Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Unemployment from May 2020 to 2021 isn't going to raise eyebrows, that's normal. You want the pre-2020 employment if its not going to sink you, whats going to happen if they check references? I'd maybe also try to re-jigger how you're presenting the 3 synchronous jobs because I think a lot of employers will do what we did, which is get kinda excited seeing the jobs then disappointed when they figure out the what the dates are saying. You don't want to look good and then be disappointing.

The content is good but were these essentially 3 clients under one self-employed umbrella?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Do you all still put your phone number on your resume? That seems to be a source of spam for me so I'm thinking of removing it for future job searches.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I have a Google number that I use when dealing with someone directly or applying to a specific job. Otherwise, no.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When I call someone for a phone screen I definitely look at their resume first for a number, so if its missing and I have to dig into the application or w/e I'll be a little annoyed. Probably not a deal breaker but it's not the mindspace you want someone to be in when right before they talk to you for the first time.

No one would care if it's a burner number or not though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You should have a phone number. It does not need to be your normal phone number. Seconding to use a google voice number.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What else would google voice even be for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Selling poo poo on craigo / fbmarketplace

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

:shrug: I've never used it. I assume it just goes to your phone via an app or something. Can you create and destroy them at will so once I finish a job search, that phone number just disappears and every recruiter just calls nobody?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yep! Although chances are good you'll end up with a number that formerly belonged to someone else that did the same thing. It's the circle of life.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Head Bee Guy posted:

I got canned (along with a few others) for leaking to the press, so I’ll claim that they downsized and outsourced my department during the early stages of the pandemic (which isn’t untrue).
Is that likely to be a story that people have heard? If yes, prepare a very good explanation for why you got caught up in the clearing house.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

When I call someone for a phone screen I definitely look at their resume first for a number, so if its missing and I have to dig into the application or w/e I'll be a little annoyed. Probably not a deal breaker but it's not the mindspace you want someone to be in when right before they talk to you for the first time.

No one would care if it's a burner number or not though.

100% agree. A resume without a phone number is an annoyance. Not a dealbreaker but it will make you look a little naive.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i had a couple of my buddies look at my resume, it's all good, but now i've got an interview in a field i've never ever worked in - travel consulting. basically i'd be helping customers and companies navigate travel-related credit bonuses. i'm super excited but i have no idea where to even begin with research before my interview. help??? please????

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

General customer service tips, I'd be most places are keen on people who can do documentation and deflect customer calls. Look up things around customer experience and measuring customer value will get you pretty far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also like know what current exciting offers are in the space and some of the trends.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
can i bring notes to an interview? there are a few statistics i want to bring up specifically but i don't want to sound scripted. also i wanna make sure i ask all the questions i need to ask

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yes

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not only can you bring notes, you should be taking notes during an interview as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just keep it organized. A folder or binder and know where stuff is. Sitting around while someone digs in a backpack or does the "Hold on, it's here somewhere" is an interview flow killer.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Any interview / resume tips for having a very short voluntary turnarounds at a job (less than 3-6 months)? Looks like my new place is not as advertised, and I am considering bailing out. While I don't believe I am in any immediate danger of getting canned, I also feel no need to wait too long to change jobs again. People say you can leave short gaps off your resume, but I don't know if that's correct to do if it's my current employment.

All the stuff I found online says to talk to your boss, but I do not believe they can correct the issues here (and it's not out of malice). Also, in any situation revealing that I am considering leaving a company seems likely to put me in jeopardy.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, just leave it off completely. Easier to explain 3 months of vacation than 3 months of work imo. You can spin it as a "short sabbatical" where you did online courses that are relevant to your employment, say you were developing skills, blah blah.

I'd probably just lie and leave my last job on there as "20XX-present" to avoid the question altogether and if they ever found out, whoops, that must have been an old version of my resume that accidentally got sent in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Remember a resume is a marketing document. You don’t have to put everything it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is this latest job the only short stint in the last 6 or so years? If so I guess I'd leave it on and say something like "It is not looking like the long-term fit I was looking for". If it makes your resume look better you can leave it off. I'd be weary listing your last employment as your current though, that can easily verified and "Guy lied on his resume" is frequently a 1 strike and you're out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

Is this latest job the only short stint in the last 6 or so years? If so I guess I'd leave it on and say something like "It is not looking like the long-term fit I was looking for". If it makes your resume look better you can leave it off. I'd be weary listing your last employment as your current though, that can easily verified and "Guy lied on his resume" is frequently a 1 strike and you're out.

+1

Agree you don't have to put everything. Current employment being left out smells funny though and is likely to be found.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
FYI for people ITT with resumes on Indeed:

One place where keyword stuffing still works super well is Indeed's resume search feature. Their resume searching is pretty good and quite cheap so I bet many companies use it.

There are a few profiles that keep showing up for many different searches along the same lines and its because they successfully hit all the keywords with their long rear end paragraphs lol

I wouldnt suggest the long rear end paragraphs but stuffing in a skill section and including different phrasings of the same thing has worked for them. For example on a wage and hour litigation attorney req they include things like: wage and hour, FLSA, Fair Labor Standards Act, Department of Labor, NYLL, overtime ... all things that are close in nature to the idea of a wage and hour attorney and which different people may search for.

Also make little tweeks once per week or two so you show as "recently updated" which puts you at the top of results.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

It would be the only short stint in approximately that long, yes. Over two years for all other positions. I guess the real question is: what do I put on the resume for some place where I have accomplished almost nothing? I have the goon approved cheevos at my previous places of employment, but I have very little I could put here. Just a job description?

And yeah, lying seems unwise. I personally don't want to lie for my own values (no judgement on anyone else's proclivity for mendacity) and any strategy that requires it is going to be a failure since I am also a a very very bad liar.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Describe the job function in a line or two, don't have much more. You'll need a story here but I think most places will be willing to listen if everything else looks fine.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, for the story: I think the plan would be to just say "It is clear it won't to be the right fit" and if they press for info I'll say something like, "When I started my previous job search, I was really looking to expand and learn in my next role, but once I settled in, it was clear that wasn't going to be the case / be possible, so I need to remain open to the next opportunity."

My brain wants me to say "it was clear they unfortunately could not support me in that" but I think is a shade too negative. I don't think there is a way to completely avoid using No / Not or other words, but "won't be the right fit" is almost a thought-terminating cliche at this point.

If someone really presses for answers, I could offer more specifics about how I got into this predicament, but it feels like if someone is really hounding for details they really just want to find an excuse to pass.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, for the story: I think the plan would be to just say "It is clear it won't to be the right fit" and if they press for info I'll say something like, "When I started my previous job search, I was really looking to expand and learn in my next role, but once I settled in, it was clear that wasn't going to be the case / be possible, so I need to remain open to the next opportunity."

My brain wants me to say "it was clear they unfortunately could not support me in that" but I think is a shade too negative. I don't think there is a way to completely avoid using No / Not or other words, but "won't be the right fit" is almost a thought-terminating cliche at this point.

If someone really presses for answers, I could offer more specifics about how I got into this predicament, but it feels like if someone is really hounding for details they really just want to find an excuse to pass.

This smells like a canned answer. They may or may not press you on it, but it doesnt score you any points or derisk you re: your current short stint. Why should it? It doesnt say much.

You'll want to seem forthcoming with a story that makes sense because it provides a few key details that slot into place. If its because of toxic management it should signal-but-not-say that.

Provide some deets and a resume and we can help you craft this message if you want.

EDIT: Come to think of it I phone interviewed someone today I could not establish a rapport with or get a straight-feeling answer out of. Everything they said felt like they were reading an interviewing cliche textbook. They had an answer for everything, but none of it "felt" truthful or forthcoming. This is for a lawyer who had been in their current job less than a year, and it wasnt their only short stint. My going-to-next-steps phone interviews take about 40 minutes. This one took <15 minutes. This is the risk of offering up answers like this.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 20, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Have a better first answer than "It is clear it won't be the right fit". That sounds a lot like you are in the process of getting fired after harassing a coworker. When someone is dodging a direct question it means they are hiding something. You should have a story. CFP is dead on, you need something that has a few key details, isn't overly negative, and is easy to process and move on from.

"My position prior to my last I plateau'd in my growth, and I took my current role ready to expand my skillset. In 4 months it's been made clear that <skill/tool/w/e> is going to be the focus and I don't see much opportunity beyond that, whereas this position looks like it has <additional stuff>. I'm looking for something long term where I can continue building my skillset."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know how much I want to say here. I don't normally share personal poo poo because the internet is a hosed up place.

Basically, for weird reasons that don't bear getting into, I interviewed with no one that I was going to be working with directly. So, no direct manager that says, "I like the cut of that guy's jib. We should hire him." Also, the job is using technologies that I don't know almost anything about, but I was looking for the chance to expand my resume and hire-ability. It's hard to remember exactly how it went down, but I think the people that hired me didn't think that'd be an issue. Now that I'm here, I don't have the support from the team that I expected to have in order to make the transition. Instead I'm being "told but not told" to do that on my own time which I think is insulting bullshit. Also, poo poo is pretty dysfunctional and everyone is just kinda "yeah that's how it is" whenever something arises.

So how to I make that sound good? I can't impinge the hiring people. I can't say I lacked support.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know how much I want to say here. I don't normally share personal poo poo because the internet is a hosed up place.

Basically, for weird reasons that don't bear getting into, I interviewed with no one that I was going to be working with directly. So, no direct manager that says, "I like the cut of that guy's jib. We should hire him." Also, the job is using technologies that I don't know almost anything about, but I was looking for the chance to expand my resume and hire-ability. It's hard to remember exactly how it went down, but I think the people that hired me didn't think that'd be an issue. Now that I'm here, I don't have the support from the team that I expected to have in order to make the transition. Instead I'm being "told but not told" to do that on my own time which I think is insulting bullshit. Also, poo poo is pretty dysfunctional and everyone is just kinda "yeah that's how it is" whenever something arises.

So how to I make that sound good? I can't impinge the hiring people. I can't say I lacked support.

If you want a specific answer, you're gonna have to provide specifics. If your security requirements don't allow that, that is the trade you make.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

You can probably reframe that into "the project and team I was hired on for changed due to $INDUSTRY_PRESSURE shortly before my start date and I found that I wasn't the right fit skillwise for where the company had evolved in the interval between offer and start" with a little bit of work.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

You can probably reframe that into "the project and team I was hired on for changed due to $INDUSTRY_PRESSURE shortly before my start date and I found that I wasn't the right fit skillwise for where the company had evolved in the interval between offer and start" with a little bit of work.

That won't work for some minor details that I haven't added.

CarForumPoster is probably right that since I don't really want to get more in depth I can't get assistance on this. I'd ask a personal friend but they've all been at their jobs for like 6-10 years so I don't know what they know about interviewing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you don't tell any future employer those details either then how would they know?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

If you don't tell any future employer those details either then how would they know?

The issue isn't that they'll find out. The issue is that I do not want to lie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is answering a question you didn't ask but is it potentially worthwhile to stay in order to expand your resume as was the original goal? it sounds like your main problem is that you aren't getting support from your team or whatever in learning new things, but if it's still an opportunity to learn the new thing and then put it on your resume, it might be worth it to grind for six months and get that done, then job hunt with a new and improved resume. since you aren't very specific it's pretty hard to determine whether this is a reasonable course of action.

have you moved jobs quite a bit? usually people coming in from the outside are very good at identifying dysfunctional stuff (or perceived dysfunctional stuff) and don't really have the context and background to really understand issues and provide solutions. don't be surprised that your longer-tenured coworkers aren't really interested in taking this on. you'll almost certainly find a similar dynamic at any new organization you encounter, including you identifying a bunch of stuff that could and should be improved.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is answering a question you didn't ask but is it potentially worthwhile to stay in order to expand your resume as was the original goal?

I'm big into "asking the right question" so that is an apt thing to bring up.

Is it worth it to stay? That's unclear to me. This is a late breaking development. It's been bad here but I only said, "Wow, okay, I might actually just loving bail" somewhat recently. Though I'm posing this as a plan of action, basically I'm trying to determine the hurdles and risk posed by jumping ship now to assess its viability as a direct alternative to just putting my head down, mentally checking out and searching later. Since the resume might not be a blocker, we aren't necessarily penned in one way or the other yet.

The cases against waiting are:
1: I stayed way too long at my last place and cost myself so I don't want to do it again.
2: Times are almost certainly going to be worse by then so I don't want to be stuck with worse prospects once I am really truly sick of it. (This is double-edged since in harsh economic times, see below.)
3: For *reasons* there is an independent risk to my personal employment unique to this place. It is considered very low, but not zero. It was/is a risk I'm willing to take, but jumping ship does contain an additional "positive EV" by eliminating that risk.
4: Sometimes the job search just takes loving forever, so starting now means it might be done before the AI takes all our jerbs.
5: I am hosed up and actually derive some enjoyment out of working, but I am not getting that here.

The cases for waiting are:
1: If a new place is somehow worse, I'll be in deep trouble.
2: As alluded to above, if I am laid off in tough times, I might be in a real pickle with multiple short stints on my resume. (The question is what is the delta between those risks here and some theoretical new place, which is complicated to imagine.)
3: Looking for work suuuuuucks.
4: It might get better, I might get used to it, I might learn something, etc. Basically, there could even be a boat inside that box.

The current plan (if it could be called such a thing) was to search but only stick with (hopefully) better-looking job scenarios instead of just scattering applications every which way. One reason I accepted this opportunity despite this risk of not knowing the base tech was because I was tired of the interview grind on top of working after about 3 months. So, a easier pace would help.

I guess there is another option: see if I can finagle getting my previous job back, which I think is much more likely to work than usual for *reasons*. I really don't know if that's the correct move anyway and I almost certainly lack the guile to pull it off while maintaining good negotiating position.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

The issue isn't that they'll find out. The issue is that I do not want to lie.
Well that's a you problem so. Seems like your current employer was fine lying to you to get you onboard. Why limit yourself?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Well that's a you problem so. Seems like your current employer was fine lying to you to get you onboard. Why limit yourself?

Nah, don't lie about experiences and stuff in interviews. Sometimes it's ok to tell white lies like "I am moving to this city in 30 days!" because you can make it the truth, but lying about your experiences can come back to bite you.

Magnetic North: I think you have the pieces here to put together a good story. "I was hired to do X, turned out they wanted me to do less of X and more of Y. I feel like I can do better work if I came to you and did X" is a common story and won't be a strike. You can even say "Turns out the people I interviewed with wasn't the team I was placed on, and the work wasn't a good fit". That's not negative and sounds like it's the truth based on what you said. That will fly fine. Don't start badmouthing managers or coworkers, but keeping it to the work is ok. The fact that you felt like you stayed too long last time can help you here as it will help mitigate this short stint.

Overall, if you're not happy you should move, I feel confident in that advice. I sometimes think people chase marginal pay increases at the expense of security and workplace enjoyment and I think thats the wrong move. Conversely, staying somewhere that you don't like is also a bad move. I think you're right to try to look for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

100% agree. A resume without a phone number is an annoyance. Not a dealbreaker but it will make you look a little naive.

What about an address or even a city? I'm used to putting my address on, but I'm applying to a job ~3hr away. My hope is that they'd let me WFH like a decent company, but I know they're a little resistant to having remote work; if they like me enough, maybe they'd make an exception, and it's PM-adjacent so I wouldn't need to be on-site constantly. OTOH, my current job would include my current city, so maybe they'd spot it there and it makes me look like I'm hiding it if I don't include it up-front?