Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

So captain's weakness was getting shot in the face...makes you think.

Astonishingly large numbers of captains aren't weak to that, it's pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Edit: Paypal is dumb and being generous to goons cost me a half hour of playtime and a dime.

Do yourself a favor, don't be nice.

Morter fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 30, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

(Shadow of Mordor)

Orv posted:

It doesn't have many traditional QTEs (in fact it has 3), what you're seeing is Batman combat.

Batman combat is good, although I could do without the pictures of buttons on the screen. I preferred the "waves of anger" symbol used in actual Batman games.

What are these traditional QTEs and do they pop up often? Do you initiate them yourself, are they to shake off enemy attacks, or are they in cutscenes?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Somebody advice me on two action games, an rpg and and some adventure games to play next month when ill be mostly cut off from the net. :v:
https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/zeddnl

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zedd posted:

Somebody advice me on two action games, an rpg and and some adventure games to play next month when ill be mostly cut off from the net. :v:

Darkness 2 and Space Marine for the action games, at least. And you should fit in World in Conflict as well. And Spec Ops.

Maybe Skyrim for the RPG? Research some mods to make it a not-boring piece of poo poo first though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zedd posted:

Play Divinity: Original Sin more than an hour, play through Sniper Elite V2 and remember to actively ignore stealth, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is also really good, Wolf Among Us and the Blackwells are good for adventurin'.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Maybe Skyrim for the RPG? Research some mods to make it a not-boring piece of poo poo first though.

There's this real good one called 'Morrowind'. Pretty good!

For RPGs play The Witcher. drat good game.. As for action games, Stalker Call of Pripyat is a twofer!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really should do divinity yeah, i kickstarted it for pete's sake.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Zedd posted:

From your owned and not played games:
Call of Juarez & Dishonored, Divinity: Original Sin, Walking Dead & Strong Bad, bonus: FTL

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zedd posted:

Based on your unplayed games:

Bulletstorm, Dishonored and Guacamelee for your action games.
FTL, Mount and Blade for your RPGs
Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead will take care of your adventures, Card City Nights for a little card adventure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pun pundit posted:

(Shadow of Mordor)

Batman combat is good, although I could do without the pictures of buttons on the screen. I preferred the "waves of anger" symbol used in actual Batman games.

What are these traditional QTEs and do they pop up often? Do you initiate them yourself, are they to shake off enemy attacks, or are they in cutscenes?

So there's two main QTEs, one for when you're about to die which is a move stick, click appropriate button, survive. The other is for taming beasts prior to getting certain skills, and functions similarly. Also the last boss is a QTE. :smith:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, my only hesitation with Shadows of Mordor was that there's been an embargo on reviews of the PC version only. I was going to wait until that lifts to see if I should get the PC version or the PS4.

I still think that happened mostly because they were afraid of PC reviewers leaking the game to pirates days before its release. Which is not an issue on Xbone and PS4, at least not yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Optimisation on the PC port is stellar, but you do still need a mildly modern rig.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Orv posted:

So there's two main QTEs, one for when you're about to die which is a move stick, click appropriate button, survive. The other is for taming beasts prior to getting certain skills, and functions similarly. Also the last boss is a QTE. :smith:

Cool, seems like I can largely ignore them, then. Except for the spoilered one which is really lovely.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm not trying to make this a SoM thread, but the rate in which enemies spawn and respawn rivals Far Cry 2

For me, this is a good thing. :twisted:

But considering how much some people here don't like having lots of enemies to kill, this might be a bad thing to others.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Morter posted:

I'm not trying to make this a SoM thread, but the rate in which enemies spawn and respawn rivals Far Cry 2

But considering how much some people here don't like having lots of enemies to kill, this might be a bad thing to others.

Its great and I love it. I can't get enough of the combat, so this is a great thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How is Divinity: Original Sin without co-op? Not a lot of people in my friends list have the game and I have no interest in playing with pubbies. The co-op system sounds interesting and I'd hate to miss out on a significant portion of the game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Morter posted:

Also Farcry didn't have fast travel. And the respawns here add the good kind of obstacle to conquer to get to the captain/warchiefs.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Eruonen posted:

How is Divinity: Original Sin without co-op? Not a lot of people in my friends list have the game and I have no interest in playing with pubbies. The co-op system sounds interesting and I'd hate to miss out on a significant portion of the game.

It's fine.

Tezzeract posted:

Also Farcry didn't have fast travel. And the respawns here add the good kind of obstacle to conquer to get to the captain/warchiefs.

Did too. It had those coach/bus thingys.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zedd posted:

Binary Domain is a good action game, and also Darksiders.

If you want adventure games, I see you have the Blackwell series, which is pretty good.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

For any of you adventure game people, the set release date for the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters is October 21st. I'm excited!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Eruonen posted:

You can't lose out on anything. If you play solo, you just control both of the main characters simultaneously. You can either roleplay both characters at once (even in dialogues where they can disagree with each other), or assign a conversation personality to whichever you're not controlling so they'll act by themselves.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

gently caress all the other suggestions, play Dishonored. Play it twice - once as a magic murderous psychopath, and then again as a magic sneaky guy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eruonen posted:

Co-op can be cool, but I prefer the single player. It definitely gives you a better handle on what's going on with quests/the story without having to read the log all the time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

gently caress all the other suggestions, play Dishonored. Play it twice - once as a magic murderous psychopath, and then again as a magic sneaky guy.

And a third time as a no-magic-allowed sneaky guy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

gently caress all the other suggestions, play Dishonored. Play it twice - once as a magic murderous psychopath, and then again as a different magic murderous psychopath in the DLC.

420 leave evy map empty

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dominic White posted:

You can't lose out on anything. If you play solo, you just control both of the main characters simultaneously. You can either roleplay both characters at once (even in dialogues where they can disagree with each other), or assign a conversation personality to whichever you're not controlling so they'll act by themselves.

I assign a personality to both, because I might unexpectedly get into a conversation when controlling the other character for something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Proper Uppercut posted:

For any of you adventure game people, the set release date for the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters is October 21st. I'm excited!

God dammit, why must all the games I'm looking forward to be out in October? :shepspends:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God dammit, why must all the games I'm looking forward to be out in October?November :shepspends:

Being the big Ubisoft idiot that I am, their entire years AAA dump is right at the end of November. :suicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Autumn has always been a big game release period. Normally at the end of September but it has moved closer to Christmas over the years.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

God Dreamfall was so long ago. Thank loving god. Ragnar Tornquivst is actually one of the few people I would say writes good video game stories. I just forget about him because it's been a while (yeah I should maybe jump into TSW).

Sober fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember playing through and beating Dreamfall ages ago, thinking the combat was lovely as gently caress, and now I don't remember anything about it other than I think it had a cliffhanger ending.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember playing through and beating Dreamfall ages ago, thinking the combat was lovely as gently caress, and now I don't remember anything about it other than I think it had a cliffhanger ending.

Both those memories are correct. Luckily there was only like two small sections that required combat.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Banner Saga is $5 on Amazon. Any good?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I liked it, its kind of like viking oregon trail with turn based combat sections.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sober posted:

God Dreamfall was so long ago. Thank loving god. Ragnar Tornquivst is actually one of the few people I would say writes good video game stories. I just forget about him because it's been a while (yeah I should maybe jump into TSW).

When he called it The Longest Journey, he meant it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

If you see the official trailers and think it looks like it's worth a fin, then ya it's worth a fin.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I thought the story was pretty lackluster, as well as the dialog and the overworld parts of the game got pretty tedious but I still want to replay it soon since the artwork was fantastic and the fights were fun. For $5 it's pretty drat good.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Didn't think much of it really.

Got 2 or 3 hours in and had zero desire to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Cool concept, great artwork and music, lovely, lovely fight mechanics. lovely. Like wow did nobody playtest this level of lovely.

• Locked thread