Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rt4 posted:

private Github repo

You'll never get a free t-shirt that you'll never wear that way!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
How can I persuade people to formulate a single coherent message that they can then send in its entirety in chat instead of a slow, drawn-out stream of consciousness over a series of messages? I've tried telling folks that they don't need to start a query with just "Hi" and await response before proceeding to their specific question/thought, but it just doesn't stick.

quote:

Hi

quote:

quick question

quote:

Just want to get your take on (broad subject X)

quote:

Do you think you could help

quote:

?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve come to accept that that’s just how some people use messaging apps, and wait a bit for all the messages to come in.

Like how some people always have 2 billion unread emails in their inbox.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

How can I persuade people to formulate a single coherent message that they can then send in its entirety in chat instead of a slow, drawn-out stream of consciousness over a series of messages? I've tried telling folks that they don't need to start a query with just "Hi" and await response before proceeding to their specific question/thought, but it just doesn't stick.

Send them this: https://www.nohello.com/.

Real answer: explain to them that it's easier to facilitate asynchronous communication if they just ask the question and let you respond when you see it or have time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cugel the Clever posted:

"If I can't tell right away what's going on, I'm going to close the window and then maybe check back in a few minutes when I think you might be done, if I remember. If you want me to respond faster, or ever, you should try to front load the message."

Then start outright delaying or ignoring stream of consciousness stuff to drill it in.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Send them this: https://www.nohello.com/.

Real answer: explain to them that it's easier to facilitate asynchronous communication if they just ask the question and let you respond when you see it or have time.

I work with a guy who is very aggressive about sending people this URL and even set it in his Teams status. He is also a huge rear end in a top hat in general, immediately makes it clear through vibes that all requests for his time/attention are barely tolerated.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cugel the Clever posted:

Be kind and patient and know that they're not trying to frustrate you by typing that way.

Instead of trying to change their behavior by passive aggressively tapping the "nohello.com" sign or saying something brusque, perhaps just respond "hi" and then alt/cmd-tab back to what you were doing until they finish asking the question.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My boss and I have come to an understanding that the length of the word "hi" is indicative of how annoying the request will be.

"hi" = simple question with a quick answer
"hiii" = probably found a bug
"hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" = I'm about to derail your day, possibly week

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And of you walk up and go “hello sir” what does that mean???

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I gave in to just typing, "hi" back since it's the fastest, least offensive way of advancing the dialog.

It still doesn't help the ones that beat around the bush but flashing back within five seconds of the message has somehow cut that down.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Yeah, my prior efforts at coaxing people off it have all been polite nudges, trying to make it more about me than them ("Hey, don't hesitate to jump straight to your question, I'm down!"). But yeah, given that it doesn't take, I can only assume that those folks prefer to communicate like that. Which makes me wonder how others take it when I do a single, concise query... Maybe it's just as frustrating to some people as message dribbles are to me?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I used to have nohello as my status message for a while, but that never made a difference and I probably just seemed like a jerk so I stopped before long. I think the best option is a short response that prompts them to get to the point in a polite way, like "hi, how can I help you?" for example.

But yeah, people are going to keep sending their questions like this, you won't be able to change that so just learn to deal with it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Woebin posted:

I think the best option is a short response that prompts them to get to the point in a polite way, like "hi, how can I help you?" for example.

Yep, this. I use “Hey, what’s up?”. That way they know I’m available and it prompts them to get to the point, but it still comes off as friendly and makes you not look weird and impatient if they actually just wanted to chitchat/introduce themselves/some other non-work-related thing. Trying to make people to change the way they chat to you, even politely, is gonna make you look like the world’s biggest control freak so I wouldn’t advise it

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Not a huge fan of "hi" but I do find the "sudden wall of text" technique a little jarring. Especially without paragraphs.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Xguard86 posted:

Not a huge fan of "hi" but I do find the "sudden wall of text" technique a little jarring. Especially without paragraphs.
Yeah if I'm going to do that, rather than a quick question, I'll tell them "Hi, got a question about X with Y. Feel free to answer in your own time", hit enter, and then send the rest of the message (also include paragraphs).

At my last job there were two people who would say "hi" and would only respond if I said hello back. Which, in the case of one guy, he was barely coherent when he asked questions and I'd have to decipher what the hell he had going on in his brain/what he told the clients before I could actually answer his bad questions, so I would generally not respond to him until I was mentally prepared.

This didn't stop him from DMing everyone on my team though doing the same thing when they'd just send him to me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xguard86 posted:

Wall of text is for emails IMO. I’d only use chat for quick questions. If I want to send a lot of questions or explain something in detail a gigantic IM thread just feels wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When someone says Hi, reply back with "hi. Could you please do xxx"

Eventually they'll beat you to the request or question

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Woebin posted:

But yeah, people are going to keep sending their questions like this, you won't be able to change that so just learn to deal with it.

i make a huge effort to always say "hi, (request)" every time so hopefully people pick up on it

it's not going great

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

you can break it up! an intro to your problem is better than waiting 5 minutes for a wall of text after the initial "hi"

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah if I'm going to do that, rather than a quick question, I'll tell them "Hi, got a question about X with Y. Feel free to answer in your own time", hit enter, and then send the rest of the message (also include paragraphs).
Hi, got a quick response to this, feel free to answer when you can.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If it has paragraphs it goes in email.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This is my response: I hate it! By sending the initial "hi", you're interrupting whatever focus I may have had, and then as I see the "x is typing..." notice is going to continue disrupting my focus as it occupies part of my brain while I wait for you to finish writing whatever your question is. If anything, I find this even worse than the twelve short messages in quick succession!

Ultimately though, people are different. If you're available and can send the quickfire stream to those who prefer it and the short novel in one go to those who prefer that, you'll be everyone's favorite. I've never seen anytime switch like that though, myself included even when I try to be considerate of others' preference.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'd much prefer to deal with a wall of text in slack then in an email. :shrug: Although, if we were in pre-remote times, I'd almost certainly stop at a desk or set a quick meeting in a common area to engage in a verbal conversation as that's how I feel I'm most effective in walking through answers.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My problem with "hi" is that it doesn't give me the chance to determine the importance or time commitment of the issue before committing to dealing with it. As soon as I respond it is established that I'm there, so I feel committed to immediately help whether it is a 2 second question or something that is going to take an hour to figure out.

If you just send me "hi" I'm more likely to just ignore it until I have time to deal with whatever you might ask even if it ends up being a 2 second question.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Jose Valasquez posted:

My problem with "hi" is that it doesn't give me the chance to determine the importance or time commitment of the issue before committing to dealing with it. As soon as I respond it is established that I'm there, so I feel committed to immediately help whether it is a 2 second question or something that is going to take an hour to figure out.

If you just send me "hi" I'm more likely to just ignore it until I have time to deal with whatever you might ask even if it ends up being a 2 second question.

Either way, whether the person said “hi” before their big request or just went for it, it’s fair to tell them your priorities and timeframe for helping them out. A workplace where saying “hi” gets you in trouble and being straight up unresponsive is... fine is a bizarre one. Why not set an expectation either way, unless you’re so slammed with insane requests that you don’t have time to say no.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I prefer https://nohello.net/ because it’s a little friendlier in its design/presentation/message. But I don’t just reply with whenever someone sends me “hi.” I try to make it an occasional proactive culture conversation in #general or #random.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I usually say "hi," then wait for a response. When they respond, I follow up with an invitation to a conference call with no agenda or topic. That way, I get the information I need without anyone having to do any tedious typing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

YanniRotten posted:

Either way, whether the person said “hi” before their big request or just went for it, it’s fair to tell them your priorities and timeframe for helping them out. A workplace where saying “hi” gets you in trouble and being straight up unresponsive is... fine is a bizarre one. Why not set an expectation either way, unless you’re so slammed with insane requests that you don’t have time to say no.
Chat is asynchronous communication, nobody should be expected to drop everything and respond immediately whether the opening message is "hi" or "hi, <question>"

If a message comes in that can be handled quickly or is an emergency I'll respond quickly, otherwise I'm going to finish whatever I'm doing first.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

This discussion is funny to me because at my last job I got chastised for being overly verbose when I front-loaded even somewhat complex questions in Slack posts. Or I got told to take it to email, or to just ask in person, and the actually correct action I should have taken regarding my question seemed to vary by phase of the moon or something because my approach was always the wrong approach. No one took kindly to dribbled out walls of unsubstantial messages either, so damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

It’s not a problem at my current job because everyone on the dev team has good writing and communication skills, and we’re all old enough to have started texting when we got charged per text and therefore never got into the habit of spewing out a pile of useless messages before getting to the point.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

rt4 posted:

I usually say "hi," then wait for a response. When they respond, I follow up with an invitation to a conference call with no agenda or topic. That way, I get the information I need without anyone having to do any tedious typing.
This post made me shiver IRL.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Maybe it's all the time spent playing everquest but I sort of prefer slack for most conversations.

I can talk to multiple people, there's a record if I forget or want to share info w/o garbling it and there's time to think and structure thoughts.

I also try to state my priority early or use the @ stuff effectively so I'm not intruding on people. I know how annoying it is having a busy body manager.

I am sort of hoping my comfort with async, remote tools and generally calm way of working is a unique advantage as a manager. Because I see so few who are comfortable with it.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 16, 2020

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

If I'm feeling particularly passive aggressive I respond back immediately with a "hi" then ignore any follow-up for an hour or two and reply back, "Woops sorry was in a meeting." Since my entire day is nothing but meetings this isn't untrue. :sigh:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

rt4 posted:

:murder:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

me at 10:00 AM posted:

Hi

poor soul at 10:05 AM posted:

Hey what's up?

me at 10:20 AM posted:

Can I ask you a quick question?

poor soul at 10:21 AM posted:

Sure.

me at 10:45 AM posted:

<Zoom invitation>

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spoiler and NSFL tag this horror post immediately

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I once asked a coworker what package I was supposed to put some new code in and they scheduled a two-hour meeting for the next morning to talk about it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Didn't know we had so many producers ITT.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jose Valasquez posted:

Chat is asynchronous communication, nobody should be expected to drop everything and respond immediately whether the opening message is "hi" or "hi, <question>"

It's not really asynchronous though. If it was I wouldn't miss email so much.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ya'll need kids. I welcome coworkers interruptions over the kids every 15 minutes "can you come HERE? I need xxxxxx!"

But seriously there is no perfect way to do it. I start some conversations with "Morning/Afternoon <persons name>, *some useful, concise words*." I think it makes it a little more personable in times of 100% remote work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Man I was having a google meets call with my coworkers yesterday (since both me and my wife were working from home).
Anyway my coworker needed some help making some dumb-rear end excel sheet for a report and he just couldn't handle writing poo poo like "we found this error, fixed in this branch (link to merge request). Merging is done."
So I told my coworker to stop loving around, let's pick up the pace and get it done within an hour. So I did most of the heavy lifting and got the drat report done within 20 mins.

The call ended and my wife just asked "why are your coworkers so useless?"

I sighed heavily. I think it's time to switch jobs...