Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

LIV is going to probably blow up in flames in a few years but man I’m excited for the stacked field in Portland.
Stacked might be overstating it a bit but there's a few names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The problem is the product on the course is so drat bad

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Faldo leaving CBS next year? I kind of like him on the broadcast.

Immelman replacing him who I also like as well though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Today was pro-am day at the Women's PGA Championship. My pro was Emma Talley who I'm familiar with in part because she won the 2013 US Women's Amateur. She was great and her amateur partners, executives at an energy company, were also quite friendly.

The course is quite hilly and Emma thought the layout was difficult and long. The green weren't that fast, maybe stimping a 10, but they were decently firm. A lot of the greens have tons of slope so it's not clear how much firmer and faster the PGA will make them.

Emma let me try a 12 footer for birder after everyone missed on a par 3; I wasn't watching their putts that closely so I didn't start mine nearly high enough but my speed was good. The coolest moment was when she let me hit a drive with her driver on our 8th hole of the day (one of the caddies also took up her offer). I haven't played in a year so I was very nervous. I hit a slight push fade but the trajectory and distance were impressive looking at least.

Holes to watch out for:
2: long uphill par 3 with heavily guarded green
7: longish par 3 to elevated and heavily guarded green
8: drivable par 4 with heavily guarded green (there's a theme here)
15: long par 4 with blind uphill second shot to a heavily guarded green that tilts front-to-back with a HUGE dropoff behind the green. Expect some big numbers here.

The 18th green juts into a pond and there's no grandstand, just a hospitality tent, so I wonder how it'll look on TV without crowds surrounding it.

Sorry not sorry for the image dump.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 22, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Sweet.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That rules. I went to the Meijer Classic last weekend and am all in on LPGA (to be fair, I was before that anyway haha). Can't wait to watch the PGA Championship.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The PGA wouldn’t have to go crazy with course setup to have a winning score over par. It looks like we’re going to get some rain Wed night/Thu morning but otherwise the forecast is mid 80s Fri-Sun. The winning score will be much higher than at the US Open. Realistically I think -6 could win.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Those are awesome details and it’s really cool to see shots like that of a course setup for a major. Definitely different and nicer than it would be for regular use, but also a different angle than the TV coverage will show too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Those caddies all had some very comfortable looking kicks!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
That course looks pristine. Should make for some excellent golf!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

abigserve posted:

That course looks pristine. Should make for some excellent golf!
A member told me they had to hit off little mats from the tees and fairways last week so there wouldn’t be any fresh divots.

Also, in case you missed it, they doubled the purse to $9 million; the US Women’s Open also went from $5.5m to $10m this year.

https://twitter.com/kpmgwomenspga/status/1539307933573316608

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 22, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I got the sensors installed, there's a small problem though. I can't install the putter sensor because the grip I have on my putter has a built in ball marker on the top of it and even if I take that off, there's a magnet there that holds the marker on. So, I guess I'll see how that works without being able to track my putter.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

So I got the sensors installed, there's a small problem though. I can't install the putter sensor because the grip I have on my putter has a built in ball marker on the top of it and even if I take that off, there's a magnet there that holds the marker on. So, I guess I'll see how that works without being able to track my putter.

I don't know if Arcos is anything like the Garmin CT10, but the putter is maybe the only sensor that matters.

On Garmin, if you only use your watch, it detects impact and gives you Drive and Approach stats, but you won't get Chip or Putt stats because it won't detect where you landed on the green, or how far away from the hole you were on your first putt. I would say that with Garmin, if you only get one sensor for your putter, you're 95% of the way there. You can manually enter every other swing, so the other 13 sensors are mostly convenience of not having to enter anything manually.

Anyway, maybe that doesn't apply, they could be completely different. I will say that I had the same kind of issue with one of those fat grips, because it had a weight you screw in with nowhere to screw in the sensor. Followed an internet how-to where the dude cut off the tip of the sensor and then sanded it down until it was (mostly) flat. Then use you some high quality double-sided tape, and it is probably more secure than screwing in only.

ed: here's the forum post https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-s20/166110/ct10-and-superstroke-putter-grips

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

mattfl posted:

Even if you're not going to use it, make sure you pair the putter sensor or you can't start a round. My putter sensor didn't fit with my grip, so I glued it on. Black tape might work, but you may end up with your sensor in the bottom of your bag.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know if Arcos is anything like the Garmin CT10, but the putter is maybe the only sensor that matters.

On Garmin, if you only use your watch, it detects impact and gives you Drive and Approach stats, but you won't get Chip or Putt stats because it won't detect where you landed on the green, or how far away from the hole you were on your first putt. I would say that with Garmin, if you only get one sensor for your putter, you're 95% of the way there. You can manually enter every other swing, so the other 13 sensors are mostly convenience of not having to enter anything manually.

Anyway, maybe that doesn't apply, they could be completely different. I will say that I had the same kind of issue with one of those fat grips, because it had a weight you screw in with nowhere to screw in the sensor. Followed an internet how-to where the dude cut off the tip of the sensor and then sanded it down until it was (mostly) flat. Then use you some high quality double-sided tape, and it is probably more secure than screwing in only.

ed: here's the forum post https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-s20/166110/ct10-and-superstroke-putter-grips

Ya I think I'm gonna hafta come up with a different way.

This is the putter grip I have -> https://gripdripgolf.com/products/par-4

You can see it has a built in ball marker on the top of it and a kinda weird shape to it. I might hafta keep the ball marker off and find some tape or something to attach it on the top.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone know if replacing a putter face's insert is a semi-common thing I could find a place to do for me? I bought a used (very bargain quality) spider to see if I liked mallets (turns out, I do). But the insert is very worn and even has some damage from clearly not being covered and banging against irons.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

Ya I think I'm gonna hafta come up with a different way.

This is the putter grip I have -> https://gripdripgolf.com/products/par-4

You can see it has a built in ball marker on the top of it and a kinda weird shape to it. I might hafta keep the ball marker off and find some tape or something to attach it on the top.

Put a magnet on the bottom of the arcos sensor and use it as your ball marker!

I stopped using my arccos a long time ago cause it missed so many shots even with the belt clip thing. I wonder if I can order these newer version sensors for free and if they work better.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My putter has a solid, weighted grip, so no screw ins. My driver has an Arcos built in, so my screw in sensor of my Shotscope is glued on with construction glue after I cut the screw off. Works fine.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

nerox posted:

Put a magnet on the bottom of the arcos sensor and use it as your ball marker!

I stopped using my arccos a long time ago cause it missed so many shots even with the belt clip thing. I wonder if I can order these newer version sensors for free and if they work better.

So I came to this thread and saw this post. The 45 day trial packaged showed up today.

If I'm not a gen 1 account holder, I'm definitely gen 2; at any rate, I've been grandfathered in from subscriptions. I figured I could kick this set over to my old man, and if he doesn't want it after a trial, I'd just have a set of backup sensors.

I tried to pair one sensor, and it gave me a message about activating a subscription.

Tried to back out of the message, since I'm not trying to do that, but no dice.

I've logged out and logged in, I've cleared app storage and cache, but it only brings me to that same message. I cannot access my account, view any of my clubs, shots, or stats.

I've messaged the support account to get this fixed; I'm not trying to start a subscription now.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Just got my sensors today as well and I'm trying to work up the motivation to go through the app setup and sensor installation process.

One thing I saw in the little setup book that comes with them is the note that your phone has to be in your front pocket for it to work correctly. Is that actually the case? Because I loving hate having anything in my front pockets other than some tees and ball markers when I play. Phone in the back pocket is fine, but I'm not even going to bother if it has to be in front.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got some of those Arccos sensors from a Ping purchase and the belt thingie and just emailed it right back unopened for a refund. I just couldn't see how I wouldn't go crazy trying to manage it, along with everything else.

It's just easier for me to get club gap numbers occasionally from the Top Tracer app at the range and adjust by 10% (range ballz) and it seems to align pretty much with on course findings.

I did spring for one of these as an upgrade from my 2012 era Bushnell though....

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/rangefinders/coolshot-proii-stabilized.html

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
My Arccos putter sensor never worked reliably when I was using it, and then I got a new putter with a pistol grip so I didn’t bother with it

You have to set the flag location even when the sensor works, so it’s just as easy to add the putt locations (or I usually just estimate the distances on em and don’t worry about exact locations)

I will say I like Arccos overall - beyond just the basic distances, the strokes gained stuff is cool and being able to review rounds from an overhead view is helpful in remembering my screwups and occasional good shots

wyoak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 23, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

BCRock posted:

Just got my sensors today as well and I'm trying to work up the motivation to go through the app setup and sensor installation process.

One thing I saw in the little setup book that comes with them is the note that your phone has to be in your front pocket for it to work correctly. Is that actually the case? Because I loving hate having anything in my front pockets other than some tees and ball markers when I play. Phone in the back pocket is fine, but I'm not even going to bother if it has to be in front.

If you have a smartwatch you can install the caddie app on that and it will use the watch instead of the phone. Or you can get the belt thing.

My dad had the gen 1 sensor on his driver and he would just put his phone on the ground somewhere nearby. It just needs the mic to know when you’ve hit and then it marks the gps location to get an accurate shot distance

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
I’ve got a gear question as a newer golfer. I picked up the Costco Callaway Edge box set last year and love it, but lately I feel like I need something between the 5H and 3W, especially since I’m still struggling to hit the 3W consistently. The 5H is the club I’m most comfortable with so looking at a 3H seems like a reasonable path.

The Edge set is just the 2014 X2 Hot clubs rebadged for Costco, and I could pick up an X2 Hot 3H for pretty cheap and be fairly confident in what I’m getting. That said, I’m wondering if it’s worth spending a few bucks more for something newer (but still going to certified pre-owned route). I’m getting a bit confused looking into it though because even just for Callaway clubs there’s Rogue/Mavrik/Epic for every year and a bunch of variations within those.

Is there any years/models that I should be looking at where there was meaningful improvement, or is it all just marketing fluff and I should just go with the old X2 Hot?

For context, I’m close to breaking 100 but haven’t yet and am doing regular lessons so it’s not a case of throwing a ton of money at equipment instead of actually improving my swing. Just looking to spend <$150 and get something to complement what I already have.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Check out your local used golf gear retailer, and check out some 5 woods and 3 hybrids and see what you gel with. You can get like an older Taylormade M4 hybrid for around that price

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yes, go to a Dick's sporting goods or PGA superstore. I think all of their bays have trackman installed. Find a hybrid in the used club section that you like. If the price is good, get it. If not, purchase it on 2nd Swing.

Pay special attention to the shaft!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Black Hole Bowser posted:

I’ve got a gear question as a newer golfer. I picked up the Costco Callaway Edge box set last year and love it, but lately I feel like I need something between the 5H and 3W, especially since I’m still struggling to hit the 3W consistently. The 5H is the club I’m most comfortable with so looking at a 3H seems like a reasonable path.

The Edge set is just the 2014 X2 Hot clubs rebadged for Costco, and I could pick up an X2 Hot 3H for pretty cheap and be fairly confident in what I’m getting. That said, I’m wondering if it’s worth spending a few bucks more for something newer (but still going to certified pre-owned route). I’m getting a bit confused looking into it though because even just for Callaway clubs there’s Rogue/Mavrik/Epic for every year and a bunch of variations within those.

Is there any years/models that I should be looking at where there was meaningful improvement, or is it all just marketing fluff and I should just go with the old X2 Hot?

For context, I’m close to breaking 100 but haven’t yet and am doing regular lessons so it’s not a case of throwing a ton of money at equipment instead of actually improving my swing. Just looking to spend <$150 and get something to complement what I already have.
3 wood is usually the most difficult club for amateurs to hit. A 3 hybrid might be difficult for you to hit as well. Hybrids are supposed to replace irons, so while it's normal to go from 3 wood to 5 wood, hybrids would be designed to go 3h/4h/5h.

If you just need a club to fill the distance gap between 3w and 5h, a 3h would definitely do the job but a 5 wood would also be a good option and might be easier to hit.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Kameh posted:

So I came to this thread and saw this post. The 45 day trial packaged showed up today.

If I'm not a gen 1 account holder, I'm definitely gen 2; at any rate, I've been grandfathered in from subscriptions. I figured I could kick this set over to my old man, and if he doesn't want it after a trial, I'd just have a set of backup sensors.

I tried to pair one sensor, and it gave me a message about activating a subscription.

Tried to back out of the message, since I'm not trying to do that, but no dice.

I've logged out and logged in, I've cleared app storage and cache, but it only brings me to that same message. I cannot access my account, view any of my clubs, shots, or stats.

I've messaged the support account to get this fixed; I'm not trying to start a subscription now.

That's really lame if they made it if you get newer sensors you lose out on your lifetime account for being an early adopter of the really high priced kit.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
How do you all get height on a fairway wood when hitting off the deck? I hit them alright off a tee but I really struggle to wrap my brain around how to hit so little loft on a tight lie.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Summit posted:

How do you all get height on a fairway wood when hitting off the deck? I hit them alright off a tee but I really struggle to wrap my brain around how to hit so little loft on a tight lie.

This video helped me a lot: https://youtu.be/G9oXlXGwK64

And as always, professional coaching is invaluable if you have a consistent problem with your swing. But my understanding is that fairway woods are, in general, the hardest clubs in the bag to hit well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:effort:

https://twitter.com/BrianZimmerli/status/1540106688736464896

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My group today of Lexi Thompson, Charley Hull, and Hinako Shibuno was pretty uneventful. Lydia Ko and Jessica Korda were 2 groups in front of us and called for rules officials a few times. The course didn't seem too difficult, though I don't think they moved up any of the tee boxes. Lexi gave the standard bearer and me signed used balls after the round. The most exciting thing was Charley duffing a 3 wood tee shot on her 17th hole of the day; it didn't reach the fairway and she let out a decently loud "F*ck!"

I get Nelly Korda, Inbee Park, and Brooke Henderson tomorrow.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Those are some drat fine groups

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, Mondays round was at the same course as today.

I went out with a plan. On approaches, do not check distance to the pin, but whether it was front/middle/back only. Then, shoot for middle on front pins, back on middle pins, back on back pins.

First hole, I forgot (first loving hole) and shot the pin. Right on my G wedge distance. I hit to my exact spot, but sprinkler head, so instead of short birdie putt, awkward chip and two putt. Bogey. Should have followed the plan.

Followed the plan the front 9. Birdied 2, 3, 5. Finish front one over anyway. Decided to attack pins on the back because I was dialed in. Risk did not pay off. 6 over on the back.

18 holes with the plan on Sunday, swear to God.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LIV and let DIE

e: nvm misread live as LIV

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Those are some drat fine groups
Ex-ante I would have preferred Lydia Ko/Jessica Korda or Minjee Lee's groups instead of Lexi's today, but as far as random draws go, I did about as good as you can expect.

Considering what happened today, it would've been cool to see In Gee Chun's round up close. Her -8 round was the largest differential compared to the field average of any major ever, men or women.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I fired up the leaderboard after work to see how things were going and thought there was an error lol

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Ex-ante I would have preferred Lydia Ko/Jessica Korda or Minjee Lee's groups instead of Lexi's today, but as far as random draws go, I did about as good as you can expect.

Considering what happened today, it would've been cool to see In Gee Chun's round up close. Her -8 round was the largest differential compared to the field average of any major ever, men or women.

It might actually be the largest differential of any tour event, major or not, men's or women's, in the SG era.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1540031526624284674

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Nelly has the best looking swing in professional golf. That's super dope you get to follow all those sick players around for the entire tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
IMO LIV should allow sandpaper wedges.