Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let's take the show that is known for having some of the best looking sci-fi set designs since Battlestar Galactica and film our alien planet future space empire on a 1992-era Star Trek soundstage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the same creative team that shoehorned in those awful scenes on Laconia. I believe it.

Uh yeah, why wouldn't it be the same team? They were relatively consistent throughout the entire run of the show IIRC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IMO the show was way better in seasons 1-3.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

Honestly that's the problem with the books too. The creative team were operating at the same consistent level of great adaptation all the way through, they were just adapting less good material after the original material.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mu Zeta posted:

No doubt about it

edit: I mean, Im still glad the show got another 3 seasons to finish its story, but they really werent as good as the first 3 were. Never read the books to compare, though

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought season 4 was a lot better than 3. The pivot season 5 took wasn't great though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm the opposite. I really liked Season 5 but I felt so much of Season 4 was dull aside from Amos saying "Thank you" to Murtry.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know if I could sit through Marco Inaros' smarmy rear end again but I liked every season

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Eej posted:

I don't know if I could sit through Marco Inaros' smarmy rear end again but I liked every season

I enjoyed how smarmy he was. Dude was a one hit wonder about to unveil his masterpiece, and the notion that it was all downhill from there because he was no longer useful and didn't have any other tricks up his sleeve never occurred to him.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Say what you will about marco, but he was a bit of a tactical genius. He just hosed with the wrong crew.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
lol no, his big move was a sneak attack that killed billions

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

lol no, his big move was a sneak attack that killed billions

You are aware sneak attacks are tactical unicorns right?

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Marco was fine, but because the show never got to follow up on the Laconia stuff he ended up being the shows ultimate bad guy instead of some dipshit patsy, even though the character is just some dipshit patsy.

I get why it all felt underwhelming for non-book readers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also every Marco scene played out the same and got repetetive. The actor seems like a talented guy but they gave him some boring poo poo to work with. I really liked his manifesto after the attack on Earth but after that he had nothing to do.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
anyone else wish they could go back to the first time they saw PDCs deploying and going BBBRRERRRERRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTT and the childlike glee that inspired?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It was pretty crazy in CQB I think? Where a close-up fight is literally just strapping in, depressurizing the ship, and hoping none of the enemy's PDC rounds pass through anything—or anyone—important

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jakabite posted:

anyone else wish they could go back to the first time they saw PDCs deploying and going BBBRRERRRERRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTT and the childlike glee that inspired?

The best was when Admiral Nguyen launched a bunch of hybrid pods at Mars and the Roci mowed them down.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The best was when Murtry had Naomi and her friend pinned down near the Roci, so Naomi just remote-controlled the Roci to fire a couple PDC rounds in Murtry's general direction, and you see that instead of a minigun, it's actually several main battle tank cannons welded together into something resembling a minigun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PDCs are 40mm rotary cannons. So yeah, big boom.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
For comparrison, the A-10 is 30mm.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Slashrat posted:

The best was when Murtry had Naomi and her friend pinned down near the Roci, so Naomi just remote-controlled the Roci to fire a couple PDC rounds in Murtry's general direction, and you see that instead of a minigun, it's actually several main battle tank cannons welded together into something resembling a minigun.

Yeah this was amazing. Really hammered home the scale of the ships and the sheer force behind everything going down.

That’s something the show did better than anything else I’ve ever seen - there was real tangible physical weight to everything.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

M79 and M203 grenades are 40mm. Never got to gently caress around with a Mk19 unfortunately.

Are the PDCs recoilless or is the recoil supposed to be negligible compared to the overall mass of a ship? I should read the books some time. I have them but why read when I can dump more hours into a Fallout?...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume the recoil is taken into account by the thrusters.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Robert Facepalmer posted:

M79 and M203 grenades are 40mm. Never got to gently caress around with a Mk19 unfortunately.

Are the PDCs recoilless or is the recoil supposed to be negligible compared to the overall mass of a ship? I should read the books some time. I have them but why read when I can dump more hours into a Fallout?...

I read somewhere the little jet flash out the rear of the pdcs was a counter thruster to reduce recoil or rotation or both, but i don't know how canon it is or if the cgi guys just thought it looked cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

I assume the recoil is taken into account by the thrusters.

There's a little rocket on the back of the PDC, you can see it firing to cancel out the recoil.

Same thing with the railgun, the main engine pulses when it fires.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everyone gets a few eighths of an inch shorter when the railgun fires

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The size of the guns did really hammer home how utterly loving insane the Roci crew having the Roci actually was.

Like, no matter what the circumstances, if a bunch of civilians ended up in control of even a very small military vessel, that military is getting it the gently caress back, and every other military in the world, even ones hostile to the country it was stolen from, are probably helping them do it because gently caress dealing with that just flying around.

Mars is like 'well, we wrote a mean letter to earth' and the UN is like 'Hey Holden seems like a good dude, we'll cover him' and it's absolutely batshit. A military drop out, a radical, a divorced dad and bugshit insane former gangster have multiple nukes. Every military ship in the solar system should be gunning for them, constantly, forever holy poo poo. But it's not happening because, I dunno, Avesarala liked his Mum or something?

See also; ANY CIVILIAN HAVING ACCESS TO A FUSION DRIVE. That's like having a car powered by so much nuclear material a small crash results in Hiroshima. It's absolutely insane. That dude who slingshot the ring to get laid could have just turned pointed the back of that ship near Ceres, hit the accelerator and wiped out millions. Epstein bought a 'yacht' that has the explosive capacity to wipe out North America, and then tinkered with it for a hobby. Who the gently caress is selling that, and why are they remotely allowed!?

I love The Expanse, I get that you can't have grounded inter-solar system sci-fi without some form of fusion and you can't just do Star Trek style warp drive space magic because the actual plot is about them dealing with the sudden introduction of space magic.... but goddamn do you have to turn off huge chunks of your brain for a lot of the worldbuilding to even remotely work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it's more that space is huge and we're in the Wild West era of space expansion. Government control only extends as far as the reach of their guns and there's a cold war going on between Earth and Mars which means neither really has the time to go hunt down an errant corvette. Yeah their ship is higher quality but they're essentially pirates and it's not like those don't exist plus Avasarala essentially gives them a letter of marque. Besides, I don't think the Roci docks at any Earth or Martian base at all? They're almost always getting resupplied at a Belter affiliated station.

The only real danger for civilian ships is for space stations. Earth is big enough that a ship trying to dive bomb a city will get targeted by satellite railguns or burn up in the atmosphere. Presumably Belters aren't driving their ships and blowing up Ceres station all the time because the authors don't have that dim of a view of people.

e: I think they even mention a few times that Mars still wants their ship back (ie you're not welcome in Martian space)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Nukes in The Expanse have apparently also become mundane to the point where they are essentially used as mining charges for asteroid mining. The ones they were going to blow up Eros with to stop the protomolecule infection were all mining charges that they repurposed for demolition iirc. Probably not in the same yield range as modern thermonuclear weapons, but still a fair bit more powerful than anything we let civilians get their hands on today. Presumably civilian-grade nukes are made to be very detectable by radiation sensors at the time The Expanse takes place, so there's not as much concern about one being snuck into a place where it is not supposed to be.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Possession is 9/10 the law.

I also enjoyed how the Belters took the Nauvoo/Behemoth from the Mormons and the resolution was essentially 'what are you going to do about it?' IIRC.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The crew also become quite famous for their adventures so there comes a point where taking their ship back by force would be politically inconvenient.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's legitimate salvage. Didn't they fight it out in a lawsuit and win?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lawsuits over the Roci and Nauvoo are kind of a minor running gag in the books. I don't remember if they win, Mars drops it, or book 5 happens and everyone just has more important poo poo to do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean Elon Musk is a total idiot and we let him play with giant rockets and "self driving" cars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The size of the guns did really hammer home how utterly loving insane the Roci crew having the Roci actually was....

See also; ANY CIVILIAN HAVING ACCESS TO A FUSION DRIVE

Yeah, The Expanse uses the aesthetics of 'hard SF' to create verisimilitude (which is fine and good!) but it has no intention of trying to be actually realistic. A lot of the things it dodges have to do with radiation! The wake exclusion zones created by fusion drives and the unhappy amount of neutron-rotted highly radioactive shielding you'd need for a fusion reactor are both tucked neatly away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

The wake exclusion zones created by fusion drives and the unhappy amount of neutron-rotted highly radioactive shielding you'd need for a fusion reactor are both tucked neatly away.

If you're handwaving arbitrarily-efficient fusion drives in the first place, handwaving that fusion scheme being something aneutronic isn't a big deal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slashrat posted:

Probably not in the same yield range as modern thermonuclear weapons, but still a fair bit more powerful than anything we let civilians get their hands on today.

Kind of a funny problem with this. Lower yield devices are more sophisticated than high yield devices, which means that it is likely that those nukes would be fairly powerful because of their crude nature. You start to have to mess with elaborate arrays of neutron reflectors to actually get a useful reaction out of a small amount of fissile material.

Also, they'd go way past fair bit just to work as an actual, usable nuclear device. Even the smallest real world nuclear weapons (like the US W54) are five times as powerful as the largest charges used in mining.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Not a lot of people know this, but the expanse is a work of fiction written by non scientists who did a d&d game

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The size of the guns did really hammer home how utterly loving insane the Roci crew having the Roci actually was.

Like, no matter what the circumstances, if a bunch of civilians ended up in control of even a very small military vessel, that military is getting it the gently caress back, and every other military in the world, even ones hostile to the country it was stolen from, are probably helping them do it because gently caress dealing with that just flying around.

Mars is like 'well, we wrote a mean letter to earth' and the UN is like 'Hey Holden seems like a good dude, we'll cover him' and it's absolutely batshit. A military drop out, a radical, a divorced dad and bugshit insane former gangster have multiple nukes. Every military ship in the solar system should be gunning for them, constantly, forever holy poo poo. But it's not happening because, I dunno, Avesarala liked his Mum or something?

See also; ANY CIVILIAN HAVING ACCESS TO A FUSION DRIVE. That's like having a car powered by so much nuclear material a small crash results in Hiroshima. It's absolutely insane. That dude who slingshot the ring to get laid could have just turned pointed the back of that ship near Ceres, hit the accelerator and wiped out millions. Epstein bought a 'yacht' that has the explosive capacity to wipe out North America, and then tinkered with it for a hobby. Who the gently caress is selling that, and why are they remotely allowed!?

I love The Expanse, I get that you can't have grounded inter-solar system sci-fi without some form of fusion and you can't just do Star Trek style warp drive space magic because the actual plot is about them dealing with the sudden introduction of space magic.... but goddamn do you have to turn off huge chunks of your brain for a lot of the worldbuilding to even remotely work.

I see those things as being connected.

Yes it's batshit that they have a ship as powerful as Roci, but the amount of power in random civilians hands just with civilian tech is batshit terrifying as well so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I mean, the show showed how much power is just in launching a rock. Inertia is a bitch.