Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Prioritize anything that gives you more oxygen capacity or movement speed at the start. Longer you can stay underwater the more you can get in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Reveilled posted:

It shouldn't be that hard to find Limestone, it's fairly abundant across the safe shallows and the kelp forests. You generally won't find more than two or three next to each other, though, so you need to just swim around and keep your eye out, mostly around cliffs. There's a big coral tube you can swim through that has a lot of rocks to harvest though, if you can find that.

If it's titanium you're after, you can also gather up metal salvage and break that down into Titanium (not helpful if you need copper of course). Once you have a scanner room and the scanner HUD upgrade, you can see the location of things you're searching for through walls.

Cool. I think i'm a little further ahead than that. I've got the glider and i'm mainly on the hunt for things like silver to start building an air recycler to dive deeper down into those caves in the 2nd biome you're led to (the red grassy one).

I might be at the point where i can start building bases, but i've not really expanded into that yet because i'm struggling to find the lime/sandstone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh god, I googled a video for this and additionally learned that you can apparently build double-wide alien containments in large rooms.
Goddamn, I wish I'd picked up on this sooner.

My next playthrough is essentially just going to be 70% homebuilding

Something I also never thought of is that you can breed sea monkeys and then just release them outside your base since they don't despawn unless killed.
Someone should try this in combination with the HUD-recipe trick for resource-gathering.

Also FYI, you can expand them even more by stacking large buildings on one another. My current base is primarily three large-rooms stacked with a ton of windows, glass dome room on top building, with alien containment that spans all three floors.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the addition of the mineral detector in Below Zero really really helps, I had the same exact issue in the original with swimming around trying to find rocks until I got a scanner room and the scan HUD chip.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
If that shadow leviathan near the fabricator base just wanted to live in peace and not get punched/gassed to death it should have left my loving PRAWN alone while I was trying to build Al-an a body.

Or the game should have let my PRAWN fit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One way to check for visible-but-occluded outcrops is to not scan them, then wave your scanner over an area and see if any scannable options pop up. Not much use if you've already scanned, though.

Sandstone in shallows and kelp forest tends to be in caves. There's a large cavern in the northern kelp forest (I think near one of the life pods) that's open to the surface and has tons, but it has one of those hypno-fish so be wary of your oxygen count as you might lose a bunch if you get charmed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Turns out that once AL-AN leaves your head, the seamonkeys start stealing again :(

The devs are doing an AMA over on reddit, they confirmed that there will be more Subnautica, but not in the near future as they have essentially been working on Subnautica games for 8 years now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ng843c/we_made_subnautica_and_subnautica_below_zero_ama/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oasx posted:

Turns out that once AL-AN leaves your head, the seamonkeys start stealing again :(

The devs are doing an AMA over on reddit, they confirmed that there will be more Subnautica, but not in the near future as they have essentially been working on Subnautica games for 8 years now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ng843c/we_made_subnautica_and_subnautica_below_zero_ama/

I was relieved to see that they are considering porting some of the improvements in BZ back to the original

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

people posted:

how diamonds :words:

...I completely forgot that there were other parts of the map besides Delta. I should go check them out :downs:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Looking forward to Natural Selection III, taking place on an unnamed ocean world and its orbital stations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

This didn't happen for me, they were still doing the thing after I did the thing.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Anyone have a good on land base location? I've been toying with trying to get something set up near Phi docks but it seems like finding terrain that works is rough.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

WebDO posted:

Anyone have a good on land base location? I've been toying with trying to get something set up near Phi docks but it seems like finding terrain that works is rough.

I setup on a large beach near the bridge that you have to repair. Should be close to an Artifact marker you get early and provides close access to both land biomes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen screenshots of people stacking large rooms in a layered fashion, not exactly on top of each other but slightly off center, to make a tiered system. Does anyone know how those people did that?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So after confirming I have scanned them already.

Am I missing something or do ribbon plants not show up as an option on the mineral scanner or scan room (one right by the escape pod too)? They can list table coral, at least. But I'm out of battery parts and still didn't get around to unlocking alien containment or exterior planters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 20, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What makes you think a ribbon plant would be findable with a mineral scanner?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Section Z posted:

So after confirming I have scanned them already.

Am I missing something or do ribbon plants not show up as an option on the mineral scanner or scan room (one right by the escape pod too)? They can list table coral, at least. But I'm out of battery parts and still didn't get around to unlocking alien containment or exterior planters.

Yeah they're pretty much just plants.

There's quite a lot of them and they regrow/respawn.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

uXs posted:

You can also plant them in an external flower bed and grow them

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

What makes you think a ribbon plant would be findable with a mineral scanner?

Because the scanners can find table coral, which is another flora used to make electronics. So not much of a stretch to expect it to work on ribbon plants too.

uXs posted:

Guess I was having some bad luck with the respawns because the usual little caves I'd scoop them from have been empty for ages.

Thankfully the magic power of "Complain on the internet" also means I just stumbled across some random abandoned foundations covered in exterior growbeds with ribbon plants growing from them in the past five minutes, to finally unlock growbeds in the first place this run.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Table corals have minerals in them, which is why they are used to make computer chips

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I try not to think too hard about the automagical fabrication system. I think it's for the best.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How are you supposed to get Stalker fur? I've got a prawn suit so I suppose I don't actually need to make any snow clothes, and I don't need to hurt stalkers. I've been through plenty of caves they hang out in, never found any latent tufts of fur. This game really expects you to murder the Baltos to get a resource item? Hope I'm just missing something, think they'd at least have some chests with it in there instead of all this useless fiber.edit: ok i immediately found a source without killing. cool, good.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 20, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khanstant posted:

How are you supposed to get Stalker fur? I've got a prawn suit so I suppose I don't actually need to make any snow clothes, and I don't need to hurt stalkers. I've been through plenty of caves they hang out in, never found any latent tufts of fur. This game really expects you to murder the Baltos to get a resource item? Hope I'm just missing something, think they'd at least have some chests with it in there instead of all this useless fiber.

Use a spy pengling on a stalker.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Khanstant posted:

How are you supposed to get Stalker fur? I've got a prawn suit so I suppose I don't actually need to make any snow clothes, and I don't need to hurt stalkers. I've been through plenty of caves they hang out in, never found any latent tufts of fur. This game really expects you to murder the Baltos to get a resource item? Hope I'm just missing something, think they'd at least have some chests with it in there instead of all this useless fiber.

The stalker fur is mostly in caves where they have nests raising their young. You should be able to find enough laying around in the area past the Phi Robotics Lab to craft the whole snow suit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't know what a Baltos is, but I will confirm that murdering Stalkers yields no fur. Somehow. I understand that it's about keeping Subnautica's pacifist stance, but it's still goddamn stupid when you're standing over a warm Stalker corpse with knife in hand going "whelp, guess I'm going to find a fur sample elsewhere!"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i murdered a stalker in its cave and found a bunch of fur laying around in there, so just do that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I spent so long getting the 3 bits of quartz I needed to build a hatch and fabricator and now I've got a pengling and it's like quartz hoards everywhere.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The best way to deal with the polar bear things is to just install the propulsion cannon on your prawn suit and yeet them into the water.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I got somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. There was a long expanse of empty snow, then a steep drop down to a sandy plane, and a little past that both dropped down into an ocean.

I had saved before jumping into the snow wasteland since it seemed suspicious, so I took the plunge and something angry spawned and killed me when I jumped out to try and scan it.
Didn't complete scan but it said Cherilicate or something, which I think was then ame of one of the other squidsharks? This one looked more browny and mottled? So I dunno if that's just this versions ghost leviathans that spawn to chomp u if you go out of bounds or there was just one over here for some reason?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah those are BZ's border ghost leviathans

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sea monkeys are perfect in every way except that I can't offer them things in return

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i murdered a stalker in its cave and found a bunch of fur laying around in there, so just do that

I murdered a stalker in its cave because there were a couple heaps of fur behind it that I wanted to grab.
Turns those heaps were its sleeping younglings, and I had just murdered their mommy.

:(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/AM215bC.mp4

Sir you are dead. How are you doing that

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

https://i.imgur.com/AM215bC.mp4

Sir you are dead. How are you doing that

Uh...are those even supposed to be down there?
And that gentleshark looks rather contracted, as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, there's at least one of them there naturally guarding the point of interest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Finished the game last night. Overall the game was just "more subnautica" which is pretty much what I expected, but I'm disappointed there was nothing to truly surprise me and subvert that expectation. I enjoyed the game, but a few things really stood out as seeming unfinished, or at least uninspired.

Felt unfinished:
Maida was great, but despite being a big wow moment when you meet her at Delta Station, she just fully checks out of the story after the Greenhouse and that's that.

The Sam plotline didn't make much sense to me in the end. What I gathered was that Sam died in the Phi Excavation Site (since her necklace was there), and that Alterra judged it to be accidental based on a cave in. But there's no real indication I can see of the truth of the matter. Sam wanted to stop Alterra from using the Kharaa bacteria, she had an antidote (that somehow doesn't use Enzyme 42?), and there's an injector machine right next to the leviathan, but she didn't use either. Presumably then she really did die just before getting a chance to complete her plan. So how did she die? Did she kill herself accidentally in a cave-in? Was there a fight between her and Parvan that caused the cave-in? Did Parvan kill her? Also, if the investigator sent in after visited both the Excavation site and the genetics lab, why isn't Alterra back in force? Investigator lady should have been able to read all the same PDAs I did.

More broadly, it felt pretty limp that I discovered the excavation site so early in the game, it made that aspect of the plot feel very short and perfunctory, though I later found the other bases to fill out the bits in between.
Also was very weird that the PDA that tells you about the leviathan is Fred telling Sam that he's seen some weird poo poo piloting his seatruck, including a leviathan frozen in ice, and then the actual cave is well into the glacier and accessed on foot. How did Fred find that in his seatruck? Why was Fred out in the middle of nowhere past phi robotics, where he wouldn't need to make deliveries in truck or on foot anyway?

The crafting felt very bare-bones, many of the processed components you make are used in only a single recipe, and I finished the game without every actually unlocking the recipe for some of them. I found the kelp roots 20 minutes into the game, gathered up some of the root globules, and discovered in the end that you need exactly two of them in the whole game to craft one of the final components, and literally nothing else at all!

Felt uninspired:
The final few hours of the game played out almost identically to the first game, which was a bit of a letdown. I felt like I was just going through the motions in the Crystal Caves and Fabricator Caves; once you're there, there's nothing left to do in the game other than beeline straight for the last artifact, come back to craft that, then beeline straight back down to fabricate Al-an's body. Other than the artifact and the fabricator, there's functionally nothing in either Biome other than their cool looks. You grab some Kyanite on your first visit and that's it.

I enjoyed the game, like I did Subnautica, but to me it really has the feeling of having been pushed out of Early Access before it was really done. Much like the original, I guess.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Reveilled posted:

More broadly, it felt pretty limp that I discovered the excavation site so early in the game, it made that aspect of the plot feel very short and perfunctory, though I later found the other bases to fill out the bits in between.
Also was very weird that the PDA that tells you about the leviathan is Fred telling Sam that he's seen some weird poo poo piloting his seatruck, including a leviathan frozen in ice, and then the actual cave is well into the glacier and accessed on foot. How did Fred find that in his seatruck? Why was Fred out in the middle of nowhere past phi robotics, where he wouldn't need to make deliveries in truck or on foot anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdix1XxaZyU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ending spoilers:

Am I supposed to actually do something with the injector thing near the frozen leviathan? I left the planet with Alan, but I can't but feel I've missed something with the Khaara storyline. Am I done or should I keep looking?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

uXs posted:

Ending spoilers:

Am I supposed to actually do something with the injector thing near the frozen leviathan? I left the planet with Alan, but I can't but feel I've missed something with the Khaara storyline. Am I done or should I keep looking?

In the audio logs Sam reveals that she made a cure for the virus and hid it, in her room (I think) you find a map that shows you where the various areas are where only the spy pengling can go, one of them is marked. Take the spy penglin there and send it in to retrieve the cure, and then use the cure on the injectior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

In the audio logs Sam reveals that she made a cure for the virus and hid it, in her room (I think) you find a map that shows you where the various areas are where only the spy pengling can go, one of them is marked. Take the spy penglin there and send it in to retrieve the cure, and then use the cure on the injectior.

Wow. Kinda amazing how you can basically skip one half of the ending completely and you'd never even know.