Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Deakul posted:

Also I never played Resurrection of Evil, worth it?

I remember it being better than the base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the biggest hurdle every time I go to replay doom 3 is how loving slow the intro is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

I remember it being better than the base game

It's mildly better, it adds a gravity gun and a couple of other gimmick powers but beyond that it's more Doom 3

The only mod that feels really mandatory is duct tape- anything that lets you use the flashlight while you have a gun equipped. This was so popular that it was built into the BFG Edition

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doom 3 gets pretty good once you reach Hell and afterwards since the game remembers it has enemies other than imps (which you can one shot with the shotgun while they're doing their teleport growling animation). Unfortunately there's 5 hours of gameplay before that happens.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fighting the zombies in Hell with your fists owns

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Doom 3 is a bit of a mixed bag but for my money nothing beats the sound and feel of that plasma rifle

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I love Doom 3 (and its expansions), I’ve beaten them repeatedly. I found “scary” Doom to be really refreshing, I loved how the corruption of Hell seeped into the Mars base, I loved the downright horrific Dante’s Inferno-esque portrayal of Hell.

The Doom 3 novels are somewhat less cool, because they have a ton of side plots and barely even cover the demonic incursion, and it makes a bunch of weird changes to the plot made especially strange because the books are written by the same guy who wrote the game.

One of the things I didn’t like in the BFG Edition’s version of ‘Resurrection of Evil’ is that in the vanilla version, when you get to the Delta labs they’re trapped partway phased through Hell and it switches back and forth between a normal version and a “corrupted” version every few seconds; the BFG (and later) Edition omits that effect for some reason.

Escape Goat posted:

Doom 3 is a bit of a mixed bag but for my money nothing beats the sound and feel of that plasma rifle

Also, this. The “thunk-tweeeee” when you reload is awesome.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The BFG edition randomly removes a bunch of parts of the ROE expansion for no reason. Like a section in the final level where you're transported to an arena with a lot of enemies and get to go wild with the demon artifact powers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
BFG Edition also messed with the sewers where you have to keep getting oxygen to remove that mechanic, right? I wonder why they made such big changes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BFG edition more like Bad loving Game Edition :hehe:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

A couple like them increasing how much you get from ammo pickups came from the belief that Doom 3's biggest issues were that it didn't give you enough ammo (they said as much during interviews alongside the flashlight thing) when in the original release even if you don't use any of the lockers it showers you with bullets and you're never at risk of running out unless you have truly godawful aim. I assume the sewers section in ROE being modified to remove the oxygen time limit was because someone decided it was too annoying.
If they had wanted to "fix" both games game they would've reworked enemy spawns, but that would've required too much effort for what was a quick pseudo-remaster made while id was falling apart.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The duct tape mod is bad. Like, it's useful as an accessibility tool I guess but the choice between having a light or having your weapon was an important part of the game's atmosphere and gameplay and removing it is a loss, like the other BFG edition changes people are discussing.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I definitely prefer being able to play the game than struggle through the atmosphere though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The duct tape mod doesn't actually ruin things that much because it only gives you a small circle of light around your point of aim. It's actually a pretty good compromise and slots in amongst other horror games with lovely, unrealistically limited flashlights without obliterating the atmosphere.

I swear there's been other games with the exact same feel but I'm struggling to recall them. One of the Aliens games maybe?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Half-Life and the bevvy of HL horror mods do the horror flashlight thing, and they even snap to whatever it is you're aiming at to jump scare you with every fight if you're susceptible to jump scares like me.

HL2 even tied your flashlight to your running away meter for extra unintended horror-ness.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The BFG edition gives you so much goddamned ammunition that they might as well have gotten rid of all of the ammo entirely and just made everything infinite, it was so pointless.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

bbcisdabomb posted:

HL2 even tied your flashlight to your running away meter for extra unintended horror-ness.

That was such a weird mechanic.

For Doom 3, I agree that the duct tape mod works well, the more limited area of light and the limited weapons you can use it with work well with the mechanics of the game.

I don't think I ever had ammo issues, that's a weird change. I can get removing the oxygen mechanic (though again, I don't remember having an issue with it when I played) but you're never exactly hurting for ammo, outside of the early parts when imps are your most dangerous enemy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I kinda think a good way to balance a flashlight isn't to make it require charging or have it limit other mechanics, it's to make it so you're much more visible to enemies in dark environments by having their accuracy go up and light entering their FOV alerts then like if you shot them.

edit I get that in doom 3 this doesn't work because enemies either teleport in or are in a monster closet and you don't really approach them unawares anyway.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Every time people praise the Doom3 plasma rifle I wonder if their version of the game was different or something. It's extraordinarily cartoonish, from the sfx to the oversized slow-moving orbs to the silly physics ragolls that go flying up to the ceiling. It really doesn't fit in with the vibe Doom3 had going on, and the gunfeel of using a plastic toy that requires no aim (since each bullet is as wide as the corridor you're firing it down) never sat well with me.

Regarding the ducktape'd flashlight, I only ever finished the game with the BFG edition and I was keenly aware that it was killing the scary vibe they worked so hard for, but by golly it made the game tolerable and so I didn't just put it down again for the nth time after barely getting through the opening bits. I didn't know about the BFG edition ammo changes, but it makes sense. Shame they didn't also fix the shotgun, if going for low-hanging fruit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Serephina posted:

Every time people praise the Doom3 plasma rifle I wonder if their version of the game was different or something. It's extraordinarily cartoonish, from the sfx to the oversized slow-moving orbs to the silly physics ragolls that go flying up to the ceiling. It really doesn't fit in with the vibe Doom3 had going on, and the gunfeel of using a plastic toy that requires no aim (since each bullet is as wide as the corridor you're firing it down) never sat well with me.

Regarding the ducktape'd flashlight, I only ever finished the game with the BFG edition and I was keenly aware that it was killing the scary vibe they worked so hard for, but by golly it made the game tolerable and so I didn't just put it down again for the nth time after barely getting through the opening bits. I didn't know about the BFG edition ammo changes, but it makes sense. Shame they didn't also fix the shotgun, if going for low-hanging fruit.

I'm with you on this. One of the best things about the Doom 3 engine is the really tight, per-pixel hit detection.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The praise for the plasma rifle is 99% the reload sound effect, nothing else about the gun.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Half-Life and the bevvy of HL horror mods do the horror flashlight thing, and they even snap to whatever it is you're aiming at to jump scare you with every fight if you're susceptible to jump scares like me.

Duh, Half-Life is probably what I'm thinking of. I just didn't immediately think of it because in my brain it's in the Half-Life genre, not the horror genre. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Don't have much input about Doom 3 that hasn't already been said but I will say that the shotgun sounds had a certain "metallicness" that I thought was pretty unique.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

(Edit: ^^^^^ Maybe Bob Rock was in charge of mixing it? "I'm madly in shotgun with you...")

I like how Doom 3 is where the enemies are scary to you, the player, and then how Doom 2016/Eternal, it's you being scary to the enemy :getin: :clint:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Soooo no mods for Doom 3 then, got it, I shall discard the thought of replaying it from my head.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deakul posted:

Soooo no mods for Doom 3 then, got it, I shall discard the thought of replaying it from my head.

The BFG Edition has the only mod worth using (the duct tape mod) baked in.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Last time I checked, the BFG Edition's tech downgrade also simply wrecks the unique look of Doom 3 into a generic 2000s video game.

Playing only BFG Edition gives you the impression "this game has been long surpassed in every way", instead of doing unique visual effects typical modern games still don't do.

cuc fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 21, 2024

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, uh. install a mod for gun flashlight if you want or whatever instead, but the bfg edition is genuinely worse than stock doom 3 in terms of offering an interesting experience. i don't know why they made the changes they did but they're pretty much most entirely bad.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

cuc posted:

Last time I checked, the BFG Edition's tech downgrade also simply wrecks the unique look of Doom 3 into a generic 2000s video game.

Playing only BFG Edition gives you the impression "this game has been long surpassed in every way", instead of doing unique visual effects typical modern games still don't do.

I think you might be confused about something, BFG Edition didn't change the lighting system and is still present and used.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BFG Edition uses a redone lighting system because the original Doom 3's lighting violated software patents

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

BFG Edition uses a redone lighting system because the original Doom 3's lighting violated software patents
There were lighting engine changes after the initial Doom 3 release due to the Creative patent situation, but the changed version does the exact same thing visually, just a little slower.

The only change BFG Edition makes to the lighting system is disabling the flashlight casting shadows behind enemies by default, because some developer thought it looked ugly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The worst thing about BFG edition is that modding it is a pain. There are a bunch of mods for Doom 3 like the better heads or Trent Reznor sounds that I quite like to use. Being said, I rather replay Prey (2006) to Doom 3.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 21, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does look ugly because the flashlight is always right next to the camera so the shadow it casts is just a thick black edge on one side of the enemy

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Additionally to what The Kins stated, not only is it the same lighting but slower, it was a single line change and it also only applied to the public code. They are still allowed to use the original algorithm in closed source and BFG Edition thus still keeps it.

Also it's pretty obvious that it's still there by observation. It seems weird to claim that it isn't when Doom3s lighting is fairly unambiguous.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 21, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bizzarely, I have a legal 2006 Prey iso but the linux install of it seems to be hard capped at 30fps for some unknowable reason - apparently unrelated to vsync.

I just don't have the heart to play through it like that, in 4:3 no less.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know what the deal with the lighting was then, other than that even though it was easier than ever to use the flashlight I had to use it far less than ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That patent's got to be expiring pretty soon, right?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

haveblue posted:

That patent's got to be expiring pretty soon, right?

US patents last 20 years and it expired either in 2019 or 2022 or somewhere in between depending on if the counter starts when it's filed or when it's published or whatever.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know what the deal with the lighting was then, other than that even though it was easier than ever to use the flashlight I had to use it far less than ever.

They did globally amplify the map light radiuses a smidgen. I also think they may have added more lights in some places, but that I can't be sure of.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I haven't played D3 with the BFG edition changes but man, everything discussed here sounds like a straightforward downgrade.

Also the flashlight mod is for cowards. The is designed around you needing the flashlight as a separate entity in some sections. The run and gun bits are well lit regardless. The flashlight mod ruins the former areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
BFG edition was just porting thing forwards, widescreen support etc. The flashlight has its own little energy bar so you don't actually keep it on at all times; heck, you could make your own conduct and not shoot while it's active if you like?

Doom3 was pretty seriously flawed, don't talk to me about inferior tastes when there's like... *waves hands vaguely* all of the rest of it.