Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I sleep on a futon and love it, but my girlfriend says it hurts her hip to lie on her side (which is how she sleeps. So do I though so YMMV.) We'll probably get something different in the future :(

Try a futon though, they're great. You can get frames for them but they aren't necessary, I'd just use it on the floor for a short time.

Only thing to watch out for (with mine) while sexin' is that there are a few buttons on it that sometimes really hurt my knees if I move around and forget about them.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

fuzzy_logic posted:

First of all:
Is it actually way better for you back? I've always heard this and sort of internalized it as given, but I realized I've never heard any real proof.

What's the best way to set it up?
Can you have sex? Will it cause bruises?
Can you sleep on your side?
Can I still get bedbugs?

help me sleep like my animes, goons.

I would check with your doctor before getting a futon. I have a few back problems and using a futon would often make me wake up feeling a bit stiff. You can still get bedbugs, you can lay on your side, and you can have sex on it.

My ex used to sleep on just an American style futon pad on the floor and it would be awful about picking up dirt.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I just bought a used copy of Battlefield 2 for the PC, only to discover that it didn't have the manual, therefore no serial number.

Am I right that there is no legitmate way to get a new serial number without rebuying the game? So I might as well throw the discs in the bin?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spog posted:

I just bought a used copy of Battlefield 2 for the PC, only to discover that it didn't have the manual, therefore no serial number.

Am I right that there is no legitmate way to get a new serial number without rebuying the game? So I might as well throw the discs in the bin?

Yeah, the serial is the important part, the game disc is worthless.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, the serial is the important part, the game disc is worthless.

That's a whole pound that I will never see again. I hope those orphans choke on it!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

spog posted:

From whom did you buy it? There should be a way for you to get your money back, since you were sold a non-functioning product.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Besesoth posted:

From whom did you buy it? There should be a way for you to get your money back, since you were sold a non-functioning product.

A charity shop, so I don't really mind.

It was an honest mistake on their part and stupidity on mine (been a console gamer for so long, I didn't even think about a serial number). And it was only 99p.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So basically someone 'donated' their nonfunctioning game to a charity shop, wrote off $60, and lost nothing of value in the process? Nice.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So basically someone 'donated' their nonfunctioning game to a charity shop, wrote off $60, and lost nothing of value in the process? Nice.

Nah, it is more like someone donated a big pile of used games to a charity shop (and received nothing in return) and didn't bother to check the contents for all the paperwork.

It's no big deal.

It is just slightly annoying: last week I bought a copy of BF2 for my xbox, only to discover that a) BF2 is one of the few 360 games with region coding and b) my xbox is from a different region from the UK.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is not a question I expect anyone to know, but I've been surprised before: What are the chances that The Muppets will still be in theaters the week after Christmas? I'm thinking of buying my family tickets as a Christmas present.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It'll vary from theater to theater as to when they take it out. If you call the one you're planning to go to they can probably tell you.

ZedEd
Jun 6, 2006

lol zombies
So my girlfriend is planning on getting her parents a bluray player for Christmas. Our issue is that they don't have wireless internet, so will it be an issue if they never hook it up to the internet? Will it not read newer blurays if it can't update?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ZedEd posted:

So my girlfriend is planning on getting her parents a bluray player for Christmas. Our issue is that they don't have wireless internet, so will it be an issue if they never hook it up to the internet? Will it not read newer blurays if it can't update?

Just plug it in by ethernet?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

ZedEd posted:

In addition to network updates, most models still allow you to burn firmware updates to a CD or load them on a USB flash drive (assuming the player has a USB port).

Failing that, yes, they could possibly run into newer discs that would have issues playing. If that were the case, they'd want to plug it into a network connection somewhere, assuming the player had ethernet.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

ZedEd posted:

What they said, but also, why not consider getting them a wireless router as well? I saw some on sale that were refurbished on ebay the other day, you can probably get a decent one fairly cheap if you want.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Is any one familiar with the "Dogs that Don't Bark theory"? I tried googling the theory and cannot find anything about it. I'm not looking for an essay, just a one or two sentence explanation so I can write a paper around it. Thanks!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If I had to guess from googling, it has something to do with this story and the difficulty of noticing events that don't happen, but that seems rather obscure.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I don't remember what subforum this was from, or even if it was it's own thread or a comment, but it was definitely from SA. Dude posted text along the lines of " Every single day this motherfucker sits on the stairs with this stupid loving grin on his face" and there was a photo of a (real) :smugdog: sitting on the stairs.

I'm hoping to find at least the photo; the whole post would be great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I sold a fairly expensive item on ebay that is also going to be fairly expensive to ship. When I received the payment, paypal wouldn't let me accept it. I have sold a few dozen things on ebay and never had this problem. What the gently caress?

The message says "completed not yet available" and then the little pop up says that "funds will usually be availible within 21 days of when the buyer receives the item while you build successful sales on ebay"( i have 100% positive feedback). This was basically supposed to be my rent money and I feel like I have really been boned here. I don't even have an extra $40 to ship the loving item. Do I have any recourse? I definitely didn't agree to a new TOS this seems shady as gently caress.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Paypal is loving pretty much everyone now. I think theres a thread in GBS about them stealing charity from children and a bunch of people are complaining about the same thing you are, so you may want to check that thread out?

vv amazon payments and google checkout are up and coming as well, but i dont think they do international payments/shipping right now

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 12, 2011

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

NESguerilla posted:

I sold a fairly expensive item on ebay that is also going to be fairly expensive to ship. When I received the payment, paypal wouldn't let me accept it. I have sold a few dozen things on ebay and never had this problem. What the gently caress?

The message says "completed not yet available" and then the little pop up says that "funds will usually be availible within 21 days of when the buyer receives the item while you build successful sales on ebay"( i have 100% positive feedback). This was basically supposed to be my rent money and I feel like I have really been boned here. I don't even have an extra $40 to ship the loving item. Do I have any recourse? I definitely didn't agree to a new TOS this seems shady as gently caress.

It's been since, geeze, 2008 or 2009. Here's the relevant text:

quote:

When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in a pending balance for up to 21 days to help make sure that there are funds in the seller's account to cover potential refunds or claims. The funds may be released early if PayPal determines that the transaction has been fulfilled and customers are satisfied.

While funds are pending, the money belongs to you but isn't available to spend or withdraw.

If payments on your account are held, we'll notify you. PayPal will re-evaluate your account every 35 days and decide whether or not to continue holding payments. If we decide to stop holding future payments, we'll contact you.

Jesus Christ, I am so glad I'm not an active ebay powerseller any more. If I was, I would try to take Dwolla for every auction.

By the way, trying to not get nailed for a 21 day hold is akin to digital voodoo. Do a rain dance, spin around five times, try to keep a high rating, be a frequent seller, don't have a new account or less than 50 sales, and then spit three times.

Don't even bother trying to call a CSR about it, unless the hold continues after 21 days.

Anyway, you're not screwed on fronting the shipping cost if you use paypal/ebay to print the label. They'll deduct that, at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That last part is a relief at least.

I don't understand why they would do that at all. It's like a punishment for being a good seller or something. This will be the last transaction I use Ebay or Paypal for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fork bomb posted:

I don't remember what subforum this was from, or even if it was it's own thread or a comment, but it was definitely from SA. Dude posted text along the lines of " Every single day this motherfucker sits on the stairs with this stupid loving grin on his face" and there was a photo of a (real) :smugdog: sitting on the stairs.

I remember that too. I could have sworn it was in the PYF dog pictures thread, but I couldn't find it in there. The only other thread I read where it might have been posted is the funny pictures thread. Good luck, hope you find it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

fork bomb posted:

http://i.imgur.com/AIZSL.jpg

e:http://i.imgur.com/I5k0H.jpg
heres the unedited version by someone else...who I think was the original. It's a bit lower res though.
People have been repeating this often so its hard to find the "right one".

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 12, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Avocados posted:

http://i.imgur.com/AIZSL.jpg

e:http://i.imgur.com/I5k0H.jpg
heres the unedited version by someone else...who I think was the original. It's a bit lower res though.
People have been repeating this often so its hard to find the "right one".
I'm pretty tired and pretty ill today, but this keeps giving me full on belly laughs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not sure if this should be its own thread in Tourism & Travel, but to be on the safe side:

I'm (very faintly) possibly looking at emigrating from the United States in the future and would like to at least work for a few years as a temporary foreign resident in a foreign country.

More specifically, I'd be looking for a country that is demonstrably much more socially liberal and open-minded, places a greater emphasis/priority on the social welfare of the country (e.g. higher quality/lower cost for education, health care, etc), more open to immigration/diversity/pluralism, enjoys a booming economy, an openness to entrepreneurship, and etc. Would I be wrong in looking at countries like Brazil or the Netherlands first with these aspects in mind? I would also highly welcome suggestions for countries to look at in Asia even if they do not necessarily fit all of the above requirements (e.g. Taiwan, Thailand, etc).

I would appreciate any advice. :)

If you need further clarification, just let me know.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 12, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When people want to drink hot liquids and they pour it from one cup to another cup and back and forth does that really work? Also if you poured a hot drink into a giant pan or something and poured it back in the cup it would be cooler, because the surface of the pan spreads the liquid out and cools it off?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The pan thing would work since you're increasing the surface area of the liquid. As far as the cup thing I guess it would help some since you are passing the liquid through colder air over and over but I don't know how much it'd help.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Liquid apparently cools as it circulates, I don't know the exact science behind it. I do know however that this is why you have to stir the water when you're poaching eggs.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OrangeGuy posted:

Not sure if this should be its own thread in Tourism & Travel, but to be on the safe side:

I'm (very faintly) possibly looking at emigrating from the United States in the future and would like to at least work for a few years as a temporary foreign resident in a foreign country.

More specifically, I'd be looking for a country that is demonstrably much more socially liberal and open-minded, places a greater emphasis/priority on the social welfare of the country (e.g. higher quality/lower cost for education, health care, etc), more open to immigration/diversity/pluralism, enjoys a booming economy, an openness to entrepreneurship, and etc. Would I be wrong in looking at countries like Brazil or the Netherlands first with these aspects in mind? I would also highly welcome suggestions for countries to look at in Asia even if they do not necessarily fit all of the above requirements (e.g. Taiwan, Thailand, etc).

I would appreciate any advice. :)

If you need further clarification, just let me know.

Search Tourism & Travel for some previous emigration threads. Short answer is, you don't get to choose where you live, especially if you want to work and do it all legally. Check your ancestry and see if those countries give a poo poo, get married or have a loving mountain of money. You can also be poo poo hot in various specific professions. Otherwise your chances are pretty slim.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Liquid apparently cools as it circulates, I don't know the exact science behind it. I do know however that this is why you have to stir the water when you're poaching eggs.

The liquid heats the nearby air by direct contact, but once the air is hot it has to be replaced with cooler air for heat to continue to transfer out of the liquid, and the cooled liquid at the surface has to be replaced with hot liquid from elsewhere in the bowl. If nothing is done this process only happens through natural convection, which is slow. Stirring the liquid moves both of them around much faster and more thoroughly, so heat continues to flow at a higher rate and the liquid gets cooler.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Can anyone help me identify the photo on the right. A creative director is trying to pass both of these off as original works, and the one on the left is definitely Dali so I figure the one on the right has to be a copy too:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bojanglesworth posted:

Can anyone help me identify the photo on the right. A creative director is trying to pass both of these off as original works, and the one on the left is definitely Dali so I figure the one on the right has to be a copy too:

While the one on the left is probably inspired by/derivative of/ Dali, I wouldn't call it a copy. Then again, I'm not an art type, so maybe you're using a more restrictive definition of original than I'm used to.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

While the one on the left is probably inspired by/derivative of/ Dali, I wouldn't call it a copy. Then again, I'm not an art type, so maybe you're using a more restrictive definition of original than I'm used to.

Wrong painting;

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Bojanglesworth posted:

It looks like a film poster for a Nicole Kidman movie

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why does my credit card company keep sending me cheques? What reason would I have to use cheques from a CC company? Do people actually utilize them? They must because I get at least one envelope with some cheques in it every few months.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Dudebro posted:

Why does my credit card company keep sending me cheques? What reason would I have to use cheques from a CC company? Do people actually utilize them? They must because I get at least one envelope with some cheques in it every few months.

They let you use your line of credit at vendors that don't accept credit cards, or you can use them to transfer balances between cards (by paying your other card off using the cheque). They might have a higher APR than your normal CC purchases. You should shred them if you aren't going to use them.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Cash advances basically. You could write a check for say, your mortgage. Then you pay the cash advance APR, which is probably ludicrous.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Melonhead posted:

They let you use your line of credit at vendors that don't accept credit cards, or you can use them to transfer balances between cards (by paying your other card off using the cheque). They might have a higher APR than your normal CC purchases. You should shred them if you aren't going to use them.

The ones we constantly get offer 0% APR for 12 or 18 months, so we have used them in the past to pay off higher interest debt. I agree that they should be shredded, though, if they're not being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I'm trying to find a list of corporate taxpayers in California organized by amount of tax revenue that California receives -- basically a list of corporations by how much they pay in taxes to the California government. Does anyone know a source that publishes these sorts of statistics? Someone told me to check out the Franchise Tax Board and the Board of Equalization, but I didn't see anything there.