Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
this comic is v good at pulling the true enormous weirdo selves out of characters who give off initial impressions of being sorta cool

heck maybe she only incidentally laughs weird. guess she doesnt appreciate max's humor if so :v

e: u know what she reminds me of visually? red from transistor.

petty witch fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

she was the one who restrained the others when Max was threatening to call the police while they were shoplifting. she probably is the levelheaded one. I would expect she is a lot more likely to mock him in cutting and precise ways than to beat up a kid. but hey, I guess we'll find out shortly

I thought this was a new character, I totally don't remember her at all from earlier.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:siren: NEW UPDATE :siren:

The switchblade fakeout confirms this as a very Yakuza inspired sequence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll admit, that swoosh made me think he was going to do spectral stuff

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PMush Perfect posted:

I very much thought that and would make Stephen go nuts.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
stephen joins a second gang

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think Ritz is a dude but I do think Ritz is probably crushing on Paige, from this convo.

Tfw your crush tells a middle schooler to fight you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guys come on.

If it's new to you, post a link too.

There's no damage to having eight people linking the new page.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Stephen's gonna go on a Berserk arc this rich kid is Griffith

if you aggregate the missed pages Zack's probably keeping pace with Miura

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:siren: NEW UPDATE :siren:

The switchblade fakeout confirms this as a very Yakuza inspired sequence.

Psssh like Ritz would ever have a switchblade comb like a plebian

That's a butterfly knife comb

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PetraCore posted:

I don't think Ritz is a dude but I do think Ritz is probably crushing on Paige, from this convo.

Tfw your crush tells a middle schooler to fight you.

Ritz was introduced as an Heiress. So probably not a man.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think Zack, being nonbinary, is probably including some androgynous/enby/genderfluid/nonconforming characters in their story. I mean R.J. doesn't seem to confuse anybody

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
RJ isn't a boy or a girl, they're a ring wraith.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ritz is constantly throwing me off, because her chin piercings look like teenagers attempt at goatee in some panels, which would be extremely fitting for that character.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They're some kinda weird snakebite piercings

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Ritz was introduced as an Heiress. So probably not a man.

that may

be why

they don't think

ritz is a dude

e: rj is a nazgul this is canon

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think Zack, being nonbinary, is probably including some androgynous/enby/genderfluid/nonconforming characters in their story. I mean R.J. doesn't seem to confuse anybody

RJ is an androgynous shadow in a hoody and jeans. Ritz is very much male presenting but is defined as an heiress. It's a bit more confusing in this instance. Also I mean the only time we've gotten a gender for them at all was the narration calling them an heiress. If that didn't stick out to you every other page has them dressing like a minor Yakuza antagonist.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also lmao, Paige has high heel sneakers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't know how I made the connection but now I'm convinced Paige is gonna be Johnny's older sister.

edit: Wait, no, that doesn't make sense, Stephen would've recognized her.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...Hm, I just noticed that Youth Culture seems to be wearing a skirt, too. Lots of details Zack has just hiding in plain sight, very much their M.O.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Everyone is gay in queer webcomics, it's to prepare heteros of the post gay frog chemicals queerocratcy.

(Remember to pay your gay agenda membership fees yall)

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
im getting huge vibes of "dhampyr as (at least outwardly) glamorous being" from paige

at least, you know, from a preteens perspective

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BlackPersona posted:

...Hm, I just noticed that Youth Culture seems to be wearing a skirt, too. Lots of details Zack has just hiding in plain sight, very much their M.O.

It's possible they're just baggy shorts from this angle, since it appears the black shadow doesn't seem to connect the two leg-holes, but yea, clearly a rebellious gang of rowdy highschoolers

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

A Sometimes Food posted:

RJ is an androgynous shadow in a hoody and jeans. Ritz is very much male presenting but is defined as an heiress. It's a bit more confusing in this instance. Also I mean the only time we've gotten a gender for them at all was the narration calling them an heiress. If that didn't stick out to you every other page has them dressing like a minor Yakuza antagonist.
Eh, Ritz looks more to me like a butch woman than a man. Which isn't always an accurate indication of someone's gender, obviously, and a non-binary person could still call themself an heiress, there's not just one right way to be non-binary.

Anyway, that's why I said I don't think Ritz is a dude, not that I'm sure Ritz is a woman. I'd be all for more non-binary characters.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Eh, Ritz looks more to me like a butch woman than a man. Which isn't always an accurate indication of someone's gender, obviously, and a non-binary person could still call themself an heiress, there's not just one right way to be non-binary.

Anyway, that's why I said I don't think Ritz is a dude, not that I'm sure Ritz is a woman. I'd be all for more non-binary characters.

Eh Ritz really seems to present as masculine to me, and if you miss the heiress bit which is still one piece of narration it's easy to see why people would default to male pronouns, usually when someone presents really strongly one way that's what you go off until told otherwise. Like there's no excuse to keep doing it when told but it's been pretty easy to miss. This is admittedly based on how Ritz looks to me personally, which is androygnous but rocking aggressively masculine presentation. I might just be too used to anime pretty boys though.

RJ pretty much never gets confused by anybody because the story made a big point of it and because RJ is literally an amorphous shadow with no visible gendered characteristics and thus almost literally an avatar of the concept of being nonbinary.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ritz has a fairly androgynous style but has a feminine figure in a fair few panels, like panel one here. Which admittedly doesn't necessarily confirm any particular identification.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ritz is mostly defined by smug privilege, which is why she's skipping school so as to kick a dog because it doesn't have a job.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They identify as capitalist, preferred pronoun is "trash". No possessive because it's implied.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Ritz has a fairly androgynous style but has a feminine figure in a fair few panels, like panel one here. Which admittedly doesn't necessarily confirm any particular identification.
Huh. I didn't notice that. Them's titties. Yeah, between that and the 'heiress' title, I'm gonna default to female pronouns until told otherwise.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

To use the ancient proverb of my people: uuugh cis people

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe just go ask Zack what pronouns they intended for the character (though again heiress implies she/her bc there's no real reason for the narration to misgender her)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The subtitle said heiress on the page the character was introduced on, almost two months ago. Why is this still even enough of a debate that people need to go ask the author directly? Jesus christ.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some are disoriented because she's based on a traditionally male stock character and has many masculine design elements.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Women can be Yakuza delinquents.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
in conclusion, gender is a land of confusion

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Podima posted:

The subtitle said heiress on the page the character was introduced on, almost two months ago. Why is this still even enough of a debate that people need to go ask the author directly? Jesus christ.

Is it a debate? I think people mostly just missed the heiress bit and assumed she was male presenting until corrected.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Considering "Servi" calls her "master" and not "mistress" I feel like she might accept she/he/they and the whole argument is moot.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
this is the world we live in, and the hands we're given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This thread seems to have an invisible touch.