Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"A cop gets horribly injured and is turned into a cyborg law enforcer by a corporation, then at the end the bad guy is a dude in a suit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's the plot, not the premise.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Lurdiak posted:

That's what I was trying to do, but it wasn't working out, I had to re-adjust it every 3 seconds.

What about trying a different SRT file from the web? I think VLC lets you play custom SRT files with DVDs, if you're even playing a DVD.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been awhile since I watched it, but the most striking thing to me was that the movie seemed to want to talk about military occupation and police brutality, but then the conclusion of the movie involves a long "Go get 'em Robocop" where he's gunning down dozens of faceless, bloodless, gutless bad guys; it's like an old cowboy movie or watching someone play a FPS.

That was ok because it was a person deciding to kill them. The whole point was that it's wrong to have an unmanned drone deciding who lives or dies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

Robocop 2014 might have been ok if it was just a movie that approaches a similar premise to Robocop but does it differently.

This is exactly what it is.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dr_Amazing posted:

That was ok because it was a person deciding to kill them. The whole point was that it's wrong to have an unmanned drone deciding who lives or dies.

Oh ok Dirty Harry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zwille posted:

What about trying a different SRT file from the web? I think VLC lets you play custom SRT files with DVDs, if you're even playing a DVD.

This is the only file I could find. :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr_Amazing posted:

That is a very weird political statement. "If technology and bureaucracy get out of hand, our fascist violence will lose its vivacity!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

That is a very weird political statement. "If technology and bureaucracy get out of hand, our fascist violence will lose its vivacity!"

The return of imperialism, in other words.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I know there is probably no answer, but why the hell didn't Kappa alert the the rest of the crew as soon as the Icarus told him there was a 5th in Sunshine? I understand that he was mad at Johny Storm and everything but it pulls me right of the movie.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I'm trying to find a definition for essay film, and I came upon this quote, but I can't really get a grasp on it: "a form of expression and representation that necessarily relinquishes a self to events, actions and objects outside the authority of her own subjective expressions and representations"

Could someone explain this in plain english for me?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

I know there is probably no answer, but why the hell didn't Kappa alert the the rest of the crew as soon as the Icarus told him there was a 5th in Sunshine? I understand that he was mad at Johny Storm and everything but it pulls me right of the movie.

I feel like there was a technical reason for this, but I don't remember it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I watched Birdman, and I don't get it. Someone explain to me why it won best picture.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

KyloWinter posted:

I watched Birdman, and I don't get it. Someone explain to me why it won best picture.

It's a movie about movies with an impressive gimmick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

Have you ever seen Tim Burton's Batman?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

KyloWinter posted:

It's good.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Lurdiak posted:

Ya like 15 years ago.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't put words in my mouth I can't take back.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Don't put words in my mouth I can't take back.

eyyyy, Burton's Batman is alright. it's got a dogshit script, but Keaton and Nicholson salvage it and there's some rad production design.

Returns is better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Basically all the parts that are just Michael Keaton or just Jack Nicholson are amazing though. Keaton is my favorite Bruce Wayne, by a long shot.

"I think it's Japanese"
"How do you know"
"Because I bought it in Japan?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Basically all the parts that are just Michael Keaton or just Jack Nicholson are amazing though. Keaton is my favorite Bruce Wayne, by a long shot.

"I think it's Japanese"
"How do you know"
"Because I bought it in Japan?"

yeah i don't dislike Bale but Keaton gets Bruce Wayne as weirdo eccentric better than anyone. that scene in particular is great (also i love Robert Wuhl).

the scene in Returns when he and Selina Kyle figure out each other's secret identities is one of the best scenes in any superhero movie, easily.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i don't dislike Bale but Keaton gets Bruce Wayne as weirdo eccentric better than anyone. that scene in particular is great (also i love Robert Wuhl).

the scene in Returns when he and Selina Kyle figure out each other's secret identities is one of the best scenes in any superhero movie, easily.

Yeah.

I think Bale's a great actor, but I really don't care about his Bruce Wayne. His problems are all so bullshitty. The Dark Knight is the only movie where I appreciate his character at all. He seems genuinely conflicted between wanting to be with Rachel because she makes him feel like a person, and being a weird goon. It's just that Bale's Bruce is so serious, he takes being a weird goon so seriously. Like, he's the sort of guy who posts about tactical realism. Keaton's, by comparison knows he's weird and treats the world with a much more childlike wonder. Like he's playing Bruce as someone who never got to grow up, while Bale is playing him as one who grew up too fast. There's nothing inherently wrong with the way Nolan/Bale do Bruce, but I just think he just comes off kind of flat in those movies.

I really need to watch Batman 1969 again. I grew up watching that movie, but I probably never watched it again after watching "the other ones" which at that time consisted of Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever. For this reason I still have a soft spot for Batman Forever. I definitely had a sweet toy of the batmobile from that movie, which to young me was so awesome looking.

Never liked Batman and Robin. Not even a little. First it's a bad movie, but also I feel like it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't need batman to be "serious business", but in the world where Batman exists, other characters should take him seriously. Batman and Robin makes makes everything into this horribly cheesy joke where everything is covered in neon and plastic. It's like a live-action version of a bad cartoon.

Which is funny since the animated series was so good. I definitely want to watch through the entire series, cause I know there're episodes I missed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Bale's Bruce is so serious, he takes being a weird goon so seriously. Like, he's the sort of guy who posts about tactical realism.

i don't at all disagree, but i also don't think that's a bad way to play the character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't at all disagree, but i also don't think that's a bad way to play the character.

Yeah, I would like to see that take on the character in a script that works with it. I feel like the Nolan films weakest element is the viewer's relationship with Bruce/Batman. He's so detached, and you can tell that other characters find him mysterious, but for the viewer there's no mystery. What's not obvious he says to Alfred/us, or Rachel explains to him/us.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, I would like to see that take on the character in a script that works with it. I feel like the Nolan films weakest element is the viewer's relationship with Bruce/Batman. He's so detached, and you can tell that other characters find him mysterious, but for the viewer there's no mystery. What's not obvious he says to Alfred/us, or Rachel explains to him/us.

i like the first two movies a lot but yeah they clearly run out of things to say about bruce like halfway through the second one

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i like the first two movies a lot but yeah they clearly run out of things to say about bruce like halfway through the second one

I actually don't like Begins at all. But in general, Nolan is good at interesting conflict between or within characters, but he's not great at getting the viewers to relate or empathize to characters.

Interstellar was a step forward there, I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I personally find Begins to be the very first non-animated Batman film where Bruce Wayne is a character at all, rather than a set of motions the film goes through to remind you that Batman is a billionaire as well as a ninja who throws grenades (???). Keaton does his level best, but he has less than nothing to work with, he's just a typical Tim Burton awkward weirdo with zero depth. Who sleeps upside down. Like a bat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anytime anyone talks about the difference in playing Batman and Bruce Wayne I always think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

Kevin Conroy did a really good job differentiating the characters in his voice work on the TV show too, I kinda wish there'd been a scene like this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Anytime anyone talks about the difference in playing Batman and Bruce Wayne I always think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

Kevin Conroy did a really good job differentiating the characters in his voice work on the TV show too, I kinda wish there'd been a scene like this.

That does remind me of one of my favorite moments in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKf2fEwN9xs

Not included: Bruce Wayne having a huge tantrum, declaring that Batman ruined his life and must be stopped, breaking into a hardware shop to acquire tools. It's basically a Batman villain origin. I love this show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That does remind me of one of my favorite moments in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKf2fEwN9xs

Not included: Bruce Wayne having a huge tantrum, declaring that Batman ruined his life and must be stopped, breaking into a hardware shop to acquire tools. It's basically a Batman villain origin. I love this show.

Yeah, B:TAS is probably the best Saturday morning cartoon ever made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, B:TAS is probably the best Saturday morning cartoon ever made.

The only competition for me is Samurai Jack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I personally find Begins to be the very first non-animated Batman film where Bruce Wayne is a character at all, rather than a set of motions the film goes through to remind you that Batman is a billionaire as well as a ninja who throws grenades (???). Keaton does his level best, but he has less than nothing to work with, he's just a typical Tim Burton awkward weirdo with zero depth. Who sleeps upside down. Like a bat.

Well, you're not wrong. Begins is the first movie to try to tell the story of Bruce Wayne, all the other movies basically give you his character fully formed and assumes you know the deal. Batman Forever actually does a decent job of giving him a character, it's just that it's a really silly movie. Bruce in Forever is plagued by dreams which are flashbacks to the time right after his parents were killed. This is what ultimately leads him to meet Nicole Kidman's character, who is a psychologist.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Birdman is a good Film about Comic Book Movies starring Batman, the Hulk, and Mary Jane, all representing their own eras, when comic book movies were Becoming A Thing, Starting To Suck, and then Just Being What Everyone Watches Now, Whaddaya Mean You Don't Like Them, What Are You, A Snob? Also about how the genre is literally shooting the nose off of Hollywood to spite it's face.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone mentioned Thor in a different thread and got me wondering: What good movies are there about ancient gods and myths that are about actual gods and myths and that aren't 'THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND GRITTY MAN BEHIND THE MYTH'-style adaptations like Hercules is? The last one I can really recall is Immortals and that had its own problems. Which movie was it that was an awkward mess in cinemas and became something a lot better in the director's cut? Was it Troy?

Also back to BTAS: Mask of the Phantasm owned when I was ten, does it still hold up?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned Thor in a different thread and got me wondering: What good movies are there about ancient gods and myths that are about actual gods and myths and that aren't 'THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND GRITTY MAN BEHIND THE MYTH'-style adaptations like Hercules is? The last one I can really recall is Immortals and that had its own problems. Which movie was it that was an awkward mess in cinemas and became something a lot better in the director's cut? Was it Troy?

Also back to BTAS: Mask of the Phantasm owned when I was ten, does it still hold up?

I think Hercules might have been the most disappointing movie of last year. I just wanted to see The Rock fight a hydra, goddammit.

I think The Immortals is the closest you're going to get.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pierson posted:

Which movie was it that was an awkward mess in cinemas and became something a lot better in the director's cut? Was it Troy?

You're probably thinking of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, and yes Mask of the Phantasm holds up really well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Pierson posted:

Hercules in New York starring Arnold Schwarzenegger

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned Thor in a different thread and got me wondering: What good movies are there about ancient gods and myths that are about actual gods and myths and that aren't 'THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND GRITTY MAN BEHIND THE MYTH'-style adaptations like Hercules is? The last one I can really recall is Immortals and that had its own problems.

The Titans films?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

You're probably thinking of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, and yes Mask of the Phantasm holds up really well.

Yeah, Kingdom of Heaven in the director's cut is a pretty well made movie. The theatrical is a mess. That's gotta be it, Pierson.