I'm hoping it will smooth out when it cures.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If anyone in upstate NY wants my 2001 330Ci for $6,500, it's yours, otherwise I am trading it in on an FR-S.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BraveUlysses posted:

E30 content...

Well I still haven't found any good replacement brilliantrot parts for my 318iS and I'm not too keen on spending 3-4k to get it fixed at a body shop so I'm thinking of parting it out.

Its really hard for me to talk myself into doing it but as much as I'd like to see this car stay on the road, even if it went to another owner, I really can't justify spending the money to fix it. Especially since it wouldn't be more than a 4k car after everything is fixed.

I could keep the suspension, summer wheels, brakes and 1.9z3 rack for use in another car...

Sometimes you really have to give up. I poured ~1500 into my e30 with a myterious electrical issue before I decided to put it up for sale. After sitting so long I realized i'd have to replace the entire brake system and probably redo the suspension on a car I could only sell for 5k CAD if it was mint.

On the flipside, I just caught this ad from montreal:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BMW-540i-1995-E34-manuel-6-vitesses-DOIT-PARTIR-W0QQAdIdZ379253485

Sure it's got 240km, but if it is actually rust free and the paintwork is good I'd buy it in a second. I've never even seen a 540i/6spd for sale anywhere in my province. Just hope he'll deal with an anglophone...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wow that is a cherry example and a pretty good price too! :swoon: My french is awful but I assume it's got good maintenance records?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Buy that right now. 6-speed 540i e34's are the best car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

Wow that is a cherry example and a pretty good price too! :swoon: My french is awful but I assume it's got good maintenance records?

No mention of any records yet. I sent him a google translated response in case he doesn't speak english. Honestly, as long as the rust-free part is true I'd be all over it. E34 540s, let alone 6 speeds, are rare as hell (or nonexistant) in nova scotia. I'd looking for a long time and had given up last summer when I bought my 330i. It's only a 200 dollar plane ride away if he still has it.

I wish it had the sport seats and a better interior colour than retirement beige, but I'll take what I can get.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Make sure to get the VIN first so you don't buy someone's swapped automatic, too.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Voltage posted:

If anyone in upstate NY wants my 2001 330Ci for $6,500, it's yours, otherwise I am trading it in on an FR-S.

If it was a 4-door I would have given quite a bit of thought to this, even though I'm in CA. I'm getting $6600 and my car back from AAA due to the accident. I could take $8100 and no car, but there's easily $1500 worth of stuff I can get on it, plus it's totally driveable until I find a new one, so I can take my time.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lowclock posted:

Make sure to get the VIN first so you don't buy someone's swapped automatic, too.

Yeah I'll obviously run a car proof before flying out to buy anything.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3012589235.html
This looks pretty solid. I'm going to drive it tomorrow. I remember reading something saying that sport 330 stuff wont work with non sport 328 though. I have to imagine all the mounting points are the same right? I'm most concerned about being able to swap over my H&R touring kit.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
New headliner went on good and smooth. Phew. Now I just have to recover the c/a pillars and parcel shelf.

I think I'm giving up on the sunroof. I'm just going to recover the shuttle and jam it back together. Way too confusing to try and repair.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

New headliner went on good and smooth. Phew. Now I just have to recover the c/a pillars and parcel shelf.
What kind of glue and material are you using for it?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Permatex headliner/carpet adhesive. I got the material from Pelican. I'm kind of annoyed because the color wasn't even close so I have to cover all the rest of the pieces to match.

E: Oh yeah I had the coils out, ICV out, vacuum hoses out, TB off, TPS, cruise, etc disconnected and got the car back together and it fired up right away without a check engine light on the first try. Always love that.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 18, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Carproofed the 540.

:negative:

Mileage listed on kijiji is only 1500km on top of what it had in 2008. Even if 6k in repairs was done right, I can't trust a car that basically hasn't been driven in 4 years.

There are two other 540i/6spds listed, but both have close to 300000km and are black. I will never buy another black car as long as I live.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Crustashio posted:

I will never buy another black car as long as I live.

How come? Pain in the rear end to keep clean? I test drove the 330 I linked earlier last night and aside from being black I love it. Is it really that much of a nightmare?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Yes. Water spots, scratches, every paint defect is magnified. Looks amazing the one day a week it's clean though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Deceptor101 posted:

How come? Pain in the rear end to keep clean? I test drove the 330 I linked earlier last night and aside from being black I love it. Is it really that much of a nightmare?

If you have indoor parking, it's not so bad. If you park outdoors, have fun cleaning your car every week. I made the mistake of buying a jet black 330i and have regretted that ever since. It takes 2-3 days for it to look dirty again. I don't even wash my arctic silver e36 beater and all it takes is a lovely gas station wash to look good.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My E46 is black, my E34 was black, and my next BMW will probably be black (or very dark blue). If you park in a garage it's really not that bad.

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004
hi folks.. bit of a noise coming out of the M60B40 in my '95 e38.. http://youtu.be/XwUDKjVA8M0

I heard another video on youtube which sorta sounds the same which the guy said was a bad injector.. could it be that simple?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Got my black BMW washed for my cousin's wedding, drove 225 miles to their city in the rain, car looked like it rolled out of Mad Max. Washed it again when I arrived. Washed it two days later for the wedding because the rain resulted in cars tracking mud on to the roadway and it getting super dusty after the rain storm. Then I had to wash it after I returned home. So I washed it four times in one weekend, which cost me almost as much as the gas to drive there round trip.

Car looks like a million bucks when it's clean though :c00l:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm exhausted. I finally gave up on my sunroof job and I'm going to buy another casette. Those things are bitches. They don't appear too bad to disassemble when they are all functioning but when they are broken and off the track, they pretty much will not come apart. I've already spent like 250-300 on this drat project and now I'm going to drop another 150-200 on a third loving cassette.

Headliner looks pretty good though, so I'm going to buy the correct calypsorot sedan sunroof, bolt it in and put it back together and call it a day.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

jabadoo posted:

hi folks.. bit of a noise coming out of the M60B40 in my '95 e38.. http://youtu.be/XwUDKjVA8M0

I heard another video on youtube which sorta sounds the same which the guy said was a bad injector.. could it be that simple?

I swear I've heard this exact noise before, and it was either the little PCV diaphram/plate thing on the back of the intake manifold or the oil separator. I think it was the latter but I can't remember. Maybe that will point you to the right direction.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Crustashio posted:

If you have indoor parking, it's not so bad. If you park outdoors, have fun cleaning your car every week. I made the mistake of buying a jet black 330i and have regretted that ever since. It takes 2-3 days for it to look dirty again. I don't even wash my arctic silver e36 beater and all it takes is a lovely gas station wash to look good.

This is exactly the car I'd be buying. I park outside at home and outside at work. I'm not super anal about my car looking fantastic, most of the time I don't care. I'd honestly rather get a steel blue car like I had, but I just can't seem to find any. This one is in good condition, comes with a lot of bonuses, like 6-speed, cold and sport package, a bunch of spare parts, nav unit, etc. Probably worth it to deal with the black right?

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So this is what I currently drive:

it's a 91 318is, 225k on it. Yes, that is the best picture I have. I'm currently considering picking up an s54-equipped M Coupe. Someone tell me this isn't a horrible idea?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you can deal with a 2 seater and are willing to pay the price premium (Mcoupes pretty much demand 5-8k premium on equivalent condition M3s), go for it. Only downside of the S54 coupe is it still uses the S52 5speed. The cars themselves are awesome, even the S52 felt really fast.

Also, if you do look at one make sure to check for rear trunk floor failures, especially if you plan to autocross/track it. And get ready for a tail-happy car.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 20, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

goml23 posted:

So this is what I currently drive:

it's a 91 318is, 225k on it. Yes, that is the best picture I have. I'm currently considering picking up an s54-equipped M Coupe. Someone tell me this isn't a horrible idea?

Was in the same position as you, I got one and kept my e30.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass

Crustashio posted:

If you can deal with a 2 seater and are willing to pay the price premium (Mcoupes pretty much demand 5-8k premium on equivalent condition M3s), go for it. Only downside of the S54 coupe is it still uses the S52 5speed. The cars themselves are awesome, even the S52 felt really fast.

Also, if you do look at one make sure to check for rear trunk floor failures, especially if you plan to autocross/track it. And get ready for a tail-happy car.

Before the e30 I had a Miata, and with the sport seats and my un-sporty gut this one may as well be a 2-seater too. How drastic is the M-tax on parts/service? I'd love to be able to keep both, parking is an issue as it is though.

goml23 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 20, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

goml23 posted:

Before the e30 I had a Mistake, and with the sport seats and my un-sporty gut this one may as well be a 2-seater too. How drastic is the M-tax on parts/service? I'd love to be able to keep both, parking is an issue as it is though.

Since the running costs on an E30 are close enough to nil when it's not being driven all that often I'd say get the M-Coupe and keep both.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
What the hell caused the bottom to fall out of the market on the e37 coupes/roadsters all of the sudden? The money from selling my cabrio is burning a hole in my pocket and I feel incomplete not owning 3 S50/52 powered cars at any one time.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2969172471.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/2971494778.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
M roadsters never had the premium price like the M coupes do. Mcoupes have only had prices go up and up.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My passenger power seat tilt motor stripped its gears and is stuck in the utmost forward position. I tried odometer gears, does anyone else know where I could source some new gears? 01 330CI.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BraveUlysses posted:

M roadsters never had the premium price like the M coupes do. Mcoupes have only had prices go up and up.

They've still always had quite a premium over e36m3's. Now I can pick a 37 up that's decently maintained/clean for the same money (+ perhaps a small premium that's worth it, IMO for the rarity) for a well documented and well maintained e36m3. Its just interesting to me the different dynamics that exist in the market for what are mechanically nearly the same car that should have been marketed to nearly the same market.

e: I guess while everyone else is having electrical problems I'll shoot this out there to see if anyone has any ideas.
e36m3 Sedan. Stock other than pink injectors, shark, supersprint exhaust & afe intake. Car has not given me a single issue in my ~15k of ownership other than needing a new water pump, thermostat and I replaced the radiator while I was in there with a Mishi ~7.5k ago.
The HVAC head unit has been wonky for the last little while. It hasn't been summer and I mostly do highway driving so not having AC when it was misbehaving wasn't an issue. Well I finally got around to pulling the head and replacing the cap that is commonly reported as going out. It didn't fix my issue. The head still randomly goes in and out. I can smack it to make it come back on, sometimes. I think the main issue is a short in the harness itself. Fresh battery last week. Pulled the alternator today, tested just fine.
I can jump the car and it will run on its own fine at idle for as long as I want it to but as soon as I start driving, I get the ABS/ASC lights on (which usually indicate voltage issues) within a mile or so. Then my gauges freak out, start flipping all over the place, radio cuts out and OBC goes off then it runs rough until it dies. I pulled the final stage resistor--the AC compressor is constantly flipping on and off so I figured it was related but that didn't solve the issue and I can't find the blower relay. The service manual shows it clipped on to the heater core but I cannot for the life of me find it. However I still have the issue with the final stage unit out. Anyone have any ideas or help finding the blower resistor?

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

the spyder posted:

My passenger power seat tilt motor stripped its gears and is stuck in the utmost forward position. I tried odometer gears, does anyone else know where I could source some new gears? 01 330CI.
I doubt there is such a thing unless you mean just the little cable tip part or a whole seat frame. Are you sure it's not the cable like what happens on earlier ones where it makes a grinding noise but doesn't move, or does it like actually tilt back and forth loosely like the gear teeth are completely gone? The first one is easily fixable with no parts, the second one, not really.