Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No wonder you all hate games if you play them like that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

treizebee posted:

That's quite a stance to take when the potential of enjoyment I am missing out on is obtaining ~100 legendary shards...a week earlier.
Or
You're wrong and masterworks are dynamically added to legendary engram loot tables and I get a nice surprise when decrpyting.
Pretty sure he was still making GBS threads on the guy hoarding shaders.

I'm fine with giving up the Destiny 1 shader system because now we get to shade the poo poo we're actually looking at 95% of the time: Guns.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
^ Oh. Coming from Gw2, I initially found the one-time use limitation to be dumb, but the drop rate is fantastic. The 50 slot max and can't delete full stacks thing is worse.

Norns posted:

No wonder you all hate games if you play them like that guy

For not opening guaranteed duplicates on the off-chance I get something new.
There's a couple of you here seemingly mad about this? :allears:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
because people have been doing what you are doing since the first destiny 1 expansion and then they always complain afterward

it gets annoying after like 3 years

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Not mad at all I just think you're loving stupid

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, i can't really be mad at obstinately wrong guy, because he's 'correct' and he doesn't lose anything by waiting, but at the same time i've seen like twelve destiny patches that added loot and i promise your engrams will give you old crappy guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ng0WImoeEw

this guy talks a lot about bad guns in destiny 2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The watermelon shader is really good.

I put it on my cape.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

FutureCop posted:

trying to make it so that players weren't "optimizing the fun out of the game" by trying to make them do varied activites and such

This would have required them to communicate aspects of the games mechanics to the players, which is time and again something Bungie have really sucked at being able to do for some reason. I am fine with the concept of scaling the XP rewards based on activity duration in theory, but for the system to actually do what Bungie says they wanted it to do then it would have had to communicate the fact that your XP rewards are being scaled.

Now I constantly find myself questioning if they're loving with numbers behind the scenes in other ways, like exotic engram drops or the way the faction/ib rewards are given out. Around the same time the XP stink kicked off I realised all of my characters will get an exotic drop from PEs within the first handful they do of the week, and then won't get any more until the next reset. I just want to play the game and get cool items to do cool things with, but everything is so strongly built with the concept of only having so many shots per week at getting those cool items. Some of those limits are made obvious, where as others could very well just be glass walls that the game will happily dangle the potential of a reward on the other side of.

Maybe I'm just super loving lucky at the start of the weekly reset? Or is that exotic engram drop a hidden bonus? Or is it a hard limit or a penalty applied to the number that you can get from PEs every week? Is it global across all playlists, or do strikes have their own limits? Is it in some way tied to the XP scaling limits we now know about??? Who knows!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Your scaling XP system should never run into an issue where it effectively gives you 0 loving experience :shrug:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
The best destiny horde mode was not even created by the Devs.

It was the Skywatch when two factions would attack each another, and at the same time a satellyte event would crash and a special hard to kill yellow enemy would show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJGcxbbP4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWbbMJ-n3Q
(can't find a good video of it)

My words fail to describe the epic experience and chaotic combat that that would ensue.

Now I read the the game has been engineered to remove chaos, and is kind of sad.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 4, 2017

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MrBadidea posted:

This would have required them to communicate aspects of the games mechanics to the players, which is time and again something Bungie have really sucked at being able to do for some reason. I am fine with the concept of scaling the XP rewards based on activity duration in theory, but for the system to actually do what Bungie says they wanted it to do then it would have had to communicate the fact that your XP rewards are being scaled.

Now I constantly find myself questioning if they're loving with numbers behind the scenes in other ways, like exotic engram drops or the way the faction/ib rewards are given out. Around the same time the XP stink kicked off I realised all of my characters will get an exotic drop from PEs within the first handful they do of the week, and then won't get any more until the next reset. I just want to play the game and get cool items to do cool things with, but everything is so strongly built with the concept of only having so many shots per week at getting those cool items. Some of those limits are made obvious, where as others could very well just be glass walls that the game will happily dangle the potential of a reward on the other side of.

Maybe I'm just super loving lucky at the start of the weekly reset? Or is that exotic engram drop a hidden bonus? Or is it a hard limit or a penalty applied to the number that you can get from PEs every week? Is it global across all playlists, or do strikes have their own limits? Is it in some way tied to the XP scaling limits we now know about??? Who knows!

They likely do do some messing around with backend numbers; WoW does a lot of it now where almost every roll includes bad luck protection and improves chances of getting a drop for each boss that doesn't give you something. They do the same in Diablo to ensure a reward rate of something like 1 legendary per hour of play or so.

It's likely that Bungie has a low baseline for exotic drops, as well as progressive bad luck protection to ensure that random chance doesn't completely screw you. I'm less bothered by this since it's mostly about correcting for people's weird perception of probabilities and reward, and for the most part this game is pretty forgiving about loot drops. You might be getting them at around the same time every week because the cycle of your playtime is matching up with the system.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

just chiming in to say that i cashed in my horde of raid keys, and hauled in 3 orpheus rigs and 2 celestial nighthawks. those were the only ones i was missing. i blew up 10 stompeez before that. rng is rng.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MrBadidea posted:

Yeah this stuff sounds really :tinfoil: but with their latest patent about manipulating matchmaking to encourage microtransactions, activision-blizzard have made it pretty clear that they're shitlords who do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. I'm not about to speculate as to what else they might manipulate without telling you in destiny 2 as I don't have much stake in the matter, but it is why I don't believe their story about the exp system when they removed it the instant they got caught.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

treizebee posted:

That's quite a stance to take when the potential of enjoyment I am missing out on is obtaining ~100 legendary shards...a week earlier.
Or
You're wrong and masterworks are dynamically added to legendary engram loot tables and I get a nice surprise when decrpyting.

Dude they specifically redid engrams to have a definitive item and power level inside when you acquire them.

Just accept you’re owned and move on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Love to hoard loot so I can play the game even less when the expansion hits.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I don't understand the deal with the matchmaking tweaked to encourage mtx. Are there even bright engram items that affect pvp at all?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not a destiny thing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rufio posted:

I don't understand the deal with the matchmaking tweaked to encourage mtx. Are there even bright engram items that affect pvp at all?

Because that patent has nothing to do with Destiny 2.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rufio posted:

No thats call of duty where they sometimes drop a guy with really good stuff into a new player match that you can immediately earn by buying 20 lootboxes or something

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_7_o538dM

this is the gist of it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should I hold onto my raid tokens until the 12th or should I spend them today?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
save them

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Tokens can wait, underbelly keys should be used tonight.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My wife and I installed the free trial and are having some fun shooting dudes and watching numbers go up. Two quick questions:

1) I see lots of people upset online about running out of content. Ignoring pvp, roughly how many hours of super casual wandering around and doing whatever is there before it's a repetitive grind?

2) Are there any traps or things we should know? I'd rather not worry about reading guides and min maxing poo poo, but I don't want to regret forever buying a certain unchangeable skill or destroying a rare item or whatever.

I'm probably going to end up regretting not grabbing a Black Friday deal. poo poo.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Digirat posted:

It's not a destiny thing

So why are people referencing it in regards to D2? Just highlighting shittiness?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rufio posted:

So why are people referencing it in regards to D2? Just highlighting shittiness?

Because Activision. And Bungie is already showing that they're trying to do manipulative poo poo

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

incogneato posted:

My wife and I installed the free trial and are having some fun shooting dudes and watching numbers go up. Two quick questions:

1) I see lots of people upset online about running out of content. Ignoring pvp, roughly how many hours of super casual wandering around and doing whatever is there before it's a repetitive grind?

2) Are there any traps or things we should know? I'd rather not worry about reading guides and min maxing poo poo, but I don't want to regret forever buying a certain unchangeable skill or destroying a rare item or whatever.

I'm probably going to end up regretting not grabbing a Black Friday deal. poo poo.

Don't Six Shooter or Mobius Quiver on a hunter, and maybe not take Shatter on a Warlock. Personally, of these, only Six Shooter is an absolutely No Go, Shatter is a preference, and Mobius quiver kinda breaks a really Exotic armor for hunters, the Orpheus Rig. The biggest problem with these skills is that you can't deactivate them without switching skill trees, which is pretty goddamned awful.

Don't shard the swords that Cayde gives you in the end. Take the Nameless Midnight or the Origin Story and never shard either unless you get a higher light level replacement. Ignore what everyone says about what is or isn't a good gun. Try everything, use whatever you like. Pretty much until you're at the raid you can use whatever you like whenever you like and it's not gonna hold you back. Also until you hit like 265 don't bother infusing guns. Take the new poo poo as opportunities to try different stuff, because otherwise you'll be infusing your gun every five minutes. That said, if you find a gun to be kind of lackluster but people really like it, consider hanging on to it for a bit, because it may just not be useful in what you're doing right then and there, but instead may be really good for PVE or PVP but not both.

Use Destiny Item Manager. Seriously. It'll also contain reviews and rankings from people which can be safely ignored, but usually highlight which perks a gun has that are really useful.

Hang on to some of green and white guns from each level, because it'll make it easier to burn through the campaign when you guys decide to start the other classes. Don't make two of your characters the same class, it'll kneecap your progression.

That said, content wise, there's probably not enough to have you play a four or five hours of every day all week long. However, there is more than enough content to last for a while if you don't try to grind, and there's plenty of stuff to do to explore and find and poo poo. People ignore the Adventures and Lost Sectors because they give poo poo-tier rewards generally, but the adventures are fun for story purposes and clearing out a lost sector gives you a few tokens and is an opportunity to shoot a bunch of guys in their stupid faces. Destiny is a good game to bang out a few hours in a couple of nights a week. The weekly milestones are a decent amount of stuff to do, and you can have three characters to do it all on. Plus if you can settle in for a few hours, the Raid is Fun As gently caress. If you and the missus want to shoot space guys for an hour or two after work, it'll be good for you, though it probably won't dominate your nights, unless you get really into it. The only downside is that some of the progression stuff has no matchmaking so you've gotta jump in a discord and find some other people, but finding people to do crucible with or run the nightfall is usually as easy as 'LF1M Nightfall'.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lol if you ever played a loot game and assumed they weren't fudging the numbers in the background for the ~*OPTIMAL PLAYER EXPERIENCE*~. And the exp throttling was ostensibly because they didn't want people grinding out public events instead of doing longer content like strikes., and the communication of the decreased xp was super lovely. Whether that's true or not is up in the air and the low variety of longer content is another issue, but it seems like "content that takes longer to do should be more rewarding" is a fair stance to take.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rufio posted:

Because activision-blizzard's new patent reveals that they are willing to do extremely scummy poo poo to manipulate the experience to promote microtransactions, which is why I don't believe one bit of the story that the exp throttling was somehow meant to make the experience better instead of encourage players to buy lootboxes. That mark brown video is great but I do not think it applies here.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SpookyLizard posted:

Don't Six Shooter or Mobius Quiver on a hunter, and maybe not take Shatter on a Warlock. Personally, of these, only Six Shooter is an absolutely No Go, Shatter is a preference, and Mobius quiver kinda breaks a really Exotic armor for hunters, the Orpheus Rig. The biggest problem with these skills is that you can't deactivate them without switching skill trees, which is pretty goddamned awful.

What does this mean?

Personally, my first time going through the game on my Titan I did literally every adventure and enjoyed it all. This time around on my Hunter I'm only doing the Upgrade Point Adventures but I'll likely go back and finish the rest because the experience (overall in the game) is very fun and clicking heads is very satisfying. I like hitting up Lost Sectors because they give my exploration a purpose, and I don't expect loot from the end chest anyway so I don't get disappointed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Save 5 blue or better scout rifles for an epic quest later.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

nickhimself posted:

What does this mean?

Personally, my first time going through the game on my Titan I did literally every adventure and enjoyed it all. This time around on my Hunter I'm only doing the Upgrade Point Adventures but I'll likely go back and finish the rest because the experience (overall in the game) is very fun and clicking heads is very satisfying. I like hitting up Lost Sectors because they give my exploration a purpose, and I don't expect loot from the end chest anyway so I don't get disappointed.

They're the final talents for trees in the Gunslinger and Hunter class. Ideally, don't select/upgrade them in the class screen because they are poorly balanced and make the ability they modify worse, not better.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Six shooter is getting a buff in Osiris

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Digirat posted:

Because activision-blizzard's new patent reveals that they are willing to do extremely scummy poo poo to manipulate the experience to promote microtransactions, which is why I don't believe one bit of the story that the exp throttling was somehow meant to make the experience better instead of encourage players to buy lootboxes. That mark brown video is great but I do not think it applies here.

Like I said before, I'm not sure what's hard to see about it being both. They want a loot box to take a certain amount of time or effort to earn so they can find a sweet spot that makes people buy them, while not making it so particular activities are optimal for earning boxes for free.

I think it's still kinda scummy, but not really any more scummy they your typical MTX/lootbox since balancing time-to-earn has been how those things have worked forever. Certainly not as scummy as the ideas put forth in the patents.

E: I also think this sort of thing highlights a big problem of lootboxes in retail game with regards to player trust.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 4, 2017

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

SpookyLizard posted:

Don't shard the swords that Cayde gives you in the end. Take the Nameless Midnight or the Origin Story and never shard either unless you get a higher light level replacement. Ignore what everyone says about what is or isn't a good gun. Try everything, use whatever you like. Pretty much until you're at the raid you can use whatever you like whenever you like and it's not gonna hold you back. Also until you hit like 265 don't bother infusing guns. Take the new poo poo as opportunities to try different stuff, because otherwise you'll be infusing your gun every five minutes. That said, if you find a gun to be kind of lackluster but people really like it, consider hanging on to it for a bit, because it may just not be useful in what you're doing right then and there, but instead may be really good for PVE or PVP but not both.

Use Destiny Item Manager. Seriously. It'll also contain reviews and rankings from people which can be safely ignored, but usually highlight which perks a gun has that are really useful.

Hang on to some of green and white guns from each level, because it'll make it easier to burn through the campaign when you guys decide to start the other classes. Don't make two of your characters the same class, it'll kneecap your progression.

That said, content wise, there's probably not enough to have you play a four or five hours of every day all week long. However, there is more than enough content to last for a while if you don't try to grind, and there's plenty of stuff to do to explore and find and poo poo. People ignore the Adventures and Lost Sectors because they give poo poo-tier rewards generally, but the adventures are fun for story purposes and clearing out a lost sector gives you a few tokens and is an opportunity to shoot a bunch of guys in their stupid faces. Destiny is a good game to bang out a few hours in a couple of nights a week. The weekly milestones are a decent amount of stuff to do, and you can have three characters to do it all on. Plus if you can settle in for a few hours, the Raid is Fun As gently caress. If you and the missus want to shoot space guys for an hour or two after work, it'll be good for you, though it probably won't dominate your nights, unless you get really into it. The only downside is that some of the progression stuff has no matchmaking so you've gotta jump in a discord and find some other people, but finding people to do crucible with or run the nightfall is usually as easy as 'LF1M Nightfall'.

This is perfect! Thanks for the detailed response. I doubt we'll play more than 3-4 hours a week, probably spread over multiple nights. Sounds like there's plenty to keep us occupied.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You're going to play for a long loving time if you're only playing 3 to 4 hours a week. In fact I think you're the targeted market for the launch version of the game

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

JerikTelorian posted:

They're the final talents for trees in the Gunslinger and Hunter class. Ideally, don't select/upgrade them in the class screen because they are poorly balanced and make the ability they modify worse, not better.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Figured. There's nothing I really want from the vendor as I already have the items I wanted (the AR and the rocket launcher) and I hate the way the armor looks. I do love the shader but that only drops from the raid.

I am fully loving excited to finally just outright purchase items I want from some of the vendors as I love dressing up my dumb rear end spacemans.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What energy weapon, if any, will combine with my actium war rig and sins of the past to make me never reload anything?

I understand sturm and drang kinda do this but I'm talking more about any energy rares or exotics that passively reload, or gain ammo in mag on kill, stuff like that

Alternately, if that's a no go, where can I focus my attention to get a fast reloading energy hand cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

What energy weapon, if any, will combine with my actium war rig and sins of the past to make me never reload anything?

I understand sturm and drang kinda do this but I'm talking more about any energy rares or exotics that passively reload, or gain ammo in mag on kill, stuff like that

Alternately, if that's a no go, where can I focus my attention to get a fast reloading energy hand cannon?

https://db.destinytracker.com/d2/en/items/3762467077

• Locked thread