Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

If you're streaming or recording it I'll tune in. I've wanted to put a little one together for a bit now just using my own collection but have been too lazy to work out the logistics.

Combo Breaker is also this weekend if anyone else can't get enough of mystery tournament action.

I love mystery tournaments, is CB streaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I just notice something kind of cool. They did a Street Fighter IV challenge on latest episode of The Amazing Race. The contestants had to win a round vs a Korean pro. The contestants were given American-style bat top sticks, while the Korean pros used ball tops. That had to be intentional. I probably wouldn't have noticed that little tidbit if I hadn't read about the different tops in this thread.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I just notice something kind of cool. They did a Street Fighter IV challenge on latest episode of The Amazing Race. The contestants had to win a round vs a Korean pro. The contestants were given American-style bat top sticks, while the Korean pros used ball tops. That had to be intentional. I probably wouldn't have noticed that little tidbit if I hadn't read about the different tops in this thread.

I've been a fan of Amazing Race for years but stopped watching after the seasons started to be more gimmicky (dropped it completely when the contestants were 'internet celebrities' - which I didn't recognize a single one) but I guess I will have to check this out. Although if the pro plays 100%, the teams might spend hours here and their hands would bleed, kinda like that infamous rolling open hay stacks challenge in Sweden.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

With the Gamerz Tek HD NES clone down to $30 in Amazon, and the RetroN 1HD coming out in a couple weeks, does anyone have any opinions on these HDMI NES clones?

Also, is there an X in 1 cart that hits the big nostalgic releases, maybe has a save battery for Zelda? My boss missed out on the NES Classic and wants to play Mario.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I've been a fan of Amazing Race for years but stopped watching after the seasons started to be more gimmicky (dropped it completely when the contestants were 'internet celebrities' - which I didn't recognize a single one) but I guess I will have to check this out. Although if the pro plays 100%, the teams might spend hours here and their hands would bleed, kinda like that infamous rolling open hay stacks challenge in Sweden.

Yeah, the YouTube superstars season was awful. The current season also has a bit of a gimmick, but it's one that's worked to keep things pretty exciting.

RodShaft posted:

Also, is there an X in 1 cart that hits the big nostalgic releases, maybe has a save battery for Zelda? My boss missed out on the NES Classic and wants to play Mario.

Those pirate carts are inevitably cheap and lazy and I don't think I've ever seen one that included saving. You will get a dozen versions of Bird Week with a few bytes slightly changed, though.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

TeaJay posted:

The pros got a handicap after so many wins. First they played one handed, then they played one handed and blindfolded. Some of the teams still had a lot of trouble.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the YouTube superstars season was awful. The current season also has a bit of a gimmick, but it's one that's worked to keep things pretty exciting.

Those pirate carts are inevitably cheap and lazy and I don't think I've ever seen one that included saving. You will get a dozen versions of Bird Week with a few bytes slightly changed, though.

BIRD WEEK BIRD WEEK

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Breath of the Wild has given me a new appreciation for Zelda II. I wish I played it when it was new because jumping into that game after Zelda 1 must've been a crazy leap. I just wish the game wasn't so obtuse because there's a lot of great concepts buried in NES era "buy a walkthrough" design. I want to see a concept of what a SNES era Zelda would've looked like if Zelda 2 was the blueprint. What's the closest example, Demon's Crest?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Symphony of the Night? SUPER Metroid?
Zeldavania?

I think the coolest, albeit probably most jarring, aspect of the NEW era was having sequels that were really divergent from that the previous installment offered. Zelda is obvious, but Simon's Quest being an action/adventure with rpgisms, or Super Mario 2's mechanics and settings.

Kind of cool that kids rolled with it. It was just like 'oh yes New Mario is an isometric puzzle ROB of course'

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Discount Viscount posted:

If you're streaming or recording it I'll tune in. I've wanted to put a little one together for a bit now just using my own collection but have been too lazy to work out the logistics.

Combo Breaker is also this weekend if anyone else can't get enough of mystery tournament action.

We don't stream it because con Internet is a joke, but we put it on YouTube after the fact, I'll drop a link once it's up there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Playing Breath of the Wild has given me a new appreciation for Zelda II. I wish I played it when it was new because jumping into that game after Zelda 1 must've been a crazy leap. I just wish the game wasn't so obtuse because there's a lot of great concepts buried in NES era "buy a walkthrough" design. I want to see a concept of what a SNES era Zelda would've looked like if Zelda 2 was the blueprint. What's the closest example, Demon's Crest?

Ys 3 is probably the closest right down to side scrolling combat that doesn't really work well.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

Dragon View, maybe? It has a similar combination of side-scrolling dungeons and an overworld with visible enemies (albeit in primitive 3-D). It's a pretty neat game, too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'll be at CB on the Mystery wait list cuz it was closed when I registered.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

Might be a bit of a stretch but this game is clearly Zelda II inspired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGU2GtkYzA

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kid Fenris posted:

Dragon View, maybe? It has a similar combination of side-scrolling dungeons and an overworld with visible enemies (albeit in primitive 3-D). It's a pretty neat game, too.

Yeah I was thinking this. I played through it recently and had a lot of fun but I couldn't beat the end boss without cheesing it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the thread approved sd cart for SNES? I don't care about fan enhanced stuff or special chip games, I'll just emulate those. I would like one that lets me backup saves because god drat if I'm going to start Secret of Mana over from scratch for the 30th time.

Light Gun Man posted:

Might be a bit of a stretch but this game is clearly Zelda II inspired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGU2GtkYzA

I wish I didn't play the original DS version because it soured my opinion on this game. The DS version is absolute rear end with jpg artifacts and horribly sampled music that sounds worse than early GBA stuff.

Kid Fenris posted:

Yes, Dragon View! Now I'm feeling nostalgic for a pseudo sequel to Drakkhen of all games.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

What's the thread approved sd cart for SNES? I don't care about fan enhanced stuff or special chip games, I'll just emulate those. I would like one that lets me backup saves because god drat if I'm going to start Secret of Mana over from scratch for the 30th time.

If you really don't care about enhanced stuff or games with special chips, and are fine with some small loading time, then you can probably survive with a Super Everdrive. It'll save you a lot of money over the SD2SNES.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shout out to my local goodwill, who thinks $5 is a good price to ask for a loose copy of NBA live on n64 with a garbage label.

I was gonna pick it up for the shell until I saw the price. $0.99 or nothin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TeaJay posted:

For me nothing tops the Australian boomerang challenge. They were trying to throw a single boomerang and have it return for HOURS. :allears:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

Playing Breath of the Wild has given me a new appreciation for Zelda II. I wish I played it when it was new because jumping into that game after Zelda 1 must've been a crazy leap.

It was, and I enjoyed it immensely. Part of that is my natural fondness for arcade-style hack-n-slash games so I might be biased. It got me thinking what other games would also be cool with sideview action elements (I would have loved a Dragon Quest like this). And yes, Dragon View is a really neat game but I don't think many people have played it. So is EVO.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most common Super Everdrive shell is a Super Famicom one, although they all say "region free." Is it somehow compatible in an unmodified SNES or am I dusting off my SFC for this? I don't know why using an SNES shell causes a massive spike in price.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

al-azad posted:

The most common Super Everdrive shell is a Super Famicom one, although they all say "region free." Is it somehow compatible in an unmodified SNES or am I dusting off my SFC for this? I don't know why using an SNES shell causes a massive spike in price.

SFC carts are not squared like SNES carts so they fit any slot and the molds flash cart makers use have the corners removed so that they work in all systems.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

the custom shells which are the curved non-NA type do have grooves added in so they will go in an unmodded NA SNES. They may rub slightly against the front part of an NA SNES cart slot but they'll fit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I discovered just a while earlier that the custom "PAL/SFC" type shells Krikzz uses are a bit larger than original carts so it rubbed on the front part of the cart slot of my SNES mini, making it a really tight fit, which was actually kinda uncomfortable. I haven't removed it since, though. But my plan is to get a Super Game Boy (2) and a GB Everdrive for it so I might have to at some point.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

speaking of which I got my aliexpress copies of ALien Soldier and God Medicine in. I made one quick save, turned off and reloaded in GodMedicine, and it seems to have stuck.but we'll see.

And it has a symphony of the night reference in the translation. Wonderful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Pirate carts of single games tend to be a different thing than pirate multicarts. It's relatively cheap and easy for a pirate cart maker to implement saving for a single game, and it really helps for when they want to pass off a title as legit. But implementing saving for games on multicarts is a real headache, since the code for a different game might try to use the SRAM etc save address space for its own uses and corrupt any saved games.

This could be handled with careful patching of the ROMs they use, by why go to the effort as a multicart maker?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Here's a fun question for you all: what is the strangest voluntary-yet-compulsory behavior you find yourself doing in video games?

An example - when playing Castlevania after defeating a stage boss, I always end up trying to get my whip to have the full extension when the screen freezes a la "The Breakfast Club" fist in the air.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Here's a fun question for you all: what is the strangest voluntary-yet-compulsory behavior you find yourself doing in video games?

An example - when playing Castlevania after defeating a stage boss, I always end up trying to get my whip to have the full extension when the screen freezes a la "The Breakfast Club" fist in the air.

Hey you took mine :mad:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I gotta jump and catch the wand in Mario 3 before it hits the ground.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gotta

Laslow posted:

I gotta jump and catch the wand in Mario 3 before it hits the ground.

gently caress, beaten

Everybody does that one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If it's Castlevania IV specifically I always try to whip down at the last moment so it looks like he's precariously on top of a pole.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Since two obvious ones were taken, I'll take the third obvious one of jumping through the Mega Man screen transitions - especially with regards to boss doors.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

the wizards beard posted:

I know that interest in demoscene stuff probably isn't huge in this tread, but Titan released a new Mega Drive prod last month and jeeeez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGdJk5zb6c

I used to live with alk from Titan

Demosceners are weird dudes

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gunstar Heroes has some good end-of-level poses. There's the turning-around animation frame, the half-circle standing ground slide, and of course air attacks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think this was a Konami because Rocket Knight does the exact same thing and will freeze frame on one of Sparkster's many beautiful animations.

If the menu makes sound effects I will navigate it to the beat of the music e.g. Luigi's Mansion's amazing menu music. I'll also click the thumbsticks to the music or jump if the game has a jumping sound effect. Used to annoy my sister whenever I played Super Mario RPG.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Pirate carts of single games tend to be a different thing than pirate multicarts. It's relatively cheap and easy for a pirate cart maker to implement saving for a single game, and it really helps for when they want to pass off a title as legit. But implementing saving for games on multicarts is a real headache, since the code for a different game might try to use the SRAM etc save address space for its own uses and corrupt any saved games.

This could be handled with careful patching of the ROMs they use, by why go to the effort as a multicart maker?

Right now there are a few NES multi carts on AliExpress with SRAM. Either they only include one game that saves, like the 150 in 1 with the PAL version of Kirby's Adventure, or they have several games that use SRAM but only one SRAM slot so you can only play one game that saves at a time. Generally they don't go to any effort to get clean versions of games, either, so expect JP, US and PAL versions thrown together and some games with extra glitches because of whatever patching they had to do to make it work on the cart.

The GBA multicarts at least let you save more than one game at once, but the one I have mutes the GB sound channels every time you save. Very annoying in Harmony of Dissonance.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How will I ever remember which colored buttons go where?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GutBomb posted:

How will I ever remember which colored buttons go where?

What's with that skittles controller? Is that some Hori third party nonsense? Everyone knows Super Ness buttons are purple.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Since two obvious ones were taken, I'll take the third obvious one of jumping through the Mega Man screen transitions - especially with regards to boss doors.

Except for Flash Man. You have to slide backwards through that boss door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Grapeshot posted:

Right now there are a few NES multi carts on AliExpress with SRAM. Either they only include one game that saves, like the 150 in 1 with the PAL version of Kirby's Adventure, or they have several games that use SRAM but only one SRAM slot so you can only play one game that saves at a time. Generally they don't go to any effort to get clean versions of games, either, so expect JP, US and PAL versions thrown together and some games with extra glitches because of whatever patching they had to do to make it work on the cart.

The GBA multicarts at least let you save more than one game at once, but the one I have mutes the GB sound channels every time you save. Very annoying in Harmony of Dissonance.

I was looking at this one specifically. It seems to have all the games she would want, but if the saves don't work there's no point in getting that to build her a cobbled together NES classic.

Any opinions on the Gamerz Tek vs RetroN hdmi NES offerings are still welcome.

• Locked thread