Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tell me if this belongs in another thread, but I have a question about class B and C addresses. Why do B and C have 255.255.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 masks by default? Why don't they have those octets available, especially considering how crowded IPv4 is getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Working in IT 3.0: just ramming into the servers every 0.2 seconds

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't know what gamer gate is. Like I have a super vague understanding but it falls apart at "anti-gamer gate". I also saw "sjw" in that reddit post and I don't know what that means either

Is this what it feels like to be old?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Holy poo poo, Trello looks loving amazing. I've was super excited about the seemingly endless possibilities of Jira/confluence before, but once things got busy, I just found it too clunky and time consuming to interact with. Not to mention, there's so many settings and interdependent pieces that it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Just started playing with Trello and it's blatantly obvious this is a better solution for my situation. Trello is usable out of the box and incredibly simple, which is huge for me if I ever think I'll get buy-in from anyone. Just realized I can create "templates" for existing processes (cards), add members ahead of time, and copy them to other boards, not to mention e-mail to board functionality... It looks like I can probably do the things I was hoping to do with Jira in who knows what year in a matter of hours/days/weeks as opposed to who the gently caress knows with Jira. If anyone is using it, I'd love to pick your brain.

Also, got a fat raise yesterday, acknowledgement that the temp we're searching for to help me out could turn into a permanent position is a possibility, and that I can work from home whenever I want without asking anymore among other things. Woooooooo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tell me if this belongs in another thread, but I have a question about class B and C addresses. Why do B and C have 255.255.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 masks by default? Why don't they have those octets available, especially considering how crowded IPv4 is getting?

I'm not sure I follow you. The subnet mask determines which bits of the address are for the network and which are for hosts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might be misunderstanding what you're asking, but that's based on a 1981 design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network
In 1993 they started to get worried about the future and came up with CIDR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless_Inter-Domain_Routing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In the video I'm watching, they explain it like this:

"Now, a Class A can hold millions, where a Class B can only hold over 65,000. And a Class C can only hold just 254... the subnet mask for an IP address is definitely the key to everything. Now, for default, Class A is 255.0.0.0. What does that mean? That means that the first octet is completely taken.

You cannot do anything with it. You can only change the numbers in the last three octets. With the Class B, the first two octets are full. You can only change the last two octets. And on the Class C address, you can only change the last octet."

So, as I understand it, the number of octets at 0 determine the number of available addresses on that particular first octet. So why do classes B and C limit themselves like that?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

^^^ you are watching a bad video

Yeah class A/B/C isn't really a thing anymore. Although you may find people using them (wrongly) as generic shorthand for /8, /16, and /24 netmasks.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Classful subnetting is the use of the class A /8 B /16 and C /24 subnets. This doesn't really exist anymore.

Classless subnetting is you can use any subnet mask, including the old /24 /16 /8s.

The rfc 1918 address spaces 192.168.0.0/16 172.16.0.0/12 and 10.0.0.0/8 are just spaces that cannot be publicly routed and are available for you to use behind nat. Generally these are what you subnet within if you aren't an ISP.

Using these different subnet masks you can aggregate subnets which is important for optimizing routing and organization. For example 192.168.0.0/24 encompasses the smaller subnets 192.168.0.0/25 and 192.168.0.128/25. 192.168.0.128/25 can further encompass 192.168.0.128/26 and 192.168.0.192/26 and so on.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 25, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it not even on the CCNA? I'm kind of disappointed, because this was a free (to me, paid for by the library) training course, and everything was making a lot of sense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

myron cope posted:

I don't know what gamer gate is. Like I have a super vague understanding but it falls apart at "anti-gamer gate". I also saw "sjw" in that reddit post and I don't know what that means either

Is this what it feels like to be old?

Basically a bunch of internet people have been stalking and threatening this indie game developer because her jealous ex boyfriend claims she slept with a video game reviewer to get good reviews for her indie game. SJW means social justice warrior, which was a originally a term for someone that got butthurt at stupid stuff (people getting mad about cultural appropriation of dreadlocks, people getting offended by me using the word retarded at the end of this post, etc.), but which has been co-opted by men's rights advocates to classify people who disagree with them (re: everyone who isn't retarded).

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

psydude posted:

Basically a bunch of internet people have been stalking and threatening this indie game developer because her jealous ex boyfriend claims she slept with a video game reviewer to get good reviews for her indie game. SJW means social justice warrior, which was a originally a term for someone that got butthurt at stupid stuff (people getting mad about cultural appropriation of dreadlocks, people getting offended by me using the word retarded at the end of this post, etc.), but which has been co-opted by men's rights advocates to classify people who disagree with them (re: everyone who isn't retarded).

Sometimes it feels so good to be old and ignorant of such things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it not even on the CCNA? I'm kind of disappointed, because this was a free (to me, paid for by the library) training course, and everything was making a lot of sense.

Subnetting is on the CCNA, and part of the taught syllabus explains how the first 3 bits of the IP address were used to determine it. It then elaborates and goes into CIDR and VLSM and all that good stuff.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lammle covers Classful subnetting as a starting point, because it's a good, clean starting point to say "You have a class A address, break it into 30 subnets" or whatnot, but I mean... not really.

Plus they are broken up logically - Class A addresses all start 0XXXXXXX in binary, Class Bs are 10XXXXXX and Class Cs are 110XXXXX. So it kind of gives you an initial framework to understand binary conversions and whatnot.

Maybe if you're setting up someone's network from the ground up, you choose whether you want the Class A, B, or C private network address, but there's not really any reason that I can see now to always go with 10.0.0.0. And you don't really have to be thinking in terms of Class A/B/C, just 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x or 192.168.x.x.

**I do not even have a CCNA, I'm just studying for it, what I'm saying could be completely stupid.**

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

This is the most succinct and accurate explanation for GG that I've seen in a while. I'd just add that it also then spun into a larger "video games journalists are corrupt!" front (hence the "actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" meme) while managing to be a wonderful hitching post for all kinds of misogynistic shut-ins.

It took me a while to stop getting it mixed up with GamersGate.com, which is a digital game store that has nothing to do with any of the above crap. I almost feel bad for them. :smith:

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 25, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, good. I'm still in the middle of it, I'm taking advantage of a slow afternoon at work. I thought it was weird, because there's no way this was made before 2007. This is specifically called a CCENT course, and that got introduced in '07.

Gonna do these courses, do the practice exercises, take some practice CCNA tests, and YOTJ the gently caress out of here. Even without this, I've got my eye on two roughly equivalent jobs that would pay more than these guys are willing to pay. The director of IT is still saying that we're entry level T1. Meanwhile we're taking over stuff from T2 left and right, including stuff that my boss with 21 years of experience hasn't ever seen T1 do.

I mean, I'd love to stay here if they were willing to pay me what I'm worth. But that is unlikely.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

psydude posted:

mostly correct except the "jealous ex boyfriend" was actually emotionally and verbally abused by said indie game developer

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone might as well lock this thread ahead of time. Once GG gets mentioned everything goes straight to the shitheap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gamergate is a lot like Israel/Palestine: Both sides do terrible things, everyone feels the need to pick a side, and they kill threads.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
At least we can agree that taking video games/video game journalism like it's serious business or even journalism is idiotic.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

goobernoodles posted:

Holy poo poo, Trello looks loving amazing. I've was super excited about the seemingly endless possibilities of Jira/confluence before, but once things got busy, I just found it too clunky and time consuming to interact with. Not to mention, there's so many settings and interdependent pieces that it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Just started playing with Trello and it's blatantly obvious this is a better solution for my situation. Trello is usable out of the box and incredibly simple, which is huge for me if I ever think I'll get buy-in from anyone. Just realized I can create "templates" for existing processes (cards), add members ahead of time, and copy them to other boards, not to mention e-mail to board functionality... It looks like I can probably do the things I was hoping to do with Jira in who knows what year in a matter of hours/days/weeks as opposed to who the gently caress knows with Jira. If anyone is using it, I'd love to pick your brain.

What process are you currently using (scrum, agile, lean, kanban)?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So my last day is officially over, and I set my out of office message to something professional that says to e-mail somebody else. But I'm really tempted to just change it to:

quote:

I don't even like Justin Bieber, I'm just at this roast because it'll be good for my career.

and I'm not sure why.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

Working in IT 3.0: just ramming into the servers every 0.2 seconds

Oh my god please. This.

Also reading that was a goldmine.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This is the most succinct and accurate explanation for GG that I've seen in a while. I'd just add that it also then spun into a larger "video games journalists are corrupt!" front (hence the "actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" meme) while managing to be a wonderful hitching post for all kinds of misogynistic shut-ins.

It took me a while to stop getting it mixed up with GamersGate.com, which is a digital game store that has nothing to do with any of the above crap. I almost feel bad for them. :smith:

Does "gamer gate" have something to do with the one lady who makes YouTube videos about sexism in games? Or are they different things? I know lots of Twitter people don't like that lady/those videos

I really don't want this to be some grand debate about it so I'll just shut up about it after this one. I figure this is the "safest" place to post about it, if a safe place exists...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's about whatever people want it to be about at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The whole gamergate thing is essentially disgusting misogynistic ~gamers~ aka pieces of poo poo abusing and bullying women and thinking it's ok/hilarious/good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bhodi posted:

It's about whatever people want it to be about at this point.

It's about people whose entire identity in life is playing video games being mad that other people also play video games, especially if they're not white men. Also about how they're mad they can't get laid 90% of the time.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What process are you currently using (scrum, agile, lean, kanban)?
I'm using a barely/poorly configured kaban board with waaaay too much stuff on it. Mixing large projects and sys admin stuff with end-user requests was a very bad idea. I should have foreseen the board becoming the overwhelming data-dump that every other system I've tried to use became happening to this board without segregating more.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Does "gamer gate" have something to do with the one lady who makes YouTube videos about sexism in games? Or are they different things? I know lots of Twitter people don't like that lady/those videos

I really don't want this to be some grand debate about it so I'll just shut up about it after this one. I figure this is the "safest" place to post about it, if a safe place exists...

Are you talking about Anita Sarkeesian? "Tropes vs Women" in games? Sorta, they're related. Basically, she does a lot of videos highlighting areas where video games could improve in their portrayal/treatment of women, you could say.

Without speaking for them, I'll just suffice it to say that the Gamergate crowd doesn't like her message (and generally speaking, her).

She, in turn, has made statements highlighting some of the messages she's received from them, showing them as examples of why things need to change in games, etc.

I think that probably answers your question?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
what is it with people who simultaneously want to avoid talking about gamergate while masturbating over how morally superior they are

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Look out guys we've got a gamer gater over here.

I like games but I try not to be super bizarre about it, and I certainly don't wrap my identity up in it.

Also you've posted 3 times in this thread, 2 of them are supporting gamergate, :frogout:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

goobernoodles posted:

I'm using a barely/poorly configured kaban board with waaaay too much stuff on it. Mixing large projects and sys admin stuff with end-user requests was a very bad idea. I should have foreseen the board becoming the overwhelming data-dump that every other system I've tried to use became happening to this board without segregating more.

Please expand "Peter's House Tech Upgrades" so we may judge. :colbert:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's about people whose entire identity in life is playing video games being mad that other people also play video games, especially if they're not white men. Also about how they're mad they can't get laid 90% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

No fishmeching in the grey forums, you know the rules!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Are you talking about Anita Sarkeesian? "Tropes vs Women" in games? Sorta, they're related. Basically, she does a lot of videos highlighting areas where video games could improve in their portrayal/treatment of women, you could say.

Without speaking for them, I'll just suffice it to say that the Gamergate crowd doesn't like her message (and generally speaking, her).

She, in turn, has made statements highlighting some of the messages she's received from them, showing them as examples of why things need to change in games, etc.

I think that probably answers your question?

Yes, that's exactly who/what I was thinking of. I will not mention anything about it again here. Thank you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Look out guys we've got a gamer gater over here.

I like games but I try not to be super bizarre about it, and I certainly don't wrap my identity up in it.

Also you've posted 3 times in this thread, 2 of them are supporting gamergate, :frogout:

I read this thread but normally don't post because I don't have much to contribute apart from exasperation about people discussing retarded bullshit. Where the hell have I "supported gamergate" in this thread?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh hey, someone else trying to shoehorn agile methodologies into sysadmin work!

I went through quite a bit of that as I tried to implement ~literally any form of project management whatsoever~ and ended up with a kind of pseudo kanban. The important thing to remember is that 99% of the advice you're going to find is about software development. A single team will work on a single project and so the entirety of their work can end up on a single board. There's also much less reactive work in development than there is in IT work (especially if you're putting user requests into your work pipeline).

My first attempt was what I called a modified Kanban wall, which was more of a grid. That actually I made on the wall behind y desk with spare yarn my wife had. It had the various statuses I decided a project could be in in the left hand column, and the various projects in the row on top. We then moved to Trello but had to make the sacrifice of splitting each project up into its own Trello board. We also didn't put user requests into the project pipeline unless they got somewhat complicated and needed coordination among multiple people. An example I remember is a case where somebody wanted something, and so it was somebody's job to get the software license, and another to provision the machine it would run on, and another's to install the software and actually "deliver" it to the user.

Of course I left right as we were getting going so I have no idea how well any of it worked. Knowing them they quickly sank back into their morass of awfulness.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

goobernoodles posted:

http://project-management.zone/system/leankit,trello

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Segmentation Fault posted:

I read this thread but normally don't post because I don't have much to contribute apart from exasperation about people discussing retarded bullshit. Where the hell have I "supported gamergate" in this thread?

I interpreted your "attack" on Anita by saying she's abusive as a justification of Gamergate actions, and your pejorative dismissal of all of us people making fun of gamer gate (aka normal rational people) as being "morally superior" as implicit endorsement of Gamergate. If that is incorrect then I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

what is it with people who simultaneously want to avoid talking about gamergate while masturbating over how morally superior they are

Hey guess what normal people are in fact morally superior to pieces of poo poo like gamergaters. They're also morally superior to Nazis, people who kick dogs, the KKK. It's not a high bar.