Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Ashheap Empire posted:

I'm just going to apply everywhere for anything I think I can handle. If I have to pay my dues at help desk so be it. Would it be worth it dropping the $600 to get A+ or should the CCNA be enough to show I know enough for entry-level work?

The program I went through to get my CCNA (R&S) cert, seemed to push CCENT(since retired)/CCNA as an entry-level variety of cert...It could be if the candidate is young enough to possibly get internships and such...But otherwise, both of them are sorta *anything but*.

Thankfully it was through WIOA grants, but still. I'm kind of not-so sure I want to renew CCNA, especially if it's not so likely to see use where I currently work, which makes it less practical to get if I'm looking at other places too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

skooma512 posted:

Tip: Desktop support is fine, but do not, repeat, do not expect your employer to promote you into a higher role internally from desktop support. This pretty much does not happen.

So it's sorta like being a vampire's familiar? They don't respect you and they;ll never make you a real vampire.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I really hate that CCNA is pushed as an entry certification. It’s meant to be for somebody who has 2+ years of solid Cisco administration and even they should spend a few weeks/months going over the subjects they are weak in. I wouldn’t expect a CCNA holder with no job experience to know more than I can teach a competent new hire in like, three days.

But also gently caress Cisco in general.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ashheap Empire posted:

I'm just going to apply everywhere for anything I think I can handle. If I have to pay my dues at help desk so be it. Would it be worth it dropping the $600 to get A+ or should the CCNA be enough to show I know enough for entry-level work?

The best way to figure out what certain are worth your time are to go on indeed type in help desk and see what certs are mentioned most.

Certs are for getting past HR, when you get in front of the actual technical people they’ve seen enough paper techs with certs who still aren’t worth anything to learn to actually ask technical questions

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I am going to say based on my experience is that the ccna doesn't have much value, i have found my AWS certs to be more valuable.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The best way to figure out what certain are worth your time are to go on indeed type in help desk and see what certs are mentioned most.

Certs are for getting past HR, when you get in front of the actual technical people they’ve seen enough paper techs with certs who still aren’t worth anything to learn to actually ask technical questions

If I can get in front of someone like that I think I might be good. I built my first gaming pc in the early aughts, have been help desk for myself and everyone in my family for decades, and I've been studying to build my knowledge past those basic day in, day out for months. I really love this stuff, and I really want it and I'm ready to outwork anyone else to get where I want. That's not just what I'm gonna tell the HR puke when/If I can get a resume past the ATS, it's kind of true.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 13, 2023

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Cyks posted:

I really hate that CCNA is pushed as an entry certification. It’s meant to be for somebody who has 2+ years of solid Cisco administration and even they should spend a few weeks/months going over the subjects they are weak in. I wouldn’t expect a CCNA holder with no job experience to know more than I can teach a competent new hire in like, three days.

But also gently caress Cisco in general.

It really didn't feel like an entry level cert when I was taking the test. The questions weren't designed to make sure you understand the basic idea, they wanted to know about weird little details and edge cases. I thought I had overprepped and would breeze through it, instead I probably barely scraped by with a passing score. There were a lot of questions on thing I know weren't on the objectives list or I didn't think I'd have to really study before the CCNP level.

I get the feeling the real point of the CCNA is to fail as many candidates as possible on their first attempt. So yeah, gently caress Cisco in general.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whats a good pathway for Azure certs? Ive got my a+/net+ and soon sec+ and 12 years doing helpdesk (woo!)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats a good pathway for Azure certs? Ive got my a+/net+ and soon sec+ and 12 years doing helpdesk (woo!)

AZ-900 to AZ-104.

You may be able to skip AZ-900 if you have some cloud experience. It's a very basic "here's what cloud computing is and what our products are" type of cert.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FCKGW posted:

AZ-900 to AZ-104.

You may be able to skip AZ-900 if you have some cloud experience. It's a very basic "here's what cloud computing is and what our products are" type of cert.

Yeah, I'm just going direct to 104 myself. If you want to actually use Azure I feel there's no reason to waste time on 900, since you'll probably cover that material on the way to 104.

I'm also sorry to say but you just missed a Microsoft event where they let you get a credit for a free exam for doing modules, and the modules didn't care if you passed the little test or not only that you loaded the pages. I've known them to do this type of thing in November too but I can't say if they will.

Ashheap Empire posted:

So it's sorta like being a vampire's familiar? They don't respect you and they;ll never make you a real vampire.

Basically yeah. I always felt like orgs look down on us and that nothing we ever did could possibly be good enough to warrant mentoring or training. Your ticket queue will be used against you even though we're the dumping ground for a wide variety of issues we may not even be able to resolve ourselves, and the fact we have to physically appear to do the work instead of just remoting and scripting everywhere, and then they turn around like see look at his queue he clearly isn't ready. I've actually asked Azure people at my company directly for mentoring after they just offered such a thing in a learning webinar, and I was ignored lol.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Tip: Desktop support is fine, but do not, repeat, do not expect your employer to promote you into a higher role internally from desktop support. This pretty much does not happen.

So what's the closest to entry level in IT that actually has career potential?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Organic Lube User posted:

So what's the closest to entry level in IT that actually has career potential?

It is the entry level, just don't expect your current employer to train or promote you, regardless of what they may say. You would have to jump jobs to get a higher role, and that includes even just Desktop+ or management of the Desktop team.

Edited to add: I've been doing this for 10 years. I don't have 10 years of experience, I have 10 1 year experiences. It isn't worth very much and largely doesn't count for anything.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 14, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ashheap Empire posted:

The A+ is a stupid waste of time, but it's a stupid waste of time that is on a ton of job listings, which often means you have to have it to get past HR. There are a shitload of people who want to work in IT, which means there are a shitload of applicants for every entry-level job, so it's a good way for HR to whittle down the list of applicants from 6 billion to a mere 60,000. It sucks, but you should probably get it.

One of the big takeaways from the A+ that I personally think you should not need to have an A+ to know, but which apparently a lot of loving idiots working in IT don't know, is that your work on something isn't done until you test it and verify that it's working. Please test things after you think you've fixed them.

Ashheap Empire posted:

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do everything seemed to kind of point in that direction. Everything seems to say A+, then CCNA and/or Sec+. Network+ is like CCNA but not as good. Then everything seems to be saying go into cybersecurity or cloud. All that sounds good to me. I'm also really enjoying learning Javascript on codewars. I started with JS because it seemed like it might be the most useful for a future in cloud or security but now I'm wondering if I should switch to Python for automation and/or data science.

I do think this is the path I want to be on. I like the idea of having a job where I actually get to use my brain. Where you have to constantly be learning. Something you might even call a career instead of a job.

And it wouldn't hurt to not be loving broke all the time. To have to pray for the car to start in the morning because it's 25 years old and I can't afford to get it fixed if something goes wrong. No joke, usually it means I have to teach myself just enough about auto-mechanics to keep it running a little longer. Being poor sucks.

Network+ is like CCNA in that they are both networking-related, but they have pretty different scopes. The goal of Network+ is to introduce you to a lot of concepts. The CCNA does much more "this is how OSPF works" type stuff that Network+ doesn't really get into. I've said this before in here, but I actually do think Network+ is a solid cert.

If you're enjoying your coding stuff, stick with it. Languages come and go but concepts are forever. When you move to a new language, you have to learn new syntax, but the basic mechanics of how to implement a for loop and what makes for good software design are the same in every language.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

guppy posted:

If you're enjoying your coding stuff, stick with it. Languages come and go but concepts are forever. When you move to a new language, you have to learn new syntax, but the basic mechanics of how to implement a for loop and what makes for good software design are the same in every language.

I am very much in the same economic position as Asheap here, only difference is I've been unemployed for some time now. I literally cannot afford the exams i really want so I'll just study the Networking/Cloud concepts in the meantime while learning programming Data Structures and Algorithms.

can you tell i really wanna be a DevOps guy yet?:v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

guppy posted:

The A+ is a stupid waste of time, but it's a stupid waste of time that is on a ton of job listings, which often means you have to have it to get past HR. There are a shitload of people who want to work in IT, which means there are a shitload of applicants for every entry-level job, so it's a good way for HR to whittle down the list of applicants from 6 billion to a mere 60,000. It sucks, but you should probably get it.

One of the big takeaways from the A+ that I personally think you should not need to have an A+ to know, but which apparently a lot of loving idiots working in IT don't know, is that your work on something isn't done until you test it and verify that it's working. Please test things after you think you've fixed them.

Network+ is like CCNA in that they are both networking-related, but they have pretty different scopes. The goal of Network+ is to introduce you to a lot of concepts. The CCNA does much more "this is how OSPF works" type stuff that Network+ doesn't really get into. I've said this before in here, but I actually do think Network+ is a solid cert.

a+ is basically just learning the official terminology and understanding base computer concepts. its dumb and wont get you hired outside of helpdesk but if you get it and your net+ you get a stacked cert, and another for a+/net+/sec+

the mike meyers book comes with the video series access and a voucher for like $25 off the test, i did it for net+ and doing it now for sec+, its a good layout and i felt pretty prepared for my tests doing that and using an app for instant quizzes- Pocket Prep IT and Security. Paid $45 for the 3 month access and its a really good test back/flashcard/quiz app.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also network+ is basically learning the history of "we chose the worst option every time for networking standards and heres a ton of poo poo we did each time to try and fix it. "

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
As useless as A+ is, I just applied for a government job where that was one of the mandatory requirements. Ridiculous but there you have it, one edge case where it came in handy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i was lucky enough to get my a+ for free through a veterans program (IVMF) bc yeah the fact its two tests in one is extremely bs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend me really solid online or print resources that's written in a simple, easy-to-understand way to learn AWS for the Practitioner certification? I've been watching a course on udemy and I'm slowly learning this stuff but it's so drat dry that I have a hard time focusing on it. I got the basics down pretty well: EC2 AIM, S3, ELB, EFS, ect. but if there are tons of different services, say for databases, I really struggle with the learning nuances and use-cases. Anyone here go for the exam? Which resources did you use to help you learn this stuff? I'm just not satisfied with my progress and it's becoming frustrating and depressing. There might be personal undiagnosed mental health issues at play that may be cleared up in the near future are contributing to this but I'm also on the look out for more resources that helps hammer this info into my brain.

I'm not sure which path into AWS I want to take yet, I want to focus on the fundamentals and get a solid foundation before I figure out which associate cert course I want to pursue. Definitely won't be developer, though. I don't have the mind for coding, even if it's the most basic stuff.

Edit: I found the official course on the AWS website, which seems to be my speed so far. I wish I thought to look at this stuff sooner. I didn't know it had an actual course, just that huge resource that explained the different services is massive detail. My question still stands, though. Any supplemental stuff you might have used to help things along would be greatly appreciated!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 14, 2023

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was lucky enough to get my a+ for free through a veterans program (IVMF) bc yeah the fact its two tests in one is extremely bs

Why charge $250 for one test when you can charge $500 for two? It's totally cool, how else is an HR recruiter supposed to know that I know what RAM is? Or that laptops are backlit by CCFLs that need a built in power converter. I love memorizing pages of details about out-of-date technology.

I guess some of it may still be useful. The machine shop I worked at last still ran Windows 2000.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 14, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ashheap Empire posted:

Why charge $250 for one test when you can charge $500 for two? It's totally cool, how else is an HR recruiter supposed to know that I know what RAM is? Or that laptops are backlit by CCFLs that need a built in power converter. I love memorizing pages of details about out-of-date technology.

I guess some of it may still be useful. The machine shop I worked at last still ran Windows 2000.

i work at a company HQ that makes well over $1bill a year and we have a couple systems running win 3.11 in our server room

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hotel Kpro posted:

As useless as A+ is, I just applied for a government job where that was one of the mandatory requirements. Ridiculous but there you have it, one edge case where it came in handy

Sec+ is also a requirement for DoD stuff as I understand it. Like, it doesn't matter if you have a better security certification, if you don't have Sec+ they won't look at you.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Jimbot posted:

Edit: I found the official course on the AWS website, which seems to be my speed so far. I wish I thought to look at this stuff sooner. I didn't know it had an actual course, just that huge resource that explained the different services is massive detail. My question still stands, though. Any supplemental stuff you might have used to help things along would be greatly appreciated!

Thats what I used too. Had trouble keeping my attention with that one too but that might’ve been due to cramming it into 1 week.

If you want a broad exam next take the Solution Architect Associate exam. When you’re looking for something more operational, take SysOps Associate. Both are fine and if you want a course you can take a look at Stephane Maarek (12-15 bucks on udemy) or Adran Cantrill (https://www.cantrill.io). The latter focusses more on understanding and applying the knowledge which means goes more in depth and covers more than just the exam.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

guppy posted:

Sec+ is also a requirement for DoD stuff as I understand it. Like, it doesn't matter if you have a better security certification, if you don't have Sec+ they won't look at you.

Kinda.
There’s a list of approved certs (DoD document 8570.01) that are required to work in an information assurance role. I don’t know what roles hit into which level but generally speaking if you require elevated privileges, you need at least IAT level II, which is satisfied by security+.

Seeing as it’s considered the easiest cert to achieve and the one the military trains people on, it’s the one the vast majority do, but isn’t the only accepted certification.

That said, I’m sure there’s plenty of dumbass recruiters out there who’ve decided it’s just easier to require security + instead.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Part of the CCNP ENCOR involves automation; I was curious if anyone had ideas for projects to help learn those things? In my public sector job I'm mostly typing in the CLI like a caveman and only use scripts in association with putty.

Any project ideas or resources to learn that? I don't have much experience with coding so some direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Captn Kurp posted:

Part of the CCNP ENCOR involves automation; I was curious if anyone had ideas for projects to help learn those things? In my public sector job I'm mostly typing in the CLI like a caveman and only use scripts in association with putty.

Any project ideas or resources to learn that? I don't have much experience with coding so some direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

In the past, I remember that Cisco/Cisco IOS appeared to prefer python. Not to say other scripting languages couldn't also apply though.

Uncertain if anything's changed in recent years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Captn Kurp posted:

Kirk Byers, who wrote the Netmiko module, has a free "Python for Network Engineers" class that he offers roughly four times per year. You sign up, you get an email a week for 10 weeks with a link to one or more videos and some exercises to give you practice. It's terrific. It's not ideal if you have zero exposure to programming concepts, but you really don't need much. The next course starts August 8th. He also has paid courses if there's another topic you're interested in, covering stuff like Ansible and Nornir.

When you are first starting out, I suggest writing stuff that just gathers info. You can't get into too much trouble when all you're sending is show commands.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

guppy posted:

Kirk Byers, who wrote the Netmiko module, has a free "Python for Network Engineers" class that he offers roughly four times per year. You sign up, you get an email a week for 10 weeks with a link to one or more videos and some exercises to give you practice. It's terrific. It's not ideal if you have zero exposure to programming concepts, but you really don't need much. The next course starts August 8th. He also has paid courses if there's another topic you're interested in, covering stuff like Ansible and Nornir.

When you are first starting out, I suggest writing stuff that just gathers info. You can't get into too much trouble when all you're sending is show commands.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you so much!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

guppy posted:

Cool, I’m gonna check this out too. I think I’ve read some blog posts by this dude too but this sounds great.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I need some advice for studying. I'm trying go study for the network + and I went through an entire video lesson package and took notes. Now when I look at my notes I just feel overwhelmed with information and don't know how to tackle it. Did anyone else have a similar issue they can provide advice for?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lucinice posted:

I need some advice for studying. I'm trying go study for the network + and I went through an entire video lesson package and took notes. Now when I look at my notes I just feel overwhelmed with information and don't know how to tackle it. Did anyone else have a similar issue they can provide advice for?

Watch the video again at double speed and take notes again. I’ve personally never found value in rereading notes it’s putting it to paper makes it engage your mind more that i find helpful personally

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Lucinice posted:

i did the mike meyers book and found the videos online.

I also use a quiz app that I paid premium for- Pocket Prep IT and Security. It has a 1k question test bank that you can generate quick quizzes for on the fly whenever i was farting around in line or sitting watching tv or whatever. It helped a ton and has tons of other tests on it too, im using it now for my security+

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can find the scenarios online if you Google a bit and they are 1:1 the actual Net+ scenarios (or at least they were as of last October)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know of a good Apple iOS version of any sort of CCNA trainer?

Trying to force myself to do demo questions on my phone may be helpful. I sure as hell find ways to not do it when I sit in front of a computer.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i did the mike meyers book and found the videos online.

I also use a quiz app that I paid premium for- Pocket Prep IT and Security. It has a 1k question test bank that you can generate quick quizzes for on the fly whenever i was farting around in line or sitting watching tv or whatever. It helped a ton and has tons of other tests on it too, im using it now for my security+

I'm used a video package from Mike funnily enough. That app sounds really good, I'll definitely look into it

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

jeeves posted:

Trying to force myself to do demo questions on my phone may be helpful. I sure as hell find ways to not do it when I sit in front of a computer.

I had the one called CCNA 200-301 Exam Prep. It was good enough to keep me going when I didn't have my computer around. I don't remember it being great, just good enough.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jeeves posted:

pocket prep, the app i mentioned, has a 500 question ccna test bank too

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

r/azure is doing a salary check and the numbers dropping are absurd for people repping AZ-900 (with IT experience to match) alone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

incoherent posted:

r/azure is doing a salary check and the numbers dropping are absurd for people repping AZ-900 (with IT experience to match) alone.

what the gently caress

why was I cursed to be born in canada, the land of you'll-take-your-75k-and-like-it-in-a-perpetual-housing-bubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

incoherent posted:

Tbf that (with IT experience to match) is doing a lot of lifting there. The top upvoted at $130k sounds a little low but I’m guessing it’s there first job managing Azure.