Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Grand Tetons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3ARoadsign_of_Ii_municipality_Finland.jpg

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Shed load of River Avons in the UK. Avon meaning 'river'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Avon

lol, eleven in the UK, five more in Australia, two each in Canada and NZ, and one wildcard in Spain

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I always thought "Hill Valley" from Back to the Future was a work of art

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Potomac river is NOT one tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate autoantonyms.

Like, why does “sanction” mean “punish”, but only in the context of international relations?

Don’t answer that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I hate autoantonyms.

Like, why does “sanction” mean “punish”, but only in the context of international relations?

Don’t answer that.

well now I had to. Apparently the word comes from sanctus, so some catholic poo poo.

caveat: never trust etymologies from the internet ofc.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I always thought "Hill Valley" from Back to the Future was a work of art

I passed a Hill Valley road sign in rural Oregon, it was hard to fight the urge to steal it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Roblo posted:

Shed load of River Avons in the UK. Avon meaning 'river'.

You have to admit that it's a fitting name.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I hate autoantonyms.

Don’t answer that.

Or like how cleave means to stick to or to cut apart.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Arrath posted:

I passed a Hill Valley road sign in rural Oregon, it was hard to fight the urge to steal it.

There's a road sign not far from my city that announces "Hill Blocks View" and a friend-of-a-friend thought for a very long time that it was the name of a suburb.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Reminded of a Geoguesser clip where a guy thought "potholes" was a city name, pronouncing it "poth-oles".

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
There's a place near me that's called, translated, House-Town-Road. (Husebyvej)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are these all different languages mashing poo poo together, or did someone just say gently caress it

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The last one. For some reason there are several Places named Housestown. Scandics are just hosed in the head honestly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine it's the 'Yucatan' naming convention where some foreigner with a sword and/or slate is pointing at a river going 'What is this called' and the local says '...the river?' and the foreigner writes it down.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The original name for Copenhagen, which is spelled København in danish, is just "Havn" which simply means harbor. København kinda means trade harbor. Very original people the Danes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Haven, harbor hmmmm are they brothers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wheatpuppy posted:

There's a road sign not far from my city that announces "Hill Blocks View"

That's why you get on top of the hill.

Much nicer view from up there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gothenburg means Goth City

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is that where Vampire the Masquerade is set?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In unimaginative naming:

The Capital of South Korea, Seoul, (서울), just means "West City in Korean.

The Capital of Mainland China, Beijing, ( 北京) just means "North City" in Mandarin.

There's more than a couple of these type of names of cities in India in local languages as well.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fun part is it's still happening. There's at least one town in the Philippines that's named "Parking Spot".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I imagine it's the 'Yucatan' naming convention where some foreigner with a sword and/or slate is pointing at a river going 'What is this called' and the local says '...the river?' and the foreigner writes it down.

I like the theory that “Des Moines” means “shitheads”.

catfry posted:

The last one. For some reason there are several Places named Housestown. Scandics are just hosed in the head honestly

Cabo Cotoche is that and the Yucatán thing.

“Cotoch” means “home”.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Platystemon posted:

I like the theory that “Des Moines” means “shitheads”.
It certainly doesn't mean "landing strips for gay Martians"

Because those don't exist

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There's a suburb by Phoenix named Ahwatukee. You'd think perhaps it was a name from the language of one of the many indigenous peoples nearby.
The origin story is that a woman who owned a gigantic ranch there in the early 20th century named it "House of Dreams" in the Crow language. Arizona is hundreds of miles from Crow country, and that lady did not speak or understand the Crow language. Ahwatukee is a total gibberish word in Crow, and sounds nothing like the supposed translation of "House of Dreams"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

In unimaginative naming:

The Capital of South Korea, Seoul, (서울), just means "West City in Korean.

The Capital of Mainland China, Beijing, ( 北京) just means "North City" in Mandarin.

There's more than a couple of these type of names of cities in India in local languages as well.

Beijing is North Capital, to be precise. Compare with Nanjing (South Capital) and Tokyo (East Capital but using the Japanese readings of those characters). I do not believe there is a West Capital.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Wabash = Clear Flowing Water
Ohio = Good River
Mississippi = Great River

A lot of the Mississippi's watershed are just the local word for some variation of river

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Did somebody already post Hillhillhill Hill? (Torpenhow Hill, England).

Surely the best one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fellblade posted:

Surely the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUyXiiIGDTo

Obligatory.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fellblade posted:

Surely the best one.

is it a tautology to post the very thing that started this tangent?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
:angel: Uh Woops

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

There's a suburb by Phoenix named Ahwatukee. You'd think perhaps it was a name from the language of one of the many indigenous peoples nearby.
The origin story is that a woman who owned a gigantic ranch there in the early 20th century named it "House of Dreams" in the Crow language. Arizona is hundreds of miles from Crow country, and that lady did not speak or understand the Crow language. Ahwatukee is a total gibberish word in Crow, and sounds nothing like the supposed translation of "House of Dreams"

Likewise: Idaho is supposed to mean "the sun comes from the mountains" in the shoshone language. Then it was revealed that that is totally nonsense and that Idaho doesn't mean anything.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
there is an Avenue Road right near my house. Spectacularly lazy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marcade posted:

Reminded of a Geoguesser clip where a guy thought "potholes" was a city name, pronouncing it "poth-oles".

It comes from ancient Greek.

Ibblebibble posted:

Beijing is North Capital, to be precise. Compare with Nanjing (South Capital) and Tokyo (East Capital but using the Japanese readings of those characters). I do not believe there is a West Capital.

Well not after the Hyper War, no.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

But of course the eastern capital was only called East Capital to differentiate it from the old capital of Capital City. (Kyoto)

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gothenburg means Goth City

Or Goth Castle. And Geats are not really Goths. So Geat Castle.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Australia has the city of Townsville. It's not technically a tautology, being named after its founder, Robert Towns, but it doesn't stop it sounding stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Idk it's not that geat