Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Franchescanado posted:

Yo.

edit: None of you fucks are gonna read The Peregrine for BotM? Anytime we get something good, no one loving cares.

i try to keep up with the botm but it's difficult to get around to it sometimes before the month is out on top of everything else im trying to read atm and other times i just forget about it completely

my foray into indonesian lit continues. pramoedya ananta toer is pretty cool and i enjoyed this earth of mankind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Yo.

edit: None of you fucks are gonna read The Peregrine for BotM? Anytime we get something good, no one loving cares.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
gently caress your judgement I am reading diaries of trench warfare

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress your judgement I am reading diaries of trench warfare

gently caress your trench warfare, read about birds.

Also, have you started reading Moby Dick?

I'm about 1/3rd through Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter. The incest wedding serial was good but the racist cop serial was boring. Aunt Julia's a cool bitch.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It looks boring and I don't care god bless

it's good actually

Mel Mudkiper posted:

diaries of trench warfare

Storm of Steel?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the fiction writing advice thread is equal parts lol and smh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

I've learned to stay far away from that thread. Goon reading comprehension is terrible. The best goon writers I've talked to all came from CineD.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Storm of Steel?

Yeah and The First Hundred Thousand

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fridge corn posted:

link me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807739&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post476130014

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

sounds interesting right? can't wait to read it? well you're in luck, here's an except

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833927&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post476310953

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Burkion's a cool dude and it's his first writing project; good on him for literally giving everyone on SA an opportunity to read it and criticize it. I know I don't have the nads to do that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i know im being harsh but idc. tbf he's not the worst that thread has to offer as he's actually written a complete manuscript.

my favourite part of the op is the bit reminding writers that their characters should be more than just the stats on their character sheets

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah making fun of a guy who has the balls to put his stuff out there is lame. Good for him.

I want to make fun of the people who have never published a single thing telling others how to write

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cool edgy /r/redpill meme. tip of the fedora to you goon sir :tipshat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yikes, Reddit has conscripted even Dorothy Parker?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Yo.

Hey I read it the first time you asked me to I aint doing it again like 5 months later

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't constantly reading The Peregrine and David Vann then gently caress you

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Yo.

i am reading it and its v good

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also i wrote a novel. it is v hard, i dont recommend it unless you have a lot of self hatred

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

also i wrote a novel. it is v hard, i dont recommend it unless you have a lot of self hatred

wow I guess its true that absolutely no one likes derp

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
but no seriously follow your dreams and all that. if it is your dream i feel sorry for you. its a terrible dream to have

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
while my original memoir was well-received, i haven't had the heart to do any more substantial writing since i moved to my south american compound in 1945.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

derp posted:

i read the first five paragraphs, it's poo poo

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

also I'm read 100 Years of Solitude and it's really loving good. so good.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Biscuits posted:

i read the first five paragraphs, it's poo poo

its true

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Biscuits posted:

also I'm read 100 Years of Solitude and it's really loving good. so good.

ive wanted to read this for ages but its not on kindle and the audible version has loving JOHN LEE as narrator and i cant stand him and he narrates everything for some reason

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

God dammit derp

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

ive wanted to read this for ages but its not on kindle and the audible version has loving JOHN LEE as narrator and i cant stand him and he narrates everything for some reason

If only there were libraries or book stores.

Here's the first 40 pages, 38 more than you need to give up on it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i cant hold a physical book up to my face at my desk, unfortunately. unlike browsing the forums or reading a book on my screen, it doesnt look enough like im working.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

if i write something that i feel is worth someone elses time to crit, i will post it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

if i write something that i feel is worth someone elses time to crit, i will post it

you are a brave soul

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i wrote a novel when i was in high school and it was fun as hell. it was about zombies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wrote a novel when I was in tenth grade and then reread it later and realized it was just final fantasy 7

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

derp posted:

you are a brave soul

i think ive got what it takes

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

derp posted:

but no seriously follow your dreams and all that. if it is your dream i feel sorry for you. its a terrible dream to have

my dream is to not have a job

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not enough authors hate themselves.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not enough authors hate themselves.

I hate myself enough for all of them

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i joined this weeks thunderdome come show me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

blue squares posted:

my dream is to not have a job

The only reason I'd ever write a book is this.