Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Has anyone played Among The Stars: New Dawn? I got it after pledging to their more recent ATS expansion kickstarter and have to teach it to my group this weekend but I am ~bad at teaching games~ and there doesn't seem to be a lot of material online about it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

cyberia posted:

Has anyone played Among The Stars: New Dawn? I got it after pledging to their more recent ATS expansion kickstarter and have to teach it to my group this weekend but I am ~bad at teaching games~ and there doesn't seem to be a lot of material online about it :ohdear:

I have it and went over the rules once, but haven't gotten it to the table yet, either. Wish I could help.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

bobvonunheil posted:

The annoying thing I've had in Sheriff of Nottingham is that people just won't agree with you if they think you might be getting something past them, even if you're giving them a great deal otherwise.

I will say "I'll give you 4 coins and a contraband if you let my bag through. There is two contraband in this bag and you will get 8 coins from it if you open it. Though you could open the bag, if you look objectively at the numbers you will get more if you let me through." and they'll just go "Nope, opening the bag now". Negotiating openly and honestly with the Sheriff has never gotten me anything but pain in that game.

But you could be lying! I know I've convinced the sheriff I had a small amount of contraband and we'd both profit if they didn't inspect, but I actually had nothing but contraband.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Played Dead of Winter, it's alright. It has a lot of variety but it's mostly the bad kind where you get hosed or unfucked by chance. Also some of the goals were way harder and the "dont hint about your goal" rule was poo poo for mine (have most cards in hand by the end... ya lemme role play asking people their cards in hand for 3 turns straight). The 1/12th chance death dice is also bullshit because of the randomness in goal difficulty, one goal we had was "have 3 characters die" so it wasn't that bad, but if i had gotten it i would have been screwed because I wouldn't be able to search nearly efficiently enough (some mans can draw up to 9 cards a turn, i could do at most 3).

Best described as a Talisman-BSG hybrid for a combined score of 20 out of 10.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Imperial Settlers is the game where egypt is laughably overpowered and japan is laughably underpowered, right? Apparently an expansion for it came out recently. Does that fix anything?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Imperial Settlers is the game where egypt is laughably overpowered and japan is laughably underpowered, right? Apparently an expansion for it came out recently. Does that fix anything?

Yes, no.
At least from what I've played anyway. It's named 'Why can't we be friends' and is just a 'More stuff' kind of expansion, which doesn't fix the fact that japan's faction buildings can [and probably will] be attacked and destroyed and Oasis is bonkers good. Although, if your crew can enjoy Machi Koro, they'll probably enjoy IS?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Played Glory to Rome, learned Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age, and learned Linko. Linko is pretty fun for a traditional type of card game. Roll through the Ages: IA is pretty much solitaire, but it's chill and seems like something fun to play with my Mom. Didn't try the expansion yet.

Probably going to learn how to play Palaces of Carrara next.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Archenteron posted:

I don't necessarily agree. Egypt has a lot of options to generate workers which in turn can be converted into resources but Japan arguably has the strongest faction buildings in the game which is probably why they made it so opponent's can destroy them. They're not as versatile right off the bat but they have a bunch of cards that effectively remove enemy faction building's from the game and/or convert them into deals for you.

I'd argue that they're "underpowered" in that each faction deliberately has a card that counters Japan. Egypt has chariot builder (ignores samurai), Rome has engineers (lets them take out shrine and gates), and the barbarians have robbers (lets them remove all the deals Japan likely has built up). Japan seems weak because the other players are required to keep them in check. But the fact that their buildings are vulnerable is kind of overblown because 3-4 raise tokens for 1vp isn't very optimal when there are resources to be gained elsewhere.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Palaces of Carrarra is pretty solid but it's one of those games that feels like it takes longer than it should on the BGA interface.

It's also unfortunately not very popular, I struggle to get a game of it against randoms and only ever 2 player when it's more interesting with 3 :(

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I just wanted to post about how great Roll for the Galaxy is, I've only played it as 2-player with my girlfriend but it's working great. I'm surprised I got her into it since the theme is super nerdy, it helped that she really likes San Juan and the mechanics are similar.

So far we've played it about 10 times, and it has pretty much killed San Juan for us. She keeps beating me too, only won 2 games.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

Archenteron posted:

I was initially excited about trying Imperial Settlers, but was dissuaded by this thread's opinion. Recently I decided to read the BGG forums to see what other people thought, and while there are posts about Egypt being overpowered and Japan underpowered, it was not a consensus. The claim is that Egypt is the most straightforward of the factions, thus making it more powerful when people are new to the game. Reddit discussion of the same topic. No clue if it's true as I still haven't gotten the chance to try it out.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played a bunch of games yesterday
Pandemic Contagion
Saboteur with the expansion with 10 (never again)
Cash and Guns 2nd ed
Avalon (with was messed up from the start since Morgana didn't make them selves known to merlin and so as Percival I actually made the exact wrong assumptions)
Summoner wars
Tash Kalar
One knight ultimate werewolf

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I played a game of Tash-Kalar the other night where we went through the flare deck 1.5 times because I'd decided to just be a jerk and murder my friend's pieces constantly. His piece quality slowly rose until he could flare in to legendaries and then I was on the back foot and playing flares. Game ended 10 points to 9 with me squeezing out an Angel of Death to kill his legendary for the 2 points swing.

I'm continuously impressed with how tightly High Form is balanced and how well flares work both as an incentive to pursue objectives over wiping the board pointlessly.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

I played a game of Tash-Kalar the other night where we went through the flare deck 1.5 times because I'd decided to just be a jerk and murder my friend's pieces constantly. His piece quality slowly rose until he could flare in to legendaries and then I was on the back foot and playing flares. Game ended 10 points to 9 with me squeezing out an Angel of Death to kill his legendary for the 2 points swing.

I'm continuously impressed with how tightly High Form is balanced and how well flares work both as an incentive to pursue objectives over wiping the board pointlessly.

Why not both? Nuke your own pieces with reckless abandon to force your own flares into play, granting extra actions and movements out of seemingly thin air to snatch objectives otherwise unachievable. In fact, my favorite use of Bombs is blowing up my own dudes.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

Why not both? Nuke your own pieces with reckless abandon to force your own flares into play, granting extra actions and movements out of seemingly thin air to snatch objectives otherwise unachievable. In fact, my favorite use of Bombs is blowing up my own dudes.

Tash Kalar is the #1 Game I Wish I Could Play More because the only person I can play with is my partner who hates even slightly aggressive 2 player games and I don't like playing against internet strangers.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

Oh yeah, it also opens up a whole lot of strategic space around managing your own piece count, using summons to move or destroy your own things. Even the discard action can be a tool in this respect. Such a good game.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The worst submarine posted:

Played Dead of Winter, it's alright. It has a lot of variety but it's mostly the bad kind where you get hosed or unfucked by chance. Also some of the goals were way harder and the "dont hint about your goal" rule was poo poo for mine (have most cards in hand by the end... ya lemme role play asking people their cards in hand for 3 turns straight). The 1/12th chance death dice is also bullshit because of the randomness in goal difficulty, one goal we had was "have 3 characters die" so it wasn't that bad, but if i had gotten it i would have been screwed because I wouldn't be able to search nearly efficiently enough (some mans can draw up to 9 cards a turn, i could do at most 3).

Best described as a Talisman-BSG hybrid for a combined score of 20 out of 10.

Just spent a weekend away with some friends playing board games and discovered this game - hadn't heard of it before. Was the unexpected gem of the weekend for me. Ordinarily when a game is themed around the zombie apocalypse I expect it to be poo poo, but I really enjoyed Dead of Winter.

You're right about some of the goals being difficult. I particularly disliked mine, which was called "Neat Freak" or something like that and said I had to have a non-empty hand at the end and it had to consist only of medicine cards. So my character abhors "things that aren't medicine" so much that they will be angry at the end if they are carrying around highly useful food or fuel? Seems like bullshit. Surprisingly we all won (narrowly) in the game I played despite making a couple of unwise decisions which significantly impacted the difficulty. And I got to play Sparky the stunt dog which counts for a lot.

Also played over the weekend, in no particular order: Ticket to Ride India, Snake Oil, 7 Wonders (twice), Dixit, Shogun, Love Letter, Fauna, Ghost Blitz, Coup, Hanabi, Abraca What, 6 Nimmt (just one hand), Escalation, Dominion (with some Adventures cards in the setup), and a multi-group roleplaying game that everybody was involved in on the Saturday evening.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Someone enjoyed DoW, the lynch mob is mobilizing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Spiel nominees announced:

quote:

For Spiel des Jahres – the list is:

Colt Express
Machi Koro
The Game

The recommended list includes:

Cacao
Looney Quest
Patchwork
Simsala…Bumm? (Abraca… wha?)
Ugo
Vollmondnacht (One Night Ultimate Werewolf)

For the Kennerspiel des Jahres – the finalists are:

Broom Service
Elysium
Orleans

The recommended list is:

Arler Erde (Fields of Arle)
Auf den Spuren von Marco Polo
Deus

Machi Koro :nexus:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Wow, what a mediocre crop of games.

What on earth is "The Game"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Colt Express :argh:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I know Spiel Des Jahres has been a joke for a while, but this is a new low.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I guess Broom Service is a remake of Witch's Brew which seemed ok but not great according to reviews from my geekbuddies

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Wow, what a mediocre crop of games.

What on earth is "The Game"?

Nominated for the worst drat name to search for ITYOOVC 2015:

The Game
The
" " ( aka Whitespace the Game)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Nominated for the worst drat name to search for ITYOOVC 2015:

The Game
The
" " ( aka Whitespace the Game)

From what I can tell from German language press releases, The Game is a co-operative game where you try to play numbered cards in the correct order.

So it's Hanabi (well, it would be if Hanabi hadn't won a few years back)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Yeah it's not-Hanabi. Seems like it'd be an ok light filler but just reading the rules I'm not seeing the real hook, it's almost literally multiplayer solitaire with some chat restrictions that aren't tied to the mechanics or anything (like in Hanabi), they just exist so that the game doesn't break.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Colt Express? I mean yeah it was alright but... it aint THAT loving good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

alathar posted:

I was initially excited about trying Imperial Settlers, but was dissuaded by this thread's opinion. Recently I decided to read the BGG forums to see what other people thought, and while there are posts about Egypt being overpowered and Japan underpowered, it was not a consensus. The claim is that Egypt is the most straightforward of the factions, thus making it more powerful when people are new to the game. Reddit discussion of the same topic. No clue if it's true as I still haven't gotten the chance to try it out.

Thing is, Egypt has options that absolutely no other faction has. They have the cheapest raze in the game, the ability to steal other faction' buildings, the ability to copy actions already taken, the ability to leech off of other people using workers, faction buildings that poo poo out resources for no foundation cost, as well as absurd point generation actions and buildings that generate extra points whenever points are generated.

The other factions have nothing even close to this level of diversity. They have some neat stuff, but it just doesn't compare in the end.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Colt Express? I mean yeah it was alright but... it aint THAT loving good.

I played it on Friday. I got shot a bunch in rounds 1 and 2, then spent the rest of the game being horribly gimped while not drawing the cards I needed.

At least building up the train was kinda fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

I don't necessarily agree. Egypt has a lot of options to generate workers which in turn can be converted into resources but Japan arguably has the strongest faction buildings in the game which is probably why they made it so opponent's can destroy them. They're not as versatile right off the bat but they have a bunch of cards that effectively remove enemy faction building's from the game and/or convert them into deals for you.

I'd argue that they're "underpowered" in that each faction deliberately has a card that counters Japan. Egypt has chariot builder (ignores samurai), Rome has engineers (lets them take out shrine and gates), and the barbarians have robbers (lets them remove all the deals Japan likely has built up). Japan seems weak because the other players are required to keep them in check. But the fact that their buildings are vulnerable is kind of overblown because 3-4 raise tokens for 1vp isn't very optimal when there are resources to be gained elsewhere.

This means that the person who plays Japan can't be in first place, otherwise it paints a target on their back, especially from the person in second (or the Barbarians, who are generally incentivized to raze). Literally no other faction can be as directly punished for being first as Japan. That's such a spectacularly lovely design decision, especially since Japan really doesn't have that many better buildings than the other faction. The other lovely thing about the game is that there's just a high variance factor. If Egypt rushes out an Oasis turn 1 or 2, that's a hell of an obstacle to fight through and you might as well call the game right then and there. Oh, and the buildings for some reason don't scale in cost with number of players, even if the effect does.

If you wanted to play something like Imperial Settlers, just play 51st State, where all the players share a pool of cards and they're all razeable.

Edit: Is it weird that seeing Elysium on the Kennerspiele list makes me want it less?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 18, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I got dragged into a game of Munchkin last night. I had a good time because the host who wanted to play it actually started to hate playing it because my roommate got a bit too drunk and couldn't stop talking to take her turn so the game was taking forever and it was the funniest thing to me. A+ would recommend this superb game to anyone!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Deus is really good. But yeah, what other people said.

snuff posted:

I just wanted to post about how great Roll for the Galaxy is, I've only played it as 2-player with my girlfriend but it's working great. I'm surprised I got her into it since the theme is super nerdy, it helped that she really likes San Juan and the mechanics are similar.

So far we've played it about 10 times, and it has pretty much killed San Juan for us. She keeps beating me too, only won 2 games.

Have you guys played Race for the Galaxy since that is a lot more directly similar to San Juan? Not saying to not play Roll since it's good, but Race is still fantastic and everyone should play that poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eminent Domain is fantastic. Glad I grabbed it on the Amazon sale.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes it is. Do you have the expansion? The base game doesn't have a lot of staying power without it.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

EvilChameleon posted:

Have you guys played Race for the Galaxy since that is a lot more directly similar to San Juan? Not saying to not play Roll since it's good, but Race is still fantastic and everyone should play that poo poo.

Nah I got the second edition of San Juan because I heard bad things about the learning curve of RaftG iconography, and the colonial theme would be a lot more digestible to her. I do want to try Raftg at some point but I'm in no rush, those dice are just so much fun!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: Is it weird that seeing Elysium on the Kennerspiele list makes me want it less?

Yes, ditto Orleans. I've still to get a second play of Elysium, but I definitely liked the first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bottom Liner posted:

Ditto. Played this weekend and had a great time. Looking forward to breaking out the expansion later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

This means that the person who plays Japan can't be in first place, otherwise it paints a target on their back, especially from the person in second (or the Barbarians, who are generally incentivized to raze). Literally no other faction can be as directly punished for being first as Japan. That's such a spectacularly lovely design decision, especially since Japan really doesn't have that many better buildings than the other faction. The other lovely thing about the game is that there's just a high variance factor. If Egypt rushes out an Oasis turn 1 or 2, that's a hell of an obstacle to fight through and you might as well call the game right then and there. Oh, and the buildings for some reason don't scale in cost with number of players, even if the effect does.

If you wanted to play something like Imperial Settlers, just play 51st State, where all the players share a pool of cards and they're all razeable.

I'm pretty sure they realized that because Japan has buildings that score a truckload of points at the end. I'm sure some designer somewhere was like "Japan should play like a ninja, sneak a victory in the shadows." Yeah, the game has high variance but that's Egypt's weakness as well, they have 1 oasis in a deck of 30.

I don't care enough about card games to fully analyze the thing but Egypt's strength is overestimated. Although I totally agree that all locations should be equally vulnerable, I don't even know why this was a thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes it is. Do you have the expansion? The base game doesn't have a lot of staying power without it.

Haven't found a decent price for it yet.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Haven't found a decent price for it yet.

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/eminentdomainescalation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Welp, I'm weak and just kickstarted the Evolution expansion and Click Clack Lumberjack.