Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Minidust posted:

hahahaha that really does seem more and more silly in retrospect. The main-event protection in 1996 was ridiculous. Even Cena takes a bunch of falls in a modern-day iron man match.

Well, when you have Shawn Michaels throwing bitchfits, and Bret Hart being a mark for himself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was nothing wrong with the HBK/Bret Iron Man match having only one fall that came AFTER the sixty minutes was up, it added a tremendous amount of drama to the match.

The problem is that it pretty much ruined any and all REPLAY value the match might have had, because knowing ahead of time that you're in for sixty minutes of wrestling with no pinfalls occurring completely removes any and all sense of drama or suspense, and very few people would want to watch the match in its entirety knowing that it will effectively be a waste of time.

When it originally aired though? That must have been insanely suspenseful and dramatic seeing the time running out and nobody having a pinfall.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

There was nothing wrong with the HBK/Bret Iron Man match having only one fall that came AFTER the sixty minutes was up, it added a tremendous amount of drama to the match.

The problem is that it pretty much ruined any and all REPLAY value the match might have had, because knowing ahead of time that you're in for sixty minutes of wrestling with no pinfalls occurring completely removes any and all sense of drama or suspense, and very few people would want to watch the match in its entirety knowing that it will effectively be a waste of time.

When it originally aired though? That must have been insanely suspenseful and dramatic seeing the time running out and nobody having a pinfall.
Well I mainly think it was silly because that was the introduction of the Iron Man match type to the WWE audience. They have a habit of doing ZANY TWISTS in gimmick matches before they've even really established the gimmick (i.e. the first two cell matches both having the guys fight on the roof).

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I think I have worthwhile questions.

1) Does 40 man RR stay that way or is this a one-shot?

2) If it's not a one-shot, how long will it take before a man in the top 5 makes it all the way?

I think it'll stay 40 man for the foreseeable future and it'll take at least 3 years for someone to make it from the first 5, provided WWE doesn't cop out and throw Cena in at 1 and OVERCOMES THE ODDS this year.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

ToiletLaw posted:

Here's a dumb question:

How much "shooting" goes on during a match? We've all seen botchamania's "talk too much" segments, and I am sure some stuff is so basic that nobody needs to say anything, but I would imagine that guys with wrestling backgrounds might do some unexpected shoot like stuff to either get their rocks off or let people know who the boss is or whatever. Also, I'd imagine that if two amateur experienced wrestlers were in a match, like say an Angle/Lesnar deal, they'd want to shoot just a bit just for the hell of it.

Also I am talking about regular matches, not like the sasuke/dirtbike kid, or where people are just being assholes or legit trying to hurt people.

This question got overlooked, so I will attempt to answer it with the zero knowledge that I have.

I remember seeing one of those WWE roundtables where someone mentioned that Angle and Lesnar, I think it was, were really eager about showing off their amateur wrestling prowess, though I think it was more in the form of a semi-dickwaving contest during their downtime on the road. As far as "showing the other guy who's boss", that would just be the result of an accomplished amateur with a superiority complex (like Terry Funk felt about Lou Thesz) who just wanted to embarrass the other guy. As far as two amateurs, assuming that amateur wrestlers are in general intensely competitive (this is a safe assumption I believe), it is also safe to assume that they do do a little shooting just for fun, as long as it doesn't impede with the flow of the match.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Has a tag team ever used something like this as a finisher?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZod3eDpZ4&feature=related

Supplemental: A tag team should totally use that as a finisher.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

cucka posted:

throw Cena in at 1 and OVERCOMES THE ODDS this year.

Oh god, they're going to do this, aren't they? :smith:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pneub posted:

Oooh perfect excuse for me to post an indy clip of myself; it's not done as a tag-team finisher here but there's a similar motion going on:

http://www.youtube.com/bustauppa#p/u/28/fL1T_UwJCV4&t=4m54s

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Is the puro backstage scene the same as it is here in America? I've never heard any stories of Antonio Inoki writing bad checks, Great Sasuke making GBS threads in people's bags or Chono doing rails off some ring rats rear end crack.

Also what happened to New Japan? I watched for a bit back in the late 90's and it appeared to be insanely popular. Did they semi-emulate their former American working buddies in WCW and failcascade? I know they are still in business, but what the hell happened? NJPW appears so bush league compared to what I used to watch.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Everything being run by the yakuza probably meant that it was either run well or people who complained ended up dead.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

George Kaplan posted:

Oh god, they're going to do this, aren't they? :smith:

Probably not.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I watched the Punk/Cena match and it was the first bit of wwe i've watched for a while - why is the crowd so quiet? Is the sound rigging changed or is it because the match sucks?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The crowd was surprisingly vocal last night. Depending on how long it's been since you've watched wrestling though, crowds are generally just a lot more consistently quiet now than they were during the Attitude era.

My favorite thing about last night's crowd was the applause during the Morrison/Bryan standoff. I like it when WWE audiences show approval for good wrestling.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 18, 2011

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Karmine posted:

Probably not.

Punk wins EC, Punk v. Cena at WM.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking as someone who was a huge Shawn Michaels mark in 96, it was insanely suspenseful. I was so ridiculously disappointed when the time ran out, and then completely overjoyed when Gorilla called for overtime.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Perry Normal posted:

Speaking as someone who was a huge Shawn Michaels mark in 96, it was insanely suspenseful. I was so ridiculously disappointed when the time ran out, and then completely overjoyed when Gorilla called for overtime.
I felt the same, although I was a Bret Hart fan at the time. (The match went a long way to warm me up to Michaels, by the way.) I have never actually watched the match again, but I'm sure it doesn't hold up well.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, just pointing it out. Although, making it an Iron Man match vs. just making it a singles match with a 60-minute time limit really made no difference in this case.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Felony posted:

Is the puro backstage scene the same as it is here in America? I've never heard any stories of Antonio Inoki writing bad checks, Great Sasuke making GBS threads in people's bags or Chono doing rails off some ring rats rear end crack.

Also what happened to New Japan? I watched for a bit back in the late 90's and it appeared to be insanely popular. Did they semi-emulate their former American working buddies in WCW and failcascade? I know they are still in business, but what the hell happened? NJPW appears so bush league compared to what I used to watch.

Business in Japan is way way way down these days compared to even a decade ago. I don't know the full story of when New Japan really started to fall, but I imagine Antonio Inoki booking his biggest stars in matches against MMA guys in SHOOT FIGHTS hurt a lot.

I imagine lack of new heavyweight stars around in other companies doesn't help much either.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Business in Japan is way way way down these days compared to even a decade ago. I don't know the full story of when New Japan really started to fall, but I imagine Antonio Inoki booking his biggest stars in matches against MMA guys in SHOOT FIGHTS hurt a lot.

I imagine lack of new heavyweight stars around in other companies doesn't help much either.

On the other hand, it led to Don Frye vs. Takayama and that's the greatest thing in the history of forever.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Pneub posted:

Dude, not cool, you should have warned us members who are sissies about watching stuff like that.

Felony posted:

or Chono doing rails off some ring rats rear end crack.
Who did this? I want to high five them.

Edit: Forgot, I have a question. I'm watching Summerslam 2010, what the hell is with Melina's outfit? She looks like Pocahauntus, was this some type of gimmick?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 19, 2011

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Sue Denim posted:

Who did this? I want to high five them.

Everyone in ECW

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Jerusalem posted:

I watched it live on PPV the night it aired, and I consider it one of the high points of my wrestling fandom. I was 14 and still in the "I'm pretty sure it's fake, but I'm not entirely convinced yet" stage of markdom. I was standing on the couch, yelling my head off through most of it. I haven't rewatched it, and I never will, because I know that it will never live up to my memory of the match.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Yea, I distinctly remember Hashimoto in a program with some "shoot" fighter in a white gi around the time I stopped watching. Inoki was his manager of sorts. I was not at all entertained by him or his matches.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Do you want a pair of Zubaz?

http://deals.woot.com/deals/go/177685d9-4e08-4aff-a0cd-d6fb5bb136ec

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Moose Bigelow posted:

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Mr. Yuk posted:

I watched it live on PPV the night it aired, and I consider it one of the high points of my wrestling fandom. I was 14 and still in the "I'm pretty sure it's fake, but I'm not entirely convinced yet" stage of markdom. I was standing on the couch, yelling my head off through most of it. I haven't rewatched it, and I never will, because I know that it will never live up to my memory of the match.

I watched it again recently and it did not live up to my memories at all. Just mostly because Bret Hart is a very meat and potatoes wrestler.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

These are actually making a comeback apparently, according to Australian Vogue.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Being a giant HBK mark I found myself subliminally checking travel sites for trips to Atlanta last week. Then when the Hall of Fame tickets went on presale I picked one up "just to have-- I can always StubHub it if I end up not going." Needless to say, it looks like I'm going to the Hall of Fame this year (no Mania, I have a Monday morning class back in New York :smith:).

I want to make the most of the 18-20 hours I'll be spending in Atlanta, so I'm most likely going to ROH and Fan Axxess. According to WWE, Fan Axxess has three Saturday "sessions" and tickets are $35:

Saturday, April 2: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 2: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 2: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Are they $35 each? Because it looks like I'd be around for the very end of the second one and half of the third, then run over to the Hall of Fame show. If that's going to cost $70 then no thanks.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bikeage posted:

Being a giant HBK mark I found myself subliminally checking travel sites for trips to Atlanta last week. Then when the Hall of Fame tickets went on presale I picked one up "just to have-- I can always StubHub it if I end up not going." Needless to say, it looks like I'm going to the Hall of Fame this year (no Mania, I have a Monday morning class back in New York :smith:).

I want to make the most of the 18-20 hours I'll be spending in Atlanta, so I'm most likely going to ROH and Fan Axxess. According to WWE, Fan Axxess has three Saturday "sessions" and tickets are $35:

Saturday, April 2: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 2: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 2: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Are they $35 each? Because it looks like I'd be around for the very end of the second one and half of the third, then run over to the Hall of Fame show. If that's going to cost $70 then no thanks.

Usually each session has a different superstar, and when you buy a ticket you get signing time with that wrestler. I think they might have cheaper tickets, though, that don't include signing time. Unless I'm getting it confused and the more expensive tickets have signing time and the $35 is just GA. I don't see tickets up yet, so, not sure, either way.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I'm watching nWo Souled Out '97 and I just realized, I have no idea who the nWo announcer is. Does anyone know who it was?

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

UndergroundHero posted:

I'm watching nWo Souled Out '97 and I just realized, I have no idea who the nWo announcer is. Does anyone know who it was?

Ted Dibiase and Eric Bischoff?

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Mega GIRL posted:

Ted Dibiase and Eric Bischoff?

Oh no, I mean the ring announcer.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

El Duke posted:

Usually each session has a different superstar, and when you buy a ticket you get signing time with that wrestler. I think they might have cheaper tickets, though, that don't include signing time. Unless I'm getting it confused and the more expensive tickets have signing time and the $35 is just GA. I don't see tickets up yet, so, not sure, either way.

It's more than one superstar. I went to Summerslam Axxess and met Jack Swagger, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, Maryse and the Bellas, saw Evan Bourne, and got to talk to Howard Finkel while participating in an impressions contest. Which, I might add, I did NOT win, despite doing a very accurate impression of Rey Mysterio singing Happy Birthday to the Fink by getting on my knees and substituting the word "dawg" into the song repeatedy.

They do have the more expensive tickets where you get to meet and greet the superstars too though - a friend spent $150 to talk to Rey for 5 minutes, I think.

So, yes, the $35 is GA.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

dshban posted:

It's more than one superstar. I went to Summerslam Axxess and met Jack Swagger, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, Maryse and the Bellas, saw Evan Bourne, and got to talk to Howard Finkel while participating in an impressions contest. Which, I might add, I did NOT win, despite doing a very accurate impression of Rey Mysterio singing Happy Birthday to the Fink by getting on my knees and substituting the word "dawg" into the song repeatedy.

They do have the more expensive tickets where you get to meet and greet the superstars too though - a friend spent $150 to talk to Rey for 5 minutes, I think.

So, yes, the $35 is GA.

I saw the video.

You should've won.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

UndergroundHero posted:

Oh no, I mean the ring announcer.

The mexican jumping bean

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

dshban posted:

So, yes, the $35 is GA.

Yeah, I should have rephrased that. The more expensive ticket nets you signing/photo time with a specific main eventer. I know here for Summerslam the three slots were Edge/Orton/Mysterio. Though I think it was around $75, but of course, that's Summerslam. Didn't mean to present it like you only got signing time, and with one superstar, if you paid the higher price.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What kind of ratings did WWF do on Saturday mornings, before Raw existed? I love the idea of Smackdown being on Saturday mornings, and I've been wondering if this is a retarded move from a business standpoint or if it's actually considered comparable to their current Friday night spot. I mean tons of kids watch TV on Saturday morning (or did? do they still? I don't really know!), and I'm sure a lot of people like me would just as soon watch it first-run on Saturday as they would DVR'd from Friday.

So business-wise, would a change to Saturday morning be feasible or is being in Prime Time just too important?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 20, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

What kind of ratings did WWF do on Saturday mornings, before Raw existed? I love the idea of Smackdown being on Saturday mornings, and I've been wondering if this is a retarded move from a business standpoint or if it's actually considered comparable to their current Friday night spot. I mean tons of kids watch TV on Saturday morning (or did? do they still? I don't really know!), and I'm sure a lot of people like me would just as soon watch it first-run on Saturday as they would DVR'd from Friday.

So business-wise, would a change to Saturday morning be feasible or is being in Prime Time just too important?

In old Observers it seems like that stuff usually did high 1s. However, less people are watching TV on Saturday mornings than at prime time and it is a much less valuable time for advertising dollars. (Also keep in mind that far less people had cable TV in the 90s than now so a high one in the 90s would be a low one now.) I can't imagine any station would pay $30 million a year for a show on Saturday mornings that they could easily put in primetime.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After seeing some discussion in the WWE thread about Smackdown being the B show and all that it's had me wondering.. aren't these shows sort of a ratings vicious cycle type thing?

They consider Raw the A show, Smackdown the B show, Superstars the C show and I'm assuming NXT is last on the totem pole. Your main event stars aren't seen on shows like Superstars all that often due to it being beneath them - but doesn't that create a situation where people skip Superstars for the very reason that their favorite guys aren't going to be wrestling or appear?

I'd assume that they want every one of their shows being as highly rated as they can be, so why attach the "not important enough" stigma to shows by not having the main guys appear on them? Being that they're taped the same time as Smackdown or before Raw airs why not have your main guys have appearances that will only air on Superstars or NXT?

I guess I've never understood why any show really needs to be a C or D show quality-wise when the guys that are the main draws for Raw or Smackdown are already in the arena. Instead we've got Regal v Darren Young four or five weeks in a row as the main event or whatever. Not that Regal isn't awesome but having a short John Cena match or a Randy Orton appearance or whatever other superface that the younger fans follow do something exclusive to those shows might bring ratings up over time.

Edit: It never made sense to me with WCW either. You'd have all your main event guys who thought they were too important for Thunder (after the first few weeks) or Saturday Night (The Mothership!) and people probably eventually caught onto the fact that their favorite guys weren't going to appear.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hell, Cena's shown himself willing to put over midcarders as a threat. Why not have him randomly go a few minutes with somebody like Rhodes or McIntyre on Superstars? I don't expect him to lose clean to any of them, but the match would probably be decent, it'd get people to tune in, and even losing it'd make them look a bit more legitimate.

EDIT: Also, Kingston and Bryan show up on there sometimes, why not have them defend the title on it on occasion?