Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Chicken Slayer posted:

In any case, we shall have to see what happens after our brave sons of Blake advance into the jaws of death, hiding behind mountains to stay away from 27 hexes and 100 tonnes worth of sandpapering terror.

Wait, can Banes fly?

A customized variant equipped with jump jets could, but none of the stock variants can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tempest_56 posted:

Only from the rear - I believe there's an optional rule for mule-kicking in a quad.

Oh man, a mule kick from one of the Quads would be awesome to watch. With their improved Justice Foot, can the CrabGuard even stand a chance of continuing to Give no Fucks?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Oh man, a mule kick from one of the Quads would be awesome to watch. With their improved Justice Foot, can the CrabGuard even stand a chance of continuing to Give no Fucks?

Based on reports from the front, bearers of these surname-like titles, "Bloodnames," are certainly a concern to the Crustaceantor Martial. Especially those Clanners who bear the Bloodname Dash. In order to break Clan Hell's Horses morale, I recommend we reach deep into our records and reveal the lostech that ought remain lost. Before the ravages of the Successor Wars, before the rise of the treacherous Amaris, there was something far more horrible.

My Little Pony.

Generation One.

the ares convention doesn't apply to the clans, right?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Only from the rear - I believe there's an optional rule for mule-kicking in a quad.

No, Quads never get two kicks. The only way you can get two kicks is a pilot with the Melee Mastery special ability, which allows an additional melee attack in a round.

The optional "mule kick" rule allows Quads to kick behind them, that's all.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Astus posted:

It'd be perfect if they did. Because then the clanners would manage to have an upgraded Justice Foot, proving their superiority.

Justice Foot IIC, with half of the crit slots taken up and a third less weight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The IIc version of physical attacks would actually be harder to hit with and not have any of the cool bonus options. Cause Clanners don't get maces.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Alright fellow MechWarriors. I'm pretty new to this game, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, but this is pretty simple. I think I'm just going to run to hex 1733. That seems like a discerning sort of hex, there by a mountain for cover.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Any reason one of the Clan 'Mechs has a line titled "Mechwarrior Player"? Or is that a typo PTN?

That MechWarrior is actually a clone of The Boss from Saint's Row. After the Ultor Exodus, Player became one of the most prized of the so-called "Fuckton-of-Bloodnames".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rick_Hunter posted:

Any reason one of the Clan 'Mechs has a line titled "Mechwarrior Player"? Or is that a typo PTN?

Because I use the exact same format as the player 'Mechs for my opforce 'Mechs, which means they have a few lines that don't apply; and one didn't get deleted properly.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I figured as much, I just didn't want to assume that was the case. Maybe you were playing us against each other. Maybe one of the CrabGuards...has been a clansman this entire time! :ninja:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well that would explain some of the previous results. :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Taerkar posted:

Well that would explain some of the previous results. :v:

I`d tell you but then I`d have to kill you :ssh:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

I`d tell you but then I`d have to kill you :ssh:

Who wants to initiate a Trial of Possession for the information? :v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

landcollector posted:

Who wants to initiate a Trial of Possession for the information? :v:

I'm game.

Also game for a Trial of Annihilation against the spy. And a Trial of Grievance against those who knowingly kept the spy's secret. And a Trial of Troll against their friends, because why the hell not?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait a minute... if you wanted to pilot a quad mech, how would the neurohelmet balance thingy work? Wouldn't you want to hook up a horse to the neurohelmet?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait a minute... if you wanted to pilot a quad mech, how would the neurohelmet balance thingy work? Wouldn't you want to hook up a horse to the neurohelmet?

:ranbowdash:

Of course.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Arglebargle III posted:

No. Just No. G-Gundam tried that, it was stupid then, it's stupid now.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Arglebargle III posted:

If I have my druthers on this, the neurohelmet is used to sync the mech's gyroscopic balance system to the pilot's own (inner-ear based) balance system. The actual movement controls are still physical controls.

You're probably thinking of G Gundam, where there's a mech riding a horsemech piloted by an actual horse.

Edit: Beaten on the G Gundam reference.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the canon explanation for neurohelmets is "tilt sensors are lostech, but brain interface systems are not lostech, so we stick a 50 pound CAT scan helmet on the pilot's head that lets the mech use his inner ear to tell which way is up."

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

elitebuster posted:

No. Just No. G-Gundam tried that, it was stupid then, it's stupid now.

Olesh posted:

If I have my druthers on this, the neurohelmet is used to sync the mech's gyroscopic balance system to the pilot's own (inner-ear based) balance system. The actual movement controls are still physical controls.

You're probably thinking of G Gundam, where there's a mech riding a horsemech piloted by an actual horse.

Edit: Beaten on the G Gundam reference.

I had to look that up, and it is apparantly true.

:psyduck:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

I said it was stupid! They also had a windmill gundam. A loving WINDMILL!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

elitebuster posted:

I said it was stupid! They also had a windmill gundam. A loving WINDMILL!

Let's not forget Neo Sweden's gundam- Robo Sailor Moon anyone?

Enough about G-Gundam, tis a silly place. (I like G-Gundam, but I acknowledge it is rather stupid in some respects.)

landcollector fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Why are the reins on that giant robot-horse made out of lasers? I'm all for lasers, mind you, but that seems a bit excessive and silly.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
You guys all seem to be confused, you're repeatedly calling G Gundam stupid before describing ways in how it is completely awesome.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I've just come to the conclusion that one of the more humanoid 'mechs must attempt a DFA.

We must ride the pony

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ActionZero posted:

You guys all seem to be confused, you're repeatedly calling G Gundam stupid before describing ways in how it is completely awesome.

One such way can be said in two words: God.Finger. (aka Erupting, Burning Finger in the dub...)

Another two words: Master. Asia.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've never heard of G Gundam I just thought a horse would probably be better at driving a horse-shaped cyborg robot machine.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arglebargle III posted:

I've never heard of G Gundam I just thought a horse would probably be better at driving a horse-shaped cyborg robot machine.

Horse-shaped mech? No.

Horse power-armour? Maaaaybe...

Elemental Cavalry!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 29, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

You'd think that, but it's still kinda dumb. How would a horse know how to DFA or to avoid closing with a Hunchback?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

less need for a neurohelmet in a quad, the neurohelmet is just there to help the gyro and quads are much more stable than bipeds, also it allows you to ignore say a tilt sensor and delibrately unbalance the mech to say... kick, charge, dfa, tap dance, jump off a cliff and land on a lifting dropship and hold on while boring into the hull with a mechsized drill.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 29, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tarquinn posted:

That was Zeus Gundam from Neo-Greece, right? Also, you were mentioning stereotypical Gundams and you didn't even mention the most :psyduck: one of all? Neo-Mexico had Tequila Gundam, complete with a Gundam sized sombrero and poncho. I forgot if it also had maracas, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did...

G Gundam was all kinds of weird. Awesome, if you ignored the stupid parts, but also weird. Seriously...

Back on topic though, seeing one of the CrabGuard Give no Fucks and DFA'ing one of the Ponymechs, preferably in a more humanoid looking mech, would be hilarious. Ride that loving pony while continuing to Give no Fucks, man! It would probably be doubly hilarious if the Ponymech in question was piloted by Mechwarrior Dash...

Dolash posted:

Horse-shaped mech? No.

Elemental Cavalry!

The thought of this fills me with dread... We've already seen how effective Elementals are. Combining them with Elemental armored cavalry would just be overkill, especially if their mounts happened to be ponies. Oh the carnage that the Inner Sphere would face... CrabGuard, the Unwearied Second, DEST, they would all have nothing against Elemental Pony Cavalry... I shudder even thinking of the consequences...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 29, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

elitebuster posted:

You'd think that, but it's still kinda dumb. How would a horse know how to DFA or to avoid closing with a Hunchback?

And letting goons do those things is better?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

raverrn posted:

And letting goons do those things is better?

Marginally better. Goons have a grasp of mathematics and a certain appetite for simulated violence that leads to them being actually vicious in the pursuit of using the numbers at their disposal to take away as many numbers on the other team as possible.

Horses just want to run free, eat grass and gently caress other horses and sometimes nubile human maidens.

In the situation at hand, I imagine using Goons instead of horses is the superior option.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Horse-shaped mech? No.

Elemental Cavalry!

Well, quad BA is more the successor states' thing, primarily the LC.

Though, there's only three quad BA designs so far:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sloth
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fenrir
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rottweiler

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GhostStalker posted:

That was Zeus Gundam from Neo-Greece, right?

If you're referring to the ones pictured, no; that's Neo-Japan's God Gundam (Burning Gundam in the U.S. dub) riding Fuunsaiki. Fuunsaiki was the horse of Master Asia, the fighter from Neo-Hong Kong and the person who trained Domon Kasshu, pilot of the God Gundam.

I don't remember off the top of my head whether or not Fuunsaiki's horse Gundam had an actual name or not, though.
:goonsay:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
One of the Quads is 80 tons and the other likely moves at least 5/8, our jump-capable mechs are 50 and 55 tons, DFAs are not happening, folks.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

If you're referring to the ones pictured, no; that's Neo-Japan's God Gundam (Burning Gundam in the U.S. dub) riding Fuunsaiki. Fuunsaiki was the horse of Master Asia, the fighter from Neo-Hong Kong and the person who trained Domon Kasshu, pilot of the God Gundam.

I don't remember off the top of my head whether or not Fuunsaiki's horse Gundam had an actual name or not, though.
:goonsay:

Nope, just Fuun Saiki. At least according to gundamofficial.com.
The Zeus gundam had a chariot, and the Tequila Gundam was changed to the Spike Gundam in the english release.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

elitebuster posted:

Well if you had a reasonably large cockpit then the horse could be hooked up to the controls and then a jockey could ride the horse and in riding the horse they would control the mech.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ActionZero posted:

Well if you had a reasonably large cockpit then the horse could be hooked up to the controls and then a jockey could ride the horse and in riding the horse they would control the mech.

And then when it all goes horribly wrong and you have to eject, he can make a quick getaway!

Edit: what if he poops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

raverrn posted:

And then when it all goes horribly wrong and you have to eject, he can make a quick getaway!

Edit: what if he poops

The 'mech dispenses landmines.

• Locked thread